• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racists Getting Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

You can’t say it, can you?

Maybe you should consider why that is for a moment.

You have danced around the question from your first shitty post. I don't give two flying fucks about their kids, I am not the person on the internet calling people niggers. You seem to think that shit is perfectly fine because that person has a kid. That kid is not my responsibility. So I ask you again should people with kids not have to face consequences for their actions, or are you only okay when it's racism?

JC Lately

You have danced around the question from your first shitty post. I don't give to flying fucks about their kids, I am not the person on the internet calling people niggers. You seem to think that shit is perfectly fine because that person has a kid. That kid is not my responsibility. So I ask you again should people with kids not have to face consequences for their actions, or are you only okay when it's racism?

Now, was that hard?

Lothar

Banned
So people shouldn't face consequences because their actions might hurt their kids? So we shouldn't fire anyone for any reason? Or is racism a passable offense to you?

We shouldn't try to get people fired because being fired is awful and makes a whole family miserable, not just that person. Unless they constitute a threat to someone or they're gigantic annoying assholes at work. Certainly not I would say for having thoughts outside the workplace.

Even with the annoying assholes at the workplace, my coworkers and I would rather try to explain to them what they're doing wrong several times before ever reporting them. Getting someone fired should be the absolute last option. I just feel like someone who would do that would be the lowest of the low. I feel bad even when I see assholes I dislike getting fired. Maybe being an asshole isn't something they can even control.

In that vein, I think racists would tend to have a low IQ, and if you say racist things on social media and attach your name and work to them, you have to have a low IQ. Doesn't this like feel too close to punishing people (and their families) for low intelligence?

What if a racist couldn't afford to get their kids christmas presents this year because they were fired? Would you still want them to be fired then?

"Daddy, why didn't Santa come to our house this year?"

"Because...the internet conspired to steal daddy's job. Daddy was just posting there, using his god given right to privacy and freedom of speech."

"Santa hates freedom?"

"Yes he does, son. Yes he does."

:(

JC Lately

What?! Then what was the point of the whole argument?

Argument? I was never arguing. In fact I said I had no intention of arguing several times.
My point is simply this: Like the racist pukes who made theses post in the first place must suffer the unintended consequences for their actions, so too must those crusading to get them fired must be cognizant of the unintended consequnces of their actions. If they are, and have deemed them acceptable, then so be it. But don’t sugar coat it with talk of Xmas presents.

Two Words

"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I don't agree at all with these racists... but I agree even less on the fact that a corporation should be let able to control its employees' freedom of speech in their free time.
I mean really? Do we really want to give to the corporations this kind of power?
I'm a big fan of capitalism, but this to me seems just ridiculous.

Haha, oh wow.

Argument? I was never arguing. In fact I said I had no intention of arguing several times.
My point is simply this: Like the racist pukes who made theses post in the first place must suffer the unintended consequences for their actions, so too must those crusading to get them fired must be cognizant of the unintended consequnces of their actions. If they are, and have deemed them acceptable, then so be it. But don’t sugar coat it with talk of Xmas presents.

hey, no overtime

go home

zeemumu

"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I don't agree at all with these racists... but I agree even less on the fact that a corporation should be let able to control its employees' freedom of speech in their free time.
I mean really? Do we really want to give to the corporations this kind of power?

I think this has more to do with the company not wanting to have its image associated with racism. You're gonna lose business if that happens. It's not like racism is a "maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong" opinion. It's pretty much just wrong.

Enzom21

No one was sugar coating shit, genius. If you knew how to read, you would see I was quoting someone else who brought up Christmas presents. That wasn't even my argument, but you somehow think you won something because I don't care about theoretical kids of racist? Come the fuck on.

A racist losing their job for being racist will just make them more racist and hateful.

I'm not saying they are right or that they shouldn't be fired, but they're not learning anything from this. In their eyes they are just becoming 'victims' and it just fuels a nasty fire.

Entirely possible. Don't have the wherewithal or responsibility to handle their situation beyond ceasing their negative output in public. If they learn beyond that, that's dependent on their local sphere of loved ones and community.

What if a racist couldn't afford to get their kids christmas presents this year because they were fired? Would you still want them to be fired then?

It happens. People do a number of actions that society considers negative, thus ending in loss of employment. I'm unsure why hate speech should be separate category.

The employees retain their right to say what they want. They do not retain their right to a job. You're conflating two different ideas.

And you’re saying its permissible to punish kids for the racism of their parents.
If you’re okay with that, then there is nothing I can do or say to sway your mind. Just have the intellectual honesty to say you’re okay with that.

Children are frequently negatively affected by the negative actions of their parents. Do you believe that isn't or shouldn't be the case?

The Adder

Banned
And you’re saying its permissible to punish kids for the racism of their parents.
If you’re okay with that, then there is nothing I can do or say to sway your mind. Just have the intellectual honesty to say you’re okay with that.

So no one with children should be fired or go to prison or face any negative consequences that may affect their children of any kind, yes?

Agree and I'll be pretty comfortable thinking of you as rather foolish from here on out.

Disagree and I'll be pretty comfortable thinking of you as a closeted racist from here on out.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned, you're opinions are pretty worthless.

What the fuck LOL.

Funny how it's so much easier for some to sympathize with unemployed racists than the minorities these people are so ready to hold back.

Slayven

What the fuck LOL.

Funny how it's so much easier for some to sympathize with unemployed racists than the minorities these people are so ready to hold back.

It's very telling. Folks are bending over backwards to garner sympathy for a group of people that would shit on people for nothign more than being a different shade of skin.

Enzom21

What the fuck LOL.

It is pretty easy to guess why they would be sympathetic to racists or not want racists to face consequences for their actions.

JC Lately

No one was sugar coating shit, genius. If you knew how to read, you would see I was quoting someone else who brought up Christmas presents. That wasn't even my argument, but you somehow think you won something because I don't care about theoretical kids of racist? Come the fuck on.

Oh.

Well, fuck.

Weiss

Banned
A fair sign that your argument is worthless is when you invent victims and prioritize these hypothetical folk over actual people suffering the effects of racism every single day of their lives.

A fair sign that your argument is worthless is when you invent victims and prioritize these hypothetical folk over actual people suffering the effects of racism every single day of their lives.

But what about the racists' dogs? If their owners get fired, they won't be able to get those Beggin Strips

Can someone tell my why having kids gives you a free pass to be an asshole with no consequences? And why these apparently "caring parents" didn't have enough sense not to say incendiary, potentially job threatening shit, on a public forum? Or are they also excuse for that lapse of judgement because kids?

Enzom21

Well he has now. Thanks.

Now that you are on the same page, let's actually discuss what you were saying.
Let's for argument's sake, say the Christmas presents argument was mine. Why are you being sympathetic towards theoretical kids while ignoring the real people experiencing racism?

Anyone have a synopsis of this thread? Got Dang, this thread exploded. My take is, it's your first amendment right to say stupid shit, and it's other's first amendment right to call you out on it.

Enzom21

Anyone have a synopsis of this thread? Got Dang, this thread exploded. My take is, it's your first amendment right to say stupid shit, and it's other's first amendment right to call you out on it.

Cyclical argument after cyclical argument.
People defending racists
People telling people to have sympathy for racists
People using theoretical kids to excuse racism
People far more patient than me trying to reason with stupid as shit arguments like; "racism is abstract"
Basically a shitfest.

Edit:
First Amendment doesn't apply to any of this.

A lot of people screaming "freedom of speech". Do you guys even think about it before you even throw that out there?
Let's says Walmart (very strict company), doesn't like this, do you think they would want to associate themselves with these people? They signed a contract with that company and they can terminate if they think they will give a bad image to the company.
Are people going too far reporting the underdeveloped humans? Yes.

and why is everyone shouting freedom of speech? Freedom of speech means what the government can't do to you. It's not what other, private entity can do to you.

If you shout racist things, you can sure do that as it's your freedom and you won't go to jail.

But if i'm your employer, you can damn well be sure it is also my freedom of speech to say, "you're fired".

I basically summed it up on page 35:

tumblr_nfouyyIdqm1u4zv3ro1_1280.jpg

This was posted on the internet by Boone, of his own free will, in public.

The blog hosting that image thinks maybe Boone's supervisors at Food Lion should know about that.

The above is being minimized and set aside for the sake of calling time out to repeatedly remind people of this.

http://allmymetaphors.tumblr.com

In which college student Hannah Beth had reports sent to her supervisors at school, and an investigation is underway, even though she was simply taking a selfie while wearing a cosmetic facial mask.

tumblr_nfsd3dVUEq1rqbzxro1_500.jpg

What keeps happening is the people constantly throwing the allmymetaphors link up in the thread like Zack Morris calling a time-out are defocusing the conversation on preventing legitimate hate speech like Boone's by holding the people making that speech responsible for their actions, and suggesting the people who are trying to maintain that focus are unfeeling and insensitive for not renouncing their support for those who notified Blakes supervisor, and instead spending that time and energy to figure out how to make life a little easier for Hannah Beth.

However, actually READING the tumblr in question, it seems Hannah herself seems to understand that one can feel shitty for someone innocent getting caught in the crossfire while still supporting the methodology in question.

Hannah said:
on top of all of this now people are using this whole experience of me being doxed as like an ~anti doxing~ thing and calling POC racist for hating me and saying like “THIS IS WHATS WRONG WITH SOCIAL JUSTICE” like please stop doing that!! no one is being racist against me bc im white, doxxing can be a really good tool, social justice is a really important and powerful thing, racists deserve to be punished for their actions. i dont wanna be the poster-child of anti-social justice! i just dont want my life ruined over a lush face mask and then i want this whole thing to die down!

So what's happening here in this thread are people keep using Hannah as a bludgeon (when they're not simply proceeding with an onslaught of misguided and bad analogies as a substitute for using her) to tell people that they're misguided, unfeeling, thoughtless and inconsiderate for supporting efforts to prevent virulent, blatant racism being spread, without actually paying attention to the fact that while Hannah is having a harder time of life right now due to the mistake being made by the person running that blog, she fundamentally agrees with the people in this thread who are having her blog thrown in their face as if it's some unbeatable trump card of internet debate.

There are people in this thread who are taking her story and using it to validate their devaluing of this:

tumblr_nfouyyIdqm1u4zv3ro1_1280.jpg

In return for fostering an atmosphere where people understand that what's really important isn't preventing public displays of hate speech, but that innocent white people might be inconvenienced, and that's sad.

That's basically what happened.

edit: well, actually no, once Hannah could no longer be used as a proper cudgel, someone brought up microwaved babies, and then from there, it became about the suffering of the hypothetical imaginary children of racists. But in the end, it was still the same general divide: People who think it's cool to be notifying employers that their employees are using hate speech online vs.people who are more concerned with whether some poor white person might be accidentally hurt by accusations they were using hate speech.

I love how we can have a 40+ page thread wherein won't somebody think of the poor racist's children, but when we talk about fast-food workers or waitstaff not bringing your order out fast enough, fuck 'em, find another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom