• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racists Getting Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzy

Banned
I love how we can have a 40+ page thread wherein won't somebody think of the poor racist's children, but when we talk about fast-food workers or waitstaff not bringing your order out fast enough, fuck 'em, find another job.
It's because they can't sympathize with a job they don't work at while they can sympathize with things they feel and do themselves.

Petrae

"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I don't agree at all with these racists... but I agree even less on the fact that a corporation should be let able to control its employees' freedom of speech in their free time.
I mean really? Do we really want to give to the corporations this kind of power?
I'm a big fan of capitalism, but this to me seems just ridiculous.

Again with the failure to understand what "freedom of speech" is.

People can say whatever they wish, as long as they're willing to accept the potential consequences that come with them. The police aren't going to arrest these people, and the government isn't going to seek federal charges for opinions/thoughts that are deemed by some to be offensive.

That said, if an employee says something-- either on or off the clock-- that offends people enough to potentially cost their employers money, it makes sense for that employer to distance itself from the employee, before bad publicity worsens and the company suffers.

And... in a constantly connected world, if you choose to use social media to air your potentially offensive or controversial opinions, it can be read by millions and incite potentially damaging reactions. Even if you say something dumb off the clock, you still-- like it or not-- represent whomever you associate with your online presence: your employer, your family, your significant other, your school, etc.

If you use social media responsibly, you won't give your employer a reason to fire you. You need to know what's appropriate for sharing and what's best kept to yourself.

JDSN

Banned
The last thing I want to see is racists go into hiding. I like the ones that wear their hatred proud on their sleeve because then they're easy to avoid.

I dont want this, as a minority prefer racists that use the code words (thug, entitlement, PC society, etc) to the ones that outright want to lynch me, both are pieces of shit, but the former will have an implicit agreement with society to him being forced to tolerate my existence in exchange of him shutting the fuck up about his dumbass beliefs.

Did Hitler come up yet?

Gameguru59 already filled his monthly quota of stuff being worth comparing to the holocaust.

Christine

I dont want this, as a minority prefer racists that use the code words (thug, entitlement, PC society, etc) to the ones that outright want to lynch me, both are pieces of shit, but the former will have an implicit agreement with society to him being forced to tolerate my existence in exchange of him shutting the fuck up about his dumbass beliefs.

Much earlier in the thread, both sides of the discussion seemed to non-controversially accept a bright line distinction between racism and legitimate political opinion. This doesn't seem right to me at all. I would say that overt racism, especially in the form of racial slurs, is condemned broadly and severely enough in mixed company that it is avoided in mainstream political discussion, especially among the politicians themselves. But it's definitely a political opinion that a good chunk of the country is still on board with to some degree. People have the right to cast their votes for racist reasons and toward racist objectives, and they do. That's why although I think there's reasonable cause for concern about the method being used--it has been and still is used to oppress--I'm not ever going to approach those concerns from any angle that provides even the furthest fringe of soft cover to insulate and encourage the flaunting of an ideology I detest.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here, but I think the 'right side of history' is probably bullshit. If the US can become less racist than it has been, it can also become more racist than it is now.

Two Words

Frankly, I think parents that are total racists should have their kids taken away from them before they poison their children. Those kids will have a better chance in the foster system than parents stuck with bigoted morals.

DOWN

Banned
What if a racist couldn't afford to get their kids christmas presents this year because they were fired? Would you still want them to be fired then?
Hopefully the parents knowing why they ruined their kids Christmas will stop the parents from making it another racist Christmas and childhood too. No more racism and a reality check are important gifts.

Majestad

Banned
e8i6VeG.png

I can't stop laughing xD

Just looking at this idiot's face makes me want to punch him.

Averon

Cannot believe people are using "but what about the poor racist's children!!" as an excuse. Will it suck that their kids will suffer? Yeah, but that is on them. These people are going to have the learn what is more important to them: Shouting Nigger!!! Nigger!!! Nigger!!! on their Twitter and Facebook accounts or making sure their kids are provided for.

Cannot believe people are using "but what about the poor racist's children!!" as an excuse. Will it suck that their kids will suffer? Yeah, but that is on them. These people are going to have the learn what is more important to them: Shouting Nigger!!! Nigger!!! Nigger!!! on their Twitter and Facebook accounts or making sure their kids are provided for.

ButItsHard.gif

Favourite is about it being a tough economy out there, don't take away their jobs!

It's always a tough economy. There are loads of more conscientious people out there looking for jobs who don't blow their head off publicly about this kind of stuff.

Maybe take up a job at a racist-accepting company if you need to continue voicing your positions out loud.

FUME5

How is there a debate in here?

People have said some vile shit on social media thinking there will be no repercussions (probably because they associate with fellow racists hence the echo chamber effect), other people have notified their employers, employers have fired them because that shit isn't in line with the current social climate.

Yes these people are definitly going to look into themselves and question their beliefs, not double down on them now that they've been fired, helping fuel a persecution complex.
How long until a site like this produces a mass shooter? Racists already have an inferiority complex.

I read an article once about a black jazz musician who befriends and converts KKK members out of racism. He asks for their KKK garments and has a whole big collection of them.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4333663

Siegcram

How long until a site like this produces a mass shooter? Racists already have an inferiority complex.

I read an article once about a black jazz musician who befriends and converts KKK members out of racism. He asks for their KKK garments and has a whole big collection of them.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4333663
So if a racist gets fired, rages and goes on a shooting spree, that's somehow on the people that got him fired?

Personal accountability really is dead in America smh.

So if a racist gets fired, rages and goes on a shooting spree, that's somehow on the people that got him fired?

Personal accountability really is dead in America smh.
These people are already off-loading their insecurity onto others. How capable of personal accountability do you think they are?

Chariot

These people are already off-loading their insecurity onto others. How capable of personal accountability do you think they are?
So a employer can't fire anyone with insecurities because said person could go do a massacre? Racism is not a mental illness, it's just stupidity and something one can hold publicly in check for the sake of the surroundings and the employer.

Ikael

I feel conflicted.

In one hand, Internet vigilantism is wrong and prone to error, and the self-important powertrip hardon that some people gets from naming and shaming other people in witchunting campaigns disgust me greatly.

But in the other hand, fuck these racists assholes, seriously.

Nozem

I feel conflicted.

In one hand, Internet vigilantism is wrong and prone to error, and the self-important powertrip hardon that some people gets from naming and shaming other people in witchunting campaigns disgust me greatly.

These are my thoughts exactly.

Chariot

I feel conflicted.

In one hand, Internet vigilantism is wrong and prone to error, and the self-important powertrip hard on that some people gets from naming and shaming other people in witchunting campaigns disgust me greatly.

Look, the scale of vigilantism in this case is very tiny, if that is even vigilantism (since it's not above the law). All they do is mail the employer publicly available information of their employees. No private, hidden data stolen, no actual threats to the life and it's for the employer to decide what to do.

iMax

You keep parroting this nearly every page, but what do you propose exactly to be done with these adults? Internment camps?

I do, yeah. I tried to be more specific a few pages back but no, I have no idea what can be done. I'm not trying to outline a proposal here, it's just I believe some sort of intervention is required in order to mitigate these issues on a long-term basis.

I'm not convinced these people understand the context of the language they're using. Sure, they may understand the impact of it, and certainly that it's highly offensive—but not necessarily what it means. I think knowing this would go some way to preventing them from continuously spouting it in public and crucially, to their kids.

If you're a kid and your parents are constantly using racial terms at home, you're gonna grow up thinking it's normal. It's a bit like parents that swear in front of their kids from a young age—they don't understand it's wrong. Someone posted the stages of Moral Development earlier, for example. Kids in the early stages won't understand the significance of what they're saying and without some sort of educational intervention during their developmental years, I don't see the landscape changing much.

Moppet13

Look, the scale of vigilantism in this case is very tiny, if that is even vigilantism (since it's not above the law). All they do is mail the employer publicly available information of their employees. No private, hidden data stolen, no actual threats to the life and it's for the employer to decide what to do.
I got the impression it was more like bombards the employer with information. I think a couple of posts asked for help getting some racists fired if I remember correctly.

I love this sure fire Lisa Simpson "Just don't look!" approach some of y'all think we should take..it's adorable, really. Hungry children and killing sprees..maybe just microwave a baby for sustenance, no?

It's not our job to give a shit. These people are adults who should be responsible for their actions. But for the sake of reiterating, let's see where this thread has led us

People who are off-limits from being fired:
Racists with families/kids
Racists who are insecure

This thread gives me hope for the future!

wildfire

Banned
I do, yeah. I tried to be more specific a few pages back but no, I have no idea what can be done. I'm not trying to outline a proposal here, it's just I believe some sort of intervention is required in order to mitigate these issues on a long-term basis.

Sheesh. If you already were considering interventions let's go all out. A lot of racism is couched in a sense of superiority enabled by colonialism. In addition they have added a sense of cultural superiority about it as well by citing things like Bible as proof of their "advanced thinking."

Force them to work with the people they hate so their beliefs about how lazy, useless, parasitic they are are challenged.
Force them to live with the people they hate to their beliefs about ethics and morality is confronted as well.

That would be the best form of intervention.

iMax

Sheesh. If you already were considering interventions let's go all out. A lot of racism is couched in a sense of superiority enabled by colonialism. In addition they have added a sense of cultural superiority about it as well by citing things like Bible as proof of their "advanced thinking."

Force them to work with the people they hate so their beliefs about how lazy, useless, parasitic they are are challenged.
Force them to live with the people they hate to their beliefs about ethics and morality is confronted as well.

That would be the best form of intervention.

It probably would.

esms

If you're a kid and your parents are constantly using racial terms at home, you're gonna grow up thinking it's normal. It's a bit like parents that swear in front of their kids from a young age—they don't understand it's wrong. Someone posted the stages of Moral Development earlier, for example. Kids in the early stages won't understand the significance of what they're saying and without some sort of educational intervention during their developmental years, I don't see the landscape changing much.

Respectfully, saying "fuck" around kids and saying "nigger" around kids are two vastly different things. It's not even close. My mom and dad swore around me all the time when I was little, and all it did was set me a little ahead of the curve when other kids started swearing. Blatant racism around kids is just not even comparable to swearing.

I love how we can have a 40+ page thread wherein won't somebody think of the poor racist's children, but when we talk about fast-food workers or waitstaff not bringing your order out fast enough, fuck 'em, find another job.

lol
so true

And the kids are already screwed up if the parents are teaching their kids what they preach.

Better for them to learn now that it's freedom of speech, not freedom from consequence.

should people be fired for what they say outside work? Seems kind of wrong no matter how racist they are

Don't be a fool.

When you work or are associated with any organization, you represent that organization where ever you go and whatever you do. Same for when you are non white and have any specific religious affiliations.

Any action you do that would reflect badly on those organizations, group of people or religion can be used as a pr weapon against them.

The sooner people realize this, the better. Conduct yourself professionally in all aspects of your life and bad shit won't come back to haunt you.

Chris Rock covered my issue on "what about the kids?"

The advantage that my children have is that my children are encountering the nicest white people that America has ever produced. Let’s hope America keeps producing nicer white people.

Interviewer: It’s about white people adjusting to a new reality?

Owning their actions. Not even their actions. The actions of your dad. Yeah, it’s unfair that you can get judged by something you didn’t do, but it’s also unfair that you can inherit money that you didn’t work for.

The children always will see negative benefits and positive consequences from their parents. That's life.

iMax

Respectfully, saying "fuck" around kids and saying "nigger" around kids are two vastly different things. It's not even close. My mom and dad swore around me all the time when I was little, and all it did was set me a little ahead of the curve when other kids started swearing. Blatant racism around kids is just not even comparable to swearing.

Absolutely, that's why I said "a bit". The effects are likely similar but on different levels as you say.

Afrikan

I remember when GAF had removed the ability to search someone's post history. I didn't like it and I'm sure others didn't either.

and like many of us expected, some posters started trolling like crazy with no incentive to watch what they said in the past that contradicted what they were saying at that moment... basically getting caught lying.

it is about time a site like this has been created.

I'm sure some of these people tweeting have co-workers who didn't know how they acted outside of work.. (or maybe some had an idea presumptions)

but maybe some of their minority co-workers...or co-workers who were sensitive to minority issues... well maybe these people have been affected by this worker in some way....be a denied promotion, being treated unfairly, or just something that didn't make sense to them... well now maybe they have an idea.

iMax

I remember when GAF had removed the ability to search someone's post history. I didn't like it and I'm sure others didn't either.

and like many of us expected, some posters started trolling like crazy with no incentive to watch what they said in the past that contradicted what they were saying at that moment... basically getting caught lying.

it is about time a site like this has been created.

I'm sure some of these people tweeting have co-workers who didn't know how they acted outside of work.. (or maybe some had an idea presumptions)

but maybe some of their minority co-workers...or co-workers who were sensitive to minority issues... well maybe these people have been affected by this worker in some way....be a denied promotion, being treated unfairly, or just something that didn't make sense to them... well now maybe they have an idea.

You can search post history in Advanced Search. Or do you mean it was brought back?

Afrikan

You can search post history in Advanced Search. Or do you mean it was brought back?

it was gone and then brought back.

sure you could've used Advanced Search or even Google...but it was more troublesome and would miss out on some posts...or at least from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom