• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - I Promise (Unreleased track from "OK Computer")

https://youtu.be/0sFvFVkeGVg

NEW MUSIC VIDEO!

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Biihq5zeyivodqsm2jjw6dnckce
https://open.spotify.com/album/4S1vCHeXk7y2VgTYK1CZlY

The Radiohead song "I Promise" has been released.

This track is one of 3 previously unreleased tracks from the album OK Computer OKNOTOK 1997 – 2017.

http://www.oknotok.co.uk

Folks that pre-ordered the rerelease should check their inbox for download link, available now.

Anyone else downloaded it? I like it a lot. It's amazing! Classic Radiohead stuff.

Just downloaded it. I bought the 24-bit download digital option and it's 96/24. Wasn't expecting that.

Edit: It's a nice track. Sounds like a cross between a track from The Bends and OK Computer.

Very similar to the live versions that were knocking around, but the extra layers give it some real depth. Yorke's voice is perfect.

I can see why it didn't make the album though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
pretty sure I've heard this, or a form of this. Surely, this has made the B-Side rounds of Radiohead over the years?

Blader

pretty sure I've heard this, or a form of this. Surely, this has made the B-Side rounds of Radiohead over the years?

It was a song they played a handful of times back in 1996. There are a couple bootlegs from those performances that have floated around since, but this is the first time the studio version has ever been heard or released.

Nice video and twist.

It was a song they played a handful of times back in 1996. There are a couple bootlegs from those performances that have floated around since, but this is the first time the studio version has ever been heard or released.

If I heard the BBC DJ right yesterday this was considered lost.

The kind of opinion that doesn't pretend everything Radiohead makes is great just because they hype it up.

Radiohead haven't released a good album since Hail. They're skating by on their name.

lulz

In Rainbows is universally acclaimed and considered "great." That's fine if you don't think so, but In Rainbows and A Moon Shaped Pool are, critically speaking, at least considered "good."

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. NOW GIMME MANOWAR

Wait... I preordered but have no email.

It's on Meeting People is Easy too, I think?

The kind of opinion that doesn't pretend everything Radiohead makes is great

Of course.

Radiohead haven't released a good album since Hail. They're skating by on their name.

AHAHAHAWOT

Blader

If I heard the BBC DJ right yesterday this was considered lost.

Yeah I heard that too, that's nuts! Years ago when they were recording Kid A, Ed kept a diary during the process and a couple times mentioned a song they did call Innocent Civilians that they physically lost. Everyone thought it was just a joke and there was never a song in the first place, but maybe they legit have lost studio tracks before...

It seems like a new recording to me. Is it? I'm sure fans with sharp ears can tell the age.

Well Thom's voice doesn't sound like that anymore, so it can't be new, heh. It's just a studio recording they unearthed.

Camper van Beethoven said:
The kind of opinion that doesn't pretend everything Radiohead makes is great just because they hype it up.

If there's one thing you probably can't accuse Radiohead of doing, it would be hyping up their own albums lol

It's on Meeting People is Easy too, I think?

I don't think so, though Man of War is.

C.Mongler

I swear, the "Radiohead hasn't been good since X"/"Radiohead was never good" edge-lord crowd that pops up every time their name is even whispered is just as obnoxious as the Radiohead obsessives. You don't like a popular rock band, wow how cool and unique you must be.

I can understand not liking the new stuff but what about In Rainbows? Compared to HttT In Rainbows was a much better put together album (As is AMSP)

Anyway, really enjoy this song. Of the three unreleased tracks this was the one I never heard before.

Wait... I preordered but have no email.

Check your order confirmation email and see if there's a "You can download your digital goods here" link.

Yeah I heard that too, that's nuts! Years ago when they were recording Kid A, Ed kept a diary during the process and a couple times mentioned a song they did call Innocent Civilians that they physically lost. Everyone thought it was just a joke and there was never a song in the first place, but maybe they legit have lost studio tracks before...

Wouldn't surprise me. Working in an archive I can tell you even in the best circumstances things can still be misplaced.

It seems like a new recording to me. Is it? I'm sure fans with sharp ears can tell the age.

Well Thom's voice doesn't sound like that anymore, so it can't be new, heh. It's just a studio recording they unearthed.

Yeah that's what stuck out to me.

lulz

In Rainbows is universally acclaimed and considered "great." That's fine if you don't think so, but In Rainbows and A Moon Shaped Pool are, critically speaking, at least considered "good."

In Rainbows is boring. It's nowhere near as interesting as A/Amnesiac nor as varied as Hail. It's an album a bunch of teenagers listened to because it was free and now we have a generation acting like it was a great Radiohead album when it's not even top 5. There's at least a few good songs, unlike on TKOL, but it's certainly nothing soecial. I couldn't care less about critics. Bands like Radiohead get all praise multiplied based on their status.

Whoa cool video

In Rainbows is boring. It's nowhere near as interesting as A/Amnesiac nor as varied as Hail. It's an album a bunch of teenagers listened to because it was free and now we have a generation acting like it was a great Radiohead album when it's not even top 5. There's at least a few good songs, unlike on TKOL, but it's certainly nothing soecial. I couldn't care less about critics. Bands like Radiohead get all praise multiplied based on their status.

blasphemy!

In Rainbows is Top 2 in their discog

Sullichin

Lool. Pretty sure it would have been just as acclaimed if it wasn't free. They also played tons of the songs live well before the album came out, as an existing radiohead fan I was hyped, because they were awesome songs. I guess I'm just "acting" like it's a great album? I don't give a shit about critics either. But if you look at thenumbers.rocks , where fans vote on their favorite songs, the top is filled with stuff from IR. Is everyone just pretending to like it? I really don't get your point.

Pavaloo

super infectious

getting crazy nostalgia hearing young thom too

what a treat

edit: oh god this thread. IR is top tier RH my friends.

super infectious

what a treat

Yeah, the song is stuck in my head the instant I heard it, and I'm glad I didn't hear the bootleg versions first. So simple and so good to hear OKC-era Radiohead music with less electronic and more rhythmic beauty.

super infectious

what a treat

All critics are wrong and everyone who enjoys it is a teenager because it was free even though it actually earned them more money before it was physically released than the total run of HTTT.

EVOL 100%

I'm pretty tepid on this song, but then again I always have been. It's the one of the most boring songs out of the unreleased pile that Radiohead has imo.

It's nice to hear 90's era Thom though, dude could sing like a machine.

On IR, I've come to appreciate it a lot more recently, but I still do not get the love that it receives. HTTT, Amnesiac and AMSP all blow it out of the water

Pop is Dead?

C'mon, as much as the boys loath that song, it's still pretty fun, and one of the better PH era tracks.

That music video tho

All music is free to teenagers.

Honestly? It's not a RH thread without controversial opinions, and you know what? They're all acceptable opinion for everyone's taste.

Radiohead is a journey, if your journey deviates from theirs, you may not accept it. If your journey lines up with a certain album then it can become yours forever.

Example: I FUCKING ADORE HAIL TO THE THIEF. It's such a fantastic album that is all about the crash and burn, and desire to stick it to society's thirst for more, and government's trickery to keep you there. I play it way more than other RH albums because it's an exhausting album, and you can feel the band's exhaustion with everything. I fell in love with it when I used to commute to University, tired of the same routine and sleeping in subways.

But I'll still groan when someone disses it, because it's the Stan in us that feels it.

Good track, not great (imo). But also good it wasn't on Ok computer. That's a bit of a perfect album.
There is an inSANE amount of fret-buzz on that guitar, by the way.

Can't wait to hear the rest.

Griss

Huge Radiohead fan, but this isn't very good. Can see why it was left off the album.

Really makes me appreciate where they ended up going, musically. It's like my tastes grew with their growth as musicians or something. Find it hard to listen to Pablo Honey or even The Bends now, and even OK Computer sounds a bit dated and overwrought at times, which sounds sacrilegious to even say (I do still love it).

But Kid A, Amnesiac, In Rainbows, TKoL and A Moon Shaped Pool, though? Blissful. Still sound as fresh and modern as ever. Hail to the Thief is the ugly duckling from that run.

I actually really like it when the drums come in. There's something mechanical about it.

Oh i have no doubt they used it on purpose. The studio recordings during Ok Computer are insane. Fretbuzz is a sound people usually work really hard for not to ever hear on their guitar, so it's a bold move imo. Kinda like it too, as a choice. But as a guitar player i'm almost allergic to the sound, haha.

I agree its an OK song. I can see why it was left off the album too.

Its the modern day OKC. In Rainbows Disc 1+2 is top tier to me. Partially might be because of how special that era of release was to me. The lead up to the deliverance, staying up and watching Scotch Mist live stream on New Years morning, and then seeing them for the first time live was something else.

but yeah, Radiohead album lists are pointless (but fun). Their range of style/sound is so different at this point everyone has a different favorite album.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Oh i have no doubt they used it on purpose. The studio recordings during Ok Computer are insane. Fretbuzz is a sound people usually work really hard for not to ever hear on their guitar, so it's a bold move imo. Kinda like it too, as a choice. But as a guitar player i'm almost allergic to the sound, haha.

Ha! As a truly terrible guitar player who sticks things in the strings to make it sound even more awful, it gives me a little chubby 😄

Top Bottom