• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
High-res patch may be a visual upgrade for one level only as Carmack said. If it arrives at all.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Smokey said:
?

SLI doesn't work in Rage at the moment. If you're getting it to work how so? Afterburner shows 0% utilization for my 2nd card when playing the game...

Sometimes nvidia inspector can be finicky, don't know about afterburner, but when sli doesn't work it can be shown in two different way..

a) the obvious one , 0% on one gpu, 99% on the other
or
b) the much more confusing scenario, it shows both cards at 50%.

Don't know if that's just me but sometimes inspector can be funky.

sk3tch

Smokey said:
?

SLI doesn't work in Rage at the moment. If you're getting it to work how so? Afterburner shows 0% utilization for my 2nd card when playing the game...

Weird. Afterburner shows like 10-15% utilization for my 2nd card. Much more on the 1st card (obviously). I guess by "working" I was saying I can play with no problems with SLI enabled. It's not exactly optimized. You're probably right and it isn't technically working. But at least I don't have to disable it to play and things aren't all wonky (like some games).

subversus

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1236250-rage-support/page__p__18743528#entry18743528

Below are solutions that may resolve issues you're experiencing with screen tearing, as well as blurry textures + texture popping. If you're experiencing these issues, we recommend you try these one at a time. If for any reason your performance suffers, revert back to the prior settings.

Issues w/ screen tearing

RAGE currently does not have a menu option to turn V-sync on or off.

If the graphics driver supports a so called "swap-tear" extension then RAGE will use it and RAGE will V-sync when running >= 60 FPS and RAGE will tear when < 60 FPS. Unfortunately at the release of RAGE, none of the graphics drivers have the "swap-tear" extension enabled.

The user can force V-sync on or off in the graphics vendor control panel. Right-click on the desktop to access the graphics vendor control panel.

If V-sync is forced on then RAGE will always V-sync.
If V-sync is forced off then RAGE will auto-detect that V-sync is not working and RAGE will instead synchronize to real-time and screen tearing may occur.

Alternatively you can force V-sync on by adding the following to the RAGE launch options in Steam:

+r_swapInterval 1

The launch options can be found by right-clicking on RAGE in Steam and selecting "Properties". Then click on "Set Launch Options" in the dialog that pops up.

Blurry Textures and Texture Popping

The texture streaming is limited by the performance and number of cores of the main processor (CPU).

The higher the resolution at which the game renders and the higher the anti-aliasing setting, the more texture data is needed to texture the environment. If you do not have a high end CPU you may momentarily see blurrier textures and texture popping when the view changes quickly.

If you have a processor with few cores and you have a high end NVIDIA graphics card then you can try turning on the "GPU Transcode" menu option in the video settings menu in RAGE. By enabling this option a large percentage of the texture calculations are moved to the graphics\ processor (GPU). However, this option is not available on all graphics hardware and may not appear in the menu if your hardware does not support the necessary features.

On processors with few cores without the ability to turn on "GPU Transcode" you can significantly improve the texture streaming performance by adding the following to the RAGE launch options in Steam:

+vt_maxPPF 16

The launch options can be found by right-clicking on RAGE in Steam and selecting "Properties". Then click on "Set Launch Options" in the dialog that pops up.

If you have very few cores like a dual core processor then you can set a lower value like:

+vt_maxPPF 8

If setting these values does not improve the texture streaming performance for you then consider lowering the anti-aliasing setting in the video settings menu in RAGE.

You may, for instance, observe slow texture streaming at high resolutions like 2500 x 1600 with anti-aliasing set to 16X. In some cases lowering the anti-aliasing to 8X fixes the problem but lower settings may further improve
the texture streaming. Alternatively, or in addition, you can lower the
resolution.

We hope these help. The teams at id and Bethesda continue to work solutions to help you guys. More to come!

this is making me a little worried that my setup won't be up to snuff, at least in the GPU and ram area.

6850OC 1GB and 4GB DDR2-1066 system ram. my 3.5ghz quad will be fine though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For what it's worth, I'm still running a Core2Duo - along with a GTX 570 - and with vt_usecudatranscode 2 (utilise all CUDA cores for texture streaming; a cvar which the Beth rep really should have mentioned, as the default value of 1 sees the engine utilise only some of the aforementioned cores) texture pop-in is very rare. I just completed the mission where you raid the Shrouded bunker and noticed pop-in only once or twice. Also, the textures that lagged behind loaded to their final state far, far quicker than before, perhaps best quantified as "blink and you'll miss it".

Edit: I forgot to mention that vt_maxppf is... whatever the default value is (I haven't lowered it as GPU transcoding precludes the need).

Solo said:
I have a 570GTX and yet the GPU Transcode option doesn't appear. Any ideas why?

I can only recommend updating to the latest beta drivers if you haven't already. Alternatively, add the aforementioned cvar to your rageconfig.cfg - this should force-enable it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
this is making me a little worried that my setup won't be up to snuff, at least in the GPU and ram area.

With that setup, you are probably going to see pretty lousy performance, I'm afraid.

SoulClap

Rewmac said:
Sould I uninstall my current AMD Catalyst Control and then intall the new one or the new completely replaces the old one?

People seem to be having more success with the AMD drivers by first uninstalling then installing.

Solo

JaseC said:
I can only recommend updating to the latest beta drivers if you haven't already. Alternatively, add the aforementioned cvar to your rageconfig.cfg - this should force-enable it.

Ah, I bet the beta drivers are the reason - I rolled back to the latest official drivers. Maybe its time to go back to beta.

8k textures run at a steady 60 for me, but the 16k's crash almost immediately, because the game doesn't support SLI at the moment so I'm limited to 1.5GB (GTX 590). Profound sadness.

AEREC

Today I started playing RAGE and for some reason Im just now getting random image tearing, I didnt have it previously and have made no changes to my system since installing and playing rage.

I forced it on in the control panel so its good now...but it was kind of odd that it randomly started happening.

so... i tested again at lunch, and no matter i did i couldn't MAKE my copy of Rage stutter when streaming in textures. this morning i couldn't stop it. so weird. there has to be a process i'm missing in the background... or... something.

both times were right when the machine had been woken up from sleeping. machine had not been restarted in the interrim.

JaseC

Your RAM and CPU are fine, it's the GPU that will/may cause a performance bottleneck.

Pimpbaa

AEREC said:
Today I started playing RAGE and for some reason Im just now getting random image tearing, I didnt have it previously and have made no changes to my system since installing and playing rage.

I forced it on in the control panel so its good now...but it was kind of odd that it randomly started happening.
Same thing happened to me except forcing it in the nvidia control panel does nothing. Will try that command line fix later.

So im looking at the 8k pic posted, i don't think it really looks THAT GREAT. I mean I'm not seeing the payoff behind the mega texture hype.

subversus

It's crazy that 6850 may not be enough for a console game that runs @ 60 fps. CRAZY. Lol at their recommended specs.

garath

garath said:
i5 2500k @ 4.2Ghz
8gig DDR3
GTX 460 1gig

com_AllowConsole 1
com_SkipIntroVideo 1
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_maxppf 2048
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_minlod -1
vt_maxlockedpages 1024
vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_uncompressedphysicalimages 1
vt_vmtrcompression none
vt_restart
image_lodbias -1
image_anisotropy 4
image_usecompression 0
image_screenshotquality 100

So I tried the above config over lunch and I struggled. After the first load into a new area frames dropped to 12 and stuck there. I was forced to exit the game. The game locked up a couple more times after that. I started removing things until I was left with just the pageimage cvars and I finally got it working well. I suspect the things I bolded were the culprit. I only have 1gig VRAM.

So in the end my config looks like this:

com_SkipIntroVideo 1
vt_restart

with no additional cvars. I have AA at 8x and vsync and triple buffering set via nvidia control panel.

I get 60fps locked and so little texture pop that it might as well not even be there. Image quality is decent for the game. I am happy enough now. I played for 30 minutes after finalizing the settings and really enjoyed it.

Edit: forgot to mention I have GPU transcode on. I might take that off with the i5 2500k and see if it makes anything better or worse.

Truant

Can anyone else try this? Seemed to improve stuttering.

1. Start the game. Load up a save.

2. Alt Tab your way out.

3. Start up Task Manager, find rage.exe

4. Right click and pick set affinity.

5. For some reason it's set to low. Set it to Normal and apply.

I can't set it higher than Normal. If I set it to High or Above Normal, it will appear fine, but when you alt tab out of the game later, it will have reverted to Normal. Still, a lot better than low.

Any noticeable improvements?

JaseC

ZombieSupaStar said:
So im looking at the 8k pic posted, i don't think it really looks THAT GREAT. I mean I'm not seeing the payoff behind the mega texture hype.

MegaTextures are first and foremost an artistic technology rather than a graphical one. Such large textures allow artists to have complete control over the art of equally large environments, something that isn't possible when you have to repeatedly tile <16k x 16k textures.

Rewmac

Banned
angular graphics said:
He sure managed to sabotage them as much as possible on the PC.
PC is irrelevant. Big PC titles such as Witcher 2 only sold around 900.000 copies worldwide, where a console title with the same qualifications (AAA) would sell 2 million at least in the first two weeks.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Revolutionary said:
8k textures run at a steady 60 for me, but the 16k's crash almost immediately, because the game doesn't support SLI at the moment so I'm limited to 1.5GB (GTX 590). Profound sadness.

Just a PSA for ya here, when running cards in SLI the vram doesn't add up :), so a gtx 590 has 1.5gb and not 3gb like they advertise sometimes.

I'm running a 6850HD 1GB, 6GB DDR3, and an AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz. I get a good frame rate at 1680x1050 4xAA, after the correct Rage drivers were installed. . I'm also forcing vsync and I'm fine. I haven't messed with moving textures up to 8192 but, I probably will just to see what happens.

Your video card should be fine for this game within reason, at least mine is anyways. However, if you want 1920x1080 with everything jacked up using 16k then, no, it won't be fine...

Proc

Rewmac said:
PC is irrelevant. Big PC titles such as Witcher 2 only sold around 900.000 copies worldwide, where a console title with the same qualifications (AAA) would sell 2 million at least in the first two weeks.

I think Starcraft 2 or a WoW expansion would be a more apt comparison than the Witcher 2.

Rewmac

Banned
Proc said:
I think Starcraft 2 or a WoW expansion would be a more apt comparison than the Witcher 2.
You don't see what I'm trying to say. No one at ID cares about WoW or Starcraft or generally any other title. Those incredibly popular MMOs ture. But any other type of game just fails to meet the sales on PC.

garath

Anyone try bethesda's suggestion of +vt_maxPPF 16 instead of setting the pageimagesize?

edit: also, anyone know the cvar to make the mouse sensitivity in the menu the same as the game? I use a low sensitivity for fps games and it's jarring to have it super high in comparison when I hit tab.

Exuro

Rewmac said:
You don't see what I'm trying to say. No one at ID cares about WoW or Starcraft or generally any other title. Those incredibly popular MMOs ture. But any other type of game just fails to meet the sales on PC.
The Witcher 2 having a million sales is failing to meet expectations?

subversus

Rewmac said:

You are just plain wrong because data says otherwise.

Mass Effect 2 failed to acheive 2 million copies sold through in quarter (only 1,5 million). Deus Ex shipped only 2 million copies but sold much less (it will continue sellin though). Also I can mention new Castlevania which managed to push only million copies in the quarter and a couple of other releases but whatever, I don't want to turn this thread i another fanboy war. The Witcher manages to sell that good because it's popular in eastern Europe where people don't give two shits about consoles in general and Nintendo Wii is a niche console. It's all about audience.

Bl4ckSunsh1n3 said:
I'm running a 6850HD 1GB, 6GB DDR3, and an AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz. I get a good frame rate at 1680x1050 4xAA, after the correct Rage drivers were installed. . I'm also forcing vsync and I'm fine. I haven't messed with moving textures up to 8192 but, I probably will just to see what happens.

Your video card should be fine for this game within reason, at least mine is anyways. However, if you want 1920x1080 with everything jacked up using 16k then, no, it won't be fine...

thanks! i think i will hold off on it a bit and work on my back log. when i get around to playing my PC games again i'll bite and see how it fairs. will probably double my ram too, but also because my gf uses my machine as a render box.

if it's giving me performance issues i'll move forward with my planned xfire setup and try again. the performance gains with the 6850 have been really good supposedly. just hope a decent profile is made for Rage by then.

Curufinwe

Rewmac said:

This idea you have that all AAA console titles automatically sell at least 2 million in the first two weeks is very interesting. Assuming you mean worldwide, for Rage to do this it would need to sell how many copies in the October NPDs? A million?

Its a pretty game from medium distance, but I don't think I want to see this engine again. Too many potential bottlenecks, too much texture loading, no dynamic lighting, huge install and too many low quality textures.

The best part about Rage for me is the insane draw distance and the detail at range. But having it at 60fps on the PC isn't really a selling point when all my other PC games manage it well enough with no issues.

Its a coup for the consoles though, provided you don't mind the pop in.

That and this game still needs another patch for hitches and character flicker that I'm experiencing in Wellspring.

subversus

NullPointer said:
Its a pretty game from medium distance, but I don't think I want to see this engine again. Too many potential bottlenecks, too much texture loading, no dynamic lighting, huge install and too many low quality textures.

I think the engine is ahead of its time. It clearly needs at least 50 gig of data per game. I don't think that static lighting has to do anything with it, they had to hit 60 fps on consoles.

subversus said:
I think the engine is ahead of its time...
I'd call it farsighted.

subversus said:
... It clearly needs at least 50 gig of data per game. I don't think that static lighting has to do anything with it, they had to hit 60 fps on consoles.
I don't mind whatever compromises they needed to make it work well on the consoles, provided they don't force the PC version to endure the same limitations.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thinking about videocards, what IS next after the GTX580? The card is almost a year old at this point, so I have no intention of investing in one. Any word on what's next in the pipeline?

KKRT00

Rewmac said:
Yeah, thats why Mass Effect 2 sold similar numbers on X0 and PC...

MountZion

Neo Member
I was wondering if anybody has any idea what is going on here. So frustrating.

I am using the following rageconfig:

com_AllowConsole 1
com_SkipIntroVideo 1
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_maxppf 2048
vt_minlod -1
vt_maxlockedpages 1024
vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_vmtrcompression none
vt_restart
image_lodbias -1
image_anisotropy 4
image_usecompression 0

Just like a lot of people do. I have a GTX580 1.5 and a 990x, 12Gb Ram, latest drivers etc. - using the above config Rage uses about 1250 mb of ram at the Game's Menu (!!)

The game crashes immediately after loading a quick save with Fraps showing 1-2 frames. I have restarted the game so many times now, and once, using the above config, and starting a new game it ran just fine at 60 frames. Exited the game - restarted it - back to slideshow.

I just don't understand what is going on. Seems like a lot of people with 1.5 GB GPUs are using the above config, so I can't be out of VRam.

Argh. Any ideas?

Eternal gratitude will be yours!

subversus said:
It's crazy that 6850 may not be enough for a console game that runs @ 60 fps. CRAZY. Lol at their recommended specs.

Wait, is this for real? A 6850 will not run this game at 60 fps?

That is absolutely absurd if true. I have a 6850 and I can play almost anything on high-ultra without AA.

datamage

dark10x said:
Thinking about videocards, what IS next after the GTX580? The card is almost a year old at this point, so I have no intention of investing in one. Any word on what's next in the pipeline?

Next up is Nvidia's Kepler. Supposedly due 1st quarter of next year.

Edit: If you are interested in ATI/AMD's offering, it's due around the same time.

garath

dark10x said:

AMD and Nvidia will have their next round of cards early next year. Nvidia's probably a little later than AMD.

Rewmac

Banned
subversus said:
You are just plain wrong because data says otherwise.

Mass Effect 2 failed to acheive 2 million copies sold through in quarter (only 1,5 million). Deus Ex shipped only 2 million copies but sold much less (it will continue sellin though). Also I can mention new Castlevania which managed to push only million copies in the quarter and a couple of other releases but whatever, I don't want to turn this thread i another fanboy war. The Witcher manages to sell that good because it's popular in eastern Europe where people don't give two shits about consoles in general and Nintendo Wii is a niche console. It's all about audience.
I don't care how much Witcher or any other game sold. Games sell better on the consoles. Period.

garath

MountZion said:
I was wondering if anybody has any idea what is going on here. So frustrating.

I am using the following rageconfig:

com_AllowConsole 1
com_SkipIntroVideo 1
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_maxppf 2048
vt_minlod -1
vt_maxlockedpages 1024
vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_vmtrcompression none
vt_restart
image_lodbias -1
image_anisotropy 4
image_usecompression 0

Just like a lot of people do. I have a GTX580 1.5 and a 990x, 12Gb Ram, latest drivers etc. - using the above config Rage uses about 1250 mb of ram at the Game's Menu (!!)

The game crashes immediately after loading a quick save with Fraps showing 1-2 frames. I have restarted the game so many times now, and once, using the above config, and starting a new game it ran just fine at 60 frames. Exited the game - restarted it - back to slideshow.

I just don't understand what is going on. Seems like a lot of people with 1.5 GB GPUs are using the above config, so I can't be out of VRam.

Argh. Any ideas?

Eternal gratitude will be yours!

I've bolded what I expect the problem is. You can see I had the same issues earlier on this page and what my config ended up being.

Rewmac

Banned
KKRT00 said:
Yeah, thats why Mass Effect 2 sold similar numbers on X0 and PC...
We can be picky on some titles, but overall piracy is more present on the PC than any other HD platform. I don't really care about specific titles I really don't. Games just simply get better sales on consoles than on anything else.

subversus

evilernLeGG said:
Wait, is this for real? A 6850 will not run this game at 60 fps?

That is absolutely absurd if true. I have a 6850 and I can play almost anything on high-ultra without AA.

Yes, you can't be sure about achieving steady 60 fps on 6850 at the moment.

Top Bottom