• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Rewmac said:
I don't care how much Witcher or any other game sold. Games sell better on the consoles. Period.

Whatever, mellow out or make another thread to prove your point (lol). We discuss perfomance issues here.

Rewmac

Banned
subversus said:
Whatever, mellow out or make another thread to prove your point (lol).
I don't care about proving my point. I know something plus I have charts right in front of me so I really have nothing to prove to anybody :) Now can we move on...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Rewmac said:
I don't care about proving my point. I know something plus I have charts right in front of me so I really have nothing to prove to anybody :) Now can we move on...

Yeah, move on somewhere else with this stuff.

aeolist

Banned
iOnMv.gif

Hawk269

Icarus said:
Running on a 480 here. Was some bad tearing until I enabled triple buffering, then smooth as silk. No stutters, no tearing, all locked 60fps at 1920x1200 goodness.

You *only* enabled tripple buffering and not vsync as well?

Curufinwe

Rewmac said:
Again one title Portal 2 is older than my brother. No one cares about 15 year old games or so. This is here and the now.

Portal 2 was released in April, 2011. WTF are you talking about?

FGMPR

Banned
Rewmac said:
I don't care how much Witcher or any other game sold. Games sell better on the consoles. Period.

I get the feeling you won't be with us long lol

edit: Too late :0

kitch9 said:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-11.9-[RAGE-Driver]-(8.892.3-October-3)-download-2800.

If not already posted AMD Rage fix driver here.

Supposed to be fine, and solves the problems. I haven't had chance to test it on my office rig though as I have to wait to Friday to play...
Definitely worked for me. Just be sure to uninstall previous AMD software first. It certainly makes the game playable but a few more tweaks are advised.

mephixto

Banned
That was fast

Rewmac
Banned
(Today, 01:06 PM)
Reply | Quote

way to waste an account.

On Topic, seems that RAGE is having a lot of troubles with perfomance, I'll wait till a patch lands I'm tired of messing with config files.

Volcynika

I asked earlier but I don't know if anyone has ran into the same issue...

I'm on an ATI (Radeon HD 5850) etc., and the game runs fine for the most part. But all the dialogue scenes (meeting the first guy, dialogue scenes with the first bandits) the game just comes to a freeze a couple times during that, and then runs fine during gameplay. Any ideas?

MountZion

Neo Member
Sheesh, now it is getting really weird. Since I was not getting anywhere with the rageconfig I deleted it, and I am still getting 20 fps. No matter what I do.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This constant freezing is driving me nuts. I've got the game running perfectly in all other ways. There's gotta be a fix for this.

subversus said:
By the way has somebody managed to open console they were talking about?

You mean this?

com_AllowConsole 1

It will disable your achievements, so it's best to do the changes directly through the rageconfig.cfg instead of enabling the console.

RS4-

Alright installing now. I may just wait though before I actually start things up. I think I'm still on AMDs 11.8 drivers or something. I didn't bother updating for BF3 as I didn't have any problems with it.

Hopefully we can nail some configs down for various GPUs and such.

Actually, I'll do a quick run through on my stock 2GB 6950 and 2600k @ 4.4 to see what I get on whatever default settings at 1080p

sk3tch

angular graphics said:
You mean this?

com_AllowConsole 1

It will disable your achievements, so it's best to do the changes directly through the rageconfig.cfg instead of enabling the console.

That's not true.

I think we're going to need a full on annotated rageconfig ;P

So enabling the console in the config still allows achievements?

Also, I tried the cvar com_showfps in the console but I couldn't get it to actually display. Anybody have any luck with that?

Smokey

Do I have to enable triple buffering with vsync? Doesn't that just introduce more lag? I've got vsync forced on, and haven't noticed any tearing. I have triple buffering off.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
sk3tch said:
That's not true.

There are conflicting anecdotes about this. It seems enabling the console is supposed to disable achievements, and will in some cases but not in others.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wooha,I can't believe the PC version have so many problems, it's id Software and all that jazz,i'm glad i waited.

sk3tch

JaseC said:
There are conflicting anecdotes about this. It seems enabling the console is supposed to disable achievements, and will in some cases but not in others.

I have seen this all over but I have never seen any proof that it does. Using my config I have been earning achievements with the console enabled. It would be counter intuitive if they blocked you. I imagine it is set to specific options you enable in the console, not the entire console itself. If they disable them at all. Probably cheat codes/options or something (if there are any).

Pimpbaa

What the fuck is going on?! The game was running fine for me at first, now I can't stop the screen tearing. Forcing v-sync in the control panel doesn't work, +r_swapInterval 1 doesn't work. This makes no sense.

EvilNando

Neo Member
Totobeni said:
Wooha,I can't believe the PC version have so many problems, it's id Software and all that jazz,i'm glad i waited.

this is news to me ... I havent checked yet the performance analysis on PC but wow Im guessing it isnt doing well?

Carmack Im dissapoint..

JaseC

sk3tch said:
I have seen this all over but I have never seen any proof that it does. Using my config I have been earning achievements with the console enabled. It would be counter intuitive if they blocked you. I imagine it is set to specific options you enable in the console, not the entire console itself. If they disable them at all. Probably cheat codes/options or something (if there are any).

That may very well be the case. It's strange that the laundry list of rageconfig.cfg settings that was doing the rounds earlier disables achievements as most of the cvars refer to virtual textures and the few that don't refer to the intro videos, levels of forced AF, and other such innocuous settings. *shrug*

When I made my rageconfig.cfg file for the 8k texture settings and accidentally left the console enabled, I started a new game just to be safe.

sk3tch

JaseC said:
When I made my rageconfig.cfg file for the 8k texture settings and accidentally left the console enabled, I started a new game just to be safe.

FWIW, I enable the console via the launch options section and not my config file.

eastmen

Banned
Hello .

I'm running

Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.8ghz
8 gigs of ram
Radeon 6950 @ 6970 2GB
Vertex 2 for the game install .

5760x1080 with MLAA on

I'm also using the modified config posted in the other thread with no changes.

I can say the game does very very well. I get a slight pause once every 10-15 minutes when its loading something but it seems to be a constant 60fps .

I've just gotten my own buggy (not the atv ) but i Think i might stop, I am playing through bioshock 2 right now so I want to finish it up and I will move back to rage soon. hopefully the game will have a patch or two and newer drivers will hit

JaseC

sk3tch said:
FWIW, I enable the console via the launch options section and not my config file.

As did I, but with the conflicting no/yes stories on the matter I started anew. I'd barely reached Wellspring so it didn't bother me.

Jubbly

Revolutionary said:
8k textures run at a steady 60 for me, but the 16k's crash almost immediately, because the game doesn't support SLI at the moment so I'm limited to 1.5GB (GTX 590). Profound sadness.

Common misconception, SLI doesn't double your VRAM.

RS4-

Awesome, rage just doesn't even start/run. It pops up in the task manager, then disappears after a few seconds.

I guess I'll update my GPU drivers and see what happens.

RS4- said:
Alright installing now. I may just wait though before I actually start things up. I think I'm still on AMDs 11.8 drivers or something. I didn't bother updating for BF3 as I didn't have any problems with it.

Hopefully we can nail some configs down for various GPUs and such.

Actually, I'll do a quick run through on my stock 2GB 6950 and 2600k @ 4.4 to see what I get on whatever default settings at 1080p

6950 here too man (2 gig VRAM) I had terrible FPS and texture lag until I patched it to the AMD Drivers that were built with Rage in mind. It made a HUGE difference

kitch9

Banned
Smokey said:
Do I have to enable triple buffering with vsync? Doesn't that just introduce more lag? I've got vsync forced on, and haven't noticed any tearing. I have triple buffering off.

Proper driver level triple buffering improves latency with v sync. DX level triple buffering increases latency with v sync. (D3doverrider is dx level.)

So I was thinking.. The singleplayer's megatextures are "just" 11.4GB.

Quite often it's said "but the game is already 20+ GB, to double the texture quality they would need to release a 40+ GB patch", but no, the textures of the SP are quite a bit smaller than 20GB.

My point is a 30GB texture pack would allow about 2.6 times more detail, and it's not THAT much of a hassle to distribute (for Bethesda) and to download (for the enthusiasts PC gamers). I think it's manageable and worth it..

InertiaXr

angular graphics said:

Quite often it's said "but the game is already 20+ GB, to double the texture quality they would need to release a 40+ GB patch", but no, the textures of the SP are quite a bit smaller than 20GB.

My point is a 30GB texture pack would allow about 2.6 times more detail, and it's not THAT much of a hassle to distribute (for Bethesda) and to download (for the enthusiasts PC gamers). I think it's manageable and worth it..

If I ever pick up this game in a Steam sale I would definitely be interested in higher-res texture pack. Hard drive space costs nearly nothing, if it looked much better and I could run it with a 1GB card I would be willing to have 100GB+ of textures...

angular graphics said:

And to add to that, Carmack believed this would be the sweet spot 2 years ago: http://www.next-gen.biz/features/rage-under-hood?page=2

A single uncompressed 128,000x128,000 pixel texture weighs in at around 120GB, and the game as it stands when we visit is, Carmack says, “probably a couple of terabytes. A lot of that winds up being stuff that the player never sees – the back of buildings or mountaintops that no trails lead up to – so you can throw that away, and the compression gives you 20-to-one-ish over the whole base. But it’s still going to be a challenge. The sweet spot would be one Blu-ray [50GB], or four regular DVDs [8.5GB each], and Doom 4 may wind up being that.”

4 x 8.5=34GB

It's very unfortunate he had to compromise with 3 DVDs, and the third being multiplayer, so essentially just 2 DVDs for the SP... :( And with the gamedata and sounds taking up some space, that's less than half of what the "sweet spot" he was talking about was! :O

Come on id/Bethesda DO IT >_> 30 gigs is manageable!

Definity

angular graphics said:

Would love to see a high res texture pack for at least a couple of the levels.
BTW - seen your name mentioned on geoforce.com.

http://www.geforce.com/News/article...-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

garath

dynamitejim said:
Wow. I read this post on the Steam forums and added the "vt_maxPPF" 16 setting to my config and now there is no texture pop in at all. Instead any texture that's not loaded in completely streams in very subtly, but it's very rare and pretty much unnoticeable.

That's interesting.

I do like the better image quality with the imagepagefile tweak angular came up with but if that's the cvar to eliminate texture pop, that's pretty sweet.

Top Bottom