• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus Hits PS3 November 12th

8byte

Banned
I'm more willingly to believe non-Insomniac Games fanboy/Fuse Defense Force impressions, personally.

You'd think they can get a consistent 30fps going after all this time, shit. Guess we'll see when I get my hands-on.

Anyone watching the 720p stream today can clearly see it.

Also: Give it a rest Seriously it's getting old. No need to be a tool because I'm stating the obvious. There's like over an hour of footage between Twitch.tv and Youtube. Watch for yourself, dude.

Sidzed2

frame rate concerns are being blown way out of proportion. Folks, learn to articulate, expand your vocabulary. "Chugs" is not a 5fps drop. "Chugs" is 15fps ala MGS3 on PS2.

The game didn't "chug" when I played it, and it likely won't "chug" when you play it, unless you're one of those poor unfortunate souls who simply cannot enjoy anything...in which case go back to PC gaming.

Also, if you can't see the improvements from the trade off in frame rate...go back and play ACiT. It's pretty evident, even in titles like A4O or FFA...

Edit: Post above is FUD.

How disrespectful - I am giving my honest impressions. I am a huge Ratchet fan. This game chugs in spots, and looks considerably worse than its predecessors. I have nothing to gain by spreading FUD.

How disrespectful - I am giving my honest impressions. I am a huge Ratchet fan. This game chugs in spots, and looks considerably worse than its predecessors. I have nothing to gain by spreading FUD.
Dont take it personally, hes always like this around negative impressions of IG

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why so secretive on the Vita version

I think it has something to do with a previous R&C game on the Vita. They promised it, delivered it late and it was kinda a shitty port. So I guess they are working on a Vita version, but they will announce it when they feel confident about it.

rjc571

Banned
Yeah, no. Let's take a look at the top selling titles on the PS3 for a second. Yup, well over half of those titles aren't even close to 60fps, sometimes not even 30 fps. 360, same deal. With your logic, shouldn't PC versions always sell the best? So much for your "facts".
Wow, great argument! Oh wait, if you switch over to the best selling Wii games you'll see that the top 13 titles (all of which sold better than the third best selling PS3 game) are all 60 fps.

Uhh.. I have no idea what you're trying to say here. People that care about minute gains are going to flock to the PS4? But the same people won't give a shit about said graphics improvements? Whatever thing you said, I never claimed it. Just that the majority of people couldn't give less a fuck about frame rate. There's a little top selling title you might have heard of that should have clued you in. But I'll wait for that better word of mouth and back end sales that will put the PC version as the top selling SKU, lol.
OK, if you can't read and understand words then I guess there's no sense arguing with you. Of course, I never claimed that GTA V would have higher overall sales on PC than on consoles. I guess it's too much to expect for you to understand why positive word of mouth is important for a game's long term profitability.

8byte

Banned

Let's put it like this.

"Chug" isn't a quantifiable measure. It simply misleads people. "Dropped frames" is an honest assessment.

"Looks considerably worse" is a gross exaggeration. In fact, I'd say it's wrong, and screen caps will certainly show that. Better IQ than the last two, better lighting, better animation.

Sidzed2

Let's put it like this.

"Chug" isn't a quantifiable measure. It simply misleads people. "Dropped frames" is an honest assessment.

"Looks considerably worse" is a gross exaggeration. In fact, I'd say it's wrong, and screen caps will certainly show that. Better IQ than the last two, better lighting, better animation.

"Chugs" is not a scientific term. It's the most apt adjective I can use to describe the game's performance. It drops a lot of frames during combat, and the performance chugs, go my eyes. Maybe the game improves after the first hour, in which case I will update my impressions.

And no, I'm not grossly exaggerating. My view is that this is the least visually impressive mainline Ratchet. It's okay looking, but not a patch on Tools or ACiT. My opinion.

Stop pushing an agenda and keep an open mind.

Satchel

Banned
Loving it so far.

Visually it doesn't have that "look" the other Ratchet's had. I liked the softer image and how much smoother the others ran, but this is nothing deal breaking.

But aside from that, it feels like the other Ratchet's, I only JUST got time to get off the "1st level" yesterday so I only just hot the first planet. But it's super fun like other Ratchet's are.

Also, if jstevenson is reading, what's with the "Disc Benefits"? It told me I get a free Vita Cross buy Quest For Booty, but when it directed me to the store, it directed me to my already purchased PS3 Quest For Booty.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I will say, I think anyone who says this looks worse than the other games is judging it on certain criteria.

By many other criteria, ITN is our best-looking Ratchet game. The lighting, some of the shaders we're using, the amount of stuff on screen. Lots of it is waaaaay more intensive than what we did in ACIT / Tools.

Do some direct comparison of some of those levels vs. this game and you'll see what I mean.

8byte

Banned
"Chugs" is not a scientific term. It's the most apt adjective I can use to describe the game's performance. It drops a lot of frames during combat, and the performance chugs, go my eyes. Maybe the game improves after the first hour, in which case I will update my impressions.

And no, I'm not grossly exaggerating. My view is that this is the least visually impressive mainline Ratchet. It's okay looking, but not a patch on Tools or ACiT. My opinion.

Stop pushing an agenda and keep an open mind.

Okay, sure. I guess when people do captures, streams, and have the games you'll be able to rest on your (wrong) statements.

I have no agenda, I played through the first 45 minutes or so, and you're wrong. "Chugs" is a ridiculous statement to make. Anyone can go to YT right now, and watch the PlayStation live stream in HD and judge for themselves. No "chugging".

rjc571

Banned
Let's put it like this.

Screencaps will show that it has better animation? LOL.

How can the animation be better when the animations are running at less than half the framerate, anyway?

Sidzed2

I will say, I think anyone who says this looks worse than the other games is judging it on certain criteria.

By many other criteria, ITN is our best-looking Ratchet game. The lighting, some of the shaders we're using, the amount of stuff on screen. Lots of it is waaaaay more intensive than what we did in ACIT / Tools.

Do some direct comparison of some of those levels vs. this game and you'll see what I mean.

You may be right, James (i am sure you are) but in my humble opinion, the overall impression I formed was that this game is not as visually pleasing as ToD or ACiT. I'm sure others will disagree.

Thanks for taking time to interact.

The game itself still seems like good fun - I just wish it performed like the older games.

Sidzed2

Okay, sure. I guess when people do captures, streams, and have the games you'll be able to rest on your (wrong) statements.

I have no agenda, I played through the first 45 minutes or so, and you're wrong. "Chugs" is a ridiculous statement to make. Anyone can go to YT right now, and watch the PlayStation live stream in HD and judge for themselves. No "chugging".

I don't know that you understand what a opinion is.

Sidzed2

I don't know that you understand what an opinion is.

Vashetti

Banned
what Vita version?

tumblr_mv6d7fu9e41qe3dquo1_500.gif

8byte

Banned
I don't know that you understand what a opinion is.

I understand that some things are quantifiable. Thus, you should mention them in a way that you can properly articulate with quantifiable statements, not "general" ones that typically suggest something other than the true case.

in my humble opinion, the overall impression I formed was that this game is not as visually pleasing as ToD or ACiT. I'm sure others will disagree.
The game itself still seems like good fun - I just wish it performed like the older games.

rats, this is the last thing i wanted to hear.
I'm waiting for 3dworld so i was hoping this would fill that gap nicely before the 29th.
I had a bad felling this would happen after they sacrificed framerate for better visuals in crack in time. I had hoped that by changing to 30fps it would at least be a fluid game.
Really disappointing to hear.... my preorder is now on hold until i can check out a demo, any news on when one will be available?

8byte

Banned
rats, this is the last thing i wanted to hear.
I'm waiting for 3dworld so i was hoping this would fill that gap nicely before the 29th.
I had a bad felling this would happen after they sacrificed framerate for better visuals in crack in time. I had hoped that by changing to 30fps it would at least be a fluid game.
Really disappointing to hear.... my preorder is now on hold until i can check out a demo, any news on when one will be available?

I can only speak to my experience playing in NC, and watching the love stream today on Twitch, but it IS a fluid game.

Wayyyyyyyy off topic and lttp but I finished R3 the other night. You guys, you did such a phenomenon job. The atmosphere was sooooo good. <3 Watching the retrospective on R1 and R2 was a blast even after all this time. I really hope you guys go back to it someday, or atleast capture the horror/unsettling atmosphere of both r1 and r3 in another project. Looking forward to Itn when it hits. Hoping for that nonexistent vita version to be existent!

dralla

Does the game at least look sharper this time around? I always thought the blurriness of the older games was partially because of the 60FPS, that they were sacrificing IQ for performance.

And replayability is better than Q4B, right? More things to do? Are skill points back? I pre-ordered and don't know shit about the game honestly. I loved ACiT though (and Q4B), and that was enough for me.

PaulloDEC

Does the game at least look sharper this time around? I always thought the blurriness of the older games was partially because of the 60FPS, that they were sacrificing IQ for performance.

And replayability is better than Q4B, right? More things to do? Are skill points back? I pre-ordered and don't know shit about the game honestly. I loved ACiT though (and Q4B), and that was enough for me.

I don't know about sharper, but the game looks sharp to me.

As for things to do, so far I've collected Gold Bolts, Ryno schematics, leveled up weapons by using them, augmented weapons with Raritanium upgrades, bought new weapons, bought new armor, unlocked gadgets through both gameplay and arena combat... it feels like most of the features of a full Ratchet game are present.

Not sure about Skill Points, though.

Satchel

Banned
Ok, it must have been the first level that looked "off" because since I've been arriving at planets I can totally see how it looks better than past games.

I still loved that softer look of the old games a lot

Sidzed2

Okay, so I was pretty down on the game after the first 40 minutes or so, and my earlier posts reflect that.

I must concede that the game improves manifold after the first hour, especially with regard to the visuals. The first major planet you visit is just gorgeous, lush with detail and sporting atmospheric lighting. It looks stunning... until you move, pan the camera, or engage in combat that is.

Unfortunately, despite the slight improvement after the first level, Nexus just doesn't perform as smoothly as previous games and it hurts the combat as well as the presentation. Everything just feels a tad sluggish. It's not enough to ruin the game, and I can say that it only "chugs" in moments of hectic combat, but I still can't see why this game's (admittedly lovely) visuals can't support a consistent, smooth framerate. There are definitely games that do more, and with better performance. It feels like IG took an easy route here.

With all of that said, I'm enjoying myself more and more and I'm getting over the performance issues. It's great to have Ratchet back.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't know about sharper, but the game looks sharp to me.

As for things to do, so far I've collected Gold Bolts, Ryno schematics, leveled up weapons by using them, augmented weapons with Raritanium upgrades, bought new weapons, bought new armor, unlocked gadgets through both gameplay and arena combat... it feels like most of the features of a full Ratchet game are present.

Not sure about Skill Points, though.

Would you say it has as many content as Ratchet 3?

Vhalyar

Which of the PS3 Ratchets are worth getting/playing? There's a whole bunch of them now (sadly not available on PSN) and it's been ages since I last paid attention to R&C news.

PaulloDEC

Which of the PS3 Ratchets are worth getting/playing? There's a whole bunch of them now (sadly not available on PSN) and it's been ages since I last paid attention to R&C news.

Most will say:

Get it

&#8226; Tools of Destruction
&#8226; A Crack in Time

Maybe get it

&#8226; Quest for Booty
&#8226; Into the Nexus

Don't get it

&#8226; All 4 One
&#8226; Full Frontal Assault/QForce

For me personally, Quest and Nexus are both definitely worth getting.

Erasus

frame rate concerns are being blown way out of proportion. Folks, learn to articulate, expand your vocabulary. "Chugs" is not a 5fps drop. "Chugs" is 15fps ala MGS3 on PS2.

The game didn't "chug" when I played it, and it likely won't "chug" when you play it, unless you're one of those poor unfortunate souls who simply cannot enjoy anything...in which case go back to PC gaming.

Also, if you can't see the improvements from the trade off in frame rate...go back and play ACiT. It's pretty evident, even in titles like A4O or FFA...

Edit: Post above is FUD.

Dropping to 15fps is awful man. Once in a while maybe but on the regular no way.

Being able to sense fps drops and preferring a locked steady fps to drops is now "not being able to enjoy anything"??

That said I did not see much drops in the video and Ill get this for sure.

Just makes me mad that the "sides" in this debate keep margializing. No, fps drops dont make a game unplayable, but a locked 30 or 60 makes the game MUCH MORE enjoyable.

unless you're one of those poor unfortunate souls who simply cannot enjoy anything...in which case go back to PC gaming.

thatssotrue_15396_1344861118.gif

I don't pc game, but a steady framerate without screen tearing should come before graphics.
I would have preferred that they kept using the tools of destruction engine which was really smooth but less pretty.
So many games this generation have been spoiled because the developers put graphics before a steady engine.
As the poster above said, it doesn't make the game unplayable but it takes you out of the experience.

welp...

then again, you get what you pay for right? Half the price, half the frames or something ;)

on a serious note though, looking forward to this quite a bit, so you guys can confirm that Nexus is about Quest 4 booty Length then?

Okay, so I was pretty down on the game after the first 40 minutes or so, and my earlier posts reflect that.

I must concede that the game improves manifold after the first hour, especially with regard to the visuals. The first major planet you visit is just gorgeous, lush with detail and sporting atmospheric lighting. It looks stunning... until you move, pan the camera, or engage in combat that is.

Unfortunately, despite the slight improvement after the first level, Nexus just doesn't perform as smoothly as previous games and it hurts the combat as well as the presentation. Everything just feels a tad sluggish. It's not enough to ruin the game, and I can say that it only "chugs" in moments of hectic combat, but I still can't see why this game's (admittedly lovely) visuals can't support a consistent, smooth framerate. There are definitely games that do more, and with better performance. It feels like IG took an easy route here.

With all of that said, I'm enjoying myself more and more and I'm getting over the performance issues. It's great to have Ratchet back.

The framerate problems are a real bummer. I wanted to buy this, but I think that rules it out for me.

Oneself

It's kinda hard not to feel bummed by the low framerate.
It should have been done on PS4 from the get go... a launch day downloadable, low price, high res, 60fps Ratchet would have kicked major asses.

Kujo

Finished. Mild spoilers again.

Took about 6 hours on Hero (regular) mode. If you just did a barebones playthrough you could shave a decent amount of time off that I'd imagine. At the same time, it's more replayable than the previous shorter Ratchet games. 40 skill points I believe. Trophies have progress bars. Clank's new segments are replayable after you beat the game for better times, etc. Also a challenge mode after you finish the game. And you can replay arena battles.

Visually, I sort of agree something felt a bit off about the intro section, but once you get to the planets they look great. Final planet maybe a bit less so. Framerate seemed fine to me (after you accept the 30fps that is), didn't notice any distracting framedrops.

Gameplay was varied and I liked most of the new additions. 3rd planet was a bit of a drag if you're trying to find everything. Treasure map is a huge welcome when you get it. Final level was pretty neat in what it does. Final boss segment was fairly good at parts.

Overall I liked it, and it feels like a solid Ratchet game. It has a decent amount of content for the price and is fairly self contained. It may be a while till we get another Ratchet game comes out, but this definately leaves us with something more satisfactory than the previous 2 titles

PaulloDEC

The framerate problems are a real bummer. I wanted to buy this, but I think that rules it out for me.

I'd urge you to reconsider that. I absolutely love Ratchet at 60fps, but if 30fps is what we're getting, I'd say take it. Nexus is pretty excellent from what I've played, and absolutely a game worthy of the franchise.

Incidentally, I'm digging the villains in this. Maybe my favourite Ratchet villains yet.

I'd urge you to reconsider that. I absolutely love Ratchet at 60fps, but if 30fps is what we're getting, I'd say take it.

the drop to 30fps would be fine, but people here are saying that it doesn't even stay at 30fps.
I don't care if a game is 720p or 1080p, 30fps or 60fps. I just want the game to be smooth.
The only games that really need to be a solid 60fps are side scrolling platformers.
Does anybody know when is the demo out?

As long as this still feels like a traditional Ratchet again in the vein of ToD, QfB, and CiT, then i will get it regardless of any framerate issues, just to send the message to Insomniac that THIS is the Ratchet we want and not the last 2 games!

I'd urge you to reconsider that. I absolutely love Ratchet at 60fps, but if 30fps is what we're getting, I'd say take it. Nexus is pretty excellent from what I've played, and absolutely a game worthy of the franchise.

Incidentally, I'm digging the villains in this. Maybe my favourite Ratchet villains yet.

From the sounds of it the game goes well below 30 at times.

I liked FFA a great deal!

more power to you then! In my case, i didn't even try it out since i heard so many negative opinions and after watching videos/reviews i decided it was not worth wasting the little gaming time i have on something that seems so unlike the R&C formula i used to love!

Either way, looking forward to Nexus now, will grab it soon

Top Bottom