• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus Hits PS3 November 12th

Footos22

I dont think its useless crap, but in the last months it really feels like the only important thing for neogaf in a game is the FPS-count and nothing else.

It feels like every time I look into a thread there are just people posting sarcastic comments like a game would be a big pile of software crap when it is under 60FPS. Its not like I dont like smooth running games, I dont even have something against the people who prefer 60FPS games, but all these sarcastic oneliners are really annoying me.

Feel the same. It's fucking annoying. Just let the devs put the game out the way they feel is best.

Footos22

Obviously lots of Ratchet fans don't agree with you. The negative reaction to All 4 One should have clued you in.

FPS had very little to do with how well A41 was received. It was a deviation in a way from the tried and tested formula. I didn't like it but cannot fault them for trying something different.

mishakoz

This will be my last game on the PS3 before getting my PS4, and I couldn't be happier with this being the way I say goodnight to my PS3 for a bit. Ratchet and clank is one of those comfort games that I never get tired of playing, and it makes me so happy that it is going back to the formula that made Ratchet what it is.

If anyone needs a look back at the franchise, here are a couple retrospectives I did when I was a part of Gametrailers.

R&C Retro Part 1

R&C Retro Part 2

Welcome back, Insomniac

The_Dude

Bc7KiUf.jpg

A first-party PAL PS3 game with a proper logo on the spine? What is this trickery?

Kujo

Got it. Will post impressions later on.

Bc7KiUf.jpg

A first-party PAL PS3 game with a proper logo on the spine? What is this trickery?
Ha, just noticed. That's a first for my collection. Decent sized manual too. No inside cover art though

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So unbelievably jealous :(

Tsunamo

Looking forward to playing it early! :D

I'm really surprised we got it a week before other regions, it's usually the other way around.

Obviously a very vocal minority of Ratchet fans don't agree with you. The negative reaction to All 4 One should have clued you in.
Fixed that for you. Lol if you think Joe Average will give a shit. This has about as much relevance to the average consumer as the CoD sales being affected by the 720p debacle. This place is an echo chamber for the enthusiast gamer and not the average target demographic. Remember that.

Also, A4O was not a mainline title, thus less than enthusiastic response.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why haven't we heard any first impressions yet :(?!

Hanmik

Why haven't we heard any first impressions yet :(?!

I know reviews are embargoed untill monday 14.00 UK time..

but some people (non reviewers) seem to have the game allready, they are not under embargo.. so maybe they could give some impressions..?

PaulloDEC

I have impressions!

I'm probably a bit over an hour in now, going well so far.

Pros

• Great presentation as usual, visuals and sound are up to scratch with Crack in Time
• Controls are, from what I've played, pretty similar to Crack. I feel like the use of R2 and L2 is different, but I'd need to go back and check to be sure
• The more direct aiming control from FFA/QForce returns as the default, and it plays pretty well
• Even from early on, I'm liking the storytelling a lot. Great characters and drama going on

Cons

• The performance chugs fairly often in areas with a lot of action. Never gets really horrible or unplayable, but it's definitely noticeable
• I hate to say it, but I still can't see the sense in the switch to 30FPS. The game is totally playable and fine at that framerate, but if there were visual gains in choosing it over 60FPS, I sure can't see them

Happy to answer questions if I can.

rjc571

Banned
Fixed that for you. Lol if you think Joe Average will give a shit. This has about as much relevance to the average consumer as the CoD sales being affected by the 720p debacle. This place is an echo chamber for the enthusiast gamer and not the average target demographic. Remember that.

Also, A4O was not a mainline title, thus less than enthusiastic response.

Even if the average consumer isn't aware of the technical details, they can still feel the difference between 60 and 30 fps and it does affect their enjoyment of the game. It's a fact that games running at 60 fps have stronger back-end sales, due to them having better word of mouth than games running at a choppy 30 fps.

On the other hand, the only people that care about the minuitae of graphic improvements that they gained from dropping to 30 fps, are people that are going to stop giving a shit about the PS3 in a week when the PS4 comes out. You think Joe Average consumer can even tell if a game is using SSAO or full HDR lighting, let alone have it impact his purchasing decision? LMAO at you, then.

Toppot

It's a fact that games running at 60 fps have stronger back-end sales, due to them having better word of mouth than games running at a choppy 30 fps.

Could you please link me to the research paper, article or comprehensive amount of evidence which backs up this statement of 'fact'?

PaulloDEC

Few more thoughts:

• Planet
Silox
is really awesome. Lots of interesting pathways through the level, with a nice mix of puzzling, platforming and combat. Looks incredible too
• Ratchet's ship has a new navigation screen, complete with a cute new gimmick that's a lot of fun to use
• Overall, the game feels like a compressed version of a full Ratchet experience - there's quite a lot of variety packed into sections that might otherwise focus on just one thing

Having a good time with it.

Dinjooh

Few more thoughts:

• Planet
Silox
is really awesome. Lots of interesting pathways through the level, with a nice mix of puzzling, platforming and combat. Looks incredible too
• Ratchet's ship has a new navigation screen, complete with a cute new gimmick that's a lot of fun to use
• Overall, the game feels like a compressed version of a full Ratchet experience - there's quite a lot of variety packed into sections that might otherwise focus on just one thing

Stahp it - i'm supposed to be hyped about the PS4 now!

No really, keep it coming PaulloDEC

I have impressions!

I'm probably a bit over an hour in now, going well so far.

Pros

• Great presentation as usual, visuals and sound are up to scratch with Crack in Time
• Controls are, from what I've played, pretty similar to Crack. I feel like the use of R2 and L2 is different, but I'd need to go back and check to be sure
• The more direct aiming control from FFA/QForce returns as the default, and it plays pretty well
• Even from early on, I'm liking the storytelling a lot. Great characters and drama going on

Cons

• The performance chugs fairly often in areas with a lot of action. Never gets really horrible or unplayable, but it's definitely noticeable
• I hate to say it, but I still can't see the sense in the switch to 30FPS. The game is totally playable and fine at that framerate, but if there were visual gains in choosing it over 60FPS, I sure can't see them

Happy to answer questions if I can.

HOLD ON A MINUTE!

Are you saying that the game "chugs fairly often" even when they halved the total framerate to 30fps? So we didn't just get the main display halved, it dips even more so. What on earth has happened to the polished Ratchet series we used to get?! I know the others had the odd dip here and there FROM 60FPS but to have it halved in the first place, then for it to drop more? Seriously.

Why would I buy this game IG?

glaurung

Finally pre-ordered the game from Amazon UK. I haven't missed a Ratchet and Clank game in the series history. Albeit All for One and Q-Force being kind of iffy, this looks like a genuine return to form.

Also noticed that Zavvi is charging 60 EUR for this game, while the Amazon price is £19.99. Crazy.

PaulloDEC

Stahp it - i'm supposed to be hyped about the PS4 now!

No really, keep it coming PaulloDEC

I feel like Nexus has shown up at just the right time actually. Now I have something neat to keep me entertained until Tearaway comes up, which in turn will keep me entertained until the PS4 launches. Thanks, Sony!

HOLD ON A MINUTE!

Are you saying that the game "chugs fairly often" even when they halved the total framerate to 30fps? So we didn't just get the main display halved, it dips even more so. What on earth has happened to the polished Ratchet series we used to get?! I know the others had the odd dip here and there FROM 60FPS but to have it halved in the first place, then for it to drop more? Seriously.

Because it's a pretty, creative game that's a lot of fun to play?

I'm not thrilled about the framerate drops either, but Nexus sure wouldn't be the first great game to suffer from them. Incidentally, people seem to process changes in framerate very differently from one another around here, so I wouldn't take my word as unshakeable gospel.

HOLD ON A MINUTE!

Because he said "chugs fairly often" in the context of heavy action situations, and because you enjoy Ratchet and Clank?

Thanks for the impressions Paullo. Despite my general fondness for the Ratchet & Clank series, this instalment hasn't really been on my radar. I've been unimpressed by the direction the games have taken since ACiT, and as far as platforming hijinks go this month, Tearaway has gotten all my attention. I must say though, this does actually look like it's shaped up really well. I may well have to sneak in a playthrough before Tearaway drops.

PaulloDEC

Thanks for the impressions Paullo. Despite my general fondness for the Ratchet & Clank series, this instalment hasn't really been on my radar. I've been unimpressed by the direction the games have taken since ACiT, and as far as platforming hijinks go this month, Tearaway has gotten all my attention. I must say though, this does actually look like it's shaped up really well. I may well have to sneak in a playthrough before Tearaway drops.

From what I've played so far, I can say that anyone who was worried that Nexus would be too much "Full Frontal Assault" and not enough "Crack in Time" has nothing to worry about. The gameplay is 100% the latter, with the usual mix of platforming, combat and environmental puzzles you'd expect. Really, the only similarities to the former I've noticed are the framerate and the control scheme.

30fps? Wtf... Wasnt tod and acit 60fps?

They were, yes.

I'd like to know (from the two people here playing it) what they think was actually gained from a visual point of view for IG to run the game at half the framerate that is used to be. Does the game look significantly better than the already pretty Crack in Time? From previous videos shown there is some pretty lighting, but are there huge vistas/open areas and busier combat sections etc?

I'd be really interested to know why they decided upon 30fps for a series that has been 60fps in the past.

PaulloDEC

I'd like to know (from the two people here playing it) what they think was actually gained from a visual point of view for IG to run the game at half the framerate that is used to be. Does the game look significantly better than the already pretty Crack in Time? From previous videos shown there is some pretty lighting, but are there huge vistas/open areas and busier combat sections etc?

I'd be really interested to know why they decided upon 30fps for a series that has been 60fps in the past.

It's certainly a pretty game, though I can't see any signs of a dramatic improvement over Crack in Time. There were some pretty sweet lighting effects (some glows and flares I can't recall seeing in a Ratchet game before) early on, so perhaps those?

That being said, we're dealing with entirely new locations in Nexus, so a direct comparison is impossible. It could be that if they were to show a 60fps version of the game side-by-side with the 30fps version, the difference would be much easier to judge.

Salz01

Few more thoughts:

• Planet
Silox

So the game has controllable ship segments?

Kujo

Impressions (very mild spoilers)

Played a bit over 3 hours, just reached the 4th planet (though technically the 3rd with one of them being an arena type place) I feel I'm about 2/3 through the story, but I can't give a full estimate till I'm done. It's already longer than Q4B and FFA however. And looking at the trophy list, I'd say maybe 15 hours if you want to run through it a couple of times to Platinum it.

So far this game feels like a big improvement on A4O, Q4B and FFA (Qforce). It does feel like a streamlined ACIT. No ship flying (basically menu based) or Clank the Timesweeper puzzles, but there's a new gameplay segment in replace of Clank's previous puzzles which is kinda neat. Otherwise it feels like a traditional Ratchet game, which is a good thing in this case. There's not a whole lot of platforming here, but there are some new gameplay elements introduced (a couple which may remind you of some other games) that work well. The intro level, and the first 2 planets were pretty long and varied. Overall I've found it quite enjoyable thus far.

Graphics are good, I'd say on par with ACIT, but with a notable improvement in the lighting. Some areas it got a bit bloomy, but I feel it works well on the whole. It does feel like a 30fps game, but, I did not notice any major framerate drops on my machine. It ran smoothly most of the time for me, and while 60fps would be nice, I never felt the framerate to be a problem here. The cutscenes, while a bit compressed, look nice, and the music and presentation are done well. If there's one thing I have to say, it's that the even better lighting in the cutscenes reminds me of how good this game could have looked on PS4 :p

Also in the menu there's an option for cloud saves, didn't check it out, but possible Vita version incoming? Anyhow, I think that's about it for the moment, will post again when I complete it. As it stands now, great game, Ratchet is back, and probably about the amount of content you'd expect for the price, but it's worth it. Buy it to support a PS4 R&C dagnamit

Gbraga

I dont think its useless crap, but in the last months it really feels like the only important thing for neogaf in a game is the FPS-count and nothing else.

It feels like every time I look into a thread there are just people posting sarcastic comments like a game would be a big pile of software crap when it is under 60FPS. Its not like I dont like smooth running games, I dont even have something against the people who prefer 60FPS games, but all these sarcastic oneliners are really annoying me.

With that I agree with

This is the one thing that bothers me the most about 30fps: It's never really solid 30.

People will defend that "30fps is fine" for games that get as low as 16fps at times.

The_Dude

Was going to get a bit further and post impressions, but I think things have been well covered. Up to the end of the first planet and have really been enjoying it. Nothing mind blowing, but it's the return of the traditional Ratchet & Clank I've been wanting.

As far as the framerate, it's a shame about the problems but they haven't really had too negative an impact for me.

spliced

I can't wait. This is kinda like a 2-in-1 for me since I just happened to give up on Futurama when I got into R&C and it seems so inspired by Futurama it's filled in nicely for me. I'm suprised I don't see this mentioned more but I guess Futurama is kinda old news now. Because lets face it Qwark IS Zapp Brannigan.

I must be one of the only people who enjoyed Tools Of Destruction more than A Crack In Time. Both games were awesome though.

I thought the average Ratchet level in TOD was better than the average one in ACIT, but the lack of side missions/distractions GC, UYA, and ACIT had brought it down a bit. The excellent Clank missions put it slightly above TOD for me, but I love both as well.

Even if the average consumer isn't aware of the technical details, they can still feel the difference between 60 and 30 fps and it does affect their enjoyment of the game. It's a fact that games running at 60 fps have stronger back-end sales, due to them having better word of mouth than games running at a choppy 30 fps.

Yeah, no. Let's take a look at the top selling titles on the PS3 for a second. Yup, well over half of those titles aren't even close to 60fps, sometimes not even 30 fps. 360, same deal. With your logic, shouldn't PC versions always sell the best? So much for your "facts".

On the other hand, the only people that care about the minuitae of graphic improvements that they gained from dropping to 30 fps, are people that are going to stop giving a shit about the PS3 in a week when the PS4 comes out. You think Joe Average consumer can even tell if a game is using SSAO or full HDR lighting, let alone have it impact his purchasing decision? LMAO at you, then.
Uhh.. I have no idea what you're trying to say here. People that care about minute gains are going to flock to the PS4? But the same people won't give a shit about said graphics improvements? Whatever thing you said, I never claimed it. Just that the majority of people couldn't give less a fuck about frame rate. There's a little top selling title you might have heard of that should have clued you in. But I'll wait for that better word of mouth and back end sales that will put the PC version as the top selling SKU, lol.

I must be one of the only people who enjoyed Tools Of Destruction more than A Crack In Time. Both games were awesome though.

i think tools is better as well, far more enjoyable and i hated the spaceship traveling in crack in time.
I bought and returned crack in time twice, each time i loved the bump in visuals but for me the frame rate put me off hugely. As others have said, a drop to 30fps is fine but it needs to be a rock steady 30fps. I'd rather sacrifice graphics for a smooth and fluid experience.
Sad to hear that nexus is a bumpy ride.

Sidzed2

Okay, so I've played less than an hour of this, so my impressions will mainly be focussed on the technical and artistic qualities of the game.

In short, this game looks very poor for such a late-cycle release.

The framerate sits at about 30p/s, with frequent chugs, and the game appears slightly blurred - although from memory, this is something that afflicted ACiT also.

Anyway, considering that the Ratchet games aren't exactly taxing the hardware, I am shocked that Insomniac could put out a game looks inferior to all previous major iterations of this series.

The visual performance is something that affects my enjoyment of the game - now, even the simple pleasure of busting open a crate and watching bolts fly is ruined, as the bolts stream out in a chugging, blurry mess.

To my mind, Tools of Destruction remains the best looking and playing Ratchet title, with Nexus undoubtedly being the worst (not including the recent spin offs).

I'm sure that the level design and humour will make up for it overall, but my initial impressions are that Insomniac just isn't trying very hard anymore.

Super disappointed - but obviously still early days.

8byte

Banned
frame rate concerns are being blown way out of proportion. Folks, learn to articulate, expand your vocabulary. "Chugs" is not a 5fps drop. "Chugs" is 15fps ala MGS3 on PS2.

The game didn't "chug" when I played it, and it likely won't "chug" when you play it, unless you're one of those poor unfortunate souls who simply cannot enjoy anything...in which case go back to PC gaming.

Also, if you can't see the improvements from the trade off in frame rate...go back and play ACiT. It's pretty evident, even in titles like A4O or FFA...

Edit: Post above is FUD.

I'm more willingly to believe non-Insomniac Games fanboy/Fuse Defense Force impressions, personally.

You'd think they can get a consistent 30fps going after all this time, shit. Guess we'll see when I get my hands-on.

Top Bottom