• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus Hits PS3 November 12th

Toppot

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DIDNT MAKE AN UPREZZED PS4 VERSION OF THIS!?!?!

It seems like such a smart move. Make the graphics look better with a high resolution , some higher poly models and some newer effects and voila! A solid PS4 release.

Just putting it out on PS3 and not PS4 is dumb. If Sony wants to keep supporting PS3, then fine, but AT LEAST put the games out on PS4 too. If even, just a somewhat upscaled version of the same title.

Sure, have them spend lots of time and money porting/rewriting a 8th generation engine PS3 game to sell a few thousand more copies, just to get a bit of extra fidelity, because porting R&C games goes so well.

It's just not worth it business wise. There are millions of people with a PS3 and a lot of PS4 owners will still have a PS3. PS4 will get its own R&C game, or at least a multiplatform one designed with PS4 in mind (Movie tie-in game perhaps)

Guys, I can't handle the hype :( I really want to play a Ratchet game RIGHT NOW. Don't wanna start ToD or ACiT :(

Quest for Booty of Fulll Frontal Assault are some nice smaller R&C games. Q4B is quite small and FFA is a bit meatier.

Ark

can't Sony made deal with Insomniac and sell the Ratchet IP? if I remember it right, the new Ratchet movie has nothing to do with Sony pictures too.

Sony isn't going to give up one of their most iconic franchise IPs. That's why Insomniac separated from Sony, they wanted to own their own IP.

The first couple entry was amazing games but the series went downhill due to adding stupid and unwanted features/gameplay into the series.

I've loved all Ratchet games, only one i've left to play is FFA... 'cause i don't like MOBA type of games... i'll get around to it one of this days...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Sure, have them spend lots of time and money porting/rewriting a 8th generation engine PS3 game to sell a few thousand more copies, just to get a bit of extra fidelity, because porting R&C games goes so well.
I wouldn't lay the responsibility for a port at Insomniac's feet. I think it really should be put at Sony's doorstep - they should be plowing some of the savings from dropping hardware BC altogether into at least getting some of the late gen 1st/2nd party games ported up to the PS4. Hire another studio to help Insomniac out if they must. Another half dozen exclusives for the PS3 this late in its life won't mean as much as it would to a brand new console that has to start its game library completely from scratch.

Byronic Hero said:
Tower defense isn't the reason we love Ratchet & Clank.
That doesn't make FFA a bad game though. And haven't there been enough of the main line R&C games to not begrudge 1 or 2 trying to take a different direction?

Why on earth would you think that?

Yes!!!, my hope for a PS4 R&C game by insomniac lives on!!!

Well, don't think horror. Think creepy / spooky. Perfect for Halloweentime (even if we are a little after Halloween on nov 12th)

Hell yeah!!!, Halloween rules!!! (shame we're not getting it earlier)

Oh, and my dream R&C game would have them stranded on a planet that's not as technically advanced, and them having to travel trough it (deserts, levels in the snow, caverns, jungles, volcanoes, all in the same planet), opening up new areas with new gadgets/items, and having to find a way off the planet.

That doesn't make FFA a bad game though. And haven't there been enough of the main line R&C games to not begrudge 1 or 2 trying to take a different direction?

I've never played more than the beta of FFA, so I can't attest to it being good or bad. Either way, while I agree that trying something different was warranted, that didn't seem like the best genre to try out. It worked in the multiplayer of UYA, but I don't think it should have had an entire game based on it.

Five

Banned
Preordered. I'm hoping it's a return to Future form both in gameplay and in storytelling. Regardless of what you think of the gameplay in A4O and FFA, the stories in them were barely serviceable. I really liked Azimuth's story, and Nefarious is so much better as a villain.

It's just not worth it business wise. There are millions of people with a PS3 and a lot of PS4 owners will still have a PS3. PS4 will get its own R&C game, or at least a multiplatform one designed with PS4 in mind (Movie tie-in game perhaps)

A few thousand? Come on man!

IF it was done right, it would sell way more than that.

Plus upscaling the PS3 version would NOT be that big of a deal. Sure it would require substantial work, but not so much as to make it not worthwhile.

Toppot

I wouldn't lay the responsibility for a port at Insomniac's feet. I think it really should be put at Sony's doorstep - they should be plowing some of the savings from dropping hardware BC altogether into at least getting some of the late gen 1st/2nd party games ported up to the PS4. Hire another studio to help Insomniac out if they must. Another half dozen exclusives for the PS3 this late in its life won't mean as much as it would to a brand new console that has to start its game library completely from scratch.
Where was I laying responsibility on Insomniac for that? Other studios have been hired to port R&C games in the past and they have had issues, they would have to find some more reliable studios like Bluepoint.

Depends how you define 'mean as much'? Releasing more games for PS3 means less people will sell them, and the longer they have the console the more likely they are to keep buying more games for it. Of course more games on PS4 would be good, but a port of a medium sized game that could take a lot of time and money to port? I think putting that time and money into new games is more important, Sony already has a ports-a-plenty console.

A few thousand? Come on man!

IF it was done right, it would sell way more than that.

Plus upscaling the PS3 version would NOT be that big of a deal. Sure it would require substantial work, but not so much as to make it not worthwhile.

Kind of contradicting yourself there. Obviously neither of us have the data to show whether or not it would be worthwhile. Given the history of porting R&C games I wouldn't say it was worth it.

That time and money could be better spent having the Uncharted series ported to PS4, Naughty Dog are already reworking their engine to work on PS4 so it wouldn't take as much effort as porting Insomniacs PS3 engine which is probably being ditched soon in favour of their multipat engine used on Fuse and soon Sunset Overdrive.

8byte

Banned
Sorry for the bump, just dropping some impressions from my play time at Community Day:

o IQ is easily better than FFA was. Really impressed by what Insomniac has done here, considering how soft A4O and FFA were.

o Space platforming was really fun, you could float around in space during travel, or instantly "zip" to metal platforms by pressing 'x' again.

o Humor is top notch.

o Animation is fantastic, particularly for scare animations with the Nightmare box. Really awesome.

o Controls are as tight as ever.

o Cinematics are probably the best I've ever seen in an R&C title. Tons of care here.

o Enemies seem to pack a punch, doesn't seem as "easy" as previous R&C titles were, respectively.

All in all, I was really pleased with what I played, and couldn't be more excited for a new Ratchet title. I kinda wish there was some MP, but I think I'll live! Also, I got to play some stuff I'm not allowed to talk about (with regards to this title) and let's just say...if you're a Ratchet fan...you should also be excited.

/bias

wouwie

Only two more weeks :) I can't wait to play some classic Ratchet again. I wish it was a full price full length game though. But hey, can't complain. If it's good, i'll probably replay it a couple of times anyway.

8byte

Banned
Only two more weeks :) I can't wait to play some classic Ratchet again. I wish it was a full price full length game though. But hey, can't complain. If it's good, i'll probably replay it a couple of times anyway.

Apparently it's among the hardest of Ratchet games, so it should be plenty replayable, at least once or twice!

How was the frame-rate?

Pretty solid, I didn't really notice any significant drops or anything. 30fps though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I think a lot of the EU countries are going to actually get it around the same time NA does. a few slipped, but most are back on track.

still trying to get the comprehensive date list together to share.

I would have LOVED a R&C game on PlayStation 4 at launch, but this game is releasing 9 days before next-gen in Germany and I don't have any motivation to play it.

What's the reason for the low price tag? Next-gen madness or playtime?

Shahed

After playing one of the best exclusives this gen recently in A Crack in Time, I'm all for this.

And to think I was on the verge of dismissing the franchise on the first try after playing All 4 One. Thank god my friend forced me to play the HD Collection!

krae_man

some invited community members got to see some more stuff at the studio the day after community day that would be spoilery and we asked them to not share online.

Okay, not spoiling the story is one thing, but putting media embargos on the public is stupid. I can't understand why companies have public events but then try telling people "you're not allowed to take off screen photos or video" etc.

Not 100% sure where this falls since I don't know what 8byte saw but whatever

/rant.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Where was I laying responsibility on Insomniac for that? Other studios have been hired to port R&C games in the past and they have had issues, they would have to find some more reliable studios like Bluepoint.

Depends how you define 'mean as much'? Releasing more games for PS3 means less people will sell them, and the longer they have the console the more likely they are to keep buying more games for it. Of course more games on PS4 would be good, but a port of a medium sized game that could take a lot of time and money to port? I think putting that time and money into new games is more important, Sony already has a ports-a-plenty console.
LTTP - Missed your comment earlier. I wasn't suggesting *you* were holding Insom responsible, I was just making a general statement that at a platform transition like this, without any other kind of BC option in sight, Sony themselves should be taking the responsibility for getting ports of some of these games done, rather leaving it in the hands of their 1st/2nd parties to decide on their own.

Honestly I would think Sony saved enough money by not researching and manufacturing a new console with full hardware BC built in to reinvest a little of that into up-ports to the PS4 at least for PS3 games releasing around its launch window.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Okay, not spoiling the story is one thing, but putting media embargos on the public is stupid. I can't understand why companies have public events but then try telling people "you're not allowed to take off screen photos or video" etc.

Not 100% sure where this falls since I don't know what 8byte saw but whatever

/rant.

we didn't put any embargoes on the public. anyone who saw the game at Community Day could discuss or talk about whatever.

also - the only reason people don't like on-screen video / photos is because we've all had stuff blown out of proportion if a bug shows up or something weird happens. The perils of early code. If code is final, I don't mind people shooting the screen at all.

when we invite people to the studio, sometimes we want to show more and more behind the scene stuff, we may ask folks then to keep certain things to themselves as to not spoil the experience.

i'm not seeing the issue.

krae_man

we didn't put any embargoes on the public. anyone who saw the game at Community Day could discuss or talk about whatever.

also - the only reason people don't like on-screen video / photos is because we've all had stuff blown out of proportion if a bug shows up or something weird happens. The perils of early code. If code is final, I don't mind people shooting the screen at all.

when we invite people to the studio, sometimes we want to show more and more behind the scene stuff, we may ask folks then to keep certain things to themselves as to not spoil the experience.

i'm not seeing the issue.

You're splitting hairs on what is and isn't an embargo there. I just generally dislike the control of information video games have. You're making a video game, not running for president. You can say something 3 days before the marketing plan says to announce it without your sales tanking.

You spoiled the game for them, you can probably spoil it for anyone who wants to know whatever you showed.

Toppot

I think a lot of the EU countries are going to actually get it around the same time NA does. a few slipped, but most are back on track.

still trying to get the comprehensive date list together to share.

If UK is back on track then I will, figuratively, kiss your feet.

LTTP - Missed your comment earlier. I wasn't suggesting *you* were holding Insom responsible, I was just making a general statement that at a platform transition like this, without any other kind of BC option in sight, Sony themselves should be taking the responsibility for getting ports of some of these games done, rather leaving it in the hands of their 1st/2nd parties to decide on their own.

Honestly I would think Sony saved enough money by not researching and manufacturing a new console with full hardware BC built in to reinvest a little of that into up-ports to the PS4 at least for PS3 games releasing around its launch window.

Sony giving it to first parties would be handling it themselves? Unless you give it to software engineers to port which would be ill fitting of their job description, which is usually focused on Tools, R&D and SDK. There just needs to be more quality control on ports and better accountability on devs failing to meet their end of the deal.

Sony have their Gaikai cloud gaming to support backwards compatibility, in a way. Having it down on hardware is expensive. Money saved and much better spent on the console as it is today, seemingly wiping the floor with the Xbox One.

You're splitting hairs on what is and isn't an embargo there. I just generally dislike the control of information video games have. You're making a video game, not running for president. You can say something 3 days before the marketing plan says to announce it without your sales tanking.

You spoiled the game for them, you can probably spoil it for anyone who wants to know whatever you showed.

I have to agree with Jsteve on this one. I really don't want the game spoiled before launch.

Top Bottom