• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus Hits PS3 November 12th

misterF

Neo Member
Crack in Time is one of my favorite games of the generation and the only game I've played in the series. It's been a long wait but I'm glad we're finally getting a sequel. One thing that I was disappointed with was the absence of the Clank puzzles from ACiT, hope the new Clank levels are as interesting.

reKon

Banned
Think about an open world Ratchet and Clank game...

Like ACiT 2... except on PS4. Jesus that would be insane...

Or what if they did all of this to make an incredible single player (which ACiT was!), but then took the same kind of build + battle style gameplay that was done in Starhawk, balance/simplified it more (doesn't need to be too complex - more like as accessible as a CoD game, but with 16 vs 16 matches with balance, chaos, and fun being the main objective here) , and then applied that to the multiplayer aspect of the game within the Ratchet and Clank universe. The gameplay would be nuts, the space levels would be nuts...

That would probably be one of the most fun Playstation titles ever.

Insonmiac, stop messing around and make this happen, please.

Thanks.

wouwie

Oh wait... is this game delayed in Europe? I must have missed this bit of news. Such a shame. Granted, it's only one week but i'm eager to play this.

Just finished reading through the thread and I thought it'd be nice to say thanks to Jstevenson. It's really great that you go this far for the community, what with the status updates and extra favors and whatnot, and I appreciate that you do this for us. It's nice to have person to talk about the game rather than a PR machine for once.

Massa

http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/showthread.php?53579-Update-on-Release-Dates

"Hey guys, just wanted to give you a heads up of release dates. Tomorrow 11/6 Nexus will be available at retail in AU (not digitally via PSN yet). If you live in any EU region except Germany, Austria, Switzerland, or Italy the game will be available at the original release dates of 11/13-11/15 (both blu-ray and PSN, including AU PSN). Germany, Austria, Switzerland, or Italy will be 11/20 still.

North
America is also still 11/12 download and disc.

Hope that helps!

Bottom line: Check with your local retailer. They should have official release dates at this point."

okayfrog

Banned
Question that has probably already been asked: Do only the first-run copies come with a download code for Quest for Booty? I got Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time last year. Played through ToD, but decided to hold off on CiT until Quest for Booty dropped in price. It never did. $30 is an incredible deal, but I have plenty of new games to play at the moment and would rather hold off on purchasing it for a bit.

wouwie

Wow. Strange that the game releases tomorrow in AU, one week before anywhere else. Great to see that it's coming to my country next week.

Is anyone doing an OT?

Castcoder

Banned
The more I see this title, the less I care about it. I know it will be utter shit like the last two, but not as bad as Deadlocked HD. The 30FPS or less margin has been giving me headaches and I can't stand watching one of my favorite studios crumble. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any justification to this game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The more I see this title, the less I care about it. I know it will be utter shit like the last two, but not as bad as Deadlocked HD. The 30FPS or less margin has been giving me headaches and I can't stand watching one of my favorite studios crumble. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any justification to this game.

uhhhhhh

My feelings are so mixed on the R&C:F games. I adore them both, it should be clear, first and foremost.

A Crack in Time is absolutely the most polished and well-balanced Ratchet & Clank game - every weapon has a distinct purpose from the others and remains useful for the entire game (exceptions made for the RYNO, of course, which pretty much makes half of your arsenal obsolete by virtue of being intentionally overpowered). The entire game design is absolutely lovely and fleshed-out.

Tools of Destruction is a good bit jankier (I fell through levels several times, much of it feels a good bit more sterile, and so on), but I found that game to be more *fun* than A Crack in Time even though I think ACiT is clearly the *better* game. It's probably because ToD has bazillions of weapons (and a more complex weapon upgrade system) - I enjoyed it as a goofy fun shootbang game. ACiT also had more occasions where I felt like I was using a weapon not because it was the ideal time to use it, but just to get it leveled up; ToD's dual-upgrade system (you upgraded weapons with experience *and* you upgraded weapons by dumping currency into them) was a good way to make sure you were never forced to use a weak weapon until it became usable.

I dunno. R&C has always been a great franchise regardless (aside from some of its recent non-traditional side games). I'm super excited for this return to form.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Crack in Time rivals Up Your Arsenal for best game in the series, and one of the best games of its respective generation.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Toppot

Wow. Strange that the game releases tomorrow in AU, one week before anywhere else. Great to see that it's coming to my country next week.

Is anyone doing an OT?

injurai is.

This game is going back to the 'good old' R&C games like ToD and ACiT. Neither A4O or FFA are 'shit' games in any objective view, A4O has a different audience, and FFA is a fun but short romp with a bad online component. They maybe aren't as good but Nexus is meant to 'fix' that.

Other than 30 FPS, which has been done to death, what have your heard about this game do you not like? Because I've heard nothing but good things (You could argue it would be nice if the game was longer but eh)

http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/showthread.php?53579-Update-on-Release-Dates

"Hey guys, just wanted to give you a heads up of release dates. Tomorrow 11/6 Nexus will be available at retail in AU (not digitally via PSN yet). If you live in any EU region except Germany, Austria, Switzerland, or Italy the game will be available at the original release dates of 11/13-11/15 (both blu-ray and PSN, including AU PSN). Germany, Austria, Switzerland, or Italy will be 11/20 still.

North
America is also still 11/12 download and disc.

Hope that helps!

Bottom line: Check with your local retailer. They should have official release dates at this point."

WHAT? This is bogus man, why do we have to wait 9 more days...what the hell, Insomniac.

We're PAL too...

Ahem... ok...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
WHAT? This is bogus man, why do we have to wait 9 more days...what the hell, Insomniac.

We're PAL too...

honestly, I don't know all the reasons why various countries get it when. But NA was full speed ahead for next week, there was something in place with a retailer in Aus for today, and while technically the game slipped in some European countries, SCEE was able to preserve the date in most countries over there.

All a little crazy with all the stuff going on right now, but trying to get it into as many people's hands as soon as we can

GAMEPROFF

Banned
OMG, the day all this hyperbole about 60/30FPS ends I will celebrate.

Its more annoying than all this Next-Gen-Fanboy-War-Bullshit.

honestly, I don't know all the reasons why various countries get it when. But NA was full speed ahead for next week, there was something in place with a retailer in Aus for today, and while technically the game slipped in some European countries, SCEE was able to preserve the date in most countries over there.

All a little crazy with all the stuff going on right now, but trying to get it into as many people's hands as soon as we can

Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated. I imagine it is pretty crazy but 9 days before the UK? Man....that's a hard pill to swallow. Ah well, gives me a reason to replay ACiT I guess. I just have to hope I don't encounter any spoilers over the next 9 days....

You know what would make up for AUS getting the game early...some Sunset Overdrive footage...

dENE2PE.gif

Gbraga

OMG, the day all this hyperbole about 60/30FPS ends I will celebrate.

Its more annoying than all this Next-Gen-Fanboy-War-Bullshit.

I don't know man, for people who care about 60fps, reading posts like yours pretending it's just useless crap is annoying as hell too.

I've come in terms with this game being 30fps, and I hope it's as good as the Future trilogy, but I also really hope they go back to 60fps some day, maybe on the PS4.

Camjo-Z

lol I totally forgot I preordered this game until I saw this topic. Time to finish Deadlocked HD in preparation!

The number one reason I am excited for this and why I find it impossible to become less excited about it (as that one poster said) is because the last time Insomniac dealt with a big backlash over one of their franchises (the fan reaction to Resistance 2), they delivered an absolutely fucking incredible game afterward (Resistance 3).

I'm not saying that incredibly aggressive fan backlashes are a good thing or that they're remotely fun for Insomniac to deal with - they're not - but when Insomniac needs to prove themselves and deliver a fun-as-hell game oriented toward their fans, they do it. I'm not worried. That kind of love note to the fans (rather than an attempt at expanding the audience) seems to be what Into the Nexus is all about.

I do hope they get to deliver the same sort of retort with Fuse at some point, but maybe the sort of thing we saw with R3 and that I hope to see with Into the Nexus can only happen with IPs funded by a platform holder and not with a third party publisher who is extremely aggressive about the bottom line like EA.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't know man, for people who care about 60fps, reading posts like yours pretending it's just useless crap is annoying as hell too.

I dont think its useless crap, but in the last months it really feels like the only important thing for neogaf in a game is the FPS-count and nothing else.

It feels like every time I look into a thread there are just people posting sarcastic comments like a game would be a big pile of software crap when it is under 60FPS. Its not like I dont like smooth running games, I dont even have something against the people who prefer 60FPS games, but all these sarcastic oneliners are really annoying me.

The number one reason I am excited for this and why I find it impossible to become less excited about it (as that one poster said) is because the last time Insomniac dealt with a big backlash over one of their franchises (the fan reaction to Resistance 2), they delivered an absolutely fucking incredible game afterward (Resistance 3).

I'm not saying that incredibly aggressive fan backlashes are a good thing or that they're remotely fun for Insomniac to deal with - they're not - but when Insomniac needs to prove themselves and deliver a fun-as-hell game oriented toward their fans, they do it. I'm not worried. That kind of love note to the fans (rather than an attempt at expanding the audience) seems to be what Into the Nexus is all about.

I do hope they get to deliver the same sort of retort with Fuse at some point, but maybe the sort of thing we saw with R3 and that I hope to see with Into the Nexus can only happen with IPs funded by a platform holder and not with a third party publisher who is extremely aggressive about the bottom line like EA.

Fuse's retort will be Sunset Overdrive.

8byte

Banned
Okay, not spoiling the story is one thing, but putting media embargos on the public is stupid. I can't understand why companies have public events but then try telling people "you're not allowed to take off screen photos or video" etc.

Not 100% sure where this falls since I don't know what 8byte saw but whatever

/rant.

What I saw was not at a public event, and thus, embargoed.

rjc571

Banned
I dont think its useless crap, but in the last months it really feels like the only important thing for neogaf in a game is the FPS-count and nothing else.

It feels like every time I look into a thread there are just people posting sarcastic comments like a game would be a big pile of software crap when it is under 60FPS. Its not like I dont like smooth running games, I dont even have something against the people who prefer 60FPS games, but all these sarcastic oneliners are really annoying me.

The reason the outcry against Ratchet going 30 fps is so large is that the series is popular in large part due to the previous games running at 60 fps. If the developer downgrades a key element of the series' gameplay to a severe degree, of course fans are going to be angry about at and are going to make their voices heard. You can bet that if Insomniac removed the strafing controls that have been in place since R&C2, fans would be mad about that as well.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The reason the outcry against Ratchet going 30 fps is so large is that the series is popular in large part due to the previous games running at 60 fps. If the developer downgrades a key element of the series' gameplay to a severe degree, of course fans are going to be angry about at and are going to make their voices heard. You can bet that if Insomniac removed the strafing controls that have been in place since R&C2, fans would be mad about that as well.

it's not like 30fps is a total downgrade, there are tons of graphical things we can do in place of that.

it's a tradeoff. We think it was worth it. You can decide when you see and play it

Fuse's retort will be Sunset Overdrive.

Yeah, agreed (and it's funded by a platform holder, so hopefully that means Insomniac will feel comfortable taking risks - the trailer certainly looks interesting and fun rather than mass-market pandering to me).

You also italicized the word 'retort' and now I'm feeling bad about my word choice. :'( :'(

rjc571

Banned
it's not like 30fps is a total downgrade, there are tons of graphical things we can do in place of that.

it's a tradeoff. We think it was worth it. You can decide when you see and play it

Obviously lots of Ratchet fans don't agree with you. The negative reaction to All 4 One should have clued you in.

RPGCrazied

Does this have space missions and exploring? One of my favorite things to do in Crack in Time. So its a little shorter. I'm guessing 5 hours in length?

Top Bottom