• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: PS4 Pro Update details

Some people forgot that the old R&C games, like the ones on the PS3 (not Nexus) are only targeting 60fps. Most of the time the framerate was between 40 and 60fps. Not solid at all. In addition to that the IQ of the games were just bad with subHD.

R&C PS4 has an amazing IQ and runs rocksolid with 30fps, no dips whatsoever. Combined with amazing motion blur it's just feels great and even the most 60fps fanatic (like me) should give it a try at least.

(Yeah I know, 60fps would still be better though. But stay fair here.)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And they expect me buy a pro? If most developers are just prioritizing graphics and not gameplay enhancements that come with a higher framerate why bother? No 4k blu ray, still crappy controller battery/light bar and developers are prioritizing graphics over everything else. They want to stop people from upgrading to PCs yet they are constantly doing everything they can to prioritize my PC.

If you cared about FPS that much, you were not gaming on consoles till this point anyway.

You should have known from the second the Pro docs were leaked that it was a lost cause.

Consoles will never prioritize 60fps as a standard, so you should give it up.

Even most of the games that people assumed were sixty back in the day on DC and PS2(like the OG ratchets for example) were unlocked FPS, and not 60.

Pennywise

And they expect me buy a pro? If most developers are just prioritizing graphics and not gameplay enhancements that come with a higher framerate why bother? No 4k blu ray, still crappy controller battery/light bar and developers are prioritizing graphics over everything else. They want to stop people from upgrading to PCs yet they are constantly doing everything they can to prioritize my PC.

What does Insomniac's decision has to do with the Pro ?
Please just upgrade your PC and stick with it.

Stop expecting 60fps Insomniac games peoples

ratchet_facepalm_by_max255-d4dx7co.png
No thanks, I expect something chasing the PC crowd to have the benefits of a PC (higher framerate vs higher resolution).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No thanks, I expect something chasing the PC crowd to have the benefits of a PC (higher framerate vs higher resolution).

Its not chasing PC, Pro is designed to stop console owners from going OVER to PC. Big difference.

I'll say it again: If you expect 60fps as a general rule, don't even bother looking at the Pro, or the PS4 itself.

Vashetti

Banned

Insomniac announced 8 years ago in 2009 that they wouldn't make any more 60fps games. If you were expecting R&C to be 60fps on the Pro then I don't know what to tell you.

Wereroku

Again this is not a Sony decision the devs are free to use the extra power however they want. Insomniac chooses not to do 60fps games anymore. Sony doesn't dictate that every game has to be 30fps eye candy it's just that eye candy games generally sale better. Also them only upclocking the cpu slightly means games already struggling with 30fps are going to be more stable not suddenly doubled.

Don't think they really care if you buy a Pro if you already have a PS4. Anyway, I think expectations are too high for these early PS4 Pro patches. These games were not designed from the beginning to take advantage of the power and I doubt many developer resources are being tasked with updating old games. This is kind of like PS4 year one. I look forward to seeing how the power is utilized 6 months to a year from now.

Some people forgot that the old R&C games, like the ones on the PS3 (not Nexus) are only targeting 60fps. Most of the time the framerate was between 40 and 60fps. Not solid at all. In addition to that the IQ of the games were just bad with subHD.

R&C PS4 has an amazing IQ and runs rocksolid with 30fps, no dips whatsoever. Combined with amazing motion blur it's just feels great and even the most 60fps fanatic (like me) should give it a try at least.

(Yeah I know, 60fps would still be better though. But stay fair here.)

Not sure why you're celebrating "solid" 30fps as if unlocked 30fps is even an option.

Most of PS2's best selling games (R&C included), modern COD & Battlefield, and countless remasters all run at unlocked 60 and still feel fantastic.

Unlocked 30 games like Nexus are near-unplayable.

Not sure why you're prioritizing "solid" framerate when it's only necessary for 30fps.

Most of PS2's best selling games (R&C included), modern COD & Battlefield, and countless remasters all run at unlocked 60 and still feel fantastic.

Unlocked 30 games like Nexus are near-unplayable.

I just wanted to point out that especially the PS3 games were not that great in terms of performance as many people might thought. I replayed all games this summer. And even though I had a fantastic experience with them I noticed the many flaws these games have in terms of graphics and performance. Still great to play, but again, bad IQ (subHD) and incosistent framerate.

Nexus ran with a 30fps cap and has framedrops all the time. The only R&C game which ran with under 30fps most of the time iirc.

And yes, I like rocksolid 30fps mor than a various framerate, because I like consistency. 60fps would be perfect, even with small dips in the 50s here and there, but between 40-60 is not so great anymore. At least for me.

If you cared about FPS that much, you were not gaming on consoles till this point anyway.

You should have known from the second the Pro docs were leaked that it was a lost cause.

Even most of the games that people assumed were sixty back in the day on DC and PS2(like the OG ratchets for example) were unlocked FPS, and not 60.

I like how I never gamed on consoles because I disagree with the asinine moves Sony has made from marketing, design and features. I upgraded my PC with a 1070 and could easily buy a pro but they aren't giving me real reasons too. They say they want people to get a PC yet aren't providing the full benefits of one.

It doesn't even help that it doesn't even provide passive performance to other games like X1S. I'm not expecting much but when you're trying to sell something you're supposed to give me reasons too and they aren't

This and Uncharted 4 are what I care most about to replay on Pro.

R&C was already a breathtaking looking game.... can't believe it will looks even better now :) !

icespide

Banned
I like how I never gamed on consoles because I disagree with the asinine moves Sony has made from marketing, design and features. I upgraded my PC with a 1070 and could easily buy a pro but they aren't giving me real reasons too. They say they want people to get a PC yet aren't providing the full benefits of one.
frame rate has nothing to do with hardware on consoles

vivekTO

What??

It is for those who will upgrade to PC from there existing console in mid console cycle, not to someone who will exclusively play on pc(this is what sony going for).

platocplx

They didnt say anything like that. You clearly have the funds so just go build your rig and be done with consoles man. Lol they wanted to give people a bump in specs that are closer to pc and make people think of reconsidering their options mid gen. If you think they will ever make a console super PC like you are extremely mistaken.

I just wanted to point out that especially the PS3 games were not that great in terms of performance as many people might thought. I replayed all games this summer. And even though I had a fantastic experience with them I noticed the many flaws these games have in terms of graphics and performance.

Nexus ran with a 30fps cap and has framedrops all the time. The only R&C game which ran with under 30fps most of the time iirc.

And yes, I like rocksolid 30fps mor than a various framerate, because I like consistency. 60fps would be perfect, even with small dips in the 50s here and there, but between 40-60 is not a great experience for me.

Clearly the first 2 PS3 games can't be that bad if Nexus was the only game to dip under 30fps. Many people claim to not see a difference between 30fps & 60fps. I'm betting that far fewer are sensitive to drops from 60 to 45.

But this difference of opinion wouldn't matter if more devs gave us options like RotTR and Nioh. I guess Insomniac cares less about its fans (and money)?

They didnt say anything like that. You clearly have the funds so just go build your rig and be done with consoles man. Lol they wanted to give people a bump in specs that are closer to pc and make people think of reconsidering their options mid gen. If you think they will ever make a console super PC like you are extremely mistaken.

The Xbox 360 was superior to any PC when it came out and you can find comparisons like king long, Just Cause and Bioshock that were at the same level or better on 360 than any available hardware on PC at the time.

I wish these Pro updates added new content, too, as unrealistic as that sounds, I already got my Plat and would love a reason to playthrough other than the visual updates, haha!

breakfuss

I get what everyone is saying but a 60fps option would have been nice. This is the sort of game that deserves it and it's definitely noticeable compared to other platformers. Still excited to finish it on the Pro though.

DieH@rd

Banned
Amazing game. Sony was mad to offer it for just $40.

And now it's gonna look even more batshit insane with HDR.

I stopped playing when jstevenson said in OT that they have something special planned for Pro. Looks like I can go ahead and finish it right away because its not like the game looks bad or anything. Dunno why I expected 60fps patch from Insomniac of all devs.

what are you even trying to say? Especially in the case of R&C, I'm not sure what your point is. It's a console exclusive game

platocplx

The Xbox 360 was superior to any PC when it came out and you can find comparisons like king long, Just Cause and Bioshock that were at the same level or better on 360 than any available hardware on PC at the time.

Lmao there are many reasons for that especially at that time PC was an afterthought for those titles, Things have changes drastically where you will get better performance from a fully fledged PC GPU vs anything a console could do. I have no idea why you are comparing a 10 year old console to PCs back then vs what is available now PC vs console. Especially when architecture for consoles is looking to be both energy efficent and highly optimized to a certain degree and highly mass producible while a PC can be built in various configurations.

And im a console gamer myself and i understand the limitations im not sure what you are expecting from these consoles it seems you would be way better off with a pc.

Shin-Ra

Complete and utter bollocks.

This guy is trolling hard.

Nev

Banned

Hahahaa holy fucking shit. "Framerate drops are a reward for some players."

Anyways, PS4 Pro continues to be a huge dissapointment. Who ever asked for upscaled 4k? Improved AA? Jesus. On the other hand I'm kind of glad this new hardware is absolutely worthless to me so I don't feel like I'm being left behind with the original PS4. The only thing that would make this pointless toy worth it to me is 60fps in Bloodborne, but it seems like 60fps anything is not even being considered. What a joke.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Anyways, PS4 Pro continues to be a huge dissapointment. Who ever asked for upscaled 4k? Improved AA? Jesus. On the other hand I'm kind of glad this new hardware is absolutely worthless to me so I don't feel like I'm being left behind with the original PS4. The only thing that would make this pointless toy worth it to me is 60fps in Bloodborne, but it seems like 60fps anything is not even being considered. What a joke.
"Absolutely worthless" and "pointless toy" eh? You come across just a little bit out of touch of reality.

lt519

Might be time for my third play through.

This game was phenomenal looking before the patch, can't even imagine what it looks like now.

hawk2025

...Jesus.

Alebrije

how long must we endure this "no 60fps??!?" nonsense in Pro threads?

It will never end , since PS4 launch the 1080p 60fps stuff was expected , then PS4 pro was announced and some people thought that finally will get that but now it seems even pro can't handle that.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I asked earlier about song of the deep, after a bit of googling it seems that it does run at 60 fps. So no point in trying to say insomniac will never make a 60fps game again.

Wereroku

I asked earlier about song of the deep, after a bit of googling it seems that it does run at 60 fps. So no point in trying to say insomniac will never make a 60fps game again.

On console song of the deep is 1080p/30 with drops. This is a thread about their console games.

breakfuss

it's not nonsense to want better performance but it was clear AGES ago that the Pro would not be ushering in a new era of 60fps console games. the "no 60??" shit is so tired at this point

Fair enough, guess my issue lies more with Insmoniac's design philosophy than it does the Pro's capabilities. Had the same issue with Sunset Overdrive. Still enjoy their games though.

Top Bottom