• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy |OT| Rip your PS3 a new one

injurai

Banned
Because Insomniac already covered that. The US is getting the game later, but they're getting some super-special bonus thing with their version that Europe doesn't get... Even though they've pushed the European release back by almost two months now.

I'm hoping for a replica omni-wrench. I'd pay a high price is sony sold those.

Carl

3 of my favourite games from last generation :D Bought every Ratchet and Clank game, i'm not about to stop now.

Even if the trophies will drive me up the wall.

PaulLFC

Got this on preorder. Will we get the US bonus in Europe as well? I'm pretty sure our version was delayed too, just not as delayed.

Atruvius

1st R&C was the closest Insomniac has ever gotten to making a Zelda-like game. I love R&C games, but sometimes I wonder how the series would have evolved if they had focused on the gadgets/exploration rather than on the weapons/combat.

First game had the best level and I really love how open open some of the levels are, like Pokitaru. First game is the best one for me.

shamanick

This has been the HD collection I've been waiting for, these games are some of my all-time favorites. I really hope they fix the hoverboard race skill point in the first game. I remember doing perfect run after perfect run and being like .01 second over the time every time. It sure felt like a glitch.

Amazon says the collection comes to US on October 2.

I had no idea deadlocked was confirmed to be coming to Japan psn. If that's true then the special bonus for NA is almost definitely going to be that. That makes me real happy because if anything deadlocked was a fun bonus mode with some hilarious sports announcers.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm so happy they manage to do 60 fps 1080p for these. It sucked that 80 gb fatties ran the PS2 versions in a terrible broken manner.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Amazon says the collection comes to US on October 2.

I had no idea deadlocked was confirmed to be coming to Japan psn. If that's true then the special bonus for NA is almost definitely going to be that. That makes me real happy because if anything deadlocked was a fun bonus mode with some hilarious sports announcers.

Ugh...and Gamestops date is September. October is too long....maybe they'll surprise us and have it ready early for August.

It's out the same day as Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - what a dilemma. If I managed to get in on that Asda deal of £13.50 in time then it would've been a no-brainer, but alas. I'm now officially signed up to hotukdeals.com.

Already got and it's great. Razorsharp 1080P and 60 fps goodness.
The only letdown is that some sutscenes are not updated, 4:3 and fuzzy. I played Crack In Time afterwards and that looks not as awesome as these 'old' games. Sure there's more going on the screen, but the art direction of the old games is a perfect fit for 1080P

I sometimes think that this series doesn't quite get the praise that it truly deserves; this isn't just a good series of games, it's a bloody amazing series with endearing characters, ace combat arenas, solid platforming and mini-game.Oh, and the weapons are semi-decent as well. If this was a Nintendo series, everyone and their grandmother would be all over it.

Up Your Arsenal is pretty much the crown jewel of the series, the combat arena, the trials and the genius Qwark 2D mini-game tips it over the edge. A Crack in Time is a close second, mind you.

Yep, A Crack in Time is my favourite Ratchet game but it only barely edged out Up Your Arsenal. I adore that game and the rest of the PS2 titles.

thelastword

Banned
Already got and it's great. Razorsharp 1080P and 60 fps goodness.
The only letdown is that some sutscenes are not updated, 4:3 and fuzzy. I played Crack In Time afterwards and that looks not as awesome as these 'old' games. Sure there's more going on the screen, but the art direction of the old games is a perfect fit for 1080P
Glad to hear it, except the cutscenes of course. I may very well pre-order it then as I love 1080p 60fps and I've never played these games. I have always wanted to get them on PS2, but somehow never did. Since they're getting so much praise here, even moreso than the PS3 versions then it's a no-brainer.

As for the current gen games, I really wish insomniac prioritized resolution and IQ with their 60fps and let solid artwork complement that as opposed to putting a tonne of effects on screen. In any case, I guess that ship has sailed, this collection is testament to my take on this and PS4 may be my best bet for a Pixar Quality Ratchet or platformer series in the future.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
i'm in Italy, so I apologize for my lack of postings.

will be here for two more weeks.

will be fun to buy the game on EU release though, never been over here for one of those.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
i'm in Italy, so I apologize for my lack of postings.

will be here for two more weeks.

will be fun to buy the game on EU release though, never been over here for one of those.

james respond to me please ; ;

I even facebook questioned you, I'm dying here for answer, it a matter of life and death, in a trophy sense

Also I'm jelly at your twitter pic of spaghetti and meatballs, looked so good

Himself

To those who prefer these games over the PS3 ones, what makes them better in your opinion?

I've only played the PS3 ones and really enjoyed them. Just wondering what makes the OGs possibly better.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
To those who prefer these games over the PS3 ones, what makes them better in your opinion?

I've only played the PS3 ones and really enjoyed them. Just wondering what makes the OGs possibly better.

Some of the best times I had with PS2 games

They are truly Legacy titles

Whatever you see in the PS3 titles is the refinement from these titles

First time when I reached the cutscene for the line of "What's a RYNO?", and the answer that followed "Rip You (a) New One", I fell in love

So much fun, challenging to boot, those skill points required your attention

Each one got better, added more, and with ACIT, it was Insomniac's crowning achievement, then A4O pegged the franchise back down =/

Hell I'm importing it, if multiple platinum trophy stacks from different regions, I will double, triple, or quadruple dip to show my appreciation

i'd say Crack in Time is easily up there with the best of the PS2 Ratchet games. The problem with Tools of Destruction is that, aside from the graphics, it didn't do anything better than any of the previous games; in fact, it probably did them slightly worse. The strain of developing for the PS3 certainly had a negative effect on the first PS3 Ratchet game.

As for All4One, I never really understood why they would strip out the series most endearing tropes in the name of multi-player co-op. Gone is the high replayability, weapons upgrading system, combat arena and mini-games, and what's left is a functional, slightly ordinary co-op game that fails to exploit the strengths of the series. I had fun playing the game online, but as for as Ratchet games go, it's well below the series best. As a side-note, Quest for Booty suffered from the same problems with zero replayability being the chief offender.

They also suffered from perfecting the formula with the PS2 games, and, to a certain extent, there's the sense, unfairly I might add, that familiarity breeds contempt; it's often the stick with which many a reviewer has beaten the later games with. And this is despite the fact that this style of game is in such short supply. So, that's probably why the PS2 games are so revered in comparison to the PS3 games.

Himself

Cool. Waiting to see what this allegedly crazy US pre-order bonus is. I'm not burned out on the series and if the first three are at least as good as ToD, then I'm in.

Acrylic7

the only thing that the ps3 Ratchets do better than the ps2 Ratchets are, graphics. Which isn't really a big leap since I consider the first 3 to have better art direction/environments.

ps2 Ratchets have vehicles
better weapons
better levels
Humor is way better
Mother fucking Slim Cognito.

you will see...............eventually.

So, is this out on the PSN store this week? I've been debating whether to buy it at retail or split the cost with a friend and buy it digitally. Even if I do buy it digitally, I'll probably end up picking a discounted retail copy, just so I have a physical copy to go alongside all my other Ratchet and Clank games. For now, I'd be happy to pick up the digital release, but only if it's out this week; there's no way I'm waiting to pick up this game any longer after all the delays.

boingball

Preordered and can't wait to rip my PS3 a new one. All three amongst my favorite games of all time (and R&C2 is near the top).

overcast

One of my favorite game franchises, first 3 are perfect. Never played Deadlocked, or any of the 3 ps3 games unfortunately.

Thrakier

I'm still bitter because I never got the Platinum Trophy because of some bug in CiT. And JStevenson didn't answer me. :(

Psi

I've been waiting for this collection for so long. I'm also glad that James Stevenson has teased that Deadlocked will be getting a PSN release (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-psn-this-fall/comment-page-1/#comment-719960). I played the first two games and deadlocked over and over again, so I think this time I'll take UYA for a few spins. I never did play that one all that much for some reason.

What about this?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...layer-included/comment-page-3/#comment-700054

I know its a couple months earlier, but it sounds like it's not Deadlocked to me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Did they add Lock-Strafe to Going Commando?

the only thing that the ps3 Ratchets do better than the ps2 Ratchets are, graphics. Which isn't really a big leap since I consider the first 3 to have better art direction/environments.

better weapons
better levels
Humor is way better

I feel Crack in Time was way up there in terms of levels and variety. I'd put it up there with UYA.

better weapons
better levels
Humor is way better

yeah, i love'm all, but the ps3 r&cs have a more 'family-friendly' sense of humor, while the earlier ones were a lot more biting/sardonic...

Famassu

better weapons
better levels
Humor is way better

No, A Crack in Time is in every way superior to past R&C games.

Duffyside

Banned
Sad to say that watching some of the gameplay from the first game's HD remake on youtube has sort of turned me off on this... :/

I guess it was the awful sound effects, and the lack of rocket boots that made me say "oh... that doesn't actually look like all that much fun..."

Top Bottom