• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman DLC leak for Super Smash Bros. Wii U [revealed fake]

banofypie

Banned
I'm just going to throw out two salient points that I think a lot of people are forgetting:

• Rayman Origins and Legends are both by far better than any 2D platformer Nintendo has released in the last 10 years.
  • Fucking Mega Man got in.
these are actually some good points

Ozium

FACT
pulled straight from my ass but most likely true
:

If you were to show a picture of Mario, Sonic or Pac-Man to a random person on the street, 90% of them would at least know two, 70% all three..

If you were to show them a picture of Rayman most would have know idea.. 10% would guess he's either the next World Cup mascot or the next Olympics mascot.

Believe it!

edit: Ubi rep should be an Undead Beefeater from ZombiU

Nibel

Smash-Speculation-GAF is still the best I see.
KuGsj.gif

I'm just going to throw out two salient points that I think a lot of people are forgetting:

• Rayman Origins and Legends are both by far better than any 2D platformer Nintendo has released in the last 10 years.

Is this an alternate universe where Tropical Freeze was never created?

MrBadger

I dunno if this has been said, but that Mewtwo icon will either make or break this leak. We'll see his concept art sooner or later and if it doesn't match up to the one on the screen, we were all taken for a ruse cruise.

Ha ha people's
phantom
pain about snake. While it's sad to lose such a big character, (and shame no amiibo for him), he simply doesn't deserve to be in Smash. They're skipping two games that are capable of running on Wii U (and they skipped Metal gear rising), so it doesn't really benefit Nintendo to add him in I think. Maybe it can still happen eventually but still.

I think there's more deserving characters, Sora, Layton, Phoenix Wright, someone from rhythm paradise (which was rumoured), Bayonetta, not to mention the ton of first party characters Nintendo have yet to implement.

Someone from Rhythm Heaven and Layton maybe, but what makes the rest more deserving? Especially Sora, who to me, feels like Goku levels of "he should be in". I could see why you said Bayonetta, but I don't think she'd fit in well.

They're very good, but I disagree.

Qurupeke

The hell man.

Not to mention a lot of people are already clamoring for reps from games that aren't out yet (Splatoon, New Fire Emblem, XCX, Codename STEAM etc.)

There's definitely some characters they can put in there. Most of them aren't really glaring omissions though. Honestly, the biggest new character in a game that sold millions is Isabelle. The rest dwell in cult favorite status and the land of forgotten toys.

That's not my point though. The roster is already big enough and as you said there aren't any glaring omissions. They've added the most, if not all, of the relevant characters. It surpassed my expectations. And I'd feel kind of weird if I had to play a Smash game with 20 Zelda characters, 30 Pokemon, 5 Mario variations and tons of identical characters. Isabelle or Takamaru could definitely work though but for one reason or another they didn't make it into the roster and I can't see them being playable now that they're ATs. There's always the next game I guess, if Little Mac's case is something.

Also, characters from games like Splatoon, Captain Toad or STEAM are safe bet for the future games of the series. I still need to see how exactly DLC will be implemented because right now, we only have a character that was out of the game because of time limitations. But if they start adding characters from every game released after Smash for the next 1 or 2 years, the next Smash' roster will feel lacking, imho.

MrBadger

To be honest, I think I prefer New Super Mario bros U to the new Rayman games. They have much better art and music, but NSMBU's level design is more fun to me.

• [*]Rayman Origins and Legends are both by far better than any 2D platformer Nintendo has released in the last 10 years.

Ewwww. No. Just no.

The Ubi-Art Raymans are great for their stellar presentation ...but the leveldesign is seriously lacking compared to Nintendo's offerings.

The new Donkey Kongs, NSMB Wii and U, Kirby Triple Deluxe and both Wii Kirby games have far more interesting leveldesign.

NotLiquid

Smash-Speculation-GAF is still the best I see.
KuGsj.gif

Setting aside the leak generally being crazy accurate I think most of us keeps hoping it can't be proven wrong

Not because people want Rayman in Smash Bros. but because nothing gets people more excited than Smash hype

We just want to go back to the good old days

banofypie

Banned
It's nowhere near as good as people make it out to be, but it's pretty good. I don't think it's as good as Returns personally aside from the visuals and the fact it doesn't force motion controls.
I doubt it could hit the heights of Rayman Origins though. That game basically is the best 2D platformer since the SNES era.

Nintendo released Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. Which, great as Origins was, is far and away the best 2D platformer... probably ever.

Legends is a potentially sublime game forever ruined by Murphy levels.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

No big surprises there, except that I don't know why people always recognize Kirby. The character must really be iconic in terms of design, because going by commercial success and general promotion Mario, Yoshi, Link and Pikachu are still three or four notches above him. I guess it's also because Kirby gets new games much more often than those other series. Helps keep people aware of it.

I'm pleased that people still recognize Mega Man after all this time and the shit treatment he's got for the past 2 decades. And the one guy who confuses him with another character said Astro Boy, which is really a compliment. This really makes me think that Capcom has dropped the ball with all those spin-off series and half-hearted attempts at bringing Classic Mega Man back. The series could be much more popular than it is right now. So sad.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The only reason I know who Megaman is is because of Megaman 9.

You guys don't want to know how embarrassing my character knowledge would have been of these characters if that girl did this to me 10 years ago. I wouldn't have even been able to point out Zelda/Link.

Rayman Origins and Legends are both by far better than any 2D platformer Nintendo has released in the last 10 years.

Reminder that 10 years ago was 2005, so let's go down the list...

2005;
DKC3 GBA Port (lol)

2006;
Super Princess Peach (Might be worthy)
Yoshi's Island DS (lol)
Kirby: Squeak Squad (lol)
New Super Mario Bros. (Effective but still lol)

2007;
Wario: Master Of Disguise (LOL)
DK: Jungle Climber (LOL)

2008;
Wario Land: Shake It! (Artistically, maybe. Otherwise lol)
Kirby: Super Star Ultra (Might be worthy)

2009;
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (LOL)

2010;
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Might be worthy)
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Hmm...)

2011;
Kirby's Return To Dream Land (Might be worthy)

2012;
New Super Mario Bros. U (Nah)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (...)

2013;
New Super Luigi U (...)

2014;
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (This one is probaly better than the Rayman games)
Yoshi's New Island (Hmm...)
Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Might be worthy)

I've always maintained that from an outsider's perspective (ie not a forum dweller) smash's roster is bloated to all hell and back.

I think all the characters have distinctive designs and are MOSTLY unique from each other (barring your clones and, well, Ike), which I think is more important

like, most people probably don't have a clue who anyone in Street Fighter or Tekken is, but they'll still enjoy mucking around with it because the characters are distinct

getting them to remember the names/know their detailed histories is by the by, basically

What the hell @ the anger from Nintendo boys towards UbiSoft and Rayman? Still salty about Rayman exclusivity? Watch_Dogs?

This is the weirdest Wii U related thread I have ever seen.

Rayman fits right in into Smas Bros. Denying him because he is from UbiSoft makes you look pretty dumb.

Boney

Banned
I think all the characters have distinctive designs and are MOSTLY unique from each other (barring your clones and, well, Ike), which I think is more important

like, most people probably don't have a clue who anyone in Street Fighter or Tekken is, but they'll still enjoy mucking around with it because the characters are distinct

getting them to remember the names/know their detailed histories is by the by, basically
Right, i completly agree and to the end purpose it's important to have diversity.
But just like streetfighter, a small cast of 8-12 characters is not only more recognizable, but it's a lot more manageable as well, and allows to pick up the game more easily.

I had some friends over and we turned smash and all of them were pretty overwhelmed by the amount of characters, which I don't think it's surmountable in the first session of play, and only after a few times you meet you'll start warming up the gigantic roster and that I believe is a turn off for some more casual oriented people.
Also not to get into the whole smash bros isn't a real fighting game thing, but when it is played as a party game, if you feed too much information right from the get go, with characters, items, hazards or mechanics it can also be a little overwhelming, even if the spirit of the game is chaos. Street fighter is approached as a regular fighter even if people are mashing the buttons so it's easier to manage such a big cast.

Of course I personally love the giant roster and I also know the only way is up, hell I'm still pissed my girl Jill isn't there.

Top Bottom