• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends | Come join Gummb Luther King Jr.'s Social Movement | Info Inside

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
A friend and I were JUST talking about this. Nintendo needs to hire Ancel and his boys and let them just do whatever the hell they want to.

I think a very interesting new IP would come with it. I'd love to see what a lot of big name devs would do from within Nintendo.

We can dream, I guess...

Although I would be all for Nintendo taking over Ubisoft Montpellier (with an alternating contract, so the team can alternate between one "franchise" game and one "new" project) - especially as working on one platform instead of porting all over different consoles internally would free up a lot of ressources, I actually think this would be a disaster for the relationship between Ubi and Nintendo. As far as I know actively hiring personell from a business partner is not looked favourably upon. Also, if Ancel wanted to leave, he probably would have left already at one of numerous instances.

Atcha

A game that's 100% completed for one platform, likely perfectly fine to release for the original date. Game devs crunched time on in the last month and half, only to be told suddenly "oop, it's delayed now cuz we want it on the other two platforms".

It's not about "wahh they're porting it to the other platforms, i want it nao" it's about "the fucking game is done, release it".

I support the idea behind this thread at least.

Have you acted the same way when Zelda TP was delayed to be ready for the Wii launch?

ahm998

Have you acted the same way when Zelda TP was delayed to be ready for the Wii launch?

Is the game done when they delay it?

Rayman here for wii U already completed and then they reschedule it for 7 month.....!!??

GLEE-MR-SCHUE-ANGRY.gif

Jackano

It seems the new trend since Bayonetaton is "Nintendo should buy them"!
Not gonna happen, it's not like it was an independant studio, here it is a studio 100% inside Ubi.
I would love it anyway, I'm a convinced partisan of the idea that Nintendo should expand in Europe, but this will start by working with and contracting some existing studios as second-party.

plufim

Did you act the same way when Zelda TP was delayed to be ready for the Wii launch?

I see this one a lot. So many reasons it doesn't hold up.

And even if it did, what does that even mean? Are you trying to establish us as hypocrites? And even if you were, and could prove we all played TP and didn't mind the delay for Wii version (hint, that's bullshit), what would it even prove?

It is still a shitty situation, no matter what may have happened in the past.

Also, grammar.

JDSN

Banned
So it would be really easy for you to name a few examples.

And also explain why it's relevant! Because one shitty thing does not invalidate another.
I think his usual stick involves saying "Twilight Princess and...um..many many more!", not that is any relevant, the guy certainly lacks baconsammy's elocuence and common sense.

Desiato

Checking out Ubi Soft's Facebook page is really entertaining right now. At least we got something good out of this mess, right?

I mean, every post is like "Like this if you've ever pressed a button in Assassin's Creed!" or some shit and every latest comment is like "Nobody cares about this shit just release rayman motherfuckers " (actual comment).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well I mean, Iwata himself had this to say in 2011:

Iwata said:
“For us to provide software titles one after another, one idea is, ‘Isn’t it possible for Nintendo to stock some of its software titles instead of launching them as soon as the development is completed?’”

“We are taking on this sort of challenge for the Nintendo 3DS. For example, when we look at the software lineup for the year-end sales season, it is so dense that, if we added any more software, the total sales would not increase. Accordingly, we have intentionally delayed the launch of some software titles to early next year.”

Strategically launching finished games at different times is just how it goes. Just with this one it came a little too close to its release date for the change and you get devs fuelling the fire by letting people know its ready to go. But whats good enough for Nintendo is good enough for Ubisoft, so there we go.

The Hermit

I've been away because of the brazilian carnival, but the repercussion of the delay is amazing!

Good job Gummb and M. Ancel`s team. Too bad I doubt it will launch any sooner than the ports...

PS: lol, my username changed while I was away! Thanks EatChildren

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Strategically launching finished games at different times is just how it goes. Just with this one it came a little too close to its release date for the change and you get devs fuelling the fire by letting people know its ready to go. But whats good enough for Nintendo is good enough for Ubisoft, so there we go.

It's not exactly the same. Actually I can't remember (and I'm actually quite interested in a lot of Nintendo's titles) an instance where a finished game with a concrete date was delayed. I do know that there are some games that were strategically placed different than they could have been, but that doesn't mean that a finished product where the studio worked its ass off to reach a specific deadline is put on hold after completion, but rather that the studio gets notion it will get released later on, so ressources might get pulled from the almost finished project, or some minor tweaks might be added or a part of the team already starts conceptualising the next game (of course it could still mean the same as in Rayman's case, if there was an internal deadline to finish the game the team did meet and afterwards they decide to delay it, but I've yet to hear of such a case).

Had Ubisoft delayed the game from being a launch title because it wasn't finished and had they then said: "OK, we didn't get it done on time, in order to maximize the profit for a non-launch-title, wen want to have it an all platforms, so while completing the game for a later date we also work on the ports" I would have been a lot less enraged. Having played the game and having spoken to the devs I still think it's strange to port this game, because it just doesn't lend itself well to the 360 controller / PS3 controller without altering the game and taking away from the fresh ideas in the game - so I might have criticized that - because really there are only two options now if they want all games to be the same: Having sub-par PS360 versions or deleting a lot of the great ideas the team has put into the game.

So it would be really easy for you to name a few examples.

And also explain why it's relevant! Because one shitty thing does not invalidate another.

Twilight Princess, Luigi's Mansion 2, Pikmin 3, every single Pokemon game is released at a time deemed most marketable in the west, hell when you add Europe in to the equation basically every Nintendo game ever.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

I must have missed that Nintendo game that was finished and Nintendo held its release date back so it could launch on a Sony and a MS console at the same time, so that Sony and MS owners didnt feel like they were getting a late port or whatevs.

Oh, did that not happen? Then the situation is not comparable.

4Scarr

Banned
still nothing, I thought for sure today there would have been somthing on the Nintendo Direct but it looks as if it was all pre recorded.

Nintendo itself needs to press Ubisoft to release it now. Of course Wii U userbase ask for will help too, but it seems this came out from the Ubisoft's executive branch and wasn't a developer's decision.

So far, the most convincing excuse Ubisoft gave is that Wii U's current userbase is small and third-party games didn't sold well and they're expecting to increase for better sales. Still, delaying to almost the end of year is unnecessary. They can release in the mid year if they want.

I must have missed that Nintendo game that was finished and Nintendo held its release date back so it could launch on a Sony and a MS console at the same time, so that Sony and MS owners didnt feel like they were getting a late port or whatevs.

Oh, did that not happen? Then the situation is not comparable.

Did you miss the Iwata quote a few posts up where he says they intentionally delay completed games for financially strategic purposes? Same shit. It doesn't have to be a 1:1 direct comparison to be comparable.

4Scarr

Banned
anyone have email addresses for nintendo that i can add in to the mix beside the ubisoft email list? Might as well start sending to Nintendo...hmm would be nice to get reggie's email and some other nintendo pr people.

Oersted

Well, the only problem is that Ubisoft Montpillar has over 200 people on staff. Someone would lose a job. However, 2 solid teams for Europe would do wonders for Nintendo. This will never happen, though. :(

Isn´t NERD already in France?

You missed the numbers that actually matter, the ones from NPD Group. It's all well and good to be frustrated by a publishers decision but be realistic.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
You missed the numbers that actually matter, the ones from NPD Group. It's all well and good to be frustrated by a publishers decision but be realistic.

What does "realistic" mean in this context? I've openly voiced my opinion that this was over as soon as Ubisoft shut the gate, and they have. If anything, this successfully stopped Ubisoft's social media for over a week, haha.

Get ready for Monday, they may post then! XD

Top Bottom