• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends: Leaked Wii-U Trailer

zroid

Banned
This was mentioned earlier but I couldn't respond at the time. The Vita version of Origins is not substantially inferior to the other versions. The framerate hit is not significant and is very infrequent. While the multiplayer aspect is missing, the ability to play it on-the-go is perfect for this type of game. Additionally, there are collectables on most levels that are unique to the Vita version and are gathered through touch controls.

I really like the Ubisoft has distributed this game on virtually every platform.

But it is inferior, right? That's important. ;)

You guys really aren't doing a very good job of convincing me to get the PS3 version, I must say. /snooty voice

The PS3 version is the best. It's 1080p, 60fps of the best fucking platformer since SMB3. Buy it, play it, it. Remember why you're still playing these video game things. Platformer Perfection.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's kinda sad that Ubisoft's treatment of PC games isn't as good. They still have horrible DRM in Anno!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The PS3 version is the best. It's 1080p, 60fps of the best fucking platformer since SMB3. Buy it, play it, it. Remember why you're still playing these video game things. Platformer Perfection.
What about the PC and 360 versions? Aren't those 1080p/60fps?

zroid

Banned

I assume you mean 2D platformer
because better than Galaxy 2? lol no

Based on (admittedly just) the demo, I think I prefer the feel of DKCR to be honest, but it's definitely a very good game.

Anyway, on topic, I really did want this on a portable, but I'll probably just concede and get it now for PS3.

Eric C

Did the PS3 version ever get the 5.1 surround sound patched? I remember when it launched the PS3 version was only outputting stereo.

I assume you mean 2D platformer
because better than Galaxy 2? lol no

Based on (admittedly just) the demo, I think I prefer the feel of DKCR to be honest, but it's definitely a very good game.

Anyway, on topic, I really did want this on a portable, but I'll probably just concede and get it now for PS3.
DKCR and every nintendo platformer I've played feels better than Rayman. That isn't to say Rayman feels bad, its just the others feel that much better. Still, the game was pretty cool...I just found it boring as hell. Ill think about this one at the Wii-U launch, depending on what else is on the table.

gdt

Semi related, does anyone know how the PC version of Rayman 2 saves (GOG version, if that matters). I saved before entering The Fairy Glade, but does it auto save or something? Or can I only save after beating a level? That would suck. I can't even find an option to save in the menu.

DKCR and every nintendo platformer I've played feels better than Rayman. That isn't to say Rayman feels bad, its just the others feel that much better. Still, the game was pretty cool...I just found it boring as hell. Ill think about this one at the Wii-U launch, depending on what else is on the table.

Waggle to roll says "no, DKCR does not feel better". I think Rayman feels just as good as most Nintendo platformers, maybe slightly below the perfection of SMB3 but that's about it. My opinion, of course.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just saw the video.

Yeah, reading the first few posts in this thread made it sound like there was some graphical showcase or something on display. Not from what I saw. Unimpressive to all degrees. Not even impressive in the sense of it being some BS PR-quality stuff that's not what the game will look like. The Zelda demo was more impressive, and even still wasn't anything mindblowing. It caused similar hyperbolic reactions too. I wonder if E3 will be the first time we get a glimpse at actual live gameplay to see the Wii U's capabilities proper.

zroid

Banned
Waggle to roll says "no, DKCR does not feel better". I think Rayman feels just as good as most Nintendo platformers, maybe slightly below the perfection of SMB3 but that's about it. My opinion, of course.

Waggle to roll is actually one of my favourite things about the game's controls. I think the concept of doing a sustained roll by shaking the Wiimote is absolutely perfect. It needs to be played with Wiimote+Nunchuk though, sideways Wiimote is just awful.

Waggle to roll is actually one of my favourite things about the game's controls. I think the concept of doing a sustained roll by shaking the Wiimote is absolutely perfect. It needs to be played with Wiimote+Nunchuk though, sideways Wiimote is just awful.

When it comes to platformers, I'm old school. I want digital pad and buttons, nothing more. I just can't get used to it!

The weight doesn't feel nearly as good as DKCR, or any other platformer. Not that its bad, but it's just not as good. Neither is the feeling of connection or impact with platforms and whatnot. Hell, even Mario's punch combo had a better feel that the slapstick attacks in Rayman. Wasn't really talking about the waggle rolling, which never got in my way at all(but is definitely tacked on).

Brashnir

The weight doesn't feel nearly as good as DKCR, or any other platformer. Not that its bad, but it's just not as good. Neither is the feeling of connection or impact with platforms and whatnot. Hell, even Mario's punch combo had a better feel that the slapstick attacks in Rayman. Wasn't really talking about the waggle rolling, which never got in my way at all(but is definitely tacked on).

I disagree on all counts. Rayman is a great feeling platformer.

jet1911

Just saw the video.

Yeah, reading the first few posts in this thread made it sound like there was some graphical showcase or something on display. Not from what I saw. Unimpressive to all degrees. Not even impressive in the sense of it being some BS PR-quality stuff that's not what the game will look like. The Zelda demo was more impressive, and even still wasn't anything mindblowing. It caused similar hyperbolic reactions too. I wonder if E3 will be the first time we get a glimpse at actual live gameplay to see the Wii U's capabilities proper.

It's a 2D game, what were you expecting? o_O

Brashnir

I didn't say it was bad, just that it isn't as good. I think the game both feels and looks great...I just found it boring as hell.

You said it doesn't feel as good as any other platformer. How many platformers have you played? Because there's a whole lot of them, and a whole lot of them are terrible. Origins is the best of the generation so far, as far as I'm concerned.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I had no expectations. For all I know it could've been a new 3D Rayman. But the early reactions in this thread are definite head-scratchers from what was in the video. I don't see any of the WOW or OMG that they were seeing. I guess it's all just hype from the origins lovers.

I didn't say it was bad, just that it isn't as good. I think the game both feels and looks great...I just found it boring as hell. It's like choosing the worst of the best.

Rayman can definitely start to drag on when playing normally, especially since many of the levels are very long (I prefer shorter levels like in DKCR tbh). But time trials in Rayman make the game amazing. The levels are really designed for speedrunning.

Still I think Rayman Origins is a fantastic game. I'd definitely put it as 2nd or 3rd best 2D platformer this gen, behind DKCR and possibly Super Meat Boy. I go back and forth on that one.

Pretty pumped for this overall. The fact that Origins is even getting a sequel is mindblowing.

You said it doesn't feel as good as any other platformer. How many platformers have you played? Because there's a whole lot of them, and a whole lot of them are terrible. Origins is the best of the generation so far, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, I meant Nintendo platformers. Not sure if that will change your stance on it or not though. I find most platformers to feel absolutely terrible, since they rely HEAVILY on control, weight, impact, feedback, animation, etc.

Rayman can definitely start to drag on when playing normally, especially since many of the levels are very long (I prefer shorter levels like in DKCR tbh). But time trials in Rayman make the game amazing. The levels are really designed for speedrunning.

Still I think Rayman Origins is a fantastic game. I'd definitely put it as 2nd or 3rd best 2D platformer this gen, behind DKCR and possibly Super Meat Boy. I go back and forth on that one.

Pretty pumped for this overall. The fact that Origins is even getting a sequel is mindblowing.

Yeah, that caught me by surprise as well. Really stoked that some love is being given back to the scene, and with quality games that deserve it.

Bgamer90

Banned
I had no expectations. For all I know it could've been a new 3D Rayman. But the early reactions in this thread are definite head-scratchers from what was in the video. I don't see any of the WOW or OMG that they were seeing. I guess it's all just hype from the origins lovers.

Have you played Rayman Origins?

Just saw the video.

get out

BHZ Mayor

It could be the excitement from the fact that Origins is getting a sequel despite the sales numbers.

Alexios

Yeah, I have no idea what some people want. It's a high resolution smooth 2D platform game, what more could they possibly do regardless of the power of the system (nevermind it's multi platform)? Like what, if it was a PC exclusive, what then, Ubi's artists would suddenly become more skilled (or rather, change their art to suit other people's tastes more, it's not like they show a lack of skill), or change the game design in order to show a billion sprites at once, or what exactly? I don't get it.

So this game is on my top list for Wii U at this stage. Does that say much about the Wii U's quality of announced titles or in fact the quality of the original Rayman Origins game? (also all the games I'm hyped for so far on the Wii U are Ubisoft games. Wii U = Wii Ubisoft?)
It's more likely the fact that no games are announced for the thing. If after E3 you still feel the same way then Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing.

Rafaelcsa

So, guys, off-topic question:

Rayman: Origins -> Wii or PS3?

Keep in mind I love playing games with sideways Wiimote. Especially platformers. DKCR I played to completion like that. And all other Wii platformers that allowed me to do so. Does Rayman support sideways Wiimote?

And I'm not a fan of digital pad on the PS3 controller. It's uncomfortable and hurts my thumb. Is the graphical difference big enough for me to warrant playing it on PS3? If the Wii is comparable visually (no need for being 100% perfect; I'm no graphics whore), I'd much rather take the superior control.

Does anyone have experience with both versions?

Alexios

It plays fine with sideways Wiimote. I haven't bothered to hook up the Classic Controller.

If you don't care for the HD part then you could get the Wii version.

But you probably should care. That's all the graphical difference there is afaik, 480p vs 1080p.

Brashnir

Keep in mind I love playing games with sideways Wiimote. Especially platformers. DKCR I played to completion like that. And all other Wii platformers that allowed me to do so. Does Rayman support sideways Wiimote?

And I'm not a fan of digital pad on the PS3 controller. It's uncomfortable and hurts my thumb. Is the graphical difference big enough for me to warrant playing it on PS3? If the Wii is comparable visually (no need for being 100% perfect; I'm no graphics whore), I'd much rather take the superior control.

The controls are garbage on a sideways wiimote (have to use the very awkward B button to sprint). It does work with Nunchuck or classic controller, so you have those as options.

However, it's also one of the few 1080p/60 games on 360 and PS3, which is something to keep in mind.

Shiggy

Using the Wii Remote like that does work, I'd much rather recommend the SNES Classic Controller though. The dpad is "softer".
The Wii version does look nice and all, but isn't HD and I've noticed a few graphical errors (objects suddenly appeared etc.).

I only played the demo, but it played amazing with the USB Saturn pad, Neo Geo USB, and MadCatz Fightpad. If you have any of those then I'd definitely go with the PS3 version (and if not get one, they are all really good for 2D stuff).

Ramune

I only played the demo, but it played amazing with the USB Saturn pad, Neo Geo USB, and MadCatz Fightpad. If you have any of those then I'd definitely go with the PS3 version (and if not get one, they are all really good for 2D stuff).

This ^
PS3 at least gives you options on controllers. Although my NeoGeo USB pad's D-stick is busted for some reason, so I can't exactly recommend that one, but I can testify the Saturn USB pad is excellent. Tight controls with that one!

This ^
PS3 at least gives you options on controllers. Although my NeoGeo USB pad's D-stick is busted for some reason, so I can't exactly recommend that one, but I can testify the Saturn USB pad is excellent. Tight controls with that one!

You know anywhere that sells those Neo Geo USB's? I was just lucky enough to pick up 2 brand new Saturn USB controllers (original SLS models too). But I've been trying to find a new Neo Geo pad...

But anyway, Rayman feels great, I'd obviously put DKCR (minus waggle) and Meat Boy above it, and obvious older Mario's. But Origins feels and responds among the best in the genre. I'd argue it's the best feeling platformer ever that drives a lot of the experience through visuals, ala Limbo/Braid/Fez, Origins was a great platformer that just happened to be gorgeous looking.

StevieP

Banned
Wait I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I must have missed all these shenanigans can someone break it down for me?

Somebody in the Wii U thread posted a "screencap" of a Nintendo site that listed the "Wii Entertainment System" (WES) and then, according to that same poster, removed it shortly thereafter. He claimed it wasn't a shop and showed screencaps of his PC to prove that. It turns out he modified the source of the website on his own machine to show the WES without any photoshopping and was doing it for shits and giggles to see the reaction he could generate. He's perma'd.

Gravijah

Somebody in the Wii U thread posted a "screencap" of a Nintendo site that listed the "Wii Entertainment System" (WES) and then, according to that same poster, removed it shortly thereafter. He claimed it wasn't a shop and showed screencaps of his PC to prove that. It turns out he modified the source of the website on his own machine to show the WES without any photoshopping and was doing it for shits and giggles to see the reaction he could generate. He's perma'd.

let's not forget his posting history.

Ahh thanks man.

NEO0MJ

That was hilarious. At first Duckroll banned him 'till E3 but then Evilore came and said that it was too light a sentence and dropped the permaban hammer.

Top Bottom