• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE7 Not a Hero Gameplay Trailer

BadWolf

Was this originally intended to be the final piece of paid content in the Season Pass or is that something else? The Steam Store page mentions all content will be released by the end of December and it's more than a little suspicious that this is releasing on the 12th.

This is free and was always supposed to be free.

The Zoe DLC is paid.

Neff

You definitely prep hard for DLC that no one will ever pay a penny for that you delayed for more than six months and that most of the game's buyers won't even download.

Well they delayed it because when it was finished it wasn't up to the main game's high standards that Capcom has been congratulating itself on in their interviews. They've promised something good and I don't see any reason to disbelieve them. If they were just cloning a string of mine encounters we'd have had the DLC months ago.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time making myself care if we ever see other old RE characters again. If they're all going to be re-designed with new voice actors like Chris, they're all pretty much new characters anyway. So what's the point?

Yeah, still not happy with the re-design. I understand why it happened, but not happy with it.

Ugh, that was sooo bad. Like, I don't think I can even stand to play that combat for more than 10 minutes. Why the hell is he so slow? By far the worst part of this gameplay was Chris being slow as fuck.

Also, his guns lack any real kick, while doing huge amount of damage (blowing body parts away).

As someone who loves action RE, I didn't like this even one bit.

Buckle

Hopefully this is the last we'll see of the molded.

Love RE7 but much prefer zombies and the varied BOWs to walking black gunk with fangs.

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say that looks really crappy.
A mediocre looking 1st person shooter is not what a want out of re7.

Re7s strong bits was the survival horror. Not the gunplay.

Yup, this. I don't fault them for doing it and it's nice that it's free, but the gunplay and molded were the two weakest parts of the game. And that was highlighted during the mine scene where they were the focus.

rtcn63

7's gunplay was an improvement over RE6's. The shots had more weight, and the ability to hotkey weapons to the d-pad was a very welcome return. Blowing heads off with the shotgun was not un-satisfying.

7's gunplay was an improvement over RE6's.
11qt1ZA.gif

Looks about what I expected, which is fine. I'm excited to dig in.

The only part of the trailer that rubbed me the wrong way is that fact that whenever the character "sprints" he's basically going casual walking speed. It looks ridiculous. He's waving his arms all over but he's barely going anywhere. It's like he's running in a pool.

The Last of Us

Neo Member
Just when I thought Capcom had done right by it's fans and went back to its survival horror roots like the good ol days, they go and do some dumb shit like this. They just couldn't leave Chris out of this one. I'm sorry but light machine guns, fancy hud suits, and one shot kill haymakers feel so out of place in RE7. Am I the crazy one here? I would have been more happy to see Marvin from RE2 or Forrest make a comeback. I'm so tired of Chris, to the point that I sighed the second I saw it was him.
Don't get me wrong. All of you roid loving boulder punching fans out there rejoice. I'm glad at least a character you enjoyed in the past will bring you joy again via free dlc this year. But for me, it's a super hard pass. I used to love this franchise more than most, but after what they did to tree trunk arms Chris in 5 I gave up. Good luck RE fans! Maybe in RE8 Chris won't skip leg day and Sprint faster than he does in the vid.
Ok, I'm done. Hope you who give it a chance enjoy it.

For all of the gameplay "features" of RE6, the guns all feel like pea shooters. It's like an airgun simulator. And yeah the gun kills so great in GIFs. But they feel like shit in context.
Guns in RE7 possibly had one of the worst gunplays that I've ever experienced in an action game. RE7 is a very very good game, but its gunplay and action parts did not contribute to that.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Guns in RE7 possibly had one of the worst gunplays that I've ever experienced in an action game. RE7 is a very very good game, but gunplay and action are not among the things that contribute to that.

It was adequate and did it's job. RE4 and RE5 had weapons that felt weighty and punchy. So does RE7. RE6 doesn't.

rtcn63

If you watch Gamespot's Resident Kinevil, Mike actually points how unsatisfying the shooting in RE6 is compared to RE5 in the first episode. (Although one can argue RE5 overdoes it a bit) Even Uncharted and Tomb Raider feel better.

It's not just an opinion of the few. And if it means anything, I think the shooting in Doom and Wolfenstein is similarly lackluster. With the audio design playing a major part- the guns sound pathetic.

LowSignal

So I imagine at some point Chris saves someone and after being thanked says “ I’m no hero” or something along those lines.

rtcn63

Okay, we just have to agree to disagree then.

Trust me, I was disappointed to have dual-wielding shotguns shoot and sound the way they did. Not game-chucking terrible mind you, but not great.

Also I hated the weapon wheel when using a gamepad. It was a lot more cumbersome that just having fewer weapons hotkey-able to the d-pad.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
What was the reason?

Fairly standard RE fare

The US government repurposed Umbrella's assets into a new Umbrella with a blue logo to signify their departure from creating bioweapons, and instead fighting against them/containing outbreaks. They ask the BSAA to send Chris to lead one of their ground teams, to prove that they are really not evil and shit.

Ein Bear

This looks pretty fun, surprisingly different from the core game for a free add-on. Looking forward to a more actioney take on RE7.

Damn though, Resident Evil's complete lack of any sort of character consistency has always been one of the suckiest things about the series. If it doesn't look like Chris Redfield and doesn't sound like Chris Redfield, then why do they expect me to be excited to play as Chris Redfield?

Top Bottom