• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready @ Dawn: "Graphic fidelity of The Order 1886 definitely exceeds the trailer"

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Your interchange of Victorian London and Modern London as the one and the same is troubling. We have advanced in the last 200 years, you know.

Of course we have. I don't see why that has a bearing on what I'm saying, at all, though?

I'm saying that for any period in London's history, the NY style overhead railways and skyscrapers are stylistically wonky. It would be a bit like if I showed you my design for 1920s New York and it was a low-lying city with no gridded streets.

Maybe I'm just more sensitive to this stuff than most? I dunno.

How is the sub 1080p bs? If you have a 1080p tv, there will be 1:1 pixel mapping. There is no stretching of pixels to fit your tv resolution.
Wait is it 1080p or not? black bars are not pixels for me as far as I'm concerned. It's like watching a 480p video with black bars all around it. It's 1:1 pixel mapping but not 1080p.

jaded_up_

Banned
Of course we have. I don't see why that has a bearing on what I'm saying, at all, though?

You keep stating that you don't get the vibe of London from the pictures. Which London would that be, then? Victorian London that the game is set in or Modern London? You only stated London in your points and it comes across that the two are the same for you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
While it looks nice and pretty, its the physics simulation in materials that impresses most. Oh, and the lighting. Oh, and the fire.
This is what I like to hear. Fidelity is only one part of what I think next gen should be, world simulation is just as if not more important. Can't wait to see the fire since that was the one underwhelming effect in the trailer.

jaded_up_

Banned
Wait is it 1080p or not? black bars are not pixels for me as far as I'm concerned. It's like watching a 480p video with black bars all around it. It's 1:1 pixel mapping but not 1080p.

Do you know how small the video screen would be and how big the black bars would have to be to have 1:1 pixel mapping with a 480p video?

Anyway, the resolution is 1920 x 800.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You keep stating that you don't get the vibe of London from the pictures. Which London would that be, then? Victorian London that the game is set in or Modern London? You only stated London in your points and it comes across that the two are the same for you.

Oh, I clarified somewhat in my previous post.

Cautiously optimistic. This and Quantum Break are in the same boat for me, standard cover shooters with a nice premise. Interested to see if either comes out and is a great game.

Even waiting until late Feb. is kind of absurd. Game was revealed at E3 and shown behind close doors with the press bragging about it. We get a few pics and info from Gameinformer with them bragging about seeing footage and claiming it's the most next-gen thing ever. We were supposedly going to get footage at VGX but somehow footage wasn't ready.... Now they are cock teasing about the game looking better than the reveal and the only glimmer of hope we have of seeing the first gameplay footage is late Feb at Destination Playstation.

That will have been 8 and a half months since it's reveal. Really sick of these trends. Stop announcing games you have no intention of showing to the public so damn early.
We will definitely get something by March. The last couple of games they did this with (e.g. Beyond) all got gameplay showings by March of the next year after the initial E3 announcement. Going by this strategy the game will be playable next E3 and comes out September/October.

Still nothing on frame rate. If they're cutting part of the screen with black bars theeast you can do is have 60 fps. This pissed me off so much in Dragons Dogma that they cut the picture and had poor frame rate.
Won't be 60 fps come on.

I'm saying that for any period in London's history, the NY style overhead railways and skyscrapers are stylistically wonky. It would be a bit like if I showed you my design for 1920s New York and it was a low-lying city with no gridded streets.

There are Georgian townhouses in the foreground, and towers in the back. You can see the top of the tower in the shot, it's about 50 floors short of a skyscraper.

Were there Georgian Townhouses in late 19th century New York?

Snaku

Banned
rj5au8kl3upx.gif

When is the best time for them to debut the footage? GDC? That's three months away. An IGN exclusive? Holding their own event to have the press have hands-on?
None of these seem viable. They should have shown it at the VGX.

viveks86

You are :)

I think many of us (including myself) have had slightly different versions of the exact same debate with you at different points in time. It's good to see some fresh perspective introduced in each new iteration, but I don't think we are ever going to agree. lol

CthulhuPL

I wonder how many people (casuals) won't notice the black bars. When I told my friend that there are black bars in Beyond, he was suprised (and he was halfway through the game).

viveks86

This is what I like to hear. Fidelity is only one part of what I think next gen should be, world simulation is just as if not more important. Can't wait to see the fire since that was the one underwhelming effect in the trailer.

It was. I was blown away by every second of that video until the floor lit up and took me back by a decade. Hope the fire gets some volumetric love.

Yeah. The fire in Uncharted 3 and Beyond looked so nuts for PS3 it really spoiled me. Only Deep Down tech demo impressed me so far with fire, while Dark Sorcerer looked good. While internal engines are great, they should be sharing tech more...

When is the best time for them to debut the footage? GDC? That's three months away. An IGN exclusive? Holding their own event to have the press have hands-on?
None of these seem viable. They should have shown it at the VGX.
Why not? I would say they probably have a new trailer up in February and invite the press over to their studio in March for a gameplay blow-out. Playable demo at E3.

I wonder how many people (casuals) won't notice the black bars. When I told my friend that there are black bars in Beyond, he was suprised (and he was halfway through the game).
Most won't notice them at all. Some will and go "huh?" and then forget about them after 30 minutes. A vocal minority will probably hate them.

Superman

Still my most anticipated PS4 title... It looks like it is oozing atmosphere. I hope it has local & online coop though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
None of that seems to be remotely the case though, from everything we've seen, heard and read thus far. Quite the contrary in-fact. The lore, characters, weapons, setting etc, everything looks super enticing and well executed. Even their damn names and outfits for heaven's sake. And this…

The_Order_1886_Concept_Art_01.jpg

1378194_753076391385025_1226198963_n.jpg

the_order_b.jpg

104549_610-cropped_thumb.jpg

As a semi-Londoner myself (home away from home), this just calls out to me.

This concept art is some of the best I've ever seen. It just oozes atmosphere and personality. If those types of scenes are accurately recreated in game this will definitely be something special.

Knoxcore

It seems like it was made for 4 player co-op. If it doesn't I'll be extremely disappointed since Sony 1st party games are sorely lacking in that area in general.

110% agree!!

Sony needs a great coop game. The Order seems practically made for coop.

It's been so frustrating to see game after game from Sony's first party studios treat coop like an add-on feature.

110% agree!!

Sony needs a great coop game. The Order seems practically made for coop.

It's been so frustrating to see game after game from Sony's first party studios treat coop like an add-on feature.

It's great for some people as it shows they're committed to a genuine single player experience.

Top Bottom