• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebellion still in the dark on Nintendo NX: "I know no more about NX than you do."

You are acting as if Nintendo has got closer friends around than Rebellion.

They have in japan, the place where close to nothing ever leaks.

I literally can't think of a single big leak that came out of the japanese devisions of Capcom, SEGA, Square Enix, Koei and Bamco (more than 15k employees combined)

Those things are all symptoms of NCL failing to prioritize third-party concerns, though.
Yeah well, the 3rd parties that could answer all these concerns, especially about middleware and engines are not called Rebellion, but EA, Epic, Ubi, etc.

And if Nintendo has to decide to first share resources with Activision to get Call of Duty back, or with Rebellion to get Sniper Elite back, then i think this is a no-brainer.

As of now, i believe there is a finite amount of kits/tools/whatever of NX available, which has to be distributed to the 3rds the most effective way. And that is undeniably the way to the big publishers and devs.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Somehow I don't think a dev who's made only one game on Nintendo hardware this gen (SE2 on Wii U without online) is high on Nintendo's priority list.

Ok, I understood it when it was about indie developers, but in this case it is about a quite big developer who had developed for Wii U. Even if just one game, it's not that Wii U got so many 3rd party games and most of the developers didn't even got the chance to do 2 games because of the poor sales.

Maybe you buy just Nintendo games and that's fine, but this elitist attitude will hurt Nintendo not anybody else in the end.

Are they currently working on anything at the moment? I'm honestly not too familiar with the company. It could very well be a case where they're not working on anything, so Nintendo figured they could take their time. Honestly, I'm sure that there's a lot more thought about who and who doesn't get their hands on a dev kit. While a couple of game developers have come out and said they haven't received dev kits, there are many many more that have been mute on the subject.

While it might be frustrating for them, I think developers should use a bit of discretion when talking about things like this.

jblank83

This whole scenario feels like an attempt to state that the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence, when there are obvious and very potent legal checks that prevent the presence of evidence.

Well said.

Ultimately, the only end to this discussion is the reveal of the hardware and its software support. Until then it will be a recycling of every other discussion regarding Nintendo: i.e. Nintendoom, out of touch Nintendo, I want Mario on Playstation, etc.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
yeah it reminds me of 2012 when there was a bunch of mystery surrounding the wii u going into e3

...But Wii U was already announced back at E3 2011. And I mean actually showed off: controller, console's shape, tech demos, actual announcements, the so-laughed-at "unprecedented partnership" with EA. Let's not even remember the huge amount of leaks that reached the spotlight well before the PR announcement back in April 2011.

NX's "announcement" is not comparable at all. There isn't even a PR yet like 3DS and Wii U before their official unveiling. Trying to say that Wii U's E3 2012 re-unveiling and NX's unveiling are the same is a straight out fabrication.

RK128

Considering the NX isn't likely to be getting a lot of western third party support, them shutting western developers out from knowing about the platform isn't shocking in the slightest.

Hopeful we hear something about the system in the future (before E3 I hope) but if it doesn't get third party support ala GC and Wii, will only get the handheld version (or handheld console) whenever it launches.

diaspora

Considering the NX isn't likely to be getting a lot of western third party support, them shutting western developers out from knowing about the platform isn't shocking in the slightest.

Hopeful we hear something about the system in the future (before E3 I hope) but if it doesn't get third party support ala GC and Wii, will only get the handheld version (or handheld console) whenever it launches.
We know they're not talking to Rebellion, but given the nature of NDAs, I don't know if it makes sense to say they're shutting out middleware developers and publishers in the West.

Huh, and i thought the reasons were underpowered hardware, exotic and more difficult to work with tools and hardware, missing support from widely used game engines, barebones online infrastructure and being trapped in a circle of death about not having enough hardware sales in order to get more games in order to get more hardware sales. :)

And yet the Wii has gotten tons more support because of how crazy it sold. Then you have a more powerful system but games performing worse, missing content and no Eshop release with no DLC support. And then 3rd party quickly abandon the system because of poor sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Have you considered that they paid for that, but weren't willing to do the same for NX?

If Rebellion's condition for development is getting free loaner kits to lower their risk profile, they should accommodate.

That's part of what it takes to win developer support, and it's a pretty low bar to hit in terms of things developers demand.

Sure, but as I noted, these companies pick and choose who gets pre-release/pre-public kits. So... this doesn't actually say anything to my point other than Rebellion is viewed differently in such a scenario.
But why should they be? Why are they seen as worthwhile by Sony and Microsoft, and not by Nintendo, and what does that say about the different between the companies?

While this is true, going around and courting developers very early would presumably result in them actually making a system to their needs unless they were just going to ignore all their feedback. :p
Like mentioned in my former post, Rebellion sure aren't the ones with the most important feedback. Neither are the Ori devs.

Thing is, you probably can speculate about Nintendo's way of approaching rather easy, it's the big japanese 3rds first, then the western 3rds and pubs and then the "rest".

I also expect the situation to get better for smaller studios once the system is formally announced around end of April / early May.

CHC

So at this point it's kind of implied that the NX will have no meaningful third party support right out of the gate, right? It's basically a rehash of the Wii U software strategy - Nintendo making games for Nintendo consoles.

I don't see how anyone can hope to develop much of anything for the NX if they don't even know, conceptually, what it is.

diaspora

Like mentioned in my former post, Rebellion sure aren't the ones with the most important feedback. Neither are the Ori devs.

Thing is, you probably can speculate about Nintendo's way of approaching rather easy, it's the big japanese 3rds first, then the western 3rds and pubs and then the "rest".

I also expect the situation to get better for smaller studios once the system is formally announced around end of April / early May.
Ori is built on Unity right? In that case at least, they'd be better served talking to Unity instead no?

I think it's fair to say that Nintendo needs to take the concerns of Western middleware developers and big publishers into account. If you do develop the platform with DICE, Massive, Epic, etc in mind, does it matter if they talk to Rebellion? If the platform is conducive for Frostbite, UE4, and Snowdrop development, would other developers have issues with it?

I would presume that they've designed NX hardware more with third-party middleware in mind than was the case with previous hardware, but that's not a high bar to clear and still doesn't address the audience issue - even if the console can run PS4/XB1 multiplats without breaking a sweat (which of course remains to be seen), what exactly is Nintendo doing to cultivate an audience for those titles on NX? Are they moneyhatting exclusive content? Are they investing heavily in first-party projects targeting the 17-35 Western male demographic coveted by all the AAA third parties?

I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that the answer to those last two questions is almost certainly "no."

Trup1aya

Yeah well, the 3rd parties that could answer all these concerns, especially about middleware and engines are not called Rebellion, but EA, Epic, Ubi, etc.

And if Nintendo has to decide to first share resources with Activision to get Call of Duty back, or with Rebellion to get Sniper Elite back, then i think this is a no-brainer.

As of now, i believe there is a finite amount of kits/tools/whatever of NX available, which has to be distributed to the 3rds the most effective way. And that is undeniably the way to the big publishers and devs.

I can get sharing resources with big 3rds first, but shouldn't they be feeding as much info to as many 3rds as possible? Even if they can't supply everyone with dev kits, you'd think they'd want everyone to start planning and staging games.

diaspora

I would presume that they've designed NX hardware more with third-party middleware in mind than was the case with previous hardware, but that's not a high bar to clear and still doesn't address the audience issue - even if the console can run PS4/XB1 multiplats without breaking a sweat (which of course remains to be seen), what exactly is Nintendo doing to cultivate an audience for those titles on NX? Are they moneyhatting exclusive content? Are they investing heavily in first-party projects targeting the 17-35 Western male demographic coveted by all the AAA third parties?

I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that the answer to those last two questions is almost certainly "no."
This was the purpose of their conversations with EA no?

Vena

But why should they be? Why are they seen as worthwhile by Sony and Microsoft, and not by Nintendo, and what does that say about the different between the companies?

Its says a lot for obvious reasons, but as I noted I don't actually disagree with the notion here. I disagree with the obvious fallacy that has formed.

Anth0ny

...But Wii U was already announced back at E3 2011. And I mean actually showed off: controller, console's shape, tech demos, actual announcements, the so-laughed-at "unprecedented partnership" with EA. Let's not even remember the huge amount of leaks that reached the spotlight well before the PR announcement back in April 2011.

NX's "announcement" is not comparable at all. There isn't even a PR yet like 3DS and Wii U before their official unveiling. Trying to say that Wii U's E3 2012 re-unveiling and NX's unveiling are the same is a straight out fabrication.

my point was "mystery" surrounding a big unveil doesn't necessarily mean there's this big awesome surprise waiting for us. sometimes, no one is talking... because there's nothing to talk about.

everything was real fucking quiet between e3 2011 and 2012. we filled like 5 threads speculating about wii u during that time. surely they have something HUGE to show at e3. surely they got SECRETS to reveal and MEGATONS to drop! why else would they be so quiet???

and then e3 2012 came around and it was the shits and there was garbage third party support. and the wii u failed.

Ogodei

Small-potato western dev. Nintendo clearly isn't trying to get slotted in as part of the "no question there's a port" 4-One ecosystem. They'll get the ports, but only of the games that are either endemic on Nintendo systems (family fare and certain J-games), or games that Nintendo specifically targets, which will probably just be the western third party games that make or break console purchase decisions: Madden, Fifa, CoD, and now Minecraft.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them push to get GTA VI ported (or, less likely, a push for V: Armored Edition or something), since that's also important.

Admittedly I'm not a GAF sales expert, but doesn't third party support play a key role in the success of a console? I'm pretty sure the idea that "exclusives don't sell consoles" tends to turn up pretty frequently in the NPD threads.

Exclusives definitely sell consoles.

Games are just so expensive to make these days that the era of 3rd party exclusives is pretty much done.

Xenoblade

Yes, but that's still rather selfish "I can't afford X, so company Y needs to fail so I can then afford X"

Gaming is a luxury product, not something we need, so it's not like you NEED to play Mario

Oh yes I'm well aware it's selfish. I admit to this freely without hesitation. But let's not get carried away. I don't want the company to fail. I want the console to fail. Also, at no point did I ever say I need to play Mario as if it's a necessity for the preservation of life.

But I certainly would like play the next Mario game.

diaspora

Exclusives definitely sell consoles.

Games are just so expensive to make these days that the era of 3rd party exclusives is pretty much done.
Exclusives and multi-platform games sell systems. Exclusives are the tip of the spear so to speak, multi-platform games are necessary for ongoing sales and support.

Sterok

Weird that the system made solely of exclusives didn't sell then

3DS sold fairly well. Not as well as its predecessor, but still decent overall.

For every developer that says they know nothing there are dozens of developers that have not said a peep about NX. Not that I expect much western support anyway, but we do need something a little more concrete than a few independent developers who were unlikely to be there at the start.

Xenoblade

Weird that the system made solely of exclusives didn't sell then

Exclusives certainly sell consoles. How many consoles are sold as a result of exclusives is a separate issue for another time, but there's no doubt that they do sell systems. To believe otherwise is absurdity. However, as you've pointed out, exclusives aren't the only things that sell consoles.

I can get sharing resources with big 3rds first, but shouldn't they be feeding as much info to as many 3rds as possible? Even if they can't supply everyone with dev kits, you'd think they'd want everyone to start planning and staging games.
Telling everyone and their cat about the system is basically asking for leaks. Given how Nintendo seemingly ramped up anything legal NDA related big time, it's excactly what they want to prevent.

And to be honest, catering to the big pubs and devs gives them a rather good saturation.

But i have to agree, they need to get their stuff out as much as possible. Therefore it's vital for Nintendo to get the system officially announced already. E³ is for blowing out the details and games, the basic details should be out before that.

hemo memo

Gold Member
We can only hope for a Ubi developer to leak something. because you know, if Ubi is not supporting the the thing then...good luck.

diaspora

I just hope they don't release another console focused entirely around Japanese design sensibilities.
Japanese design sensibilities are shifting over to middleware like UE4 no? It'd be insane not to have their hardware and software platform geared towards Western development.

Davey Cakes

Nintendo doesn't give a shit about what sells PS4s, the Wii and DS were juggernauts that sold almost entirely on the back of Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Nintendogs etc. That is what Nintendo wants, a platform that can succeed based on Nintendo software alone, hence they have unified handheld and home console environments to try and double the output from their internal studios. They won't need to make 2 distinct Mario Karts, Animal Crossings, Smash Bros, 3D Marios, NSMB games, etc. They can just make one that plays on both handheld and home NX, and then make something new instead of going straight to work on another version.

Props, honestly. I love your attitude.

Nintendo would benefit greatly just from that increase in efficiency.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They have in japan, the place where close to nothing ever leaks.

I literally can't think of a single big leak that came out of the japanese devisions of Capcom, SEGA, Square Enix, Koei and Bamco (more than 15k employees combined)

They probably made more games for last gen consoles than Wii U in the last couple of years.

Top Bottom