• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me a gaming PC desk

b0bbyJ03

I'm currently house shopping. I live in a small apartment at the moment and have my PC connected to my TV. One of the things that I look forward to the most is having an office for my PC since I do play KB/M games all the time but I have to make due with the couch. Right now I get shoulder, wrist, and forearm pain after long session so the most important thing for me is ergonomics. Is there a desk that anyone can recommend that will help out with this. Thanks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IKEA office section has a ton of variety for colour, width, depth, leg type, accessories like drawers.

Any special requirements you have? Eg needing to fit in an alcove of specific size?

b0bbyJ03

IKEA office section has a ton of variety for colour, width, depth, leg type, accessories like drawers.

Any special requirements you have? Eg needing to fit in an alcove of specific size?

Ergonomics will be the main concern. just want to make sure that positioning of the kb/m and monitor will be suitable for long sessions. don't really care about the rest.

Can't go wrong with using one of those white tables used for things like parties:

Y8qqWlC.png

rybrad

I don't know what your budget is but I have an adjustable standing desk which is one of the best home office decisions I made. It really helps being able to stand up for a couple hours during long gaming sessions so you don't feel super fucked up after sitting in a weird position for hours on end. The other nice thing about an adjustable desk is between that and your chair you should be able to get a sitting height that is pretty much perfect for you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ergonomics will be the main concern. just want to make sure that positioning of the kb/m and monitor will be suitable for long sessions. don't really care about the rest.

You can do that with your chair if you get one with good adjustability - most desks are a standard height I think. Check about office ergonomics which will tell you how to dial that stuff in.

My recommendation is a flat simple desk. Do not buy one with a keyboard tray or a raised monitor stand. Use you chair and monitor adjustmen's to get the right positioning. IKEA has a good selection of sizes to choose from. As for chair, I love my Markus chair.

Don't buy any of the dedicated computer desk crap like this

iu

or this:

iu

Get normal office desk as big as possible with adjustable height and you also need chair with elbow support

b0bbyJ03

You can do that with your chair if you get one with good adjustability - most desks are a standard height I think. Check about office ergonomics which will tell you how to dial that stuff in.

Thanks. Don't know much about it but i figured that the chair might be just as important or more. I'll look into this.

IMO, get a good chair first. It makes a world of difference. I'm using one of the dxracer series and I love it. If you go that route, be sure to find one of their sizing guides -- they have different models based on size/height.

impact

Banned
Can't go wrong with using one of those white tables used for things like parties:

lmao I can't imagine doing a fast mouse swipe on this thing

I have the IKEA Galant corner desk that looks like this but white

a9d4_1.jpg

and it's incredible. need a big sturdy desk like this for PC gaming imo

QaaQer

Desks aren't that important in terms of ergonomics, depending on height.. Chairs, monitor stands, keyboard trays, etc are more important. I've had good luck with 3m stuff and Aeron chair before I started using a standing desk and sometimes a Keen standing "chair". IIRC, Ikea had a decent standing desk when I was looking for mine.

Exuro

Look for a height adjustable table. Most companies that make consumer desks(in stores at least) seem to think people want frills like dinky keyboard trays(so then you can have your keyboard barely fit on a different level from your mouse) and random on desk shelves(so you barely don't have enough space for a second monitor plus speakers) when most of the time they're terrible. Then find a good chair with adjustable arms and then your ergonomics should be improved drastically.

Mashing

I had a Sauder wooden desk at my last house ( alas I was not able to move it to my new house) and I loved it. It was expensive though at least $500 at the time.

Dylan

Best desk I've ever owned was this IKEA model (The Jerker):

jerkeroriginal.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic but it's super spacious and the front is round-cut so you can comfortably scooch in and put your elbows on the desk itself with your monitor pushed towards the back.

There's also a monitor-swivel stand that you can attach on either side. I used to have a giant CRT on that thing and it worked great.

drotahorror

Best desk I've ever owned was this IKEA model (The Jerker):

jerkeroriginal.jpg

Looks like those aren't made anymore.

Does anyone know of another computer desk that has a shelf up top like that? I'm using a really old desk because it's hard to find ones with a shelf up top above the monitor. I use mine to hold a giant 30" center speaker.

It could also work for the following potential threads;

'Recommend Me Some Socks'
'What Soda Bottles Make The Best Piss Jugs?'
'So Let's Talk About Dad-Bods, GAF'

I use this. It glows in the dark, so it kinda has that gamer feeling. The lack of obvious gaming branding (racing stripes, "extreme" verbage of any kind, plastic decorative molding) is kind of a bummer, but the no-nonsense design is welcome. I like to think of it as the piss jug Ikea would make if they made them.

If you have the cash, spend a mint on a steelcase or other ergonomic chair

Don't waste your money on a gamer chair or lesser ergo chair

I spent 500 USD on a office master which still didn't match the comfort of my steelcase

I use this desk for my computer and TV/game systems. Can be a great setup.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FB5LE8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've had this desk.

My only word of warning is that the glass tops are not completely secured. There are rubber feet on the stand which hold them in place. Generally it's fine but if you have a swivel chair and you're anything like me, when you turn the chair to get up you'll fairly frequent knock it into the desk which slides the glass back. I was very worried the glass would have fallen off so I moved it into the corner of a wall. I would never have an edge not against a wall and be able to fall off like shown in that picture potentially.

Jayne

Moved into a fairly small room and needed a new a few months ago. Bought one of these on sale.
it's not exactly a small desk, but it's not too large either, and it can fold up for storage/movement.
Also, it pretty much unfolds and is ready to go out of the box. So that's super convenient. It's a bit more expensive on Amazon now than when I bought tit but it's a pretty good desk. (EDIT: Actually it's a few bucks cheaper now, seeing as you can get it via Prime for $91 from another seller)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MWUQOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Krogan

I'm using IKEA's Fredde. The side shelves are movable, I have both on the right side, one inside, one outside.

Great looking desk, shame the shipping is estimated at $350. Now my dilemma is whether to settle for the Atlantic Gaming Desk I purchased yesterday or drive 4+ hours to my nearest Ikea (at least I have family up there).

poodaddy

Almost the entirety of this post is tailored for an individual with more money than sense. Several of the products listed here are incredibly simple in both design and quality, yet because they're labeled as "modern" yuppies will buy them believing that the price is indicative of quality. There are far better options that are more economic and higher quality than literally every product here other than the Embody, which is a great chair, and most of those options are not of a "gamer" aesthetic.

On topic; I second the Ikea recommendations OP. Their products are much higher quality than they used to be, and they usually have pretty long warranties and aren't too hard to build.

Artanisix

When I was younger and didnt have as much money, I purchased a white door at home depot and bolted it sideways desk height to my wall and used it as a desk. Durable and the hole for a door handle was perfect for feeding cables through.

Not a bad option if you're looking for something super cheap.

Corpekata

Banned
I just have a simple folding table. Big, sturdy, and enough leg room, and super cheap (and easy enough to store or find a use for when I retire it). I'd probably get something from Ikea if it were feasible for me (no car, shipping is ridiculous).

RS4-

You can probably find someone selling their Jerker or some other Ikea desk for like $50 on something like Craigslist or whatever.

I think I paid $100 for my full sized galant

I got the Ikea Arkelstorp and it's pretty awesome. The top is solid wood too unlike Ikea's cheaper desks which use a hollow honeycomb structure or even the similarly-priced Bekant which is particleboard (plus, the Arkelstorp has drawers too!). I don't see many others suggesting this desk which I find a bit odd, since it seems to pretty much be the best desk you can get at Ikea and is reasonably priced. Only thing I don't like about it is that it seems a bit high to me, but I think that's just me not being used to not having a keyboard tray and I'm getting used to it.

Top Bottom