• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me a gaming PC desk

pottuvoi

Banned
Got myself basic ikea desk and sturdy adjustable legs.
Then screw under it a cable basket and 8 slot power outlet to get slightly better manegement for cords and to keep floor and desk uncluttered.

Might do extra hole trough table someday, perhaps put monitors on swiveling arm to get more desk and better cable management for them. (better for cleaning and get them slightly lower etc.)

Why are the DX-Racer style of chairs so synonymous with streamers? They tend to be expensive, and I always see them ripped apart in GAF threads by experts and consumers alike.

Are you guys all paid for advertisements? Or they are just so ubiquitous you figure you need one to be successful?

Bro i stand my DX!! will never buy anything else to be honest. My back will thank me in the future. No i pay out of my pocket for them.

mintyice

Ikea Jerker mustard rice

page__module__images__section__img_ctrl__img__614968__file__med

(not my pic and I don't have those drawers)

Why are the DX-Racer style of chairs so synonymous with streamers? They tend to be expensive, and I always see them ripped apart in GAF threads by experts and consumers alike.

Are you guys all paid for advertisements? Or they are just so ubiquitous you figure you need one to be successful?

They are TERRIBLE. A friend bought one who buys into all the stream hype, bought astro headphones etc.

IMO they are like every other " Gamer grade" item out there.

Kudo

I've yet to see them "ripped apart" here, actually surprised how many people have commented that they have one here and like it. Of course there's lots of people with prejudice against them. Maybe they get destroyed in some other threads I haven't read.

From this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164278 I count 9 people who have bought AK/DX Racer/Maxonomic and only one says he doesn't like it.

I got one too, paid it myself and it's good. Definitely lot better than anything IKEA I've had before, no back pains whatsoever and it's durable with lots of options. If Herman Miller was an option I'd go for Embody but thanks to their competitive pricing in my country it is not, and I don't miss it sitting on Maxonomic.
They sit in the middle with good ergonomics, medium price and great durability, even if they're branded "Gaming" you definitely are getting your moneys worth in my opinion.
I do think that most of the models just look silly but as far as I know they're not bad, even got 3 friends who got one after trying out mine.

But yeah, desks.

Isaccard

Why do you hate them so much, you say the same thing in every thread it happens to show up in; in spite of "experts" and consumers opinions there's plenty of people who clearly disagree. I've only seen positive things about their chairs on GAF. Not to mention DX Racer isin't the only company who makes this style of chair which is what I think your beef is with, which I don't understand I own a Maxonmic in a similar style and I enjoy it throughly.
Incidentally, I casually stream too, but I dont get paid for using the chair

I've gone through a lot of office chairs over the years and I recently ended up buying a DX. It's really sturdy in construction and made a real difference in my shoulders and back. There are a lot of different models, tho. You have to be sure and buy one that matches your height/weight.

Herne

Surprised at the DXRacer hate. I love my Drifting Series chair - it's so comfortable I often nod off in it (I don't stream anything and I paid full price).

I'm equally surprised that everyone is talking about height adjustable desks and Ikea, and nobody has mentioned the Skarsta.

ghibli99

I think it's been mentioned, but we have a black/brown Ikea Galant unit on two of our walls in our office. The room is only about 10'x10', and it, as well as a file cabinet and armoire for storage fit nicely in there. Underneath the desk is a rolling TV stand that holds my consoles, as well as two PCs, and a rolling two drawer unit. I like the Galant due to how sturdy it is with the metal bracing. Highly configurable too with relatively easy height adjustment. This combo has followed us through 2 moves, and still works like a champ. Used to have an Ikea Jerker from '01, which was one of the best desks I've ever owned. Just didn't match our decor anymore, otherwise I'd still have it!

Cerity

As far as desks goes, try and look around for a business that is closing down or upgrading. We sourced all of our desks at work from other businesses for dirt cheap, talking less than $50 for each one and they're sturdy as hell. Even a few adjustable height/standing desks.

I use this desk for my computer and TV/game systems. Can be a great setup.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FB5LE8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I own this desk. Using a dual monitor setup + the case all on the desk. The only downside is that it gets dirty af easily. I clean it weekly though, too lazy. The keyboard slide is useless for the keyboard cuz of being small, unless u use an apple kb.I use it to place my arcade stick when playing & it does the job.
Overall it's a great desk but I'd have chosen a wood one if I had enough space in my mini-room.

Bookoo

Anyone have any experience with the SKARSTA sit/stand desk? I was looking at the motorized Bekant, but it is too wide for my space.

Parfait

I use the IKEA Malm

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/00214157/

It's pretty great. It's thick and sturdy, got a drawer and a cupboard for storing crap. Large deskspace and a small shelf for storing cables.

Other colours are available. Mine's white.

Could you tell me more about how sturdy this is?

I have an old Ikea particlewhatever desk that's basically falling apart, but I also have a TV on it as my monitor. It came with a glass top, but the desk itself is a bit bowed in the middle and it gets dirty under the glass real quick. I've been looking at that Malm and I hope that the desk doesn't bend or anything like that after a few years.

I use an Ikea kitchen table as a computer desk. It's sturdy, minimal in aesthetics, and ver inexpensive. Look up the melltorp on ikea.com

Great thread. Subbed

Had my PC hooked up to my TV for the past year.

And in all that time I've realised one important thing... I miss my desk for FPS & RTS.

Give it a few months for construction and decoration to finish & I'll dive back in here for desk ideas!

b0bbyJ03

As far as desks goes, try and look around for a business that is closing down or upgrading. We sourced all of our desks at work from other businesses for dirt cheap, talking less than $50 for each one and they're sturdy as hell. Even a few adjustable height/standing desks.

This is a brilliant idea. Any recommendations on how to find businesses that are closing down? I live in NYC so I can imagine that there r many opportunities to find offices that are closing.

Hypron

Is this the desk from humansolution?

It's a desk from a local NZ store. I think the frame is manufactured in Asia (can't remember the country and I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check) and the desktop in NZ by this company called Melteca that makes great quality desktops in a wide range of colours. It was expensive but if you live in a bigger country (especially if you live in the US) you'll have way more options (both cheaper and more expensive).

It's very good quality though, it feels super heavy duty (rated 160kg/350lbs) and the finish is impeccable.

You can also buy a frame and a desktop separately. Most frames I've seen are width adjustable so you choose a desktop size that fits your room and put it on there. However, I'd really recommend getting a desktop that's at least 80cm/~31" deep instead of the 60cm/~24" that you tend to find on cheap desks, the extra space is very handy.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Furthermore, most IKEA basic desks can be altered via extendable legs bought separately.

Yup. Can't go wrong with a BEKANT. Nice, simple and clean. You can keep it at a permanent standing height if you'd like too. I've gotten used to standing in front of computer desk now for a few hours.

Yup. Can't go wrong with a BEKANT. Nice, simple and clean. You can keep it at a permanent standing height if you'd like too. I've gotten used to standing in front of computer desk now for a few hours.

Damn, the BEKANT is like 50% longer than the SKARSTA and cost almost twice as much. Too bad the SKARSTA only comes in white and I think the desk is constructed with cheaper material.

nga0209

Neophyte
IKEA office section has a ton of variety for colour, width, depth, leg type, accessories like drawers.

Any special requirements you have? Eg needing to fit in an alcove of specific size?
I don't know what your budget is but I have an adjustable standing desk which is one of the best home office decisions I made. It really helps being able to stand up for a couple hours during long gaming sessions so you don't feel super fucked up after sitting in a weird position for hours on end. The other nice thing about an adjustable desk is between that and your chair you should be able to get a sitting height that is pretty much perfect for you.
You can use Autonomous standing desk, it is quite cheap and good quality

JCK75

I custom built mine from the IKEA builds, after doing this I seriously can't imagine ever doing it any other way.

Silvawuff

Nobody posted this yet? C'mon!

bs10.jpg

In all seriousness, I'd highly recommend checking out Ikea, as others have suggested. Also make sure you shop for/measure your chair to make sure it's comfortable with your desk too -- it's an easy oversight. Good luck with setting up your new office, OP!

bufkus

If this guy lives in the US there are always so many options other than IKEA.

I mean the only other options are super expensive furniture from luxury stores/brands or companies that sell to businesses, or cheapo garbage from walmart/target that breaks after a few months.

Top Bottom