• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me a gaming PC desk

I just put together two of those ten dollars desks from Ikea. The legs were like 3 dollars each. Serves it's purpose and gives me a lot of space.

jb1FAgp.png

If the desk is going to be against a wall/corner, I vouch for Ikea. I made an L desk with the Linnmon table tops because I needed to fit a lot of stuff and have been happy so far. The only problem is idk what to do about adding a hutch / second shelf above monitors.

Atlantic-Gaming-Desk1.jpg

This is what I use. It's pretty tall and has plenty of leg room. I didn't attach any of the extra stuff except the cable management basket, front basket to put stuff in, and the cup holder lol. I have a 24 and 27 inch monitor sitting on it and it works perfectly for my needs and looks really sleek.

Momentary

Banned
Almost the entirety of this post is tailored for an individual with more money than sense. Several of the products listed here are incredibly simple in both design and quality, yet because they're labeled as "modern" yuppies will buy them believing that the price is indicative of quality. There are far better options that are more economic and higher quality than literally every product here other than the Embody, which is a great chair, and most of those options are not of a "gamer" aesthetic.

On topic; I second the Ikea recommendations OP. Their products are much higher quality than they used to be, and they usually have pretty long warranties and aren't too hard to build.

What the heck are you even talking about? You pissed off cause I don't want to buy particle board or cheaply made mdf and that everything I've seen under $200 doesn't look like anything that would go with the design of the house? What a condescending, close minded prick. Only place I've seen that comes close to these aesthetics at a lower price is World Market, but their desks are either too small or have too much stuff on there that would just get in the way of my setup.

Wow man, your post was so ignorant and infuriating. I'm sure you'll be back to spout more poison in your retort. Luckily I won't be able to see your vehement garbage.

If you got the dough check out Restoration Hardware.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/collections.jsp?categoryId=cat1676047

I'm kind of a RH fanboy but they're incredibly well made real wood desks. I'm also a sucker for the lived in look.

Wow! I've never seen this website before. My wife and I really like what they have on there. We're trying to do a rustic modern aesthetic theme with our new house and this will definitely help the office turn out pretty darn good looking. Thanks for this!

komorebi

I use an old music workstation desk I had:

542052000069001-00-500x500.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Workstation.gc

I removed the keyboard tray underneath because those things are the enemy of man's knees. This desk is nice because the 2nd shelf is not only at eye level, it also goes back far enough to where I can put my 27" 1080p monitor towards the back and not have to worry about the image looking grainy thanks to the resolution/size. I don't want to fuck with 1440p+ for various reasons right now, but mostly its because I play on my 50" TV which is on the opposite side of my room.

Another thing I love is that the desk space itself is very large. You have plenty of room to put a mouse/kb anywhere you want and still have tons of arm space so you can recline and chill. Its also pretty sturdy but not as stout as a full wooden desk, if that's what you're looking for.

I've had this desk.

My only word of warning is that the glass tops are not completely secured. There are rubber feet on the stand which hold them in place. Generally it's fine but if you have a swivel chair and you're anything like me, when you turn the chair to get up you'll fairly frequent knock it into the desk which slides the glass back. I was very worried the glass would have fallen off so I moved it into the corner of a wall. I would never have an edge not against a wall and be able to fall off like shown in that picture potentially.

If you don't like using the keyboard tray there isn't much room for a keyboard and mouse as well. I have this one. I use keyboard tray as a spot to stash my laptop.

I've had mine for years and do like it quite a bit, especially for the price.

Hypron

I'd really recommend getting a height adjustable desk for maximum comfort. I've got a sit stand desk:

Which means even when I sit I can adjust the desk height to be at the perfect height for me. I'm really happy of my purchase, being able to stand when you're starting to feel a bit sore is great.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
If you've got room I would recommend an L-Desk.

Best-Glass-L-Shaped-Desk.jpg

I have a wood one, but the glass ones are usually cheaper and easier to assemble. Being able to prop your legs up on the desk while being supported by the other section of the desk is nice too.

I'm using Ikea linnmon, the panels seem quite sturdy, though I still need to use some besta storage to stabilize the desk. The desk height is only around 65 cm which I find it's quite comfortable

Get normal office desk as big as possible with adjustable height and you also need chair with elbow support

The Embody would be the GOAT office chair if it had any head/neck support.

Instead that crown goes to the Aeron (w/ aftermarket headrest. GG Aeron. Still crushing it after all these years.

subwilde

I just put together two of those ten dollars desks from Ikea. The legs were like 3 dollars each. Serves it's purpose and gives me a lot of space.

I'm interested in doing this. How did you support the middle area of the desk? I assume you screwed on some brackets but does it sag at all with no leg underneath?

Can't go wrong with using one of those white tables used for things like parties:

You absolutely can go wrong with that. It's bent at the center and isn't stable. I was so happy to be rid of it when I got an ikea counter top and some legs. Stable, simple, good looking, and cheap.

I'm interested in doing this. How did you support the middle area of the desk? I assume you screwed on some brackets but does it sag at all with no leg underneath?

Where they meet I put a bracket on the front end and a leg on the back end. Works pretty well and doesn't sag.

Grief.exe

Atlantic-Gaming-Desk1.jpg

This is what I use. It's pretty tall and has plenty of leg room. I didn't attach any of the extra stuff except the cable management basket, front basket to put stuff in, and the cup holder lol. I have a 24 and 27 inch monitor sitting on it and it works perfectly for my needs and looks really sleek.

That's kind of tacky fam.

Zaptruder

Banned
Almost the entirety of this post is tailored for an individual with more money than sense. Several of the products listed here are incredibly simple in both design and quality, yet because they're labeled as "modern" yuppies will buy them believing that the price is indicative of quality. There are far better options that are more economic and higher quality than literally every product here other than the Embody, which is a great chair, and most of those options are not of a "gamer" aesthetic.

On topic; I second the Ikea recommendations OP. Their products are much higher quality than they used to be, and they usually have pretty long warranties and aren't too hard to build.

Actually, those appear to be some top tier electric height adjustable desks which are also by default top tier ergonomics.

I have a desk very similar to the Ergodesk, and it looks great and more importantly is ultra functional... because you can adjust desk height very easily, you can set the desk height and chair height in a manner to maximize your overall seated comfort. When you get sore from sitting, you just stand up and that becomes comfy as fuck.

Also, no one in so far as I can tell is asking for the gamer aesthetic, so that's just a confusing comment.

Grief.exe

Just got this table. I dont PC game but i do stream.

20160325_233618.jpg

Why are the DX-Racer style of chairs so synonymous with streamers? They tend to be expensive, and I always see them ripped apart in GAF threads by experts and consumers alike.

Are you guys all paid for advertisements? Or they are just so ubiquitous you figure you need one to be successful?

I'd really recommend getting a height adjustable desk for maximum comfort. I've got a sit stand desk:

Which means even when I sit I can adjust the desk height to be at the perfect height for me. I'm really happy of my purchase, being able to stand when you're starting to feel a bit sore is great.

Is this the desk from humansolution?

My recommendation is a flat simple desk. Do not buy one with a keyboard tray or a raised monitor stand. Use you chair and monitor adjustmen's to get the right positioning. IKEA has a good selection of sizes to choose from. As for chair, I love my Markus chair.

It is good to have some sort of way to have your monitor to be higher, or your keyboard lower since most monitor stands do not have the height to put the screen in the proper viewing position with your arms in the proper typing position. Basically you don't want to have to look down on your monitor or have your arms more then 90 degrees at the elbow.

Herman Miller. i'm grabbing this Embody chair as soon as I get back home next month.

I'm also kind of torn on the Gesture by Steel case.

Make sure to test them both out. The embody has the best back I've had in a computer chair and that is why I got one myself. It's sitting area isn't the best though and has less adjustability then some other chairs. The Gesture seems to be highly recommended but it was absolutely out of the question for me and I could tell it from the first time I sat down. The lower back has no support at all, and basically flexes out of supporting you if you put any weight into it. Even with the lumbar thing on it I couldn't find a setting that was acceptable for me. Not saying that other people can't enjoy it, just make sure you test one out before spending all that money on one.

Another chair I recommend trying is the Zody from Haworth. It was between the Embody and that for me, and there are days that I wish I went with the Zody.

It is good to have some sort of way to have your monitor to be higher, or your keyboard lower since most monitor stands do not have the height to put the screen in the proper viewing position with your arms in the proper typing position. Basically you don't want to have to look down on your monitor or have your arms more then 90 degrees at the elbow.

Isn't it recommended to have the top of the monitor around the eyes level? Unless you are using a 19" monitor or you are like 6 feet tall, don't bother getting a monitor riser.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
http://m.staples.com/Whalen-Astoria-Computer-Desk-Brown-Cherry/product_887821

This is what I've been using for a few years. I love how the pullout keyboard tray is actually big enough for your typical large gaming keyboard. You also have enough room for the mouse without feeling cramped.

When I recline in my office chair, my hands line up perfectly along the arm rests onto the mouse and keyboard so it's super comfortable.

The glass top is also huge and leaves a good amount of space for a nice 27" monitor and sodas and whatever other stuff you want.

Why are the DX-Racer style of chairs so synonymous with streamers? They tend to be expensive, and I always see them ripped apart in GAF threads by experts and consumers alike.

Are you guys all paid for advertisements? Or they are just so ubiquitous you figure you need one to be successful?

I've heard multiple streamers say they got theirs at a big discount or free, and they always seem to have a discount code for their viewers to use if they want to order one of their own. I assume DXRacer is giving them to streamers for the exposure, banking on sales from viewers.

I have no idea if they're actually comfortable. It looks like they do have some more tolerable colors available on their site than what I see streamers using.

GavinUK86

i was just looking at the ikea bekant. i like the idea of being able to raise and lower it. is it a pretty good desk?

Isn't it recommended to have the top of the monitor around the eyes level? Unless you are using a 19" monitor or you are like 6 feet tall, don't bother getting a monitor riser.

Yes. I'm not saying that those things are mandatory, just make sure to use what works with you. I am not super tall and the stand on my 24" dell is an inch or two too short for it to be in the best position without something under it. For other people that may be different, and it's a good thing to keep in mind. There is no reason to outright avoid risers or trays, although a book under your monitor (what I used before getting a different mount) could solve the problem as well.

this

I have been doing some research on standing desks and found this or reddit:
https://www.autonomous.ai/desk
apparently its a kickstarted company doing decent quality adjustable desks for a surprisingly accessible price. I finally pulled the trigger a couple of days ago to give it a shot.

Bergerac

Whatever you do, you need leg room. Don't get:

- A desk with a low shelf where your extended legs would otherwise go.
- A shallow corner desk which is either lacking depth between yourself and the back corner or which have significant posts or struts under the back corner. Those IKEA Gallant models on the first page are a good choice, the corner is deep with a lot of desk space directly from corner to seating, and there's no major post or support in the back corner, just a regular thin leg.
- Glass. Not recommended. They're obviously more fragile, yet needlessly incredibly heavy, and often their supports are glued on with shit glue.

Best advice is just to think about leg space. You need to be able to stretch out. Your knees can really go to shit through extended sessions with cramped desks and that's more important than any feature a desk can promise.

Get a desk that's suitable for you height. Go to IKEA and grab a nearby chair and measure up how comfortable you are sitting down. A decent chair will have adjustable height but you still want a resonable leg length so you're sitting at optimnal comfort.

Also take into account how close you will be to the monitor, you don't want to be too close.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
i was just looking at the ikea bekant. i like the idea of being able to raise and lower it. is it a pretty good desk?

I have just recently gotten an IKEA Bekant desk myself. I have it permanently as a standing desk as I don't want to be sitting in front of a computer after a day of doing that at the office. I personally really like the desk as it's very simple and clean. I am also not a very tall person so the desk can just about reach my standing height. However, if you're a guy, chances are the default maximum height for this desk might not be tall enough for you. So that's something for you to consider.

Bergerac

I have just recently gotten an IKEA Bekant desk myself. I have it permanently as a standing desk as I don't want to be sitting in front of a computer after a day of doing that at the office. I personally really like the desk as it's very simple and clean. I am also not a very tall person so the desk can just about reach my standing height. However, if you're a guy, chances are the default maximum height for this desk might not be tall enough for you. So that's something for you to consider.

Furthermore, most IKEA basic desks can be altered via extendable legs bought separately.

lmao I can't imagine doing a fast mouse swipe on this thing

I have the IKEA Galant corner desk that looks like this but white

a9d4_1.jpg

and it's incredible. need a big sturdy desk like this for PC gaming imo

Ikea Galant owns. Shame they don't make that particular model anymore. I've been trying to find a corner piece extension in my color for the longest time. =/

Top Bottom