• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some anime for my GF and I

Zyrox

Having watched and enjoyed a lot of the same stuff as your GF (and I couldn't get into Samurai Champloo either) I recommend

Attack on Titan
Re: Zero
Parasyte
OG Berserk (only covers one arc though, story goes much further in manga)
Code Geass

Necrovex

Gintama time

An anime newbie would not enjoy this show. It's way too heavy on Japan-centric references for a newcomer to fully appreciate it (and hell I've been following the medium for years and a good handful of the references still go over my head!).

P.S. I am repping The Count of Monte Cristo anime adaption. I never thought Sci-Fi and one of the best novels ever created would blend well, but I was impressed with the output. I've watched that show at least four times over.

Daingurse

I've been watching the OG Saint Seiya on CrunchyRoll for the first time. I'd recommend watching that if you guys have never seen it before, because the shit is hype lol.

ApharmdX

Banned
Some older stuff my wife liked- Claymore, Berserk, Death Note
Jojo for sure
Sword Art Online

I don't know if it's a gender thing but my wife just doesn't like the same stuff that I do. Like I thought Samurai Champloo was amazing and my favorite series but she didn't care for it. Same with Attack on Titan, I adore it. But she adores FMA, whereas I couldn't get into that at all.

Wolf's Rain, chicks dig Wolves right? Well my Wife liked it.

Yeah mine did too, I'd also recommend this.

Shirobako is a love letter to the genre, I highly recommend for any anime fan (casual or otherwise). It also has a lot of relatable themes such as not being sure if you're on the correct career path, not being able to find work in your preferred field, scrapping by even when you DO have a job, etc. It's prolly my favorite of all time (fluctuate between that and Aria).

Zero315

Banned
I'll back the My Hero Academia, Wolf's Rain and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure recommendations. MHA has been incredible.

He'll sing Ultimate is pretty good. Casshern Sins is great if you don't mind feeling like shit after you watch it. Can't go wrong with the Full Metal Panic franchise either.

Zambatoh

Since OP mentioned Fate/Zero, I'll not only throw in my vote for it's sequel UBW, but I also highly recommend checking
out it's distant cousin Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners.

An anime newbie would not enjoy this show. It's way too heavy on Japan-centric references for a newcomer to fully appreciate it (and hell I've been following the medium for years and a good handful of the references still go over my head!).

P.S. I am repping The Count of Monte Cristo anime adaption. I never thought Sci-Fi and one of the best novels ever created would blend well, but I was impressed with the output. I've watched that show at least four times over.

I'm sure I missed quite a few references, but generally, I still had a blast watching it, one of my favourite comedy... no animes in general. Just fun to watch, light-hearted etc. I wouldn't call myself heavily invested in Japanese culture at all.

Fou-Lu

Thanks for all the recs! We just watched Yuri on Ice and really enjoyed it, but not sure what we are going to watch next, we are a on a bit of a happy and inspirational kick.

Top Bottom