• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer

Simo

I feel the same way. According to wikipedia writing credits for Red Dead Redemption are: Dan Houser, Michael Unsworth, Christian Cantamessa
GTAIV: Dan Houser, Rupert Humphries
GTAV: Dan Houser, Rupert Humphries, Michael Unsworth

But I don't know to what extent each had influence.

Dan is the head lead writer on all Rockstar games so is responsible for the story but co-writes obviously with Unsworth and Cantamessa are the leads for the mission and ambient dialog.

Dan Houser has been vocal in the past that for whatever deficiencies he has in his writing he's happy to have Unsworth, Humphries, Lazlow etc make up for it. lol

Listen, I have no idea what really goes on with the delegation of Rockstar's writing, but Cantamessa really seemed like he knew what he was doing from what I remember in the interviews surrounding the last game, so I guess it's a shame he's no longer involved.

Toni

Please, companies are learning. It doesn't even look that good. Yes it looks great. But there's ton's of AA and shit I can see. Obviously not a completely polished build.

Took the words out of my mouth.

It looks good but not something so crazy like Horizon on PS4. (Also open-world).

You could discern that the IQ is better than GTA5 on PS4, but not by that much.

Tonky

Took the words out of my mouth.

It looks good but not something so crazy like Horizon on PS4. (Also open-world).

You could discern that the IQ is better than GTA5 on PS4, but not by that much.
I agree, the game looks about as good as Horizon. The difference is that it'll have that R* attention to detail that no other developer has (with the exception of ND). All those little details that add to the immersion of the game.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Can't believe it says pre order now at the end, why the hell would you give someone money for something that's still a year away?

Donthizz#

I think this going to be destiny type MMO with raids and stuff. hopefully it will have a strong single-player campaign as well.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the music in this trailer brehs

Red Dead is finally back
3RsxI9d.png

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just got back from a workday, and it was surprisingly more popular with my workmates than I thought. My friend - who never plays games - said it's one of the few games which she's adored watching from a backseat-player perspective and leapt once I told her about a new trailer.

At the same time, the moment she loudly mentioned "Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer," several other workmates - my boss included - suddenly came and were like
1098.gif

aravuus

Looks great. The first thought I had when watching the trailer was "this is gonna look amazing on my PC" before I realized it's not happening in a while if ever, but as long as the game's a rock solid 30 fps on PS4 I'll manage.

The game doesn't look as good as something like Uncharted 4 or DriveClub, but for that's open world and all about huge wide spaces, I'd say that's about as good as you're gonna get on this tech. Those are some nice looking vistas, but I don't expect the game to blow me away visually, and that's understandable.

I just hope the character models are up to snuff, because boy did they look crappy in the first game. Bonnie had hair like fucking straw.

The animations of the animals look so weird and unnatural, really distracting. This is why I dislike the trend towards more and more realism, the flaws just become more and more apparent as games get more "realistic".

SomTervo

In all honesty I'd love to see this game turn into Rockstar's take on Blood Meridian but that might be something too intense even for the most jaded out there in interactive form. If they could make a character like the Judge, well shit this could be GOAT.

I guess the closest thing we have to a Judge Holden in gaming is Pyramid Head

Would be great to see Rockstar try their hand at this

Yeah - definitely less of a spaghetti western tone.

I was actually speaking more in terms of aesthetic than the tone of the story though. The first game was mostly deserts and canyons given the Texas/Mecico setting. This on the other hand looks decidedly more centralized... Plains, mountains, woods with coniferous trees... That's mainly what I meant by the Skyrim bit (in certain shots) - and Deadwood as well, which took place in a more mountainous region than your typical western.

Yeah I get that. The more realistic mountainous frontier thing. Especially the shot with the river winding away into the distance, that could easily be from a next-gen Skyrim.

The tone of this trailer suggests far more strongly that they're going for a more serious work of western fiction, which is fucking great. I just hope they update the gameplay mechanics to match. I'd love some Souls-tier challenging mechanics.

NHale

When do y'all think we'll see something next? My guess would be either at PSX or nothing at all until sometime in Spring of next year with a new trailer + GameInformer/IGN First-style coverage event.

I really don't see Rockstar doing anything special for PSX. They don't even care about E3.

If I had to guess at best we get a 15 second teaser with new footage. Rockstar will do their own thing and their own timing, they don't need E3, PSX or anything like that, so if this will really be a Fall title, I expect nothing new until March/April next year.

Simo

I really don't see Rockstar doing anything special for PSX. They don't even care about E3.

If I had to guess at best we get a 15 second teaser with new footage. Rockstar will do their own thing and their own timing, they don't need E3, PSX or anything like that, so if this will really be a Fall title, I expect nothing new until March/April next year.

They care about E3 when they need to show something. They've had a presence at previous E3's and even internal emails show they always give it a thought if whatever they're developing is ready, like for example L.A Noire was going to be revealed heavily at one of the E3s but because of the issues they were having with Team Bondi and the state of the game they cancelled the showing.

PSX being a Sony even and they now announcing a partnership with Rockstar for RDR2, I mean I'd be surprised if it wasn't there. The game is now Playstation's biggest third party title for 2017, they'll blowing that horn as much as they can from now until next fall. lol

My guess would that over the weeks and months Rockstar will be, hopefully, pretty open about RDR2 with details and screenshots. This isn't like a GTAV situation where they announced it and went dark because of Max Payne 3 was coming before and was the focus of the marketing. I mean Rockstar doesn't have anything aside from GTAO now.

Just like how they port Red Dead Redemption to PC a year or two later and a lot of people bought it again. Oh wait.

People keep bringing this up. RDR2 is coming to PC. Rockstar is not going to throw money away. GTA V was an excellent PC port and sold millions of copies. Also, this game is made from the ground up for current gen consoles and there have been rumors that the original RDR codebase was a mess. Rockstar wants that double-dip cash. They won't announce the PC version for a long time.

John Wick

Looks so much better than Witcher 3. That foliage is amazing.

Please stop. It'll also have a budget probably 2-3 times bigger than The Witcher 3. Also games get better graphically as time goes on. Tools and optimisation improve so a game releasing 2-3 years after should be better graphically

Fledz

Wasn't there an actual reason for not releasing RDR on PC? Something about difficulty with porting it or am I completely making this up? I swear I read something about it ages ago.

John Wick

Just like how they port Red Dead Redemption to PC a year or two later and a lot of people bought it again. Oh wait.

You must be pretty green. Previous consoles were nothing like PC's. It makes absolute financial sense for Rockstar to release a PC version further down the line. Especially when it won't cost them much to develop the PC version alongside the console versions.

Simo

Wasn't there an actual reason for not releasing RDR on PC? Something about difficulty with porting it or am I completely making this up? I swear I read something about it ages ago.

Not publically but the word is that RDR was made up of something like 2 different iterations of the RAGE engine and then held together with duct tape meaning it was just technically unfeasible to port it because they didn't think it would hold. lol

Or so that's what the story is and considering Rockstar released titles before and after RDR on PC it seems like there's truth to it. It also explains why a remaster is out of the question.

bud23

GameInformer spotted a nice detail

Changing Seasons?

In the same scene where we see the dreamcatcher and the canoe, we see a solitary leaf falling from a tree. Maybe a squirrel rustled it from the branch as it ran through the tree, but perhaps it signals that RDR 2’s open world is dynamic enough to support the changing of the seasons. We would love to see how gameplay would be affected by dangerously low temperatures and deep snowbanks covering the plains and mountain passes.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...g-down-the-red-dead-redemption-2-trailer.aspx

damn, that would be really cool

Top Bottom