• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer

etta

my hard graphic balls
Could the shot at 30s be Great plains/Beechers hope? Don't have the original installed or I'd have a look. Think the mouuntains on the left half of the screen could be from the original game.

Not that far off:

6Lk7vbC.png

6I2T67I.png

gzxQiNf.png

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Never played the first, will play this if it comes to PC.

So this leaked map is official then?

The strongest piece of evidence from the trailer that the map is real are the oilfield scene (ref:"Heartland Oil Fields" @ l10 on the map). Yes, I am aware that RDR had oilfields as well, but there were not identified as a place of interest.

Of further interest, oil wasn't discovered in the mid-continent states until the late 1890's (further west it was found much earlier). The fact the trailer shows streetlamps with lightbulb means the game is set after the 1880's. (I'm assuming Rockstar has done some basic research on this as they did in RDR.)

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
so it seems like the dude in the middle is probably the MC. he shows up during the fire and (presumably) canoeing scenes.

guy on the far left resembles the dual-wielding dude on the promotional art and the Native American character is to the left of the MC. no one else in this shot really matches up with the poster tho.

5taquitos

The strongest piece of evidence from the trailer that the map is real are the oilfield scene (ref:"Heartland Oil Fields" @ l10 on the map). Yes, I am aware that RDR had oilfields as well, but there were not identified as a place of interest.

Of further interest, oil wasn't discovered in the mid-continent states until the late 1890's (further west it was found much earlier). The fact the trailer shows streetlamps with lightbulb means the game is set after the 1880's. (I'm assuming Rockstar has done some basic research on this as they did in RDR.)
If it's a direct prequel, 1890s would make the most sense, since the original took place in 1911. John's time with Dutch's gang would have been then.

so it seems like the dude in the middle is probably the MC. he shows up during the fire and (presumably) canoeing scenes.

guy on the far left resembles the dual-wielding dude on the promotional art and the Native American character is to the left of the MC. no one else in this shot really matches up with the poster tho.

The one of the far right in yellow looks like a chick.

inner-G

Banned
If the trailer didn't have enough action for you, just watch this classic Magnificent 7 trailer and imagine it in RDR2, lol.

https://youtu.be/bG-ZxrG7htU

I think they kind of played it safe with RDR because it was such a big investment into a 'new' franchise. I can't wait to see what they have in store for this game.

UrbanRats

Haha I have my 360 hooked up but...the fact the BC actually improves the game like the textures and frame rate I want to play it in the best way possible now and anything else would just nag at my mind until I do. lol
It does? Any comparison?

Edit: ok seen the df video, the performance is much better, though they dont mention better textures or texture filtering.

Krooner

If it's a direct prequel, 1890s would make the most sense, since the original took place in 1911. John's time with Dutch's gang would have been then.

I think we'll be with them (in game) for a long time. When John left, Abigail(?) was running with the gang and she's not on the poster. We could be with the gang - or varying members of - for decades.

I think we'll be with them (in game) for a long time. When John left, Abigail(?) was running with the gang and she's not on the poster. We could be with the gang - or varying members of - for decades.
The bait & switch is that Dutch's gang will be the NPC villains (including John and Abigail).

The player's character will either be a sheriff of some backwater town or a Gordon Freeman "wrong man in the wrong place" type character.

I'm ready for a seasonal cycle. Rockstar is usually the first ones to pull off ambitious features like that.

Loved how the weather and day cycle in GTA V always made the world look different. Hoping the weather features will be even more drastic. Like Wyoming/Oklahoma weather patterns (super cells and tornados).

Plum

Definitely feel underwhelmed. Pretty graphics and scenery shots aren't enough to get me more excited than I was at the initial reveal. I needed some more substance like the first GTAV trailer, this seems like it was trying to be like the IV reveal trailer but it doesn't hold as much weight.

Krooner

Playing as John Marston in the prequel will ruin the impact of the first game in so many different ways....

I don't think so. Seeing how and why he arrived where he did would only strengthen his overall arc I think.

Having him IN the prequel and not hiving him playable brings of mind shades of MGS2. They'd need a really strong playable lead to take away from the fact you're not him. Narrativly they're in a really strong place with Marston, we know he was ultimately a good man, they know we like him. There's a lot you can do to subvert that.

Bandit1

So as far as changing seasons, I can totally see Rockstar doing this for RDR2, that falling leaf very well could have been a cleverly placed hint. But most likely it would be tied to story progression like we've seen in Bully and Assassin's Creed III, and not dynamic. There's a short quote from Sam Houser where he talks about the team's vision for a "truly living world." Seasonal changes in such a vast and detailed world would be regarded as a major accomplishment and feels like just the sort of ground Rockstar would tread going forward with a game based so much in nature.

SJRB

Gold Member
If they do a prequel it would make way more sense if they pull a MGS2 and make John a side character. That way the game would have an original story without being restricted by the first game AND expand on John's backstory without diminishing the first game's narrative in any way.

Stiler

Looking at the pics, I really hope they do something more with the hair technology (for horses mainly).

Their tails still look like giant strands of rubber rather then hair.

Hopefully they can get something like Tressfx or in there so hair looks like hair.

Krooner

If they do a prequel it would make way more sense if they pull a MGS2 and make John a side character. That way the game would have an original story without being restricted by the first game AND expand on John's backstory without diminishing the first game's narrative in any way.

Not a bad point, but "way more sense"? I'm not sure...

The most sense (if you were looking to completely protect what you'd built with the previous game) would be to do it about a completely different set of characters wouldn't it? If they're taking us back there it's because there's a story to tell, and they can't not know that even if he's an NPC; all eyes will be on Marston. Why blue-balls us all in that way?

Bandit1

Looking at the pics, I really hope they do something more with the hair technology (for horses manely).

Their tails still look like giant strands of rubber rather then hair.

Hopefully they can get something like Tressfx or in there so hair looks like hair.

Ftfy

Ba
Dum
Tss

I sure hope so because Dutch was a very interesting character in RDR and this could mean looking back at the Marston's criminal carreer.

What makes me less hyped is the possibility of a multiple character driven story. I hated its implementation on GTA5 and don't want to see the game I've been expecting the most throughout the years ruined by it. But this heavy emphasis on the seven people sadly points that way.

I really can't see them handling seven different character stories in the game. If I were to guess....I would say that the game will have one playable character similar to RDR. Then the rest of the Posse members will have their own flavor of missions the main character would be able to choose from. Then maybe have bigger specific Gang missions where the entire group is involved, similar to a heist or something in GTA V. During these missions the player would have the ability to jump character to character and control them during combat.

Simo

Not that far off:

6Lk7vbC.png

6I2T67I.png

gzxQiNf.png

Yup. One S ordered. I couldn't stand it no more.

Not until we see more but there's a few things that say..."maybe"? There's obviously the already mentioned Great Plains/Bleecher's Hope looking area thats in the trailer and on the map and we also see a oil field named the Heartland Oil Field, although there was a oil field in RDR too.

It's also interesting how the PR says "Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America's unforgiving heartland." and one of the biggest regions on the leaked map is The Heartlands. lol

Bah! A year of speculation though. Hopefully in December we'll see more at PSX.

Ridaxan

I'm really excited for this. I was sort of hoping for a remaster/release of RDR on PC/PS4/XB1, but I'm actually happier that we're seeing a brand new game.

I should make a plan and go back and actually finish RDR.

Coffinhal

I don't think they'll reveal more until a few months, at least February. They must plan a 6/7-months media campaign from March/April.

I hope there won't be a delay. They ALWAYS delay but this time they revealed it only 1 year before the announced release date SO this might mean they have it under control.

It was leaked and confirmed by another source, but yeah it must be the one.

I guess that their way to be sorry for the lack of a proper remaster (because the code was a mess etc)

Simo

I don't think they'll reveal more until a few months, at least February. They must plan a 6/7-months media campaign from March/April.

I hope there won't be a delay. They ALWAYS delay but this time they revealed it only 1 year before the announced release date SO this might mean they have it under control.

It was leaked and confirmed by another source, but yeah it must be the one.

I guess that their way to be sorry for the lack of a proper remaster (because the code was a mess etc)

I don't think it'll be delayed personally. It's been cooking for a long enough time Fall 2017 is likely already being generous. This isn't like GTAV's announcement when they had the trailer with only a year of development in. RDR barely got a delay anyway of like 2-3 weeks.

I wonder what else Take Two has cooking though? Aside from WWE2K18 and other sports titles, RDR2 would be their biggest title they've got slated for fiscal 2018.

Chris1

I don't think I've posted here before simply because there's not much to say. Like what is there to say? "Looks cool?". The teaser didn't really show anything and there isn't much to discuss.

I imagine others feel the same way aswell. It's not that we're not hype for it.. it's just there's nothing meaningful to really say.

Simo

Oh its got to get delayed its almost a R* tradition at this point.

If it does I can only imagine it'd be a short time I hope. Fall is a pretty open window to release and delay between September to December and really, GTAV was the only one of their most recent releases that got a significant bump back by 4 months.

GTAV announcement had no release window. Max Payne 3 got it's first trailer with a release date for 6 months later but got a 6-7 week delay, RDR had no release window in the announcement trailer and got delayed 2-3 weeks. RDR2 though gets a release window and preorder links. So I still think it'll be released this year even if it should get a delay. It's funny because if it releases in fall 2017 then RDR2 was in longer development than GTAV.

Lucas Sparks

Neo Member
Has there been any confirmation that the Singleplayer and Multiplayer will be separate versions yet? It matters soo much to me haha.

Simo

Has there been any confirmation that the Singleplayer and Multiplayer will be separate versions yet? It matters soo much to me haha.

To be fair we haven't got confirmation of anything other than it exists. lol However I wouldn't see why there wouldn't be a single player and separate Red Dead Online just because of the success of RDR's online mode and GTAO.

Official confirmation, No. But this quote from RS on RDR2 page suggest multiplayer is more in line like GTA Online.
Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

dreamfall

If it does I can only imagine it'd be a short time I hope. Fall is a pretty open window to release and delay between September to December and really, GTAV was the only one of their most recent releases that got a significant bump back by 4 months.

GTAV announcement had no release window. Max Payne 3 got it's first trailer with a release date for 6 months later but got a 6-7 week delay, RDR had no release window in the announcement trailer and got delayed 2-3 weeks. RDR2 though gets a release window and preorder links. So I still think it'll be released this year even if it should get a delay. It's funny because if it releases in fall 2017 then RDR2 was in longer development than GTAV.

Part of me hopes it doesn't get delayed, but I keep thinking that if it does it'll slip back from October to May. I just keep imagining that it's their first real next-gen title built from the ground up, so it'll be awesome to see how the tech has improved. I also wonder how the RAGE engine has involved, and to what extent Euphoria will be used. I really hope it doesn't get delayed, but rather it be delayed and really polished than anything else.

Steak&Cheese

Neo Member
I'm extremely excited for another Red Dead game, as Redemption might be my favorite game that Rockstar has ever made. That said, I don't love the idea of it being a prequel. Prequels rarely end up being as compelling as the original because demystifying the past of a fictional world usually just isn't that interesting. Marston having a dark past was a cool Western movie-ass aspect of him as a character, and there was a certain looming inevitability that the things he had done would eventually catch up to him. But by setting this entire game in the past, we lose any uncertainty in the story, as we already know where the plot is going. It's always been cool how Rockstar starts a new story from scratch with all of the GTA games, as it offers a good opportunity to tell entirely new stories that aren't derivative of their predecessors. A Western setting is fairly unexplored in the video game space, and with so many good films to draw upon for inspiration, it seems kind of silly that we are going to be around the same characters again.

Anything can happen, but I don't see this getting delayed. I think the possible delay has already been factored into the Fall 2017 target. We're already looking at 7.5 years next fall, I can't see it being delayed and taking 8 years with a May 2018 release.

Top Bottom