• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer

SJRB

Gold Member
Did anyone stumble upon any neat wallpapers of that key art? It doesn't seem that R* released any screenshots or anyrhing along this trailer, unfortunately.

Randam

http://i.imgur.com/qfYC6lG.jpg

After looking at this picture extensively I AM convinced that the rider on the right is a woman.

1) The clothing. All the riders have big coats made of what looks like thick heavy material. The rider on the right has a blouse, made of thin material that is tucked in. Look at the sleeves. As they come down to the wrist cuff you'll notice they're puffy. Very similar to blouses worn by women at the time.

Example:
http://i.imgur.com/AHEVKEt.jpg

2) Look at the figure compared to the other riders. Very small waist compared to the others. Also based on the shadows and curves in the bust region I would say that the rider may have breasts.

3) Finally the colours. Tried to find sources on this but I remember hearing about in an American history class I took. Cowboys and the like would wear more muted colours. Their work was dirty and clothes were easily damaged and repaired. As a result they didn't spend the extra money on the dyes to make clothing colourful. So we see a lot of white, brown, beige, black, etc. Woman on the other hand (depending on social status) had would sometimes buy nicer clothing for social events or to impress potential suitors. Therefore it was more likely they held articles of clothing that were more colourful or nicer material.

What i'm getting at here is look at the difference between the riders. Yellow blouse vs blacks and greys and all those muted shades. I'm feeling much more comfortable that the rider on the right is a woman.

Would love to hear what you guys think of this.

none of these looks like a woman:

2016-10-1814_58_14-roixstx.png

Coffinhal

Dang. Image quality looks so clean...It's going to be so good playing through the story again!

The game really was ahead of its time for two things that allows it to age very well in my opinion : the quality of the lighting system, the diversity of the details everywhere including the models, which are perfectly animated and feel real. Each location really had its mood.

And we don't see it on the screens but the sound design is absolutely stunning because, once again, of its density, details and the mood that it gives.

Shredderi

The second character from the left to the right could very well be the girl riding the horse on the trailer.

To me it looks obvious that it's a man with a stache. And what girl? I don't recall any girl riding a horse in the trailer?

Wow, that was beautiful. Love the new forest scenery. Fall 2017 feels so far away now.

Early spring 2018 is going to feel even more far away
Pls no

Spider-Vice

Neo Member
Welcome good sir!!!
Thanks, glad to be around!

Man, the old RDR OT got bumped in the Gaming Community so I just started reading it for old time's sake..surprised to see myself show up on page 2. lol The gem so far, and currently reading on page 6, is how Pachter said the game would underperform and be unappealing to Europeans because it was a western and US gamers won't take to it as much because the most powerful weapon in the game is a mounted gatling gun. lol
Oh, I remember the Pachter days from GTA IV too. Is he even still around?

Simo

This is what i questioned earlier. The guy that had you shooting vultures, right?

Hmmm it could be a possibility but a lot of Rickett's adventures were during Marston's childhood that he heard growing up but reading the wiki and it sounds like he was involved in some major events and gunfights in the 1890s where RDR2 likely takes place.

Ricketts and Marston didn't meet though till RDR and since it's all but confirmed that we'll be seeing or playing as someone in Dutch's gang it could probably rule out playing as Ricketts? There's also the unfortunate thing that Ross Hagen, Ricketts' VA, passed away a few years ago so they'd have to recast.

EDIT: Love these GTAForums folks who dig to try and piece together the landmarks and geography of the game world and map.

Basically someone was using the idea of New Orleans or New Bordeaux on the leaked map as a reference and then the trailer to actual buildings in New Orleans' French Quarter that were built and expanded up in the 1820s. lol

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So, we went from nothing about the game to pre-order a year or whatever before release. You'd think there would be a bonus for that ;)

etta

my hard graphic balls
I wonder if this is an attempt by them to get the franchise as big as GTA, building the type of hype that propagates and lasts for extended periods, the type that only GTA is good enough for.
Then at release it's like this massive bomb is dropped, creating a splash that reaches all kinds of audience. RIP any other games releasing November 2017.

Lady Gaia

Just saw the trailer during the commercial break on Sunday Night Football, lol.

Likewise. That's absolutely crazy, but they must have a full year of progressive promotion planned. Like many movies get an early teaser to build interest and then slowly trickle out information leading up to the first full trailer.

I wonder if this is an attempt by them to get the franchise as big as GTA, building the type of hype that propagates and lasts for extended periods, the type that only GTA is good enough for.
Then at release it's like this massive bomb is dropped, creating a splash that reaches all kinds of audience. RIP any other games releasing November 2017.

The last game sold 14m units. I don't expect it to get up to GTA level (at least not to the level of V) as I think the modern setting is a huge part of what's made it as big as it is, but I could see it doing 20m+.

Yeah, it probably won't be GTA V level but it's still going to be huge off the popularity of the last game and the marketing hype Rockstar puts into it, I don't think 10 million in 2017 is out of the realm of possibility, actually the first 30 days (GTA V did over 11M in its first 24 hours) is entirely possible and I don't think that's a stretch and probably more likely, assuming it gets released in either late September to early November and not the end of November which would make that guess redundant. It'll be a massive release barring the game being a disaster or them doing some bullshit.

Simo

Yeah the trailer dropped during The Walking Dead and Talking Dead too. lol

This is madness! All signs (an announced fall 2017 release date) point to a 2018 release.

Fall 2017 release announced so all signs point to a 2018 release? Ok then. lol RDR only got a delay of 3 weeks and fall/autumn is a pretty generous timeline from September to December.

bj00rn_

Banned
Beautiful.. It's some kind of magic happening when the best budgets and the best talents are perfectly aligned. But then it's all ruined by trying to suck Sony's dick and milking for double dips.. For a lot of fans of Rockstar games "on the wrong platform" there's going to be a long annoying wait until the next announcement.

Anyone else expect them to do the gta5 dynamic character switching ?

I think it would work pretty well switching between your gang and giving each of them unique personalities .

*Jaw drops* This is better than I ever could've imagined.

Holy shit will it be worth the wait.

I just hope they expand the ability tie up random NPCs and strap them to horses. There needs to be more we can do after that. You know, for... reasons.

I really do hope that they expand on how the original RDR handled entry and exit wounds, physics etc.

RDR and Max Payne 3 definitely felt a lot more impactful in terms of gunshots than GTA V did.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This is a Western - we need that emotional impact of just 1 character.

What are you talking about...? XD

Tons of the greatest Westerns ever made had multiple protagonists: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly; Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid; The Wild Bunch; Once Upon a Time in the West; El Dorado; For a Few Dollars More; Duck, You Sucker!; 3:10 to Yuma; The Magnificent Seven; Rio Bravo; My Name is Nobody; No Country for Old Men etc.

I mean, I could go on! The switch mechanic is perfect for this. I just hope they improve on it because it was undercooked.

i don't really care whether or not it's one character or 3 (that should be the limit though, I don't want to be stretched so thin when I start free roaming more) but i really hope they keep the narrative involving the characters tight.

GTA V story was alright but it could have been better. I was more involved with Marston's story than I was any GTA one.

TVexperto

Nothing about that trailer seems impossible to achieve, even on consoles. Maybe the IQ will take dip on regular PS4 vs the pro.

gtav.jpg

people keep forgetting that also the tree densitiy in the gta v trailer was way higher than in the game released. i just want to say dont trust the trailers...even when its rockstar.

UrbanRats

i don't really care whether or not it's one character or 3 (that should be the limit though, I don't want to be stretched so thin when I start free roaming more) but i really hope they keep the narrative involving the characters tight.

GTA V story was alright but it could have been better. I was more involved with Marston's story than I was any GTA one.
GTAV's story was a mess, because it didn't go anywhere, but think the 3 characters thing didn't have too much to do with it, it was just bad planning and writing.
Even RDR could've used A LOT of trimming with its story, that halts to a stop in the middle part (the whole Mexico thing just went on forever).
In this sense though, at least GTAV was more respectful of your time with its main missions, you didn't have many repeats, and a lot of them introduced some gimmick to keep it fresh... in RDR you had so fucking many "kill waves of enemies" missions, and after the first act, where you're working in the farm and shit, the creativity in terms of missions design took a nose dive.

Zero percent chance it looks that good.

Doesn't look far off from the GTAV remaster, and RDR usually has less shit going on under the hood.

gtav.jpg

people keep forgetting that also the tree densitiy in the gta v trailer was way higher than in the game released. i just want to say dont trust the trailers...even when its rockstar.
True, but on the other hand, RDR looked pretty much exactly like its trailers.
I just don't think R* is in the business of having bullshit trailers, what you posted is a screeshot, infact.

Even taking GTAV, the trailers showed a significant downgrade through time, if you look at the debut trailer and then the one with Skeletons in the Closet, the graphical downgrade is obvious, and from then on, the graphics kept going up and down, so i think they were really trying to fit in the console more than it could handle.

Too bad many of those things never came back, even in the remaster (the trees, the per-object motion blur).

So i'm with you in saying don't trust trailers, but i'll also say that R* don't have too bad of a track record, when it comes to that.

Also, incidentally the bottom shot you posted IS from a trailer.

GTAV's story was a mess, because it didn't go anywhere, but think the 3 characters thing didn't have too much to do with it, it was just bad planning and writing.
Even RDR could've used A LOT of trimming with its story, that halts to a stop in the middle part (the whole Mexico thing just went on forever).
In this sense though, at least GTAV was more respectful of your time with its main missions, you didn't have many repeats, and a lot of them introduced some gimmick to keep it fresh... in RDR you had so fucking many "kill waves of enemies" missions, and after the first act, where you're working in the farm and shit, the creativity in terms of missions design took a nose dive.

haven't played it since release haha so maybe nostalgia is making it sound great to me but i seemed to really be into John's arc at the time and particularly that bold ending switching perspectives. and i was holding back on GTA V, the story really was a forgettable mess. but as a big fan of the sopranos i enjoyed how much Michael's stuff ripped it off lol.

Just saw a PlayStation commercial of the trailer on TV.

Oh, wow, Sony going all in! I keep getting RDR2 ads from Rockstar on Youtube. I can't believe there is so much advertising for a game that has only had a minimal announcement thus far - but, well, it's Rockstar, and Red Dead Redemption 2.

...I'm primarily complaining because I'm always compelled to watch the full ad each time it shows up. Just gorgeous.

Top Bottom