• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit "Above the Game" PUA Kickstarter achieves 800% funding, criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

thumbs_hornoxe.com_pidfkom.jpg

thx, reddit

Vagabundo

I pity the poor SOB who is awkward enough to buy into this shit. He'll end up in chains before he can blink.

EDIT:

What happens if someone doing The Game meets someone doing The Rules?

TruckDriver

Neo Member
Here are some guys in the seduction community that talk more about self improvement as well as how to pick up women. Also they have almost 200 podcast episodes of free stuff.

http://pickuppodcast.com/
Their most popular article on there is "She Has a Boyfriend… Who Cares?". That's not really showing me the 'bright and sunny side' of PUAs.

(http://pickuppodcast.com/2009/01/07/she-has-a-boyfriend-who-cares/)

I do get annoyed that if a guy isn't born out of the womb knowing how to talk to a girl he's demonized but then guys who go get advice about how to be better with women are still made fun off. If a girl reads the Rules books no one bats an eye lid even though from what I've seen there's far more psychological manipulation in those books than the Game. That said I only read a synopsis of each chapter in one of those books and not any of the actual books so I don't truly have an informed opinion. A lot of women say x, y and z about the Game and haven't read it, if you've actually read it you'd see it's more of a memoir than a self help book.it shows the self destructive elements of the PUA community as well as the self improvement parts of it.

"Born out of the womb knowing"? Lol. Dude, no one is 'born' knowing how to talk to women. Socializing, be it with men or women, is a skill you have to develop. It takes you getting out of your comfort zone, taking a chance and striking up a conversation with someone. Sometimes you'll succeed, and this person will want to talk you more or get to know you better, but most times you'll fail. And that's okay! It helps you build confidence, and develop a callous to a fear of failure.

Yeah, some people are more naturally social than others. I wasn't social as a kid - I was fat, lonely nerd. But I learned how to be social by challenging myself to get out more, meet more people (not just women!) and live a more varied, fulfilled life. Using 'Game' does not get you that. You don't need a manual, a seminar, or a guy in a funny hat to tell you that. And when you see people as mere objectives and not, you know, people, how can you expect to grow as a person?

What did your sister think about it?

Funny you ask. I never actually asked about it, or her conclusion.

She did however comment that she thinks most individuals in the book were self-destructive but eventually became a fan of Style for his perspective.

I believe however that people that posses such manipulativs skills will always remain questionable and untrustworthy.

cacophony

please tell me this pick up artist forum is a joke lmao

how can these dudes be so thirsty. turning into sociopaths to get women

Bleepey

Their most popular article on there is "She Has a Boyfriend… Who Cares?". That's not really showing me the 'bright and sunny side' of PUAs.

(http://pickuppodcast.com/2009/01/07/she-has-a-boyfriend-who-cares/)

"Born out of the womb knowing"? Lol. Dude, no one is 'born' knowing how to talk to women. Socializing, be it with men or women, is a skill you have to develop. It takes you getting out of your comfort zone, taking a chance and striking up a conversation with someone. Sometimes you'll succeed, and this person will want to talk you more or get to know you better, but most times you'll fail. And that's okay! It helps you build confidence, and develop a callous to a fear of failure.

Yeah, some people are more naturally social than others. I wasn't social as a kid - I was fat, lonely nerd. But I learned how to be social by challenging myself to get out more, meet more people (not just women!) and live a more varied, fulfilled life. Using 'Game' does not get you that. You don't need a manual, a seminar, or a guy in a funny hat to tell you that. And when you see people as mere objectives and not, you know, people, how can you expect to grow as a person?

I never visited their site i only listened to their podcast about two years ago. The podcast stuff talks about stuff i mentioned about. As for confidence being needed, no shit. Some guys may have the balls to say hello but not able to hold a conversation shit takes practice and some guys need more help than others. Some guys are naturally very social and can talk to women easily, others may need a book to teach them stuff like demonstrating higher value. Some shit that's obvious to to some is oblivious to others. Whether you wanna call it charisma or game. It's easy to paint a picture of all self-styled PUAs as seeing women as nothing more than a notch on the belt. I am not gonna pretend that there aren't. That said i don't see why a guy reading a book on how to improve his chances with women makes him a guy who sees them as nothing more than notches on their belt. Hell they can learn to understand women better, this was something women who went to the signing claimed as well.

It is interesting. Like most things there is a grain of truth in PUA, I imagine if you approach lots of women, eventually you'll get better at it. I also imagine by looking at the various ways guys do it some will be more successful than others. So in theory it should lead somewhere, and maybe it does.

A lot of it reads, really, really strangely though. I wonder if people really try to apply this stuff or its just a lot of pontificating, because its difficult to imagine doing some of this stuff in the real world.

Darklord

Banned
This guy sounds like a full on rapist creep. I feel sorry for the socially shy guys who really want to be nice to women but fall into this guys bullshit thinking that's how to get a girl.

Lucario

Kickstarter is extremely bad at shutting down projects that are obvious scams/extremely offensive, even if said project flagrantly violates the website's ToS.

They're terrified their service will drift into irrelevance if projects start getting shut down after funding comes through -- project starters losing faith in the service would be terrible for their bottom line, and, in some ways, I couldn't blame them for not shutting down the infamous "send a billionaire venture capitalist's daughter to a CS camp" kickstarter. Sure, its existence was infuriating, and the fact that it received funding was more than a little disappointing, but I can see Kickstarter's position -- giving into mob mentality, in that situation, could have harmed their company.

This isn't a scam, however.

It's a guidebook telling aspiring pick up artists -- misguided (if not downright misogynistic) teens, most of them too socially awkward to talk to girls on their own terms -- to SEXUALLY ASSAULT PEOPLE.

This is the point where I draw the line. It's harmful to society, it's harmful to the target audience, and, obviously, it's most harmful to the women who are targeted with these manipulative and forceful tactics.

I'm not here to argue if is guidebook is wrong -- it is. That's a goddamn fact any reasonable person can understand. Grabbing a woman's hand and forcing it on your genitals is sexual assault. "Negging" is also a ridiculous practice, and before you condemn me as a misandrist, I would find it equally reprehensible to see women using these practices on men.

All I'm saying is, Kickstarter seems to have reached the point where profits matter more than basic morality. This will harm their company moving forward.

Small business owners are not going to want their projects funded on the same platform as Men's Rights advocates, pick up artists, and venture capital scams.

jonnyp

This guy seems like the same douchebag who came onto my ex while she was sitting on my lap at a bar in Long Island. Some men really need help.

spock

The whole PUA thing is a mixed bag. Not my thing but I have read and known a fair amount of people in the scene. Yes, you have guys who are jerks, etc. But there is a VERY large part that just want to have the confidence and skills to connect with women in socially normal ways.

Most of the tactics, etc are really done just to create exposure so the person gets to a point where they are just socially comfortable around the opposite sex. Sure there are sleaze bags who just want to fuck lots of girls, but there are just as many who want to date lots of girls and find a relationship at some point.

Now regarding some of the stuff mentioned in the OP in regards to "touch" (not talking about the dick part) is not really what it sounds like. From what I understand its not that you want to just randomly start touching and grabbing the girl, etc. Its something you do gradually to indicate your interested. I think its more like a simple touch on the wrist or hands, etc. Which you gradually increase if shes into it. Some dudes may be misunderstanding what these guys are teaching. I don't think your suppose to force the girl on your lap if everything shes doing conflicts with that (words,body, eyes, etc.)

Dominance is a big factor and in many cases is effective, but its respectful dominance. Your leading the situation, but only if shes complying and giving off the right ques. Your pretty much leveraging the primal sides of the sexes.

Really lots of the stuff comes down to more advanced communication skills (multiple levels)which In many cases means CONSCIOUSLY using non verbal skills which are a huge part in human interaction.

imBask

Banned
exploiting depressed people throught Kickstarter to make some easy money, anyone really surprised by that?

Breaking news : people are dumb

Munin

The guy's advice referenced in the OP really isn't inherently wrong, just a bit crassly phrased. The issue is though, socially well adjusted, confident guys inherently know when they can start to get a bit more touchy feely in the interaction, and they know the signs that tell them to stop or go further. But put that info in the hands of basement dwellers who've never even held a conversation with a girl before...and you can see where this is going.

Karkador

Banned
I never visited their site i only listened to their podcast about two years ago. The podcast stuff talks about stuff mentioned about. As for confidence being needed, no shit. Some guys may have the balls to say hello but not able to hold a conversation shit takes practice and some guys need more help than others. Some guys are naturally very social and can talk to women easily, others may need a book to teach them stuff like demonstrating higher value.

The problem in all the PUA / 'self improvement' things I've seen is that it operates on a standard that women are utterly different from men, almost like aliens that men need to study and carefully measure out their interactions with.

Instead of, you know, treating women like fellow human beings who respond positively or negatively to many of the same things you'd respond positively or negatively to. That is, unless you're one of those people who think sexual assault by women is hot and irresistible, in which case you have an overall problem interacting with society, not just dating women.

There are ways to make good impressions on people, and they're not very complicated rules, nor manipulative or restricted to courting women. PUA advice essentially churns out the same type of pseudo-likeable male with the same bag of tricks.

Also, DHV (demonstrating higher value) is still kind of manipulative and encourages lying and other bullshit that doesn't represent who the person actually is.

Some shit that's obvious to to some is oblivious to others. Whether you wanna call it charisma or game. It's easy to paint a picture of all self-styled PUAs as seeing women as nothing more than a notch on the belt. I am not gonna pretend that there aren't. That said i don't see why a guy reading a book on how to improve his chances with women makes him a guy who sees them as nothing more than notches on their belt. Hell they can learn to understand women better, this was something women who went to the signing claimed as well.

Again, the problem is not that people had sex, it's that PUA encourages men to dig their heels into a playground idea that women are incomprehensible alien things rather than people. It's not that there's something awkward and unappealing about you as a person, or that you hide the interesting things about you away from women for whatever reason, nooo... it's just that women need to be decoded, seduced, conquered, and gamed.

PUA literature is the aspergians guide to human interaction. It's like learning to swim or ride a bike by reading how to swim or ride a bike.

Bleepey

The problem in all the PUA / 'self improvement' things I've seen is that it operates on a standard that women are utterly different from men, almost like aliens that men need to study and carefully measure out their interactions with.

Instead of, you know, treating women like fellow human beings who respond positively or negatively to many of the same things you'd respond positively or negatively to. That is, unless you're one of those people who think sexual assault by women is hot and irresistible, in which case you have an overall problem interacting with society, not just dating women.

There are ways to make good impressions on people, and they're not very complicated rules, nor manipulative or restricted to courting women. PUA advice essentially churns out the same type of pseudo-likeable male with the same bag of tricks.

Also, DHV (demonstrating higher value) is still kind of manipulative and encourages lying and other bullshit that doesn't represent who the person actually is.

Again, the problem is not that people had sex, it's that PUA encourages men to dig their heels into a playground idea that women are incomprehensible alien things rather than people. It's not that there's something awkward and unappealing about you as a person, or that you hide the interesting things about you away from women for whatever reason, nooo... it's just that women need to be decoded, seduced, conquered, and gamed.

DHV can range from walking into a club with an army of Swedish supermodels to just not looking like you're out on the pull and talking to everyone you see guy or girl. I don't think that it's as easy as you make it out to be when it comes to the opposite sex. Remember that rape thread based on that advert about what women wear? Some shit that seems logical in some women's head might not be too men. A guy may see a girl putting effort into her appearance more than might be usually expected at a club and think she is out to meet guy, girls will say it just means they are wearing what they feel comfortable. Some guys may not notice when a girl likes them and may need to be told and or taught what to look out for.

The guy's advice referenced in the OP really isn't inherently wrong, just a bit crassly phrased. The issue is though, socially well adjusted, confident guys inherently know when they can start to get a bit more touchy feely in the interaction, and they know the signs that tell them to stop or go further. But put that info in the hands of basement dwellers who've never even held a conversation with a girl before...and you can see where this is going.

Apart from the inciting people to commit sex crimes?

Darklord

Banned
The guy's advice referenced in the OP really isn't inherently wrong, just a bit crassly phrased.

It's beyond that. It's not just "be confident and push forward and don't just sit there all night". It's telling you to ignore the rejection signals and try and basically sexually assault them. Grabbing their hand and forcing them to hold your dick? That's fucked up.

Some of this advice flies and some of it does not. There are way too many variables to entertain. In other words, there isn't an instruction manual on how to pick up women. Fortune favors the bold, I believe, definitely. You'll find that mostly the uninhibited have no problems with picking up women (which is why alcohol helps).

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Anyone else gonna admit to buying into that David DeAngelo stuff back in the day? The 'Double Your Dating' ebook and the 'Interviews With Dating Gurus' CDs? He was really popular 10 or so years ago. His stuff wasn't nearly this creepy though.

windz

Oh my god LOL I'm laughing so hard because the "grab her hand and put it on your dick" line is so ridiculous. Worst advice ever.

Kemal86

what are some other dodgy kickstarters that got funded?

The "Send my daughter to RPGMaker Camp" one where the mother appears to be an established scam artist comes to mind, there's a million page thread on it over on gaming side. People who reported the kickstarter got their accounts suspended for submitting false reports / clogging up the report system.

Darklord

Banned
what are some other dodgy kickstarters that got funded?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/susanwilson/9-year-old-building-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w

The mum is a multimillionaire known for doing scammy shit to be begin with, a lot of people complained but KS ignored it and she ended up with thousands.

Also the latest update is
Last Day: LET’S NAME SOME TROLLS!

UPDATE: Whether it’s someone you love, someone you hate or someone you love to hate, check out the latest update and help us name at least five trolls.

Wtf?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think it's interesting that he wanted to manufacture controversy and in fact reveled in it. Shows how difficult it is to fight this stuff, when fighting it promotes it.

Carcetti

The guy's advice referenced in the OP really isn't inherently wrong, just a bit crassly phrased.

No, it's actually advice encouraging sexual assault. If you don't see anything wrong with it, I suggest you take a long hard look at yourself.

Karkador

Banned
DHV can range from walking into a club with an army of Swedish supermodels to just not looking like you're out on the pull and talking to everyone you see guy or girl. I don't think that it's as easy as you make it out to be when it comes to the opposite sex. Remember that rape thread based on that advert about what women wear? Some shit that seems logical in some women's head might not be too men. A guy may see a girl putting effort into her appearance more than might be usually expected at a club and think she is out to meet guy, girls will say it just means they are wearing what they feel comfortable. Some guys may not notice when a girl likes them and may need to be told and or taught what to look out for.

Err, what...I'm having trouble following why you've cited a rape ad to illustrate why men have trouble with dating.

iammeiam

I think it's interesting that he wanted to manufacture controversy and in fact reveled in it. Shows how difficult it is to fight this stuff, when fighting it promotes it.

It is gross that his repeated attempts to get Jezebel to post it were smart--his target audience probably faithfully hate-reads the site, so getting posted there would be just the free publicity he needed.

Of course, his attempts were pathetically transparent enough they don't make him seem like much of a smooth operator, so.

ciridesu

Can't we just y'know treat woman like human beings. Fuck sake.

This. If I was interested in some random hot girl, then I certainly wouldn't be opposed to her touching me and being seductive; I wouldn't want a random fat girl doing the same to me though.

PUA is so dumb. How hard is it to just be normal and first try to establish interest in the girl and go on from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom