• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit user shares fanmade concept/renders for a Super Mario (American) Football game

Blues1990

I've been itching to play a solid arcade sports game, similar to NBA Street or Mutant League Football, so a Mario-themed American Football game seems like a no brainer.

Also, seeing Peach shoulder checking Donkey Kong would be a funny sight.

Shizza

This looks fantastic! I love and miss the old school arcade-style sports games like: NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey, etc. Basing sports games around the Nintendo franchises instead of real life ones could keep them fresh by only having say one of each entry per console (say Football one year, followed by baseball the next year, followed by soccer, etc).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Might be the only way to sell a football game without the NFL license.

Too bad it will never happen, since the sport's popularity is too specific to North America.

Velcro Fly

all well and good until Mario tears an ACL trying to juke some koopa troopas and then we get another year of fucking Luigi

Vibranium

Banned
Honestly, I think Mario football could do really well even without Europe or Japan. Give Next Level Games it (they've got the sports resume). Maybe make it digital only to cut costs or something.

It would fill the hole of arcade football and give people relief from Madden.

Het_Nkik

Somebody made fan renders of a Mario game that actually looks like a Mario game? That's the most impressive thing about this I think.

Roo

Watch Nintendo send a C&D to the reddit user because he or she is using their characters or their likeness. ;p

Like MCN said, as long as you don't make money using their property they won't say anything to you.
Otherwise sites like The Model Resource wouldn't exist :p

Nintendo characters are usually the best way to start learning 3D modeling due to their rather simplistic nature.

This is about 5 years too late. With all the controversy surrounding football and CTE as of late there's no way Nintendo would endorse such a sport.

ffdgh

Never been a football person...but I'd give this a shot if it were real.
and chaotic as heck like strikers charged

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Not football but the new Mario and Sonic at the Olympics has Rugby Sevens.

WiiU_MarioandSonicATRio2016OlympicGames_scrn02.jpg

Also a 41 character roster.

Sonic not fast enough for Mario.

I can see them modifying that into a NFL Street style game.

I've wanted a Mario football game for forever, and ESPECIALLY since the Wii U GamePad.

Somebody give me a football game where I can draw my own plays, you fucking assholes!

I would play the hell out of this. I'm kind of surprised they never did this on the Gamecube or Wii. I know American Football is... well, limited mostly to America, but I think it would have done well enough, at least on the Wii.

qcf x2

This is about 5 years too late. With all the controversy surrounding football and CTE as of late there's no way Nintendo would endorse such a sport.

Ridiculous. In Mario Kart you shoot drivers to make them crash at high speeds. I'd love to see them do a football game. I'm disappointed that there aren't any from high profile developers. Madden has the NFL license but consumers should still get some kind of option.

I'm really perplexed by this.

I mean, the violence argument went out the window with Strikers (and how), so that can't be it.

Retro wanted to make a Mario Football game back when they were first formed, but I believe Nintendo insisted that they make a realistic Madden competitor instead (the game was eventually canned either way). My guess is that football is not a big enough sport worldwide for a Japanese country to attach Mario to.

mario-football-retro-studios-gamecube.jpg

Might be the only way to sell a football game without the NFL license.

Too bad it will never happen, since the sport's popularity is too specific to North America.

I think it could work worldwide even with footballs lack of popularity outside of the US. The approach would inevitably be quite simple and arcadey, so you really wouldn't need to know the ins and outs of the sport. And people are always talking about how Nintendo needs to do more to appeal to the US, so this would be an obvious way to do that. Nintendo characters and gameplay with football would almost certainly be a big seller here. So even if it did bomb outside of the US, what it did here would make up for that.

dammit i want this. my main would be Daisy
Retro wanted to make a Mario Football game back when they were first formed, but I believe Nintendo insisted that they make a realistic Madden competitor instead (the game was eventually canned either way). My guess is that football is not a big enough sport worldwide for a Japanese country to attach Mario to.

mario-football-retro-studios-gamecube.jpg
Bruh bu bu but Eyeshield 21

brawly

This looks amazing. I'd be all over an arcade football game, don't like the NFL games. Put this on the NX and I'm buying one.

The renders are impressive and I really love the design of the Stadium.

I dont know if american football would work as a super fast arcade mario type game though. Doesnt it have lots of stops during a play where you need to do tactics and all that jazz?
Ive only seen matches a few times on tv as an european, so pardon my ignorance, maybe american know how to transform it into a faster type of game suited for arcade sessions and that it can sell around the whole world.

Top Bottom