• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redditor finds out her Secret Santa is Bill Gates, among the gifts is Zelda stuff

Eblo

A Zelda picture frame with Link and Zelda made with perler beads. The picture in the frame was the redditor, her husband, her dog, and a photoshopped Bill Gates all with photoshopped santa hats on.

This is my favorite part of all this stuff. Bill's a chill dude.

Regiruler

It's kind of incredible that bill still has such a profound amount of personal wealth (even after committing so much to charity) that he has no idea what to do with it other than to give lavish gifts to people he doesn't even know.

LQX

This is how you can tell someone is a show-off. Everyone is looking for NEC Classic and he gifts one as a Secret Santa as if it is nothing to brag about. Moreover, he could have sold it on Ebay for 5X its cost and bought her maybe XB1 when they were on sale to really impress the hell out of her.

Also, why does stories like this only happen to people on Reddit? Never anyone else.

This is how you can tell someone is a show-off. Everyone is looking for NEC Classic and he gifts one as a Secret Santa as if it is nothing to brag about. Moreover, he could have sold it on Ebay for 5X its cost and bought her maybe XB1 when they were on sale to really impress the hell out of her.

Err..she got an Xbox One.

Madame M

Banned
It's a good thing the letter thoroughly explains why she got a big package of stuff from Bill because if I got that without the full explanation it would really creep me out. Microsoft - always watching!!

I also like the XBox promotional tie in, Bill sure knows how bidness is done!

HowZatOZ

Banned

Also, why does stories like this only happen to people on Reddit? Never anyone else.
She got both an Xbox One and NES Classic...

And it happened on Reddit because it was Reddit handled. I'm not exactly sure why you asked that question?

Lovely story, ty for the tldr version - As nice as this is, that fucking wall of complete and utter gibberish was painful to try to read, much appreciated.

Like honesty, what are you going on about?

Alienfan

It's crazy how quickly Bill's image changed after he left Microsoft and became a philanthropist instead. People tend to forget ruthless business Bill and the absurd abuses of market dominance MSFT partook in during the 90s. What's remarkable though, is after making more money than anyone else in the world, he didn't just sit back and play golf. He realized he was in a very powerful and unprecedented position, and decided he could do a lot of good for the world. And that he certainly has.

hohoXD123

Not sure which meme this joke post is referencing.

Yes, give me a NEC classic.

Alienfan

Is this just a completely random thing, or is he thanking her for something?

It's Reddit's Secret Santa. You're randomly given a user and a user is given your name. So, yes, that means some poor reddit user had to get Bill Gates a gift lol
I wish GAF did something similar.

I've been so curious about the Reddit secret Santa, but theres so many stories of people signing up and sending a gift, and not getting anything in return because they got burned by some asshole who didn't reciprocate. Posts like this one though make me feel happy :)

It's Reddit's Secret Santa. You're randomly given a user and a user is given your name. So, yes, that means some poor reddit user had to get Bill Gates a gift lol
I wish GAF did something similar.

GAF aint got that Bill Gates money LMAO

Nah, but they could definitely afford to do something like this.

Is this just a completely random thing, or is he thanking her for something?

Bill Gates has participated in reddit's secret santa for a few years now, you sign up and get assigned a person (worldwide) and get some info on them (stuff they like, dislike, family, pets, etc) and send them a present (most people spend $5-20) and hopefully someone did the same to you too. I've participated every year, its very cool and fun even if you don't get anything you usually see posts by the person you sent something to.

Alienfan

I've been so curious about the Reddit secret Santa, but theres so many stories of people signing up and sending a gift, and not getting anything in return because they got burned by some asshole who didn't reciprocate. Posts like this one though make me feel happy :)

You'll probably not get anything the first time, but the second year (granted you sent something) you'll only get paired up with people who followed through the year before. I could be wrong, but that's how some of the subreddit's handle it.

ElRenoRaven

WOW!!

Bill Gates seems like a cool cat. Always has. Yea business wise he was ruthless but it's business. Who wouldn't be? But he does seem down to earth as hell with all the charity stuff his wife and him do.

jediyoshi

Wow you outdid the post from the other page. GAF's really steppin it up.

Fox318

NGIlrsw.jpg

Top Bottom