• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall: Summoning and Slaying The Rook - IGN First Gameplay

Topher

Gold Member
You'll see. If you don't see the early trends, you'll start to see it after Redfall. COD will also fall into that category if the deal goes through. Microsoft is in the business of making money. 25 million subscribers = in game purchase low budget AA games. When they get 100 million subs, that's when we will start seeing in game purchase AAA games. I just don't see them ever reaching that sub though. They will go 3rd party by then and get rid of Gamepass.
Jonah Hill Ok GIF

Imtjnotu

You'll see. If you don't see the early trends, you'll start to see it after Redfall. COD will also fall into that category if the deal goes through. Microsoft is in the business of making money. 25 million subscribers = in game purchase low budget AA games. When they get 100 million subs, that's when we will start seeing in game purchase AAA games. I just don't see them ever reaching that sub though. They will go 3rd party by then and get rid of Gamepass.
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Land Of Make Believe Wow GIF

DaGwaphics

Went ahead and watched it. Idk what all the negativity is about. Guns look great to me, especially the pistols. It’s hard to judge the gameplay when I don’t know shit about the powers being used or gameplay mechanics at play.

I typically take any of these co-op game videos with a grain of salt because one of two things always seem to happen. One or more of the people playing seem like they don’t have a clue what to do or what is going on and it makes the entire sequence look worse, which is what is happening here. Or you could have a case like IGN with Evolve where their previews were all done at cool press events where they’re all near one another and it makes the game seem like a super casual fun co-op experience when the reality was the exact opposite and you had to rely on near perfect play and communication to beat good monster users.

Luckily this is coming to GamePass and we can all just play it. It’s Arkane, it’ll be great. I’m going to dive in SP and maybe do co-op down the line.

It's certainly true that the usual suspects are judging this clip too harshly. Especially given that this is a coop style game, so, in some instances where the AI is not responding to shots at their back they may already be engaged with one of the dudes teammates from the front and so on. Since there is no rubber-banding/tethering here (or at least that's what they've said), flanking will certainly be an often employed technique I'm sure. I wonder if there will even be instances where it is beneficial for achieving objectives to have a few of the squad in one spot drawing attention while a lone wolf is off doing something else. Could be an interesting dynamic if they get creative with it.

@Balducci30 I hear you about the outlining and highlighting of the characters, I've never much cared for that. Other than maybe just on your teammates.

im someone who had major doubts about the game, then started to like the way it looked...then starting doubting it again lol..and a friend of mine got a chance to test it and he swears it was amazing(We debate it constantly)

I hate GaaS games and the enemies kinda have that same wonky tank vibe I get from those games(And hate about them) but we'll see. This particular video does seem to be a mix of A) The AI completely sucks on the enemies and B) IGN did a terrible job of playing it + the video editing is distractin as hell. I still plan to be there to try it on PC Day One, but I have my reservations

I liked some of the vids last year when they started diving into the powers/abilities of the players a bit but something still just seems a bit off. I love Arkanes games including Deathloop

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah those Dan comments are not good at all. Such a shame. Well. This is what Bethesda wanted them to make and MS obviously let them continue developing it.

I guess it's get this out the door, those heads will probably leave as they take the heat for this game not being good and will have to see what the studio comes up with next.

What I do find funny, is fanboys that literally spend their life attacking the competing platform to the point of investing time and energy in creating videos, taking clips from podcasts, making podcasts to literally rip the other platform. We see it from all sides, I think the only ones that don't have it are PC and Nintendo? It just seems to be xbox guys and playstation guys...so weird.

Always seems to happen while there aren't games on their platform too. We saw it with the stupid god of war clips showing the same animations, now redfall, before it wqs hi fi rush would have been on all platforms....etc etc.

What a strange life to lead.

DeepSpace5D

It’s a first-person shooter, so it will live and die by how the gunplay feels at the end of the day. Imho, the movement speed of the character you control seems a little sluggish. Not the most flattering gameplay demonstration video for sure, but I’ll reserve judgment for now.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Don't you remember that was also planned for ps5 but microsoft told them to stop working on the PlayStation version? How can you use redfall for a "microsoft trend theory" when arkane was doing a multiplatform game and for what we know even without being on gamepass?

Topher

Gold Member
Don't you remember that was also planned for ps5 but microsoft told them to stop working on the PlayStation version? How can you use redfall for a "microsoft trend theory" when arkane was doing a multiplatform game and for what we know even without being on gamepass?

Apparently "it was altered and cutdown to fit Game Pass". His "eyes" told him so........which is also weird because we never ever saw the game until after the Bethesda acquisition.

If it smells like bullshit then it probably is.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

I haven't been keeping up with this game at all and I'm kinda shocked that it looks so visually bland.
As for the gameplay... it's kinda hard to make a call on it when the player clearly had no idea what they were doing... but it's not looking too hot.

Ansphn

Yeah but we don't know how long ago that was. Might have been very early in the development cycle.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
AI complaints are valid if the AI is just straight up not working, but it is clear they are going for the "dumb AI" they exists in all of these games where they have to be constantly trickable in order to allow the player to have some control over the world.

. . . like what GB (whatever that is) is describing clearly sounds like a bug, unless ARKANE just completely forgot how to make NPCs that respond to player interference in their game worlds.

That's the most passive aggressive boss I've ever seen in a game.

Not really what that phrase means. And I'm not sure how you get that when the rook was all over the person who was actually engaging him in combat.

Kokoloko85

Arkane’s a pretty busy studio. Pumping out games every 2 years. They might not be masterpieces but there have a good work rate it seems

DaGwaphics

AI in Super Metroid isn’t blowing any minds either and it’s the best game of all time.

Maybe it’s fun and have a cool map to explore idk 🤷‍♂️

Looks like a 5/10 here though but it’s on Gamepass so no reason to not try it at least.

IKR even in games that are heralded as being great, if you took a video and examined the AI movements there will generally be a lot of intentional stupidity there. LOL

They will create and repeat patterns that allow you to progress, especially in any game that incorporates stealth (we all know how blind all those guards will ultimately be).

I've enjoyed games that are all over the place in style, production value, etc. Let's see if it is a fun one.

StereoVsn

Man, Arkane used to be one of my favorite devs…

Why in god’s name did they decide to produce this awful looking concept
Because their publisher said "Make as a GaaS game or else" after the last titles didn't sell. Then MS bought Zenimax and they tried to pivot a bit. And now who the f knows what this is.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

AI is a specific way in Arkane games to let you have fun with abilities/ powers.

Imagine if they made Boboklins super smart in LOZ: Breath of the Wild. Player will look like a fool trying to experiment with it's physics system.

That makes sense if your actual opponent is the environment, as in other Arkane games, and the AI is just there to shoot and swing.

But here the environment is incidental and deemphasized, so the enemy AI should be commensurately more advanced.

And it isn't.

Last edited:
That makes sense if your actual opponent is the environment, as in other Arkane games, and the AI is just there to shoot and swing.

But here the environment is incidental and deemphasized, so the enemy AI should be commensurately more advanced.

And it isn't.

Could be true.

I will wait to play it before making a judgement.

I will be playing it with a couple of Arkane fanboys. If we are unable to find fun, so be it. I will say so.

Pelta88

The trajectory of this thread is so familiar and down pat, it should be trademarked...

1. Microsoft announces AA game and shows of a CGI trailer
2. CGI trailers and pre rendered in game cut scenes until the year of release
3. Actual gameplay is shown which looks nothing like the CGI
4. Gamers react poorly

5. Colt and other XBOX influencers start uploading color saturated vids of said gameplay and releasing articles about media bias.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Apparently "it was altered and cutdown to fit Game Pass". His "eyes" told him so........which is also weird because we never ever saw the game until after the Bethesda acquisition.

If it smells like bullshit then it probably is.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

On the contrary, the leaked September2021 Beta had a straight up MTX store in the character menu of the game, which has been removed.

That seems like a positive change, if anything.

Whether they re-add an MTX store 4, 5, 6 weeks after release is another matter, but at least between showings of the game, it has gone in a positive direction.

Also, Asphn is .. well we know their post and ban history already.

vj27

Banned

Lmao idr what thread I said this in, think it’s the the activision acquisition thread. But I legit said people will call destin from IGN massive fanboys but in the same breath quote the red dragon, guys a king among fanboys and is really taken seriously on this forum and it’s baffling honestly lml, because here is the only place he doesn’t get clowned. I mean follow who you follow idc at the end of the day, just saying 🤷🏾‍♂️.

Top Bottom