• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition listed on PEGI for PC/Steam

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Dunno how did I missed this thread.

100% this game some years ago, and I liked the shared achievements feature with Xbox Live. But if I learned something from japanese developers, it's that I will have to unlock everything again (good), and will have to pay as much as every newcomer to get the full game on a random sale.

Deus Ex already spoiled me.

You will probably have to unlock everything again, but I doubt you will have to pay as much as every newcomer to get the full game. You'll get the full game from the start, and it looks like DLC will be a separate purchase.

Also, fwiw, Dark Souls recently got ported over to Steam and it had a save transfer method which is cool.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You will probably have to unlock everything again, but I doubt you will have to pay as much as every newcomer to get the full game. You'll get the full game from the start, and it looks like DLC will be a separate purchase.

Also, fwiw, Dark Souls recently got ported over to Steam and it had a save transfer method which is cool.

I wonder what kind of system they'll have in place for the upgrade. Is there any indication that it could be a simple matter of DLC?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wonder what kind of system they'll have in place for the upgrade. Is there any indication that it could be a simple matter of DLC?

I believe someone else said the SteamDb for the game has a DLC branch now, so I'm guessing yeah it'll be DLC.

Looks like they're gunna charge for the Gold Edition Content, regardless if you owned the game on GFWL already or not:

EAZsMbQ.png

Lime

There's a midweek sale for RE5 now with this text in the store description:

This game is a port of the Games for Windows - Live version that was released in 2009. If you buy the Untold Stories Bundle here on Steam, it will be the same as upgrading to Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/21690/

My own RE5 version hasn't updated from GFWL though and nowhere do I see "Untold Stories" being mentioned anywhere.

Cade

They jumped the gun and neither the DLC or the update is out. Please hurry, Capcom. I've already waited for PS+ games for a million years and my soul can bear no more waiting.

So does this mean I'm stuck with the GFWL version if I don't

A) Buy the DLC for the version I already have, or
B) Buy the new Gold Edition, which I assume will be an all-new app?

SpotAnime

Hasn't been mentioned here specifically but RE5 is a Midweek Madness deal for $6.80. Good for those who don't yet have it already, in prep for the Gold release.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hasn't been mentioned here specifically but RE5 is a Midweek Madness deal for $6.80. Good for those who don't yet have it already, in prep for the Gold release.

Based on the description change just now, it also seems likely that GFWL is getting removed today.

So does this mean I'm stuck with the GFWL version if I don't

A) Buy the DLC for the version I already have, or
B) Buy the new Gold Edition, which I assume will be an all-new app?

It's gunna be like how when Street Fighter IV was transferred over to Steam. You use your GFWL key and transfer over your product key. The game will be playable over Steamworks. No more GFWL. You just wont have access to the two story DLCs and Mercs Reunion stuff. Unless you pay of course.

MadHitz

Neo Member
If you own a PS3, get that version instead. It's one of the few games that is actually BETTER with the PlayStation Move controller.

So...should I pick up the game since it's like $6 or do I wait until this fabled gold edition hits? I think I'm confused as to whats going on. All I know is I want Business Sheva in my PC RE5.

Dusk Golem

So...should I pick up the game since it's like $6 or do I wait until this fabled gold edition hits? I think I'm confused as to whats going on. All I know is I want Business Sheva in my PC RE5.

Business Sheva is in the default PC version of RE5, but if you want the DLC, wait a bit as the update is not live quite yet, but looks like it's about to be. It looks like the DLC may be sold separately, you can pick-up now if you don't care about Lost in Nightmares, Desperate Escape, Mercenaries Reunion, Versus, or the Heavy Metal Chris/Fairytale Sheva costumes, but if you do care, wait a small bit as it's not live just yet, and it seems the DLC may be sold separately.

synce

If you own a PS3, get that version instead. It's one of the few games that is actually BETTER with the PlayStation Move controller.

I don't know about Move but the framerate was ass on PS3. I went into it after playing the 360 version and found it unplayable. Then I tried the 60fps PC version and the rest is history

I don't know about Move but the framerate was ass on PS3. I went into it after playing the 360 version and found it unplayable. Then I tried the 60fps PC version and the rest is history

This right here ^
If anything. Get glovepie and pair up your wii remote to your PC. Mouse and keyboard controls have an aim reticle, similar to the PS3 version.

Saikyo

...why they didnt make a bundle already with a dlc "pre-ordeing"?

Going to wait a bundle on a steam sale, its seems Capcom want to "counter-balance" the good things she is fixing on "Revelaitons" 2 on pc.

Ce-Lin

so I understand at some point today I will be able to input my GFWL key and get the game on Steam (Steamworks version), or am I smoking something here ?

ZeroCDR

Aside from the framerate problems already mentioned, the Move aiming is a bit janky.

Unlike RE4 Wii Edition, the cursor isn't on the screen at all times so it resets to the middle every time you take aim. Not game breaking but it takes getting used to. I felt the cursor was a little laggy too, probably because of the framerate.

Miker

I'm going to wait for bundle pricing in case it's cheaper than buying the base game and DLC separately.

Dusk Golem

Have they even done the port to Steamworks yet?

In the Steam Database, its there, and people have been playing it for the last few days, testing I assume. They've also been updating it, and there's two DLC Depots and a 8 GB update, but it hasn't gone live yet./ So they've done it, but been doing testing and it hasn't hit regular users yet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
so I understand at some point today I will be able to input my GFWL key and get the game on Steam (Steamworks version), or am I smoking something here ?

No. Steamworks port isn't "finished" yet. When it is, you'll know by the amount of dancing in the hills over it.

Vamphuntr

Seems like it's a mistake and the text shouldn't have been updated today. To be expected, Capcom and PC always lead to some varying degrees of disappointment.

Ce-Lin

No. Steamworks port isn't "finished" yet. When it is, you'll know by the amount of dancing in the hills over it.

ok thanks, I'm happy I'll eventually get the base game then with no terrible GFWL and of course will gladly pay for the DLC.

Dusk Golem

Seems like it's a mistake and the text shouldn't have been updated today. To be expected, Capcom and PC always lead to some varying degrees of disappointment.

The thing that confuses me is that RE5 is definitely the midweek madness deal and the date in the text is accurate, it could be later today or tomorrow is my guess, but we shall see.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This right here ^
If anything. Get glovepie and pair up your wii remote to your PC. Mouse and keyboard controls have an aim reticle, similar to the PS3 version.

Have you actually tried the glovepie thing for RE5? That sounds like a great way to go through it again if the saves don't transfer over - assuming it works well.

ZeroCDR

Unfortunately I think it's unlikely that GFWL keys from retail can be used to activate on Steam, RE5 was one of the early titles that could be activated with any GFWL key prior to a certain date.

If they kept track of only the codes that actually shipped with RE5, then it should be possible, but it's Capcom :\

Sora_N

So what happens if I buy the version that's on the store now on sale?

I can buy the DLC later and get Gold?

Dusk Golem

So what happens if I buy the version that's on the store now on sale?

I can buy the DLC later and get Gold?

Yes you can, there sounds like they'll be a bundle with the game+dlc thatm ay possible be cheaper, but also be available separately. We don't know the full situation, which is why several (myself included) saying just to wait for it to go live.

Sora_N

Yes you can, there sounds like they'll be a bundle with the game+dlc thatm ay possible be cheaper, but also be available separately. We don't know the full situation, which is why several (myself included) saying just to wait for it to go live.

What's this GFWL thing/problem though? I'm a noob, never had to deal with that?

From my understanding the on sale version is a GFWL one or something? If I buy it, and then they finish the port then I'm unaffected right?

Does not support NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision which came with the original Games for Windows - Live version.
Multiplayer is done through online matching, so split-screen play is not supported.
You can import your old save and achievement data from the Games for Windows - Live version. When doing this, please set the Steam and game languages to the language you used in the GFWL version, or the data may not be imported correctly.
Still no split screen, even after Revelations 2's fiasco? Lol.

Unless that's why the update isn't live?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What

Does not support NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision which came with the original Games for Windows - Live version.

The fuck.
Multiplayer is done through online matching, so split-screen play is not supported.

God damn it Capcom. This was like one of THE go to examples of stellar 3D vision support and they're just fuckin breaking it.

Miker

Was split screen ever a supported feature in RE5 vanilla/GFWL? I didn't expect them to add it for this Steamworks version.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Was split screen ever a supported feature in RE5 vanilla/GFWL? I didn't expect them to add it for this Steamworks version.

Yes, if I remember right. I'll boot up later today to check. But it was basically a Nvidia-supported X-box 360 port.

Elija2

Considering how easy it was for them to add it to RER2, I don't know why they wouldn't.

Hopefully they release the Steamworks patch soon so I can have an RE game to play while I wait for Capcom to fix RER2's performance bugs.

Top Bottom