• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - Review Thread | Activist Reviews and the Hate Patrol Destroy Truth™

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 5 chapters into the game out of a total of 20 (6.5 hours played) and I'm seriously loving this game. I know this doesn't come as a surprise to anyone in this thread, but I honestly can't see what has really rankled reviewers. The action is hectic and responsive, the set pieces so far have been great, and there is a wide variety of enemy types, and they all require different strategies to take down. The demos really did a terrible job at showing off what this game is about.

iplay5150

Played about a chapter and a half of Leon's campaign. Enjoying the game way more than I expected. Just Redbox'd it for now, but I'm seriously considering picking it up later on. Glad I decided to try it out myself than just assuming it sucked, which I was totally doing. Wrote the game off completely after those demos.

That said, I do have some problems with it. General feel of movement is a tad twitchy, I miss the weighty and deliberate movement from 4 and 5. Waaay too many QTEs. Seriously devs, stop it. No one is asking for these things. Camera and inventory stuff's kinda funky, too. But once I became familiar with the melee, using grenades and bombs properly, and coming to grips with the healing mechanics, I was enjoying it. Hopefully the game holds up for the majority of the campaigns.

Dambrosi

Banned
All I know is, I'm watching the nycfurby stream of the end of the Leon arc right now on twitchtv, and all that comes to mind is...

27860826.jpg

...Nah, I think I'll pass.

Oh, and Richard Simmons for next UMVC3 DLC character. Come on Capcom, you know you want to.

EDIT: Oh my GOD there's more. Some serious
Beast Wars
shit up in hurr. Yeah, I'll stick to Youtubing the cutscenes, thanks.

Admittedly I had a head start with the Dragon's Dogma Demo in July, but even so, Veteran mode for me has caused only a few facepalm moments. Every other death I've suffered (there have been lots, I admit) has been fair in that I knew why I died, and what I could have done to avoid it. The game is hard, it expects you to put in your best. A lot of the aficionados of 'visceral', 'cinematic' games which are only a step away from playing themselves -the kind which RE6 immediately seems to be- aren't going to have the easy time they expect. You can't blindfire ad nauseam and wait for your health to come back between every encounter. You need to learn and apply. It's what videogames should be.

This game is not just difficult on Veteran, it's full of poorly-executed, unadvertised, and otherwise unexplained shit that makes it unduly so. The times that I've died that I could attribute to myself screwing up were greatly outweighed by all of the times that the game did not show its hand before pouncing, leading to what can only be fairly described as trial and error gameplay of the old-school and poorly-designed kind. I've finished legitimately difficult titles on harder difficulty settings that ask you to 'bring it' all of the time. RE6 can only qualify as such after you've suffered its bullshit design decisions once or more. This is not a well-designed game, so no amount of 'buck up, soldier!/man up!' statements changes this. This is coming from someone who has played difficult and genuinely challenging, but competently-designed action games for over thirty-five years. Maybe I've played too many poorly-designed ones that cannot seem to maintain a level course of approach to new threats for which new mechanics or tactics, previously unexplained, are required to overcome. Maybe I'm just not interested in suffering what many if not most players view as not worth playing through due to so much uneven progression and a lack of polish that previously existed and even helped to distinguish past mainline RE games of the last decade as top-tier titles and worthy of following on. Whatever my problems are, this game is poor compared to previous installments and it's not necessary to finish the game to know that.

Carbonox

Juste made this:

re_series_review_scorjmzzg.png

Time for a reboot?

Very nice.

I think the series was always going to drop in standards after Mikami left. Irrelevant if Resident Evil 5, Revelations and IMO Resident Evil 6 are fun games, it seems that Capcom are now using this period to adjust and test new ideas as well as re-using old assets. Sometimes it works (Revelations), sometimes they go too far with the new ideas without really working on them (Resident Evil 6) for quality's sake.

It's hard to imagine what Capcom wants to do with this series because they chuck in absolutely every idea and genre. Some aspects of Leon's campaign were really nicely done at an atmosphere and environment level but then you have other sides of the spectrum completely undoing such positiveness. It's the positives though that I would love to see Capcom enhance upon in the future.

Sooner or later they're going to have to decide on one thing and stick to it. It's not as simple as shootbang horror.

First off though, they need to seriously nail down the movement and camera. All they had to do for me to be 100% happy was paste Resident Evil 5's solid and tight movement scheme in to RE6, add move+shoot, and bam job done. The camera was rarely a big issue in RE5 as well, despite Chris's size.

So yeah, it's a confusing time. Capcom's quality has dwindled significantly as well so it's tough times ahead.

amazing and sad how much power internet videogame critics seem to have.

Power over what? This will still sell millions to the casual mainstream that doesn't go into videogame forums on the internet and hobby gamers older than 15 should know how to properly weigh these numbers in their decisions.

Why the 11% disparity between 360 and PS3 versions?
51 reviews for X360 version versus just 22 for the PS3. (I still dislike score aggregation sites, but they are useful to see a general level of agreement even if they're highly, deeply flawed for anything outside of some insights into the general distribution of overall opinion.) AFAIK, the games are pretty much the same, so it's not a difference that can be attributed to quality of final release in either version, just the game itself and how many more dislike it since their opinions were taken into account for one platform over the other.

Power over what? This will still sell millions to the casual mainstream that doesn't go into videogame forums on the internet and hobby gamers older than 15 should know how to properly weigh these numbers in their decisions.

Power was a big word. What I mean is how highly people seem to hold metacritic's importance. It's like Rotten Tomatoes.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Good. I personally am finding this game to be a great ride, and with a 27-hour campaign that will be endlessly replayable via co-op, not to mention Mercenaries mode and all the fun to be had there. Capcom did not skimp on this game, and quite honestly I think more people should play it.

I think this game would be borderline annoying if you had to play it non-stop over the course of a day or two for a review, but I'm playing it in small chunks (2 chapters per day) and am having a blast with it. I really don't understand where all these "it's not fun" complaints are coming from (although I don't really mind QTEs, so maybe that's a part of it).

I really have to admire how reviewers perfectly score a game everytime.

Release a game that crashes to desktop on a platform that has more meory than the game needs with a patch required to actually use more than 4 GB of memory and is broken fundamentally on one platform (PS3) while also having boring combat and a huge numver of small to medium size bugs 10/10

Release a game with a deep, complex gameplay system that's very engaging. Along with this, the game has a large number of settings and huge enemy variety. Suffers from some,bad,design decisions with the regards to QTEs and camera. Had a few animation and clipping issues. 3/10.

pa22word

What a ridiculous quote. Resident Evil 5 is a great game. They make it sound like its a piece of shit when in reality it's not.

As a fan of RE5 I've kinda gotten to the point I just let all the seething, hyperbolic vitriol spewed at the game roll off my back. It is kind of a shame that this kind of stupidity is directly what led to Capcom trying the "please everyone", shattershot style approach with RE6 though.

Power was a big word. What I mean is how highly people seem to hold metacritic's importance. It's like Rotten Tomatoes.

If by people you mean publishers, yeah it is a shame. As for consumers at large (note: this board is not an indication of that), I've yet to see any relevant correlation between low metacritic with low sales. In most cases a good marketing scheme seems to be the biggest single factor determining sales success.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Does RE6 come with any online codes or is it used game friendly?

Neiteio

Does RE6 come with any online codes or is it used game friendly?
No online codes. Just pop in the disk and play online. :)

This game has really grown on me. There's a lot of stuff in here that I think the people skipping would regret missing out on. Stuff like the entirety of Leon's second chapter handily outclasses Lost in Nightmares and would fit right in with RE4. And in other chapters, the stuff that makes things feel uneven at first is quite manageable once learned. Fun, even.

Neff

This game is not just difficult on Veteran, it's full of poorly-executed, unadvertised, and otherwise unexplained shit that makes it unduly so. The times that I've died that I could attribute to myself screwing up were greatly outweighed by all of the times that the game did not show its hand before pouncing, leading to what can only be fairly described as trial and error gameplay of the old-school and poorly-designed kind. I've finished legitimately difficult titles on harder difficulty settings that ask you to 'bring it' all of the time. RE6 can only qualify as such after you've suffered its bullshit design decisions once or more. This is not a well-designed game, so no amount of 'buck up, soldier!/man up!' statements changes this. This is coming from someone who has played difficult and genuinely challenging, but competently-designed action games for over thirty-five years. Maybe I've played too many poorly-designed ones that cannot seem to maintain a level course of approach to new threats for which new mechanics or tactics, previously unexplained, are required to overcome. Maybe I'm just not interested in suffering what many if not most players view as not worth playing through due to so much uneven progression and a lack of polish that previously existed and even helped to distinguish past mainline RE games of the last decade as top-tier titles and worthy of following on. Whatever my problems are, this game is poor compared to previous installments and it's not necessary to finish the game to know that.

Aside from the
gunship
sections in Chris/Jake's scenarios (which I still haven't adequately formulated a strategy for yet), every cause of death can be adjusted to and circumvented, if not anticipated, via the tools available to you in RE6. I don't subscribe to the idea that a game should have to show you how to avoid failure, merely adequately and reliably allow you to sidestep it once you know how. Some of the best-designed games in the world feature trial-and-error to some degree. RE4 was cheap as hell the first time you played it. There's a tightrope balancing act between effortless progress and frustration -the ideal balance ensuring satisfaction- that all videogame developers have to walk. Everyone has their bullshit tolerance threshold, and it tends to be shorter in an era where many people simply want a showcase of vaguely interactive beautiful graphics, but RE6 permits more than enough room for success, if you invest with intelligent, reflexive play.

3/4ths of my deaths in RE6 were from not doing what the latest scripted scene wanted me to do, or giant vehicle came barrelling in while I was fighting zombies or something. Or an earthquake happens and you get that Lost Planet bullshit where the recovery animation last forever, long enough for an enemy to grab you and fail state happens.

These would be less annoying if the combat was fun, but it isn't. Which is weird.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That's funny, most of my deaths come from the enemies themselves killing me. Very few times have I actually died due to not doing what the "scripted event" wanted me to do, the only exceptions being that vehicle you mentioned (lol) and one QTE in Jake's second chapter. And I have a very low threshold for scripted-event-deaths, which pissed me the hell off in Uncharted 3. I just don't see RE6 being nearly as egregious when it comes to forcing you to play a certain way, since it gives you a wide variety of tools to mess around with.

I will say I freaking hate the knockdown that happens so frequently in this game. It just gets on my nerves when I fall down every time I take a little damage.

Neff

I will say I freaking hate the knockdown that happens so frequently in this game. It just gets on my nerves when I fall down every time I take a little damage.

If you hold down the action button as you land, you'll do a quick recovery.

Sojgat

That's funny, most of my deaths come from the enemies themselves killing me. Very few times have I actually died due to not doing what the "scripted event" wanted me to do, the only exceptions being that vehicle you mentioned (lol) and one QTE in Jake's second chapter. And I have a very low threshold for scripted-event-deaths, which pissed me the hell off in Uncharted 3. I just don't see RE6 being nearly as egregious when it comes to forcing you to play a certain way, since it gives you a wide variety of tools to mess around with.

Hold back and A/X button and you will change your opinion. You roll backwards and can keep shooting. Fucking awesome.

Aside from the
gunship
sections in Chris/Jake's scenarios (which I still haven't adequately formulated a strategy for yet), every cause of death can be adjusted to and circumvented, if not anticipated, via the tools available to you in RE6. I don't subscribe to the idea that a game should have to show you how to avoid failure, merely adequately and reliably allow you to sidestep it once you know how. Some of the best-designed games in the world feature trial-and-error to some degree. RE4 was cheap as hell the first time you played it. There's a tightrope balancing act between effortless progress and frustration -the ideal balance ensuring satisfaction- that all videogame developers have to walk. Everyone has their bullshit tolerance threshold, and it tends to be shorter in an era where many people simply want a showcase of vaguely interactive beautiful graphics, but RE6 permits more than enough room for success, if you invest with intelligent, reflexive play.
I think I'm done talking about this game with you. You apparently have a high tolerance for the inane ambush design that masquerades as gameplay...so much so that I think you might have a shit-eating grin on your face as you experience it in this game, so that's great for you. Me? I'll wait until it's much less expensive to chew through the bullshit coating to get to whatever gooey goodness lies at the center.

Tain

MightyHedgehog said:
You apparently have a high tolerance for the inane ambush design that masquerades as gameplay...

I'm curious, can you provide some examples of the situations in which the game violates your sense of fairness (as you put it)? I've been playing this game with the GF, and we're hardly experts or anything, but we're playing on Professional and haven't run into many situations where we feel we've died due to bullshit (biggest offenders so far are the chase scene camera changes).

Risette

A Good Citizen
Aside from the
gunship
I love the assumption that anyone who has an adverse reaction to RE6 wants an autogame.

how could he have gotten banned? his contributions to this community are tremendous.

NeoGAF really has gotten way too strict and politically correct; all a guy does is compare journalists who dislike a videogame to the Ku Klux Klan and the Nazi Party, while making "ironic" racist jokes about blacks and Jews, and the mods get all uptight and ban him!

He had so many more posts about sliding into cover to make... taken too soon...

Riposte

NeoGAF really has gotten way too strict and politically correct; all a guy does is compare journalists who dislike a videogame to the Ku Klux Klan and the Nazi Party, while making "ironic" racist jokes about blacks and Jews, and the mods get all uptight and ban him!

He had so many more posts about sliding into cover to make... taken too soon...

Now he is sliding into Jesus

Top Bottom