• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - Review Thread | Activist Reviews and the Hate Patrol Destroy Truth™

Sojgat

Reaction of enemies to your attacks is very watered down compared to previous games. The quality of that aspect of the game is just not there making the combat just less entertaining.

It's the skills system IMO. I poured all my points into getting Firepower up to level 3 as soon as I could. It makes a difference, having the standard setting feel so weak is still a bad design choice though.

Reaction of enemies to your attacks is very watered down compared to previous games. The quality of that aspect of the game is just not there making the combat just less entertaining.

Which enemies? Zombies have perfect reaction (for what they are). J'avo are also displaying pain properly majini/ganado style... except for maybe a couple transformations.

A shotgun always makes them react tho.

Maybe the bosses and some of the mutations are bullet-spongy, but the humanoid enemies give feedback. They shudder and stagger and trip when shot, you can flinch them with dazing headshots for over-the-top melees, and they dramatically disintegrate (or melt: see zombies) when killed, sometimes before even fully collapsing to the ground.

Sometimes I can't even tell when enemies are disintegrating or dead because the game is so fuckin' dark. Sometimes I run up to enemies on the ground and it gives me the melee prompt to step on them. Other times they don't, and then they disappear. "Oh, I guess he was dead *shrugs*". Other times they just lay on the ground for me to trip over, there's a fun addition to the series.

And IDK who the fuck thought replacing Leon's awesome roundhouse kick with the too-long, wimpy looking shoulder throw, but they were wrong.

Dahbomb

Other times they just lay on the ground for me to trip over, there's a fun addition to the series.
This is so lame. I can't believe someone thought this would be a good idea to put into a video game.

Honestly can we stop with this complaint? Every game journo out there complains about all the hand-holding we have in video games these days, and along comes a game with a deep and complex combat/movement system and all of a sudden everyone is shitting on it because it doesn't explain everything to you? No wonder games hold your hands like a child.

Capcom fucked up by not including instructions in the manual. That's unarguably a terrible idea. But if most of us were able to figure out how to slide and dodge and roll in the demo, then you should be able to figure that out in a 30-hour game. Experiment! Demon's Souls was a critical darling and it barely explained anything to you. Hell I don't even know what most of the dumbass symbols were that I could upgrade in the menu until I looked them up online.

The difference between RE6 and Dark Souls is, Dark Souls was great at telling you the controls and mechanics without holding your hand. The opening area is a fairly open-ended tutorial, where it tells you a mechanic (like block) and then instantly puts you in a situation where blocking is important - that long hallway with the archer at the end. RE6's tutorial does nothing like that. It's completely fair to knock the game for not teaching the player; it's not a matter of wanting the game to hold my hand, it's a matter of wanting the game to imply anything at all about its own controls.

Like I said earlier...

The thing that really has me confused about this game is how it has a tutorial (the awful prelude) that doesn't teach you any of the interesting mechanics. I think this game is definitely a clunker, but there's a decent action game buried under all the problems. It's a shame that it's hard to even appreciate that aspect, since all of the crawling, dodging, rolling, etc mechanics are obfuscated.

With no decent tutorial and no manual, it's really hard to experiment with the controls and mechanics simply because there's no real starting point for them. It's completely reasonable that this game is scoring poorly fundamentally as a game simply because there's no way to dive into it properly. Dark Souls or even older games like Super Metroid do a fantastic job of teaching without smothering the player, more than RE6's dumb prelude ever does.

...there may be a decent action game hiding in here somewhere, but people shouldn't have to fight against cutscenes, QTEs, and iffy controls to get to it.

What you're doing is an ad hominem attack: you're attacking me for who I am versus what I'm saying. It's a logical fallacy; I may an RE fan but that doesn't inherently devalue my opinions on RE.

devalue is a strong word, "reflects a very likely bias" goes down easier.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's still there but it's definitely not handled anywhere near as well as RE4.

Look at this video, for instance. You can see plenty of reactions from the enemies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LU0D_egfQ

Holy shit..other than the GB quick look this is the first RE6 video I've seen and it looks GREAT. Now I can tell why people who can't grasp the controls think the game sucks. All the dodging, back-jumping, countering, rolling showcased in this video definitely displays how the combat should work in the game, and obviously anyone who doesn't take advantage of those moves (read: doesn't know the controls) probably thinks the game is awful.It really was Capcom's responsibility to properly inform the player of all the movesets and it sucks that they didn't.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
devalue is a strong word, "reflects a very likely bias" goes down easier.

Call it what you want, you're still saying the same thing: my opinion is not as valid as someone else's. You're still attacking my argument based on who I am rather than on the merits of the argument itself.

Z3M0G

Holy shit..other than the GB quick look this is the first RE6 video I've seen and it looks GREAT. Now I can tell why people who can't grasp the controls think the game sucks. All the dodging, back-jumping, countering, rolling showcased in this video definitely displays how the combat should work in the game, and obviously anyone who doesn't take advantage of those moves (read: doesn't know the controls) probably thinks the game is awful.It really was Capcom's responsibility to properly inform the player of all the movesets and it sucks that they didn't.

They slipped a little Street Fighter into the game and didn't tell anyone... This game clearly has the most advanced move-set in the history of 3PS... maybe more so than Vanquish? I'm sure there was direct influence from Vanquish put into this game... But then they shipped the game with no Instruction Booklet, and an incomplete tutorial. That's where Capcom really screwed up, for sure. They made a game with awesomely advanced and demanding gameplay but didn't teach you how to play it.

Dambrosi

Banned
Right. I've read as much as I'm able to of this shitty thread, and this is what I've taken from it.

Team On_Disc_DLC_Is_OK_By_Me!:
27829436.jpg

Team CRAPCPOM_Is_Shit_Bring_Back_MegaMan_You_SOBs:
STOP-LIKING-what-i-dont-LIKE.jpg

Team The_Only_Logical_Answer:
27828922.jpg

Let's see if the fanatcs on either team change their opinion over the next few days/weeks, shall we?

Endo Punk

No doubt Capcom shipped an insane amount of copies to retail but I have a hard believing the game will sell through let alone reach their goal of 7 million. Even if the game sells well enough I hope they realise it's a piss poor RE game that split the fan base much more so than RE5.

Neff

Whoah, I did not know that.

RE6 in a nutshell. There's so damn much the game doesn't tell you upfront. After some 15 hours of play I'm still seeing new tips in the load screens. The more you know, the more the game comes so, so alive.

In terms of 'secret' tricks and techniques to exploit, it borders on resembling a fighting game at times.

branny

It really was Capcom's responsibility to properly inform the player of all the movesets and it sucks that they didn't.
It does suck, but it happens all the time. Shmups are usually always reviewed by people who don't take time to understand them (and likely otherwise have very little experience with the intricacies of the genre). The same goes with fighting games where tutorials (until relatively recently) have nearly always done very little to teach you how to play the game, let alone be comprehensive enough to teach you how to play at a high level. Even with games like Monster Hunter there is a clear divide between the people who "get it" and those who don't.

And after overcoming a steep learning curve, there is still the question of whether or not things are actually fun for that enlightened player.

RE6 is an interesting case because it's relatively complex for the kind of game it's trying to be, but it's not so complicated that it's impenetrable. A few good tutorials would work far better than the loading screens hints--even the loading screen in both of the demos gave more info about the controls (unless the same is in RE6 somewhere...haven't looked).

Beyond the controls, there are other aspects of the game that reflect a similar "trial by fire" design--random, insta-death QTEs and certain boss fights with unclear goals are sometimes quite unfair until you know what you're supposed to do. It just depends what you're willing to put up with as a player. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are quite similar regarding learning through trial and error, yet they've garnered a huge following (along with quite a few detractors). I'm one of the people who loves those games, so I find myself in a weird position being unable to essentially critique one without the other. If I were to get into the details of why I think that sort of thing is okay when done right, it'd be a judgment call.

As for the "unclear goals blocking progression" part of the equation, it's something that I've always hated. It's why I don't like Super Mario 64 as much as some people. After you figure out what to do in that game to get specific stars, though, you have more fun. Obviously this is not a perfect analogy, but I see some similarities. It goes back to getting over that hill and being on the other side. Where I think people are getting confused is the line between an insufferable process (where knowing what to do matters little because reaching your goal will never be fun) and something unclear (where figuring out what to do prevents future problems).

I'm around 1/3 of the way through the game right now and am generally having fun even though things aren't the most polished. I have no clue if RE6 gets better or worse, but I suspect Mercs will probably be the game's strongest asset because it gets rid of a lot of potentially objectionable content by its inherent design.

ErikB

Banned
They slipped a little Street Fighter into the game and didn't tell anyone... This game clearly has the most advanced move-set in the history of 3PS... maybe more so than Vanquish? I'm sure there was direct influence from Vanquish put into this game... But then they shipped the game with no Instruction Booklet, and an incomplete tutorial. That's where Capcom really screwed up, for sure. They made a game with awesomely advanced and demanding gameplay but didn't teach you how to play it.

I'm not sure they needed to teach it, exactly, but they could certainly have done more to imply it was there to be learned.

Dambrosi

Banned
No doubt Capcom shipped an insane amount of copies to retail but I have a hard believing the game will sell through let alone reach their goal of 7 million. Even if the game sells well enough I hope they realise it's a piss poor RE game that split the fan base much more so than RE5.
Now, to qualify my opinion on this matter, I haven't played the game (not out in the UK till tomorrow), but I have been watching streams of it nearly non-stop since Tuesday. And, from what I gather, the response of people actually playing the game on stream is almost uniformly negative. Nothing but complaints about controls and QTEs and stupid story. So, yeah.

I wonder if this might give me a whole new appreciation of RE5 when we Euros get it on PSN+ next week. Because right now I'm playing Spec Ops: The Line, and that seems to be a far superior action cover shooter to both RE5 and RE6 at the moment.

Better story, too. :p

Neiteio

Look at this video, for instance. You can see plenty of reactions from the enemies.

Yep. Everyone should watch that video. When you know how to play, the core gameplay is great. The QTEs and uneven pacing remain, but the combat and traversal is fantastic.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Haha of course ign scores high again cause of moneyhats...

Picard+is+an+animal+_e4b98fb66e9de49556dda7ddf270cc3e.jpg

Well, on IGN Italy we had an hard time with the comments to our review due to people (who did NOT play the game) non "accepting" (????) the high score and citing low-scores of other magazine as a proof of the bad quality of the game (ignoring, actually, the good ratings the game was awarded somewhere else...).

This, after the reviewer spent 4 pages and a video explaining WHY the game deserved an high score according to him, why he genuinely liked it (because he did).

For what I've seen, most people simply could not accept the simple fact that Resident Evil 6 may appeal to someone. It seems that it is not just the quality of the game which has to be "punished". It is the fact that the game "changed". Resident Evil 6 is seen as the very definitive betrayal by Capcom against hordes of fans which can't accept the game is now an action game (even though it has became an action game since Resident Evil 4...).

I can't even imagine what will happen when DMC will hit the stores, next year. It will be very interesing. Sad, yet very interesting.

Lothars

That is a crazy video, I am very impressed at some of the movies you can do.

I have the game but haven't put any real time into it yet, I just wish they would explain the movies more and I think it's a huge mistake they didn't.

Neff

Oh, has it? My lack of money excuses me, then.

Nonetheless, I have the demo, but the defenders here say it's nothing like the finished game. Is that true?

Everything you can do in the game you can do in the demo, you'll get a feel for basic combat from it, but the really spectacular stuff is saved for the game, at least imo.

Dahbomb

I can't even imagine what will happen when DMC will hit the stores, next year. It will be very interesing. Sad, yet very interesting.
Dis gonna b gud.

IGN already anticipating controversy over giving DmC a good score...

koryuken

You know that's not what he means.

I haven't been able to put my finger on why I'm not feeling RE6 or the new DMC...I think I've figured it out. It's like sequels have no soul. By soul I mean the creativity that attracted me to the originals.

These games remind me of COD sequels.

Dahbomb

You know that's not what he means.
Well what is he implying then? Is he not implying a similar situation happening for DmC as with RE6?? Sounds to me like they are already anticipating backlash for positive review on the game, if they plan on giving the game that type of review.

Neiteio

I haven't been able to put my finger on why I'm not feeling RE6 or the new DMC...I think I've figured it out. It's like sequels have no soul. By soul I mean the creativity that attracted me to the originals.

These games remind me of COD sequels.
I haven't seen much of DmC, but what I have seen is certainly not bland. If anything, DmC is hyper-colorful and fantastical in its world-building and characters. Yeah, changing Dante's design is a cynical attempt to connect with a target demographic, but otherwise the game looks like it has some real magic to its art direction and style.

RE6, I'd say, has a distinctive presence as well. There are two styles to it, I'd say: the Leon and Ada campaigns, and the Chris and Jake campaigns. I'd say the former group has warmer environs (haven't played Ada yet, but based on videos), and the latter has warmer character connections (Chris and his squad, and Jake and Sherry). The creatures are consistently creepy/unsettling, and the environments feel lived-in, with rusting walls, overturned reception halls, etc. Lots of atmospheric lighting like fires burning outside an apartment window, or particle effects like snow flurries up in the mountains. It's nice.

I just got done playing through Leon and Helena's campaign. I enjoyed it for the most part, just a few gripes here and there.

What I did like was the atmosphere of the college campus. It was moody which made it feel like an old-school RE game. Not to say the other areas weren't interesting, but they didn't have the atmosphere the campus did. Oh, I should bring up the exception...I HATE the whole "ancient ruin" type nonsense that has been in RE4, RE5, and now RE6. I wish they would have stuck with the modern feel of RE2 and RE3 strictly...the "ancient ruin" areas just seemed so out of place.

Also, I hope
that there is a "main ending" of sorts. Seeing Leon and Helena's ending...even after the credits...was a joke.

I don't think I would like to go back verbatim to the old days of RE (remember the water treatment puzzle from RE3? ugh), but I really hope that the horror element comes back.

Or maybe the opposite? The avatar is RE1/remake jill, the classic style of resident evil. Word on the street says he should despise RE6 for this reason.

I'm of the mind that many of the people jumping on the RE6 hate train aren't even fans of the series to begin with.. the point of their argument is that diehard Resident evil fans would play blinx the timecat reskinned with resident evil characters and not find fault in it..

Honestly, I think it was a mistake to play this game on Veteran to start. The game constantly makes me feel victimized for assuming it would more skillfully ease in new threats with carefully-engineered scenarios, forcing you to learn new strategies or use different tactics, like RE4 or RE5. And it's just so inconsistent with context-sensitive combat outside of forcing a stagger with a slide or this game's version of Ninja Gaiden's Flying Swallow, or its close-range auto-aiming attack, the quick shot which uses a bar of stamina. Anyone who rated this title 7/10 or similar and higher, I hope, never designs games for a living. It's only barely justifiable, IMO, that they could be trusted to give an opinion to potential buyers with such a score considering how often the game violates any sense of fairness or consistency with its behaviors. And the constant QTEs and health system...ugh. Can I live with it and slog through it? Yeah, but do I want to? Not so sure, and I've endured some mighty shitty games that were really fucking uneven. So glad I didn't buy this and am only borrowing it until I decide I want to suffer a more reasonable price for interactive masochism on an absolutely terrible level. Haven't been this infuriated and disgusted with a game in some time. I won't speak of this game again until my well of patience has refilled a bit.

Lesson learned...start on Normal with RE6.

Tain

Right. I've read as much as I'm able to of this shitty thread, and this is what I've taken from it.

Let's see if the fanatcs on either team change their opinion over the next few days/weeks, shall we?

Some people can purchase a game and still be capable of identifying it as bad, should that be the case.

It's some X-Men type shit. We're the humans of the future.

Neiteio

Honestly, I think it was a mistake to play this game on Veteran to start. The game constantly makes me feel victimized for assuming it would more skillfully ease in new threats with carefully-engineered scenarios, forcing you to learn new strategies or use different tactics, like RE4 or RE5. And it's just so inconsistent with context-sensitive combat outside of forcing a stagger with a slide or this game's version of Ninja Gaiden's Flying Swallow, or its close-range auto-aiming attack. Anyone who rated this title 7/10 or similar and higher, I hope, never designs games for a living. It's only barely justifiable, IMO, that they could be trusted to give an opinion to potential buyers with such a score considering how often the game violates any sense of fairness or consistency with its behaviors. And the constant QTEs and health system...ugh. Can I live with it and get slog through it? Yeah, but do I want to? Not so sure, and I've endured some mighty shitty games that were really fucking uneven. So glad I didn't buy this and am only borrowing it until I decide I want to suffer a more reasonable price for interactive masochism on an absolutely terrible level. Haven't been this infuriated and disgusted with a game in some time. I won't speak of this game again until my well of patience has refilled a bit.

Lesson learned...start on Normal with RE6.
First off, cool avatar! And second, the bolded bit is my main gripe with RE6: The game doesn't pace itself in such a way that you're eased into the different situations it throws at you. I also agree with the QTEs (well, the ones like dodging trains and such).

Otherwise, I'm a bit more positive on this game. The core gameplay is solid, once you learn it. Unfortunately the game doesn't teach you that you can, for instance, paint an enemy sniper with L1 and Circle so your AI partner prioritizes that target, nor that you can instantly mix and load pills (even R+G pills) by simply holding R2 and hitting Square when you're empty. It doesn't tell you, outside of maybe a loading screen, that you can hold L1 and R1 to do a quick shot, automatically targeting and hitting nearby enemies. It doesn't tell you you can stand right back up after a leap or roll on the ground by releasing L1, or that you can do a shooting slide by running and tapping L1 while firing, or that you can do a 180 turn on the ground while sliding by pulling back on the control stick, or that you can fill up stick-twirling QTEs twice as fast by rotating both sticks. There are so many mechanics that the game doesn't explain.

Once mastered, though, the core gameplay is really solid... when it lets you play. Which thankfully is more often than not, but there are still frustrating bits where the camera forces you to look at something or you're forced to walk slowly or a random QTE is thrown at you with two seconds' warning. As you said, the main issue is the way scenarios are introduced with no easing in, and the QTEs that randomize them even further.

But otherwise, I'm having fun. Objectively, a 6/10 or 7/10 game, but somehow it's more than the sum of its parts, becoming oddly addictive on the whole. And I by no means went into this with my mind made up to like it. In fact I hated the demo the first time, but quite like the whole game.

Sorry man but your logic is flawed.Having played the demos,watching gameplay videos and reading the reviews as well as having prior experience with the series is obviously not enough for some people.
You need to pay 60$ for a game that you know you're not going to like in order to be allowed to have a
negative
opinion about it.
It is all one big fanboy trap. Shit is getting tired.

TEH-CJ

Banned
This is honestly the worst game I have ever played. Granted, I dont go out of my way to play bad games, so Im sure their are worse games out there....but damn this is horrible.

the first 30min of leon campaign was just mediocre rubbish. qte and explosions. got to chapter 2 and it took me another 20 min for me to start shooting someone. and when I did finally encounter someone, the shooting and hit detection was just abysmal

so I switched to chris's campaign, and that was just a shitty mw3 clone for the first 30 min.

returned the shitty game

hutna

Well, why did they forget to print it out and put it in the box?

I don't disagree, nor do I think it's inappropriate to complain about not having printed manuals with the game. I just don't see the same levels of complaining about other games that do not include a printed manual but provide a digital one, and some are complaining that no manual even exists, which is clearly not true.

I, too, would have preferred a printed manual; even more would have preferred an XMB accessible digital manual like some PSN games have (like the RD HD remakes).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Not true at all. Enemies are VERY responsive, they just don't react as quickly as they used to. It usually takes two bullets to a certain spot for a response, but you can 100% of the time still force them to stumble via headshots, make their body turn with shoulder hits, stumble them with leg shots, etc.

The bosses, this is more true for. RE5 was similar in that respect where they can soak up bullets, only the weaknesses aren't massive orange blobs all over the place like 5 had.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't disagree, nor do I think it's inappropriate to complain about not having printed manuals with the game. I just don't see the same levels of complaining about other games that do not include a printed manual but provide a digital one, and some are complaining that no manual even exists, which is clearly not true.

I, too, would have preferred a printed manual; even more would have preferred an XMB accessible digital manual like some PSN games have (like the RD HD remakes).
Well, my problem with this digital manual in particular beyond being the only way to see a manual for this game, is that they used the format for a paper manual and just slapped it into a PDF. It's not natural to read unless you print it out. In my opinion, if they're not going to make any manuals then they should just leave that style in the past, and set up game pages that act as a manual and go even more in-depth than a manual would by taking advantage of no page restrictions and so on. That'd be neat.

Also yes this is nitpickish and I don't really mean it as a criticism against Capcom or the game beyond them following a bad trend. Their digital manual seems fine and it's probably what everyone else does but I see potential for something greater beyond "here's the PDF of the manual we would've included if we weren't cheap." Especially for a game as cryptic as this...
seriously? like, save the trees or sumth'n man
Recycle!

hutna

Well, my problem with this digital manual in particular beyond being the only way to see a manual for this game, is that they used the format for a paper manual and just slapped it into a PDF. It's not natural to read unless you print it out. In my opinion, if they're not going to make any manuals then they should just leave that style in the past, and set up game pages that act as a manual and go even more in-depth than a manual would by taking advantage of no page restrictions and so on. That'd be neat.

Also yes this is nitpickish and I don't really mean it as a criticism against Capcom or the game beyond them following a bad trend. Their digital manual seems fine and it's probably what everyone else does but I see potential for something greater beyond "here's the PDF of the manual we would've included if we weren't cheap." Especially for a game as cryptic as this...

Recycle!

Ther is also this manual that you might like better: http://game.capcom.com/manual/bio6/en/agegate.html

hutna

Oh hey, that's awesome. It's like Capcom heard my suggestion and made it in a few minutes!

Is this advertised in the flier that comes in the box?

I got to it from residentevil.net (it's right at the top, the first link). Considering the marketing budget of this game maybe some should have been spent informing everyone where to find the manuals?

Neff

Honestly, I think it was a mistake to play this game on Veteran to start. The game constantly makes me feel victimized for assuming it would more skillfully ease in new threats with carefully-engineered scenarios, forcing you to learn new strategies or use different tactics, like RE4 or RE5. And it's just so inconsistent with context-sensitive combat outside of forcing a stagger with a slide or this game's version of Ninja Gaiden's Flying Swallow, or its close-range auto-aiming attack, the quick shot which uses a bar of stamina. Anyone who rated this title 7/10 or similar and higher, I hope, never designs games for a living. It's only barely justifiable, IMO, that they could be trusted to give an opinion to potential buyers with such a score considering how often the game violates any sense of fairness or consistency with its behaviors.

Admittedly I had a head start with the Dragon's Dogma Demo in July, but even so, Veteran mode for me has caused only a few facepalm moments. Every other death I've suffered (there have been lots, I admit) has been fair in that I knew why I died, and what I could have done to avoid it. The game is hard, it expects you to put in your best. A lot of the aficionados of 'visceral', 'cinematic' games which are only a step away from playing themselves -the kind which RE6 immediately seems to be- aren't going to have the easy time they expect. You can't blindfire ad nauseam and wait for your health to come back between every encounter. You need to learn and apply. It's what videogames should be.

Top Bottom