• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - Review Thread | Activist Reviews and the Hate Patrol Destroy Truth™

Yep people like that it's called RE6.

This insane logic. So you honestly believe the most logical explanation as to why people claim to like RE6 is one where they play the game but don't like it yet are compelled to jump on a game forum and LIE about what they played just cause they enjoyed past games in the franchise.

And that is a better explanation than people simply enjoying it? Amazing logic there.

GeekyDad

The fans don't give a fuck what Resident Evil is as long as it's called Resident Evil they will defend it to the ends of the earth.

There's a strong chance most of the negative reviews on Metacritic were done by folks who are fans of Resident Evil.

Lucent

The fans don't give a fuck what Resident Evil is as long as it's called Resident Evil they will defend it to the ends of the earth.

Resident Evil, imo, is about the viruses, the characters, the background, and all of that. It doesn't HAVE TO BE about running around in a mansion, running back and forth from room to room trying to find the keys and solve the puzzles to progress to do it over again. It's not about the limited movement that makes you basically a disabled person who is defenseless if you run out of ammo and can't hit someone because "lol I can't move my hands or feet to punch or kick to save my life".

It was always about escalating the threats and creating powerful B.O.W.s.

I was there for the first RE in the same year it was released. I've been playing them ever since. I love them all. I had my doubts about RE6 at first after playing the demo, but then I got better at it and understood it.

I don't know what people want exactly.

Neiteio

This bullshit about "If you like the game, you must be insane and/or in self-denial and/or a fanboy" has got to stop. Look, no one is denying there are many weird design choices in this game, but the people who like the fundamenal core mechanics and numerous other qualities and see the whole still adding up despite the objective flaws truly feel that way. I'm one of them. I love TPS combat, Vanquish being an all-time favorite, and feel fairly discriminating when it comes to controls in games. These controls are great, the combat is great, the basic act of traversal is great, the back-and-forth flow of the battles is great, having to actually think about your ammo and watch for danger from all angles is great. It's just the game overburdening the player with intrusive and/or unpredictable QTEs that gets to me.

Mr_Zombie

SMH at people complaining about MGS4 controls. At least MGS4 knew what it was, a tactical espionage action game with a clear vision. RE6 has so many hands in the pot it's a damn clusterfuck of a title. It's not that I have a problem with people liking the game but they defend it like it's the correction course of action for a RE title. Do you guys really want it to turn into a Michael Bay action film with even worse direction?

OMG! You're saying good things about MGS4 and you have a MGS-related avatar! You must be MGS fanboy and thus anything you said about the series shouldn't be taken seriously!!11!!! You probably kiss Kojima's ass every day before sleep!

Seriously, that's the fucking argument? People who have RE-related avatars are fanboys (what?!) and thus "as long as it's called Resident Evil they will defend it to the ends of the earth" (what?!)? Talk about childish arguments. How hard it is for people to grasp that different people enjoy different things in games? That not everyone has to share your opinion on particular game mechanics, visuals, game design or even cut-scenes? That the story some people find deep and enjoyable is gibberish for others; that controls that some find broken works perfectly for others?

But nope, if I don't like something, then nobody should like it! And if they do, then that must mean they are fanboys!

Yep, that's probably why so many RE fans disliked RE4 or RE5 or Zero or CV or Survivor or RE3 or any other game in the series they didn't like. Oh no, wait, that's not how it works according to you.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Resident Evil, imo, is about the viruses, the characters, the background, and all of that. It doesn't HAVE TO BE about running around in a mansion, running back and forth from room to room trying to find the keys and solve the puzzles to progress to do it over again. It's not about the limited movement that makes you basically a disabled person who is defenseless if you run out of ammo and can't hit someone because "lol I can't move my hands or feet to punch or kick to save my life".

It was always about escalating the threats and creating powerful B.O.W.s.

I was there for the first RE in the same year it was released. I've been playing them ever sense. I love them all. I had my doubts about RE6 at first after playing the demo, but then I got better at it and understood it.

I don't know what people want exactly.

They want the genre that was introduced in the beginning. They will have to accept that, that ship has departed with Revelations.

Neiteio

OMG! You're saying good things about MGS4 and you have a MGS-related avatar! You must be MGS fanboy and thus anything you said about the series shouldn't be taken seriously!!11!!! You probably kiss Kojima's ass every day before sleep!

Seriously, that's the fucking argument? People who have RE-related avatars are fanboys (what?!) and thus "as long as it's called Resident Evil they will defend it to the ends of the earth" (what?!)? Talk about childish arguments. How hard it is for people to grasp that different people enjoy different things in games? That not everyone has to share your opinion on particular game mechanics, visuals, game design or even cut-scenes? That the story some people find deep and enjoyable is gibberish for others; that controls that some find broken works perfectly for others?

But nope, if I don't like something, then nobody should like it! And if they do, then that must mean they are fanboys!
Thank you for articulating this. I wanted to point out the hypocrisy of him wielding a MGS avatar and championing MGS4 as some masterpiece when he accuses anyone who likes RE6 of "just being a fan." Fuck no, if anything, long-time RE fans are the ones least able to come to grips with the radical changes here. (And I personally think RE1-CV sucked from a controls standpoint.)

gconsole

People who like RE6 seems to understand the reason why other people won't like RE6.

People who don't like RE6 seems to don't understand why other people will like RE6.

That's what I get from this thread. Sorry to say.

Neiteio

People who like RE6 seems to understand the reason why other people won't like RE6.

People who don't like RE6 seems to don't understand why other people will like RE6.

Exactly. Basically, the people who hate RE6 are telling people who like RE6 that they don't really like RE6. Sorry, but that's not their call to make.

Lucent

Exactly. I was using a Gorillaz avatar of 2-D when I joined. Then I had Vergil from the new DmC game (because he was just announced and I liked his design). I am using my current avatar because RE6 was close. And I have played it. I own it. I love it. I don't understand how anyone could PRETEND to like something. I don't.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Pretty much. I'm loving the game but it's very clear to me why a lot of others don't care for it.

Neiteio

I actually contemplated changing my avatar to something non-RE-related when the RE6 demo finally clicked for me and I realized I like the game, since I knew that having an RE avatar here would get one branded as a fanboy, which again is bullshit. If you don't like RE6, fine, I could care less, but don't tell -me- that I don't like something. I'll explain why I like it, but an opinion to the contrary does nothing to invalidate the fundamental fact that despite the game's objective flaws, -I- still find myself oddly addicted to this game and experience far more fun than frustration.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SMH at people complaining about MGS4 controls. At least MGS4 knew what it was, a tactical espionage action game with a clear vision.

Except those controls get in the way of you being a tactical espionage person.

There was times where I was trying to use the MGS3 controls and flubbed/got spotted because of it. Add in that CQC is completely neutered and other issues with CQC on R1 (flipping someone disarming them) and the like, and yeah... MGS4's controls get in a way of what could potentially be a decent playing game.

Neiteio

It's kind of illuminating that some of RE6's control detractors are fans of MGS4 controls or (even more unthinkable) RE1's unbearable tank controls.

meta4

Except those controls get in the way of you being a tactical espionage person.

There was times where I was trying to use the MGS3 controls and flubbed/got spotted because of it. Add in that CQC is completely neutered and other issues with CQC on R1 (flipping someone disarming them) and the like, and yeah... MGS4's controls get in a way of what could potentially be a decent playing game.

MGS4 is a masterpiece with universal acclaim. Cant believe people are comparing that to this turd. The controls are not the easiest to grasp but atleast the camera was not stuck so close behind snake's backside such that you could not see shit when performing CQC or while shooting. Atleast you could see the enemies and see you surrounding while RE6 has black patches in levels where you cant see anything. MGS4 actually has gameplay between cutscenes and not a zillion QTE's . Oh and even MGS4 has better gun feedback than RE6. A 2008 game is doing this better. There is a reason one got critical acclaim and the other one is sitting at 66 on MC.

Neiteio

MGS4 is a masterpiece with universal acclaim. Cant believe people are comparing that to this turd. The controls are not the easiest to grasp but atleast the camera was not stuck so close behind snake's backside such that you could not see shit when performing CQC or while shooting. Atleast you could see the enemies and see you surrounding while RE6 has black patches in levels where you cant see anything. MGS4 actually has gameplay between cutscenes and not a zillion QTE's . Oh and even MGS4 has better gun feedback than RE6. A 2008 game is doing this better. There is a reason one got critical acclaim and the other one is sitting at 66 on MC.
- Calibrate your TV
- Gun feedback is fine
- Create a thread on GAF titled "MGS4 is a masterpiece with universal acclaim." I dare you.

Anyway, just read in the OT you can do special melees when your back is turned to an enemy -- an elbow to the face, stunning the enemy, followed by a powerful beatdown. Also, you can paint targets for your AI partner with L1 and Circle -- your AI partner will then prioritize those target first. Good for taking out snipers when you're Chris and you want Piers to snipe back.

Lucent

Yeah, because Metacritic means everything.

- Calibrate your TV
- Gun feedback is fine
- Create a thread on GAF titled "MGS4 is a masterpiece with universal acclaim." I dare you.

Anyway, just read in the OT you can do special melees when your back is turned to an enemy -- an elbow to the face, stunning the enemy, followed by a powerful beatdown. Also, you can paint targets for your AI partner with L1 and Circle -- your AI partner will then prioritize those target first. Good for taking out snipers when you're Chris and you want Piers to snipe back.

Yeah, I really think it depends on the TV and settings. I'm using a 22" LED TV (LG). I don't know if it depends on CRT/Plasma/LCD/LED, but it looks fine on mine. I didn't have to adjust anything even on the dark areas.

Gunfeedback is definitely fine. I can tell the enemies are being shot.

The last one would be funny. I swear no matter what game I see being praised, there is someone there to bash it. I've seen people hate on Earthbound and stuff. What the hell? Guess the battle system isn't their style. Or they're too serious. Or something. lol

And man I didn't know any of that. Makes for some awesome tactical possibilities. =D

Neiteio

No only those few who praise RE6 mean everything.
You miss his point: The critics praised MGS4, but nowadays at GAF it's pretty much seen as shit. In other words: Make up your own goddamn mind. Stop caring what others think. Why does it bother you that people -enjoy- RE6? You don't see them trying to convince those who dislike it to feel otherwise. They just explain why they like it. So why sling nonsense like "You only like it because you're a fan?" What? Fuck no. In fact, the long-time fans are probably the ones most alienated, if anything.

meta4

- Calibrate your TV
- Gun feedback is fine

Actually just check the trophy patch thread and what people replaying it have to say here in GAF about MGS4. Just check what GAF gave GOTY to not once but twice . Now why dont you start a thread about how RE6 controls are super deep and camera is exemplary. I dare you.

You miss his point: The critics praised MGS4, but nowadays at GAF it's pretty much seen as shit. In other words: Make up your own goddamn mind. Stop caring what others think. Why does it bother you that people -enjoy- RE6? You don't see them trying to convince those who dislike it to feel otherwise. They just explain why they like it. So why sling nonsense like "You only like it because you're a fan?" What? Fuck no. In fact, the long-time fans are probably the ones most alienated, if anything.

It does not bother me at all. Why does it bother you that some of us think its shit. Did I say you did not like it? A lot of people including myself think this is a turd and rightfully got the scores it deserves. This is a thread discussing RE6 reviews. A lot of us think the scores are accurate. The "you only like it because you are a fan stuff" was not me. I do not know why you are telling me this since I did not start the avatar debate at all.

Neiteio

Actually just check the trophy patch thread and what people replaying it have to say here in GAF about MGS4. Just check what GAF gave GOTY to not once but twice . Now why dont you start a thread about how RE6 controls are super deep and camera is exemplary. I dare you.
Um, RE6's controls having deep mechanics is irrefutable fact -- there's nothing subjective about the presence of them. You can list all the tactical options at your disposal and it's there.

And GAF shits on MGS4 all the time. Same for GTAIV, another "lauded" game. Doesn't prove anything other than the fact that it's a polarizing game.

It does not bother me at all. Why does it bother you that some of us think its shit. Did I say you did not like it? A lot of people including myself think this is a turd and rightfully got the scores it deserves. This is a thread discussing RE6 reviews. A lot of us think the scores are accurate. The you only like it because you are a fan stuff was not me. I do not know why you are telling me this since I did not start the avatar debate at all.
The fan bit wasn't directed at you. I was speaking to this "debate" in general. The bottom line is: the people who like it, genuinely like it. Those who don't, don't, though I hope they actually -played- the game and gave it some time to make that determination. And I have repeatedly said I don't care if people don't like the game -- I just don't like them challenging the "authenticity" of the people who do.

Lucent

How can you give a game GOTY twice?

GAF does not represent every gamer in the world.

Dibbz

How can you give a game GOTY twice?

GAF does not represent every gamer in the world.

It was given GoTY by GAF in 2008 when it came out. Then in 2010 or 2011 GAF went back and made another poll to see if peoples minds had changed regarding the GoTY for 2008 and it got voted GoTY again.

Lucent

It was given GoTY by GAF in 2008 when it came out. Then in 2010 or 2011 GAF went back and made another poll to see if peoples minds had changed regarding the GoTY for 2008 and it got voted GoTY again.

Umm...okay I guess that makes sense. I don't even remember all the games that came out in 2008. lol

Neiteio

And yet I find myself having to defend MGS4 in every LTTP on it (yes, I actually like the game). MGS4 is unquestionably a polarizing game, very much a confused one mechanically and bloated and self-indulgent, yet like RE6, I like it regardless.

meta4

Yeah, because Metacritic means everything.

No it does not. But since this is a discussion on RE6 reviews and whether they are accurate and MGS4 for some reason was got into this discussion I stated there was a reason why reviewers found MGS4 to be great and why some universally felt RE6 was mediocre. I just stated what the problems were and why it completely justified the below average scores. Sure you are free to enjoy it and disagree. I never claimed that reviews or GAF speak for every gamer out there. There is no single entity that represents gamers everywhere. There are people who enjoyed ORC as well.

Z3M0G

When RE4 came out, I argued that they didn't change the way the game played at all, only the camera perspective and increased vertical accuracy of aiming... same tank movement controls, same aiming controls, etc. from the original games.

Lucent

No it does not. But since this is a discussion on RE6 reviews and whether they are accurate and MGS4 for some reason was got into this discussion I stated there was a reason why reviewers found MGS4 to be great and why some universally felt RE6 was mediocre. I just stated what the problems were and why iy completely justified the below average scores. Sure you are free to enjoy it and disagree. I never claimed that reviews or GAF speak for every gamer out there. There is no single entity that represents gamers everywhere. There are people who enjoyed ORC as well.

Good to know. -pats- =)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Also, you can paint targets for your AI partner with L1 and Circle -- your AI partner will then prioritize those target first. Good for taking out snipers when you're Chris and you want Piers to snipe back.

Whoah, I did not know that. That will definitely be useful against those damn snipers.

Lucent

Quite a few major ones. GTA4 and Fallout 3 immediately spring to mind as some of the high profile ones.

Ah yeah. Mmmm...I think between the three I probably would've chose MGS4, too. The other two were great though.

YOU HAVE AN RE AVATAR THAT IS NOT A VALID OPINION FOR YOU TO TAKE. WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN THE HIVE MIND? ALL HAIL LORD SADDLER!

-repeatedly chants- lord Saddler, lord Saddler, lord Saddler...

Dahbomb

When RE4 came out, I argued that they didn't change the way the game played at all, only the camera perspective and increased vertical accuracy of aiming... same tank movement controls, same aiming controls, etc. from the original games.
And it does have tank controls with a different camera perspective.

What makes RE4 excellent are not the controls or camera (they are average at best), it's the pacing and general design of the game which is top notch. It's hilarious that of all the things people ape from RE4, they don't copy the stuff that actually makes it replayable after all those years. Instead we have people copying the QTEs from RE4.

I finished the Leon and Chris campaigns of RE6 with a friend and started on the Jake campaign. The game has its moments and low points.. it's not a 3-4 out of 10 but it's a rather mediocre RE game when all is said and done. I think the convoluted controls might be helped with the PC version just like with Lost Planet 2 but I don't think I will bother with the PC version to find out. Right now it's looking like between the new DmC game and RE6... DmC might end up being the better game.

Neiteio

For the record, I do feel RE6 is a 6/10 or 7/10 game -- but I love it regardless. See, there's a difference between objectively evaluating a game and saying how you feel about it as a whole. A game can be more than the sum of its parts.

Talking objectively about MGS4, people find fault with its inexcusable cutscene bloat and shoddying storytelling (the insufferable Drebin being the worst), the fidgety controls and finger gymnastics, the brain-dead stealth sections, the muddy sub-HD graphics, the completely out-of-place third chapter and splintered nature of the fifth chapter, the terrible boss battles, etc. But despite MGS4's objective faults, I love the game.

Same here.

Lucent

It obviously means a lot given how much defending of RE6 is going on.

What I mean is I don't care and that it seemed like people were using it as "WELL METACRITIC SAID SO MY HATE MUST BE JUSTIFIED". That's how I felt. I'm just glad I like the game so it's all good.

And when I look at Metacritic, I do see that there are more than just bad reviews, so there is a CHANCE I could like it, too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They offered a LOT of additional freedom to the player in terms of navigation but, most importantly, it was the quality of the enemies and the way they reacted to your attacks that made the most difference.

Dahbomb

They offered a LOT of additional freedom to the player in terms of navigation but, most importantly, it was the quality of the enemies and the way they reacted to your attacks that made the most difference.
A quality that is sorely missing in RE6.

Neiteio

Well, that and the camera no longer being abysmal.

Neiteio

The enemies in this game have Uncharted 3-ism where you bullets feel like you're shooting brick walls. ESPECIALLY during boss fights where it doesn't seem like my bullets are doing anything.
Maybe the bosses and some of the mutations are bullet-spongy, but the humanoid enemies give feedback. They shudder and stagger and trip when shot, you can flinch them with dazing headshots for over-the-top melees, and they dramatically disintegrate (or melt: see zombies) when killed, sometimes before even fully collapsing to the ground.

Z3M0G

What makes RE4 excellent are not the controls or camera (they are average at best), it's the pacing and general design of the game which is top notch. It's hilarious that of all the things people ape from RE4, they don't copy the stuff that actually makes it replayable after all those years. Instead we have people copying the QTEs from RE4.

That requires actual talent... which is not always an available resource.

Top Bottom