• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - Review Thread | Activist Reviews and the Hate Patrol Destroy Truth™

SmokyDave

Oh shut up. That's got to be the laziest argument ever. How about you try debating the points instead of dismissing everything due to "LOL RE AVATARS."

It really isn't a lazy argument. It's something that I often ponder in many discussions on here. If you're 'defending' the thing that you've chosen to represent yourself, how can you expect anyone to think you're objective or impartial? It is self-evident that you're not.

I don't get it and I almost think it's worth a topic in it's own right.

So you seriously judge people by their avatar? lol
Why wouldn't you?

Do people habitually use completely random pictures that they feel no connection to whatsoever?

I mean, a funny face or animal image or pattern is one thing but when you 'wear' a game-related image, you're pretty much showing your support for that game, surely?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can you explain...unless it would spoil?
The very first part is kind of funny.

Huge, super ornate looking Chinese mansion -> tank rolls into mansion and proceeds to chase your characters through the hallways.

It looks deliciously cheesy and awesome.

Sojgat

Like any Capcom game the defenders always have an ace in the hole and it's always the depth of the gameplay. Apparently RE6 is so uber hardcore those who hate it clearly have not put the time to master its controls. Shit like that would fly in a fighter or action game like DMC but this is a TPS and a very poorly made one at that.

Yeah, I don't know about the "Capcom defenders", but the depth of the combat in RE6 is excellent IMO. Some of the other gameplay is for shit, as people have mentioned. The game is being defended based on the areas in which it's good. Nobody is claiming that the true depth of the QTE car keys sequence is being overlooked.

Curufinwe

I honestly think when you're going full on defence force as hard as some people are in this thread, you should at least change your avatars beforehand. RE avatars, c'mon, what is this amateur hour?

It's like animu avatars in a pedophile defence thread.

If you want to accuse fellow GAF members of being pedophiles go do it to them directly in a Off-Topic thread instead of bringing that bullshit in here.

Replicant

Can you explain...unless it would spoil?

Nothing that you won't see in a latest blockbuster movie. I don't understand what's so bad about it? I mean we're talking about a game about Biohazard infection that turns people into zombie, FFS. This game simply adds some action spectacle on top of it.

Basically: Resident Evil movie is now playable on your gaming console.

Endo Punk

SMH at people complaining about MGS4 controls. At least MGS4 knew what it was, a tactical espionage action game with a clear vision. RE6 has so many hands in the pot it's a damn clusterfuck of a title. It's not that I have a problem with people liking the game but they defend it like it's the correction course of action for a RE title. Do you guys really want it to turn into a Michael Bay action film with even worse direction?

You gotta stop enabling Capcom to fuck up all the time. It's no wonder why they have yet to release new IP's or sequels in a franchise that exceed those in previous gens. Ultimately Capom fans are their undoing.

SmokyDave

I do.

I assume other people do as well. Either way, judging someone by their avatar is seriously childish.

I would understand an argument that it was poor judgement but you've lost me with 'childish'. I can't see how drawing an obvious conclusion is 'childish'. This is probably off topic though, so I'll leave it at that.

Riposte

It really isn't a lazy argument. It's something that I often ponder in many discussions on here. If you're 'defending' the thing that you've chosen to represent yourself, how can you expect anyone to think you're objective or impartial? It is self-evident that you're not.

Why wouldn't you?

Do people habitually use completely random pictures?

It is pretty silly, because it ultimately doesn't matter if someone is "objective" or "impartial". We are exchanging opinions. The failure here is failing to meet the effort it takes to debate those opinions and instead finding means to dismiss them. I've always saw it as a little joke, but here we are taking it seriously. NeoGAF.

WTF!? MGS4 controls were very well designed. And no you could not slit the guys throat by holding CQC button(L1 down), to do that you need to press triangle. People are really grasping for straws if they feel the need to hate on MGS4 controls which are perfect.

Errr... if RE6 controls are not well designed, MGS4 were not well designed. If you consider RE6 controls well designed, then I can understand you calling mgs4 controls well designed.

Because it had inconsistencies that made it a headache for many people (example: the low playerbase of MGO refers to this. Some people may have liked the game for the story and could bear the gameplay. But they sure as hell wouldn't play solely based on the gameplay).

For the record, going peek shooting with iron sights required you to aim, press triangle, then Dpad to the side and R1 to shoot.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, a funny face or animal image or pattern is one thing but when you 'wear' a game-related image, you're pretty much showing your support for that game, surely?

What you're doing is an ad hominem attack: you're attacking me for who I am versus what I'm saying. It's a logical fallacy; I may an RE fan but that doesn't inherently devalue my opinions on RE.

dark10x

Yeah, I don't know about the "Capcom defenders", but the depth of the combat in RE6 is excellent IMO. Some of the other gameplay is for shit, as people have mentioned. The game is being defended based on the areas in which it's good. Nobody is claiming that the true depth of the QTE car keys sequence is being overlooked.
QTEs are another interesting thing. I'm surprised by the hate people have for such things. I actually kind of appreciate them in most games as it allows them to do some interesting one-off sequences.

The events that occur when you're attacked, however, are very much like what we've had in RE4 and 5 already, however.

RE4 and God of War were the games that really seemed to kick-off the modern QTE implementations and I like them. It almost seems like people are including every context sensitive button press under the QTE umbrella.

There's very little in here along the lines of Shenmue where you simply watch a scene and press the appropriate buttons to continue said scene.

SMH at people complaining about MGS4 controls. At least MGS4 knew what it was, a tactical espionage action game with a clear vision. RE6 has so many hands in the pot it's a damn clusterfuck of a title. It's not that I have a problem with people liking the game but they defend it like it's the correction course of action for a RE title. Do you guys really want it to turn into a Michael Bay action film with even worse direction?
Yeah, kind of. I only really like RE4-6, to be honest. The older series was always appealing to me but I thought they played terribly (they sure as shit weren't scary). I wouldn't mind seeing them try something different either, however.

Haunted

Why wouldn't you?

Do people habitually use completely random pictures that they feel no connection to whatsoever?

Exactly.

No one is talking about completely dismissing people off-hand just because of their avatar, but surely it's an indication.

All I'm saying is that people should be smart about this as not to undermine their own arguments by having a Mario ♥ Peach avatar when saying NSMBU is technically impossible to do online and that's why Nintendo can't do it.

ErikB

Banned

Yes. And frankly, at this point not wearing an (RE6) Resident Evil avatar just shows you haven't fully understood what a revolution in game design it is!!11!!!!

:0)

Nibel

So MGS4 controls being complicated makes RE6 controls good now?

MGS4 controls worked despite being deep since they fit the game itself; it was slow and more tactical and therefore there is more room for that.

RE6 wants to be fast, has dozens enemies with guns on screen and expects the player to be effective as possible, but it fails because it controls aren't good enough for a TPS and way to overloaded with features that aren't really necessary like on the ground combat which made way more sense in Max Payne 3 or Metal Gear Solid 4.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

You gotta stop enabling Capcom to fuck up all the time. It's no wonder why they have yet to release new IP's or sequels in a franchise that exceed those in previous gens. Ultimately Capom fans are their undoing.

I don't think anyone has said that this is the direction that they want RE to continue going in (at least, no one whose name is not ErikB). What we're saying is the game is fun and we don't understand some of the criticisms that are being brought up against it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Exactly.

No one is talking about completely dismissing people off-hand just because of their avatar, but surely it's an indication.

All I'm saying is that people should be smart about this as not to undermine their own arguments by having a Mario ♥ Peach avatar when saying NSMBU is technically impossible to do online and that's why Nintendo can't do it.
Can you tell me where your avatar is from so I can use it to support lazy arguments in the future
--

Also, MGS4 was a confused game too. Not confused to the extent of RE6, but not as focused as you guys are trying to make it sound. It's one of the game's problems.

Haunted

The game lost me when Brad did the GB QL and he did a sweet suplex on some zombie that should've thrown him over a ledge down a canyon but invisible walls prevented that and the animation bumped awkwardly around to stay within the invisible confines of the world.

Boo, Capcom. Boo.

Can you tell me where your avatar is from so I can use it to support lazy arguments in the future
That's the shopkeeper from Spelunky. Fantastic game, you should buy it.

Riposte

MGS4 controls worked despite being deep since they fit the game itself; it was slow and more tactical and therefore there is more room for that.

RE6 wants to be fast, has dozens enemies with guns on screen and expects the player to be effective as possible, but it fails because it controls aren't good enough for a TPS and way to overloaded with features that aren't really necessary like on the ground combat which made way more sense in Max Payne 3 or Metal Gear Solid 4.

Prone shooting is good for avoiding enemies by giving yourself a less accessible hitbox, shooting enemies after a dodge, hitting small enemies like dogs, and recovers stamina faster. Personally, I found it really handy to deal with snipers since they can't keep up with rolling.

The game lost me when Brad did the GB QL and he did a sweet suplex on some zombie that should've thrown him over a ledge down a canyon but invisible walls prevented that and the animation bumped awkwardly around to stay within the invisible confines of the world.

Boo, Capcom. Boo.

That will be next-gen

Endo Punk

I look forward to the next title Capcpom fans use as a scapegoat for RE6 failings. There was Max Payne 3, MGS4 and multiple times.

RE6 is bad but Skyrim is worse, just look at all those glitches!

Nibel

I don't think anyone has said that this is the direction that they want RE to continue going in (at least, no one whose name is not ErikB). What we're saying is the game is fun and we don't understand some of the criticisms that are being brought up against it.

So you don't like the direction RE is taking and give Capcom your money because fuck it the game is fun and it has the name RE on it?

Is this how modern gamers answer to problems? Pulling out their wallet, saying "fuck it" and calling it a day?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Just goes to show how much you know about the mechanics in RE6. When a dog or an enemy is diving at you, diving backwards and shooting them when they land is a godsend. It allows you to avoid damage and hit them back. I was in a boss fight yesterday where I had to lure him next to explosive barrels and shoot them to damage him. Problem is he's REALLY fast, so I started sprinting past barrels, going into a slide, doing a 180 degree turn mid slide, and shooting the barrels while on my back as he was barreling towards me.

The controls aren't simple, but they work, and they're fun.

So you don't like the direction RE is taking and give Capcom your money because fuck it the game is fun and it has the name RE on it?

Is this how modern gamers answer to problems? Pulling out their wallet, saying "fuck it" and calling it a day?

Umm, yes? I don't know about you, but I don't have a philosophical beef with Capcom. As long as the game is fun, I'll play it. Do I really need to do an existential analysis every time I decide to buy a video game?

Izick

Holy fuck are the reviews bad.

I just read through Giant Bomb's review, because they usually sock it to you straight, and holy fuck.

--

Also, MGS4 was a confused game too. Not confused to the extent of RE6, but not as focused as you guys are trying to make it sound. It's one of the game's problems.

tactical espionage action! *leaves erotic magazine on the floor*

*has a railgun*

*has a solar gun*

*leads robots to secret base*

Mk.II had more espionage than snake himself because it jumped on a boat.

Endo Punk

If one looks hard enough every single game made has its merits. But by doing so you enable the devs to continue with all the bad ideas implemented. As a full price purchase it's a terrible game.

meta4

Wow I cant believe people actually think that the Jake part of the video which I posted is cool. I have lost all hope for this franchise. If that is cool I guess anything is possible now in this franchise and Capcom has been given full liberty. RE7 could literally be anything at this point. It could become a turn based JRPG now and It will still sell. I have resigned myself to this.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I cant believe people actually think that the Jake part of the video which I posted is cool. I have lost all hope for this franchise. If that is cool I guess anything is possible now in this franchise and Capcom has been given full liberty. RE7 could literally be anything at this point. It could become a turn based JRPG now and It will still sell. I have resigned myself to this.

Join_the_dark_side_for_free_by_astronok.jpg

Endo Punk

Wow I cant believe people actually think that the Jake part of the video which I posted is cool. I have lost all hope for this franchise. If that is cool I guess anything is possible now in this franchise and Capcom has been given full liberty. RE7 could literally be anything at this point. It will still sell. I have resigned myself to this.

The fans don't give a fuck what Resident Evil is as long as it's called Resident Evil they will defend it to the ends of the earth.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

But the wall came down and everything.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's the shopkeeper from Spelunky. Fantastic game, you should buy it.
I'll pass, lol.
tactical espionage action! *leaves erotic magazine on the floor*

*has a railgun*

*has a solar gun*

*leads robots to secret base*

Mk.II had more espionage than snake himself because it jumped on a boat.
It's a bit of a mess, each act feels so disconnected.
If one looks hard enough every single game made has its merits. But by doing so you enable the devs to continue with all the bad ideas implemented. As a full price purchase it's a terrible game.
A terrible game is terrible at any price. Naturally, a lower price makes it easier to stop playing a game and cut your losses. Which is what you should do with a terrible game because it's bad to waste time playing them.

Riposte

The fans don't give a fuck what Resident Evil is as long as it's called Resident Evil they will defend it to the ends of the earth.

Sure and you seem eager to join them in their myopia. It is funny when a thread turns into being more about which brands and ideas people choose to associate themselves with than the ideas themselves. It isn't about RE6 with you, it is that people like RE6.

EDIT: And to explicitly express something I've said before: Your previous history as a Capcom fanboy doesn't necessarily give you a special insight on what others think, in fact it might have just damaged your perception of people.

I look forward to the next title Capcpom fans use as a scapegoat for RE6 failings. There was Max Payne 3, MGS4 and multiple times.

RE6 is bad but Skyrim is worse, just look at all those glitches!

Don't forget about RE4. I definitely read about RE4 being put down: "It wasn't that great anyway!"

Seriously, I can't believe I'm reading stuff like this. Yeah, that'll make your game better.

Endo Punk

Sure and you seem eager to join them in their myopia. It is funny when a thread turns into being more about which brands and ideas people choose to associate themselves with than the ideas themselves. It isn't about RE6 with you, it is that people like RE6.

Yep people like that it's called RE6.

Neiteio

MGS4 was confused as fuck. First, forget for a second half of the game is a poorly edited and poorly told cutscene. The parts that you actually play are good the first couple chapters (albeit interrupted too often, once again, by cutscenes). The boss battles are terrible, though. Then you have the third chapter, which is a neat riff on film noir, but is tedious and drawn out for the first part, overblown on-rails middle part, and so-so boss fight for the final part, capped off by the worst cutscene in MGS history. Then you have the fourth chapter, probably the best in the game (thanks nostalgia!), but again, decidedly splintered: blow up some robots in a hangar, tiresome cutscene in control room, elude Gekkos in cramped quarters, snowstorm shootout (probably the highlight), and then zapping Gekkos in splitscreen and wonky mech fight at the end. And then the fifth chapter... Well, the fifth chapter was one well-made sneak scene, short but sweet, and then a terrible boss fight, followed by an even more terrible boss fight. MGS4 is so splintered and fragmented and incohesive that I can literally break it down piece by piece. It certainly shouldn't be championed as any better than RE6, not from an objective standpoint, though like RE6, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

dark10x

Don't forget about RE4. I definitely read about RE4 being put down: "It wasn't that great anyway!"

Seriously, I can't believe I'm reading stuff like this. Yeah, that'll make your game better.
That's just insane. RE4 is one of the finest action games ever made and is the first RE game I really loved.

Tain

I'm hearing that this game is a mess, inconsistent, a clusterfuck, was worked on by too many people, and so on, and at just about two campaigns complete I'm not seeing it.

The Leon campaign set my expectations in terms of enemy and setting variety. The Chris campaign has kept up completely. The hiccups in quality are surprisingly rare given how long the game is.

Top Bottom