• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Resident Evil Revelations" announced for Nintendo 3DS [N-CONF]

Shred0r

Banned
My bet: shots are pulled from engine cutscenes so chances are the real-time graphics might be a little bit weaker. But seeing how great MGS3 looks on the 3DS which level of detail is on the same level i do not question those screens. But keep in mind, the MGS3 screens are also taken from engine cutscenes. I am not sure how big there is a difference in visual fidelity between the ingame and cutscene gfx of MGS3 on the PS2, as a clue to how the gfx might actually look ingame for both MGS3DS and RE:Revelations. All in all, i have faith that the gfx will maintain almost the same level of greatness ingame but without some fancy post-production effects. Damn, i have never owned a Nintendo System but now i am really pumped for the 3DS! If the 3D effect will add that much to the immersion of gaming i am definitely sold on it. Otherwise i will just stick with the PS3 as only gaming platform, with top-notch gfx (PC excluded) and 3D-Effect support (but with glasses required what could make it to be a pain in the ass expericence for many glasses wearers). I kinda cannot imagine myself to put those bulky Sony glasses on top of my normal ones. Hope it fits and that the additional weight on my nose wont distract me from gaming and keeps the whole gaming still at comfy levels.

Therefore the real-time ingame gfx compared to the press screens should be like this:

- degradation in terms of lighting fidelity
- degradation in terms of smoothness (no AA probably)
- degradation in terms of texture fidelity

But i really hope they can keep the polygon complexity :)

Wallach

Souldriver said:
Wait, I was under the impression that there was just a trailer playing of this game on the demo 3DS'es...?

That's what I'd understood as well.

I'll wait for video I think, none of the other games they showed even approach that kind of real-time power, and none of it is shown from a gameplay perspective.

Sadist said:
Serious question: what are the chances that at some point this was Resident Evil PSP?

Because of the absence at the Sony presser...

i remember them saying the RE on PSP was exclusive and built FOR the PSP. unless someone has that segment or any other press releases from last year laying around.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/992/992945p1.html

"I can tell you that Capcom is working very closely with Sony on this title, as it's something that both companies have wanted on the PSP for quite some time," Kramer writes.

"It's not a 'remake' of a previous RE game, but an all-new title created specifically for the PSP platform, with the PSP Go in mind."

Souldriver said:
Wait, I was under the impression that there was just a trailer playing of this game on the demo 3DS'es...?

It was a non-playable cutscene, but more than one source has reported that it was running in realtime with a controllable camera.

The M.O.B

So this is real time.

Real-time= The system rendering what is happening in realtime, mostly cut-scenes though.

In-game= What you actually control and can play.

Then you have cut-scenes that are just video footage, which is what i though this was originally.

This is real-time, its a cut-scene but the 3DS is actually rendering it, Just without any a.i or anything else outside the scene.

.......I think I wrote that correctly........

Wallach

The M.O.B said:
So this is real time.

Real-time= The system rendering what is happening in realtime, mostly cut-scenes though.

In-game= What you actually control and can play.

Then you have cut-scenes that are just video footage, which is what i though this was originally.

This is real-time, its a cut-scene but the 3DS is actually rendering it, Just without any a.i or anything else outside the scene.

.......I think I wrote that correctly........

I think most of us know what "real-time" means.

My doubt mainly comes from the fact that those shots seem to dwarf every other real-time demo shown at the conference. Even Capcom's other shown title (SSF43D) doesn't come within sniffing distance of graphics like that.

DiscoJer

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i remember them saying the RE on PSP was exclusive and built FOR the PSP. unless someone has that segment or any other press releases from last year laying around.

The same Capcom that was making Monster Hunter 3 exclusively for the PS3...

FoneBone

Wallach said:
My doubt mainly comes from the fact that those shots seem to dwarf every other real-time demo shown at the conference. Even Capcom's other shown title (SSF43D) doesn't come within sniffing distance of graphics like that.
This. NEED video, ASAP.

Wallach said:
That's what I'd understood as well.

I'll wait for video I think, none of the other games they showed even approach that kind of real-time power, and none of it is shown from a gameplay perspective.

Street Fighter IV and MGS:3D do, the confined environments are clearly helping to push RE another level above them though.

cvxfreak

This reminds me indeed of Resident Evil 4 and Monster Hunter 3, games which were slated for Sony platform debuts but ended up hitting Nintendo systems instead.

L00P

cvxfreak said:
This reminds me indeed of Resident Evil 4 and Monster Hunter 3, games which were slated for Sony platform debuts but ended up hitting Nintendo systems instead.

Capcom is like a slut who sleeps with everyone

she IS pretty sexy...

bridegur

If the 3DS is actually capable of producing games that look this good, I'm more than confused about all of Nintendo's 1st party games. Not that they look bad, but they come nowhere near this quality.

entremet

bridegur said:
If the 3DS is actually capable of producing games that look this good, I'm more than confused about all of Nintendo's 1st party games. Not that they look bad, but they come nowhere near this quality.
Well...Nintendo hasn't really had experience with hardware more advanced than Gamecube/Wii level. 3rd parties have been cutting their teeth on PC/PS3/360 for over 5 years now.

bridegur said:

They could have been targeting a different level of hardware initially, many are based on up/down porting of GCN/NDS/GCN assets and Nintendo haven't ever developed any games for modern hardware. There's all sorts of reasons.

DiscoJer said:
The same Capcom that was making Monster Hunter 3 exclusively for the PS3...

there's still a difference between "working closely with sony" and just bringing an expected franchise into a new gen for the first time (especially one that does way better in japan than the west). there's an RE on all current gen consoles/handhelds now except PSP.

MH3 on PS3 was also not dated at all. it was a general "we have begun development" whereas RE:pSP was given at least a vague 2010.

goomba

Banned
Really want to know what kind of CPU this thing has, especially if its really going to have DSi like battery life..... how is babby formed?

I'm inclined to think that those are ingame cutscenes running off the game engine. Compare, for example, the cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid to the gameplay graphics. In short the game will look very pretty but not quite that pretty.

keep in mind 3DS has a resolution of 800x240 (with 3D effect applied).
that's 0.192 mpixels, compared to 0.921 mpixels for 720p. at that low of a resolution (roughly 1/5th) I don't doubt first generation games can look that good.

DiscoJer

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
there's still a difference between "working closely with sony" and just bringing an expected franchise into a new gen for the first time (especially one that does way better in japan than the west). there's an RE on all current gen consoles/handhelds now except PSP.

MH3 on PS3 was also not dated at all. it was a general "we have begun development" whereas RE:pSP was given at least a vague 2010.

Yeah. But my point was, it's hardly unprecedented to yank a game from a Sony platform to a Nintendo one (or even simply X to Y).

In this case, I guess it was further in development. Which does explain why it seems to be a whole new game, while most other 3DS announced titles seem to be enhanced ports or remakes.

Father_Brain said:
I'm starting to believe that they might be real, but I demand video first.
Could still be a prerendered video with little to no compression artifacts, just that they kept some of the aliasing in when recording it. Unless it's playable, there is no way to tell how it will look.

Cipherr

Ill bet all the hardware isnt finalized yet, and the devs are making stuff on either dev kits from other systems while aiming at the projected specs or something similar. Kid Icarus and MGS alone should tell us that. The difference in those two are staggering. I would have thought MG was bullshots or CG until I saw the real time manipulative video of it proving it was realtime.

So the question becomes, holy crap at the difference between MG and KI and why is it so large. They must not have final kits out yet. The difference in the different games is all over the place.

Wallach

Puncture said:
Ill bet all the hardware isnt finalized yet, and the devs are making stuff on either dev kits from other systems while aiming at the projected specs or something similar. Kid Icarus and MGS alone should tell us that. The difference in those two are staggering. I would have thought MG was bullshots or CG until I saw the real time manipulative video of it proving it was realtime.

So the question becomes, holy crap at the difference between MG and KI and why is it so large. They must not have final kits out yet. The difference in the different games is all over the place.

In the "Iwata Asks" video with Sakurai, I think they mention Iwata first approached Sakurai about 3DS in mid-2008. Who knows when they actually started development on it but given he was the first developer outside Nintendo to know about it I'm sure it was long before the guys at Konami had a chance to start working on MGS3D.

Nessus

I doubt anyone wants to hear it, but Nintendo was never really traditionally associated with pushing hardware and making the best looking games, graphically.

Compare most of Nintendo's GameCube output to Resident Evil 4. Wind Waker is the only real exception I can think of from that generation, and that's more stylistic, less of a technical accomplishment.

It's really only recently with Wii needing *someone* to step up to the plate, and specifically with EAD Tokyo, that they've taken on this association.

Nintendo has released plenty of games that were good looking, but did not exactly push the hardware to its limit. Gameplay and controls were always their primary focus, as it should be.

In general it's usually been third parties that push Nintendo's hardware to the limit: Iridon 3D, Square's output on DS, Conker's Bad Fur Day (not third party, but it was not one of Nintendo's in house Japanese devs, Rare differed philosophically), Star Fox Adventures, Rogue Leader, Resident Evil (remake), etc.

I dunno, I think that Revelations could very well end up looking like that in game, with Capcom's track record with the series.

Keeping in mind these are the very first generation of 3DS titles, before devs have even gotten comfortable with the hardware.

Leonsito

More confirmation that this was real-time:

In a similar vein to the MGS demo we have Resident Evil: Revelations from Capcom. No gameplay environments, but what we do have is a cut-scene featuring dynamic camera tweaking, zoom options and a pause button for appreciating some of the more spectacular shots.

What impresses here is that it looks as though Capcom has tried to scale back its Resident Evil 5 models to work on the 3DS. While backgrounds are very simplistic, those player models are astonishingly well-realised and very good-looking. The fact that the Chris Redfield model is readily recognisable from his HD adventures speaks for itself.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-nintendo-3ds

Mafro

2mzywi1.jpg

Is that Hunk?

Jex

Man people are extremely sceptical about the 3DS's power, but I don't see why.

It's a 2010 handheld, of course it will look good.

olimpia84

Yes, that's Hunk.
Regarding the graphics...I need to see more before I pass judgment. I mean, not even Nintendo games looked as good as this.

No idea, always possible.

The 3DS is throwing me off so much not because it's bad or anything but somehow I keep thinking of chunky blocky DS graphics in my mind, the inclusion of being able to use shaders is such an IMPROVEMENT, it's been missing from handhealds for too long and while the iPhone 3gs can do them, no one out there bothers because most of the iPhone users are on older regular models.

When I first bought a DS it came with a packed in mario kart and I also bought RE:DS which was a great port of the original game, but it also became boring within about 2 weeks as the new content was light and the graphics were not really that much of a boost over the ps1 version. Touching jill's bottom never failed to make me chuckle :lol and about a year after that I pushed my DS to one side and ended up giving it to my little brother.

Because of that I keep thinking that a 3DS will just be a novelty for me, my main portable game platform at the moment is my 2g touch, but I am real impressed with the 3DS visuals currently and that it can do some sort of anti-analysing, portables really do need it!

Jexhius said:

As I have said, the inclusion of shaders has made the portable visuals x10 better without needing to bump up polygon counts much, shaders are wonderful things :p

Binabik15

Unf unf unf u...wait, what?

If the controls are decent this should be a system seller. IF. Handheld RE, fuck yeah. Never hearing about the PSP game after E3 broke my heart.

Jexhius said:

Because Nintendo has a habit of making millions of monies with old tech? Neither DS nor Wii had anything remotely cutting edge at their release. Seems like the 3DS doesn´t have cutting edge tech, either, but nobody knows how good handheld games could look in 2010 besides a few Tegra demos, so this seems unreal to some.

Agate

Neo Member
If those shots are legit then..wow..definitely has my interest piqued...now all I need to wait for is a price.

KevinCow

Banned
Binabik15 said:
Because Nintendo has a habit of making millions of monies with old tech?

I've been saying it about the next Wii for a while, but people who thought Nintendo's next-gen systems would be underpowered just because this gen was were very misguided. Nintendo's current-gen systems weren't underpowered because they don't see the value in the technology, it was because they were taking some HUGE risks and were hesitant to pump everything they've got into them. If Wii or DS had flopped as they were, Nintendo could have sort of recouped and gotten more powerful traditional systems out there. While something like that would have been damaging to the company, it wouldn't have crippled them nearly as much as if they'd been as powerful as their competitors.

Now that their risks paid off and they've experienced a full generation of insane success on both the handheld and console front, they're not going to hesitate to beef up their next-gen systems.

Binabik15

Makes sense, but people being stunned by and therefore sceptical of 3DS graphics isn´t really surprising to me. Add to that that many devs love to sweeten their imagines a tiiiny bit and people will call "bullshot".

Especially here with the pics being much cleaner than the MGS3 screens.

Top Bottom