• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Resident Evil Revelations" announced for Nintendo 3DS [N-CONF]

Binabik15 said:
Unf unf unf u...wait, what?

If the controls are decent this should be a system seller. IF. Handheld RE, fuck yeah. Never hearing about the PSP game after E3 broke my heart.

Because Nintendo has a habit of making millions of monies with old tech? Neither DS nor Wii had anything remotely cutting edge at their release. Seems like the 3DS doesn´t have cutting edge tech, either, but nobody knows how good handheld games could look in 2010 besides a few Tegra demos, so this seems unreal to some.

Lemme guess, you started gaming this gen, right? GC was in line with the consoles released at the time. Same with the N64 and the SNES. One consoles doesn't make a habit.

Diablohead said:
As I have said, the inclusion of shaders has made the portable visuals x10 better without needing to bump up polygon counts much, shaders are wonderful things :p

pretty much. Lot of the visuals are pretty meh in many aspects of the 3DS shots, but the use of shaders is really making things look like huge improvements. Just look at Chris' hand/arm in the one shot, looks like a PSP level of visual there, but with all the shaders and such much of the visuals are "hidden" or improved.

wowsers.

i mean, even if the 3DS hadn't had this i'd have been blown away, but this does indeed blow me away.

not totally surprised though because Capcom made some of the best looking GameCube titles.

have we identified the ladies yet?

MR DEATH

Binabik15

Zoramon089 said:
Lemme guess, you started gaming this gen, right? GC was in line with the consoles released at the time. Same with the N64 and the SNES. One consoles doesn't make a habit.

:lol

Yes, a system I didn´t list proves that I started gaming this gen.

Maybe habit was the wrong word, but English isn´t my first language.

bumpkin

FoneBone said:
GODDAMN IT I NEED VIDEO
This.

I was hoping against hope that maybe some videos had surfaced on YouTube, only to find a bunch of faux-videos; for the record, people who post "videos" that are really just slideshows of screenshots should be punched in the dick or vagina (whichever suits their gender).

Amalthea

Banned
That Capcom has access to some kind of black magic for the series' graphics shouldn't be surprising anymore, especially after REmake, 0, 4, 5 and Darkside Chronicles. Maybe the devil likes RE so he's more generous when making deals with Capcom.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Zoramon089 said:
Gamecube launched at the same time as Xbox, and that matchup was basically DirectX6-class vs. DirectX8-class.
N64 would have been clearly superior to its competition with a CD-ROM, but it launched much later than its competition. To put things in perspective, about as much time passed between the launch of Playstation and the N64 than between the launch of N64 and Dreamcast. (using Japanese launch dates for actual hardware ages)
The SNES hardware was over two years newer than Genesis, yet had an inferior CPU.
Their portables have a history of being much older tech than their consoles, though.
Game Boy Color was pathetic tech in 1998.

Stencil

I don't even care about graphics, I just want an original RE game (part of the main series; no spin-offs) on a portable system. A Nintendo portable system.

FoneBone

Stencil said:
I don't even care about graphics, I just want an original RE game (part of the main series; no spin-offs) on a portable system.
By "part of the main series," you just mean that it has the same sort of gameplay, right? The chances of RE6 being a portable game are... well, not good.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
brain_stew said:
That's simply false.
Yeah, was thinking in terms of shaders. Forgot 6 didn't have hardware T&L.

Who cares about the exact graphical level- MGS3D proves that the game will be capable of looking pretty damn fine at any rate, so let's all just bask in the warm sweet knowledge that a new Resident Evil is on the way.

Haunted

cvxfreak said:
4k77yb.jpg
2mzywi1.jpg
29w39zn.jpg
You're telling me these are actually real-time?

wow.

Haunted said:
You're telling me these are actually real-time?

wow.
Yeah...

People be bringing up PSP in here... but... ummm... polycount wise I can see the comparison.

Texturing and shader based effects? This thing is smoking the Wii! The Wii is based on DirectX7 era hardware, and given what I'm seeing with 3DS shaders it's well passed the shading effects we saw on the Xbox.

I don't know what they've got in that machine, but I'm honestly shocked. When KI was unveiled I was thinking "Definitely a feature stripped GCN."

MGS and RE have changed that. I don't know what is under the hood, but its definitely got modern hardware that outclasses anything I've seen on the PSP... and to a degree the Wii.

Transcribed...

Developer Interview: Keiji Inafune
Capcom Managing Corporate Officer
Global Head of Research & Development

"Hi, I'm Keiji Inafune, I lead game development here at Capcom.

When Nintendo first told me about the Nintendo 3DS and its 3D screen I was really surprised. I was waiting for a system with such powerful processing ability. It is very attractive. Capcom games tend to eat up a lot of machine power, including graphics. Everyone at Capcom wants to make games with the best graphics. The Nintendo 3DS can help make that happen.

That feature, which may not sound fancy, is what I'm most excited about when I tested the hardware. We want to make great games to not put the hardware to shame, so please look forward to it.

The Resident Evil series, I want people to play it on the Nintendo 3DS. This will be a complete original. As a game, it will make you want to explore all sorts of secrets. I think 3D images make players wonder what's at the end of the hallway or what's behind the furniture. We're making it so it's really like watching a movie in 3D, so it's very engaging. Zombie hordes will come at you with more behind it, and when you see that it will make you think you have to shoot faster. By the game being in 3D, it can bring more fun and excitement to the players.

We've been making several Resident Evil games, but this one will be the real thing. It will be a complete original, similar to Resident Evil 5. I hope you'll take a look at the show floor.

It's not out on E3, but we're also working on Super Street Fighter 4 for the Nintendo 3DS. It's a game that's made for 2D, but I really like the way those 2D elements appear in 3D. I like it a lot."

Prime Blue said:
Transcribed...

When Nintendo first told me about the Nintendo 3DS and its 3D screen I was really surprised. I was waiting for a system with such powerful processing ability. It is very attractive. Capcom games tend to eat up a lot of machine power, including graphics. Everyone at Capcom wants to make games with the best graphics. The Nintendo 3DS can help make that happen.

That feature, which may not sound fancy, is what I'm most excited about when I tested the hardware. We want to make great games to not put the hardware to shame, so please look forward to it.

The Resident Evil series, I want people to play it on the Nintendo 3DS. This will be a complete original. As a game, it will make you want to explore all sorts of secrets. I think 3D images make players wonder what's at the end of the hallway or what's behind the furniture. We're making it so it's really like watching a movie in 3D, so it's very engaging. Zombie hordes will come at you with more behind it, and when you see that it will make you think you have to shoot faster. By the game being in 3D, it can bring more fun and excitement to the players.

We've been making several Resident Evil games, but this one will be the real thing. It will be a complete original, similar to Resident Evil 5. I hope you'll take a look at the show floor.

It's not out on E3, but we're also working on Super Street Fighter 4 for the Nintendo 3DS. It's a game that's made for 2D, but I really like the way those 2D elements appear in 3D. I like it a lot."
Yay. A real Resident Evil?

Prime Blue said:
Transcribed...

Inafune said:
Zombie hordes will come at you with more behind it, and when you see that it will make you think you have to shoot faster. By the game being in 3D, it can bring more fun and excitement to the players.
Inafune said:
Zombie hordes will come at you
Inafune said:
Zombie hordes
Zombie hordes? Like, real zombies?

Luigiv

TAJ said:
Gamecube launched at the same time as Xbox, and that matchup was basically DirectX6-class vs. DirectX8-class.
That's really over simplifying things. Whilst there's no doubt that on the whole, the Xbox was superior (of course it was, Microsoft made huge losses with every unit sold), there were a number of things the GCN could do that the Xbox couldn't. For example, whilst the Xbox's programmable shaders let it do more advance shaders, it was limited to only being able to do a couple at a time. On the other hand, whilst the GCN could only perform shaders built into the TEV, it could do a lot of more of them simultaneously.

The SNES hardware was over two years newer than Genesis, yet had an inferior CPU.
Yes but it also had a much wider colour palette and capable of effects such as Mode 7. Different approach =/= underpowered.

Their portables have a history of being much older tech than their consoles, though.
Game Boy Color was pathetic tech in 1998.
This is a horribly written statement (less powerful =/= older & handheld tech =/= non-portable tech) but I think I get what you actually mean. If your trying to state that Nintendo's handhelds have always been further behind the competition then their consoles then that is true. However it hard to blame them, since in reality it usually ends up being a case of the competitors getting ahead of themselves then Nintendo lagging behind. just because you can fit a certain level of tech in a handheld device doesn't mean it's practical to do so. Battery life needs to be taken into consideration.

Davey Cakes

Danielsan said:
Similar to RE5?
Pass.
Maybe he just means it's like RE5 in terms of series originality. Like, a new main-line deal and not some Chronicles bullshit.

Or at least, that's what I hope he means. I do NOT want another game that's like RE5. Inafune's bit about using 3D to make the player more interested in the environment already sounds vastly different from RE5, thankfully.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Rash said:
Maybe he just means it's like RE5 in terms of series originality. Like, a new main-line deal and not some Chronicles bullshit.
THIS.

MechaX

Huh. Who would have thought that the 3DS would get the "Proper" RE title right off the bat and out of the blue while the Wii still gets shoddy rail shooters.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
When watching it, I thought it was just pre rendered video. But you could control the camera angles and zoom in and out etc. Actually almost all the games on the floor were just video but you could do that. Apparantly Chris screwed some shit up and Jill wanted to end him. Or something. The speakers on the 3DS kinda suck right now, even with fancy noise cancelling headphones.

Spiegel

MechaX said:
Huh. Who would have thought that the 3DS would get the "Proper" RE title right off the bat and out of the blue while the Wii still gets shoddy rail shooters.

This is not that surprising.
Capcom is a japanese company, portables are the main consoles there since the DS and PSP were released. Now third parties take handheld gaming seriously and they have to spend less money to make games.

The result? More and more japanese games and franchises are going to handhelds.

Next generation is going to be pretty shitty for handheld haters

Amalthea

Banned
Alpha_eX said:
Anyone else hoping this has some co-op? Really enjoyed tackling RE5 on Veteran mode with a friend.

Yeah, but seperate it properly from the single-player.

Not like in RE5 where you should fight 30 Lickers while Sheva keeps getting stuck in a pile of trash and is killed by the beasts after some minutes because you need all healing items for yourself.

Alpha_eX

Tyrant_Onion said:
Yeah, but seperate it properly from the single-player.

Not like in RE5 where you should fight 30 Lickers while Sheva keeps getting stuck in a pile of trash and is killed by the beasts after some minutes because you need all healing items for yourself.

The best way to do it would be to not make a second person crucial to the single player but allow a second to drop in without ruining it.

I don't want co-op if it means I have to run around the whole game with AI in single player again.

Amalthea

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
Cartridges, man. No load times.

I know and that makes it even better but I was refering to the size of the environements and the amount of enemies per room.

It surely helps the hardware peformance if they seperate every room containing just 1-5 enemies instead of having to process the one or more floors of a big estate at once.

Paracelsus

...Zombies?

NOW I'd really like a direct feed video of RE 3DS to see how it runs, before I didn't care so much since it looked some sort of RE5 sidestory crap.

MechaX said:

(a) 3DS is actually the technically superior platform this time (at least in the handheld sector), and (b) unlike with DS and Wii pre-launch, third parties expect 3DS to be the dominant handheld for the next 5-6 years, and are investing resources accordingly.

Top Bottom