• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 DEMO up in Asian PSN store

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jstevenson said:
I still think i you turn up the sound and turn off the lights, you'll have a good time and get a great feel for the tone of R3.

It's even better if you turn off the TV and let the sound from the HT drive your imagination.

j/k. I understand is old build etc.

jstevenson said:
It's only supposed to be tied to vouchers in some territories, not public.

Would you rather it not go out to more people anyway?

I assume these 'exclusive' decisions are made outside of your influence/control?

Thrakier

Demo is so so. It's certainly unpolished and overall reminds me more of R2 than R1. I like the shotgun though. The section is boring and predictable. I hope it's not in the final game anymore, at least not that long. I don't want to go through that again.

Irish

I love the way all the weapons feel and sound. I also like the fact that the hipfire is fucking perfect. I just wish the Carbine was in the demo.

Mileena

Banned
Oh wow this game is so ugly. The demo level is really, really bad. I wasn't really interested in this game to begin with, but this demo was terrible.

Astery

Metalmurphy said:
There's also 2 accounts going around so it should make things easier.

For the new page:

Account 1 by 3borgman
Made a Dummy account

quote to reveal!

and please dont change the password

Account 2 by AwesomeSauce

Since there's no limit to activate it just quote this post to see the account info

thanks, I'll deactivate it once I can, just got kicked out by another gafer lol.

edit: done

Loudninja

Irish said:
I love the way all the weapons feel and sound. I also like the fact that the hipfire is fucking perfect. I just wish the Carbine was in the demo.
Yes the guns feel very nice you guys really nailed the combat feels so good.I am not worry about the graphics, this demo build is petty old now, and this level doesn't have the full camera blur.

The build is a couple months old (to be included in the Battle: LA disc). It is a complete demo though (not leaked code). Since then we have added a lot more polish and tweaks to the entire game.
http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=55673.15

Irish

Do the deployable turret droids have a limited amount of ammunition? I noticed that they exploded much quicker when there were actually enemies around that they were shooting at. It's not like the turret was getting shot up either.

Also, Capelli has some terrible handwriting. Still, I liked reading through what I could of the journal pages.

Loudninja

Irish said:
Do the deployable turret droids have a limited amount of ammunition? I noticed that they exploded much quicker when there were actually enemies around that they were shooting at. It's not like the turret was getting shot up either.

Also, Capelli has some terrible handwriting. Still, I liked reading through what I could of the journal pages.
Yeah the turret didst last long but I am sure thats already been tweaked.Also this level is pretty action packed so much fun.

Here are the impressions of a Resistance fanboy (yours trully) :

I'll start with the visuals, which are pretty disappointing. I don't think it runs in sub HD, it looks pretty clean but, like R2, some effects seems to create aliasing, so some edges look smooth, some don't, which is bad, inconsistency is always bad. There are also some framerate issues, but JS says it's an old build. Other than that I think it looks pretty nice overall, there are some nice SFX here and there, and I like the mood of the level, but if you've already seen the gameplay videos, you know what to expect.

The controls are really great, to me they've taken the best part of both RFoM and R2. You have the awesome hip fire accuracy from RFoM, the aiming seems as fast as RFoM and as smooth and precise as R2. To make it more clear I think that RFoM is too itchy, if you make a very small stick movement, the reticules moves too fast, which wasn't the case at all in R2, but in R2 hip fire was extremely innacurate due to the way the weapons reacts, so you have some R2 feel without the lack of accuracy. And then there is the iron sight, this time the reticule doesn't snap to the target as you switch to the iron sight, unlike R2, CoD and KZ3 you won't see yourself relying on some cheap auto aim, like KZ2 the iron sight is there for accurate shot or when you want to shoot at distance with the sniper.

And that's it, I don't want to talk to much about the level design or the feeling of the weapon, it's just as it looks on videos. I'm not a big fan of these kind of linear and scripted levels, the boat is a little to narrow, and there is no room for the AI to shine, but as the level goes and you get more and more chimera to kill it feels better and better.

So I'm pretty disapointed by the demo when it comes to the solo, but I have great hopes for the MP, the controls are better than ever and I really love where the gameplay is going. I can't wait to try it with Move.

BeeDog

Alright, just tried the demo out and have some thoughts.

- For being Insomniac's 6th PS3 game, the engine is pretty damn underwhelming, even in its early state. Tons of frame drops, and the IQ was terrible (definitely looks really sub-HD, and if it actually isn't, the aliasing issues are abnormal). When the demo started, I immediately noticed there's some kind of nasty edge-shimmering around weapons and hands that's very noticeable. It's almost like the edges are engulfed by some very bad edge detection algorithm. In either case, let's hope the graphics get a couple of layers of polish.
- The field of view is more narrow than I'm used in a console shooter, but I guess it's tied to the subpar engine performance currently.
- The weapon wheel owns, and the feel of the weapons is alright. I hoped that the shotgun would blow back enemies in a nicer way, since they simply flop down to the ground right now. The Bullseye and Auger feel nicer now that weapon sounds have been beefed up.
- The stage was pretty boring, but I didn't expect much else from an on-rails level. The newer E3 clips (especially the night stage one) look muuuch more impressive all-around.
- Amazing menus! Clear and to the point, great art direction.

Seeing as it's noticeably unpolished, I don't have much more to say than "eh". The newer clips have restored my faith in this game, but I truly, truly hope that the engine woes are sorted out. This far into the generation, it's simply unacceptable to have souch a rough-looking game performing so badly. Especially when you consider that the entire Sony stable should be able to help you out.

Rainy Dog

To all those that are unimpressed by the visuals: Try turning the in-game brightness down in the calibration options at the beginning. Not many people bother doing this correctly I don't think, in all games. When there's text in a box that's supposed to be 'barely visible', it means just that. Otherwise the gamma curve won't match what the developers used and the image will look washed out. I recall the R&C:ACIT demo suffered from the same issue where the default brightness/gamma was wrong and it made it appear really washed out...

Irish

Two weapon things I'm disappointed with:

1) Bullseye : What happened to the ability to create tag bombs?

2) Auger : Do the shots still gain power as they pass through objects? I miss the slow, but powerful drill-like bullets from R:FoM

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So according to Insomniac .."linear, moody, environmental story piece" is ugly looking game and environments , boring gunplay and for some reason I should play in the dark so mystical fairies can come and turn the game into some sort of awesome FPS like no other before...

And I dunno guys, there is no way around it, public demo or not it's still part of your game and the demo was utter crap imho, If they thought it's atmospheric game and some shit good for them, keep believing I guess , in the reality it's an ugly game and the gunplay is unsatisfying and everything is a mess.

sleepykyo said:
Well it isn't like this Insomniac's biggest title anymore. The EA game is going to be their first attempt at multi-plat and Insomniac gets to keep the IP.

:|

So it's A-ok for Insofailiac to release crap like this for us just because they are working on a game with EA where they keep the IP ? huh? this is bullshit.

I can't take anymore of these unpolished and poor games they throw lately,I gave them to many chances already, Insomniac just went to my black list of incompetent developers who I will never buy anything from again.

Irish

Wut

The gunplay is amazing. I don't even think it looks that bad and my awful TV adds jaggies to every game, even GoW3.

Gaaaaaah. Whoever is signing in on the dummy account: STOP IT! :p
Everytime I'm THIS close to pressing 'download', but then I get a warning that another user signed in.

Edit: nvrmind, got it! Thanks!!

Loudninja

Irish said:
Two weapon things I'm disappointed with:

1) Bullseye : What happened to the ability to create tag bombs?

2) Auger : Do the shots still gain power as they pass through objects? I miss the slow, but powerful drill-like bullets from R:FoM
The Bullseye to in R3 is the best one IMO, remember weapons upgrade dude.

Irish said:
Wut

The gunplay is amazing. I don't even think it looks that bad and my awful TV adds jaggies to every game, even GoW3.
The gunplay is so satisfying some of the best.About the graphics the demo is months old and will not have the full camera blur like the vast majority of the others levels will. People need to just watch all the new E3 footage witch are the current builds it looks fantastic.

Psykotik

looks like the demo was put up by mistake.

it got taken down..! no longer listed in the store.

you can still get it through the download history though, so i guess the only way to get it now is through those dummy accounts.

Irish

Loudninja said:
The Bullseye to in R3 is the best one IMO, remember weapons upgrade dude.

Well, the weapon upgrades listed in the journal in the demo don't mention the tag bombs at all. It has exploding rounds listed, but that doesn't make me think of the tag traps at all. I remember having a lot of fun tagging the ground and then unloading a clip into it and then transferring the tag from enemy to enemy with instakills until the bullets were all gone. The mini grenade you could create was awesome as well.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Gun-play was good imo, graphics not so much, not that that is a big issue though, but performance should be better for what we're seeing on screen, also I'm a little worried about the modelling again, RFoM has some stunning modelling, sadly I don't think we're ever see that kind of detail again, probably partly becuase of the extra time spent on the original.

Good stuff. Certainly captures the post-apocalyptic "feel" better than the other two. The radio broadcasts against the somber music was fantastic.

heringer

Wow. You guys weren't kidding. The demo really looks bad. The aliasing is terrible. I'm talking inFamous and Mirror's Edge PS3 levels of jaggies. I hope the final version is much improved.

I liked what I played though. Gunplay feels very solid (it really takes the best of RFoM and R2), and from the looks of it the atmosphere will be very compelling.

Loudninja

Irish said:
Well, the weapon upgrades listed in the journal in the demo don't mention the tag bombs at all. It has exploding rounds listed, but that doesn't make me think of the tag traps at all. I remember having a lot of fun tagging the ground and then unloading a clip into it and then transferring the tag from enemy to enemy with instakills until the bullets were all gone. The mini grenade you could create was awesome as well.
Ok than sorry about that. :)

NeoUltima

Very limited demo. Basically just sit on boat and shoot shit as it comes to you.
The graphics were above average (not as good as e3 footage made me believe, but this is an older build). The gun play felt very nice. I love the overall atmosphere.

The best thing though, the inclusion of a brightness slider! Only took 3 games to get it in.

The atmosphere is great and I'm glad to have the weapon wheel back. Gunplay feels solid. Lame sequence to show off in a demo though. Should have put the player right in the middle of a nice battle arena and let us go nuts with the arsenal.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I hope that's just a bad area to demo. It felt like watching an epic tennis match between Boring and Annoying--and no one ever wins.

Violater

By the sound of it, the demo isn't worth my time downloading. I will wait for a more updated build meant for general consumption.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Metalmurphy said:

For the new page:

Account 1 by 3borgman
Made a Dummy account

quote to reveal!

Since there's no limit to activate it just quote this post to see the account info

Thanks much man.

KiraXD

Metalmurphy said:

For the new page:

Account 1 by 3borgman
Made a Dummy account

quote to reveal!

Thank you so much! you guys rock!

Dwayne

Stoffinator said:
Any way I can get the demo with out making an account?

You might of noticed when reading through the thread, or even the posts on this page, that there is account details shared. Use those.

delta25

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Good stuff. Certainly captures the post-apocalyptic "feel" better than the other two. The radio broadcasts against the somber music was fantastic.

You know the worlds went to shit when you have to start bartering with water.

Great atmosphere indeed

pelican

The demo seems to be pretty devisive.

Personally I enjoyed it. I thought it looked good, and the level was dripping with atmosphere.

I've read some members moaning about it being a linear demo. It is a FPS...

Purchased confirmed.

ASilva

Neo Member
Metalmurphy said:

For the new page:

Account 1 by 3borgman
Made a Dummy account

quote to reveal!

Thanks alot!

EDIT: Deactivated :)

Top Bottom