• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BuddyC said:
Very nice impressions. I certainly hope you've been able to practice up on the multiplayer side of things -- we'll find out Friday :D

Ooooh shit, did you just drop the gauntlet? Oh man, I better get my boys at the GAF Japan clan in on this shit. You best be ready.

Chiggs said:
Where are all the comparisons to Halo?

I slipped one in there. :lol

BuddyC

TheTrin said:
Ooooh shit, did you just drop the gauntlet? Oh man, I better get my boys at the GAF Japan clan in on this shit. You best be ready.
I'm up for some east vs. west style in-fighting, but I'm more looking forward to a 20-person GAF team taking on all challengers in Breach. Also, I'll warn you now, I've got this strange fascination with Conversion, likely because I dig the idea of limited lives and quick games, so expect to see me playing that a lot as well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BuddyC said:
I'm up for some east vs. west style in-fighting, but I'm more looking forward to a 20-person GAF team taking on all challengers in Breach. Also, I'll warn you now, I've got this strange fascination with Conversion, likely because I dig the idea of limited lives and quick games, so expect to see me playing that a lot as well.

I would totally be down for making a big GAF Clan. It would be doubly cool if we could make an umbrella clan, and break up based on region (US West, US East, Japan, etc).

We`ll wait until March to make the EU clan. Lolz.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So, no blood in the japanese version or am I missing something in the option?

Game is really awesome. Just got to Thames. You can feel the Insomniac touch by just looking at how ammo and energy cells are scattered (and used) through the levels. I love the jump/crounch mines sections. Ahaha, very funny. Some sections are scary as hell. You Insomniac guys sure know where to place enemies and how to mix different races to pump the challenge. Awesome. It's really like playing a more serious Ratchet and Clank.

I'm definitely enjoying this offline game more than GOW. Yeah, different games, but this one is definetly better anyway. And longer. Geez I could have completed GOW 3 times by the time I got to London in Resistance. And it's fairly hard (died lot of times, my fault) on Normal.

thetrin

TTP said:
Just got to Thames.

Also known as the best ****ing part of the game.

Bad_Boy said:
nice impressions trin, can't wait to get down on it!

and I'm definately with the regional east vs west gaf clan. :)

We really should make a clan just for team matches with random people. That would be AWESOME.

Wollan

ResClan.gif

DCharlie is running the worldwide NeoGAF Resistance clan. If you want to join, pm him with your PS3 Network account name after it has been created.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GuessWho said:
The difference between gears and resistance is pretty simple. One is a system seller the other isn't.
I'm assuming you think Resistance is not the system seller, and even though I'm not feeling that game 100% myself yet, I see a lot of people here who seem to be buying PS3 primarily so that they can play it. It looks to be the best game on the launch, and it looks to be a system seller.

BuddyC

GuessWho said:
The difference between gears and resistance is pretty simple. One is a system seller the other isn't.
Let's make sure you've got the time to adequately play both titles before making such a statement, eh? I figure two weeks should be enough.

Marconelly said:
I'm assuming you think Resistance is not the system seller, and even though I'm not feeling that game 100% myself yet, I see a lot of people here who seem to be buying PS3 primarily so that they can play it. It looks to be the best game on the launch, and it looks to be a system seller.

I think most people are buying a PS3 to sell it for more money on EBAY, and the ones who buy a PS3 to play games are getting Resistance only because its the only real good game out of the bunch.

From what I've read its nothing spectacular, just an above average game released at launch along side other games that aren't above average.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
mysticstylez said:
From what I've read its nothing spectacular, just an above average game released at launch along side other games that aren't above average.
So...getting solid 9.0's, 9.5's, 8.5's, etc is an average game?

Wollan said:
ResClan.gif

I'm writing up a list for NA NeoGAF'ers who want to be a part of a NeoGAF clan, just say so and I will add interested to the list in the first post. Volunteers for managing the clan should raise their voice and launch buyers should then vote on who they want (to manage).

DCharlie is running the Japanese NeoGAF clan so if you're playing from there and want to join, pm him.
God I wish I could get in on this but it seems hopeless at this point.

mysticstylez said:
I'm not saying this as a troll, but I think most people are buying a PS3 to sell it for more money on EBAY, and the ones who buy a PS3 to play games are getting Resistance only because its the only real good game out of the bunch.

I always like the pre warning people do at the start of some of their posts with before they go into doing what they said they weren't gonig to do.

Kittonwy

Banned
mysticstylez said:
I'm not saying this as a troll, but I think most people are buying a PS3 to sell it for more money on EBAY, and the ones who buy a PS3 to play games are getting Resistance only because its the only real good game out of the bunch.

Don't troll, ok?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
He did say above average but still :lol .

I do think his point is valid tho. I really doubt most peeps are buying the system because of Resistance. Though it is THE reason i'm considering keeping mine versus ebaying it.

Bad_Boy said:

If you read my whole post (which you obviously didn't) you would see that I said "ABOVE AVERAGE".

You can say the same thing for Call of Duty 2 for the 360 last year, out of the 360's lineup it was the highest reviewed game, and the best selling game.

I didn't buy my 360 because of Call of Duty 2, but I bought Call of Duty 2 cause it was the best game the system had to offer at that time. Which is the most likely reason people are gonna buy Resistance.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
mysticstylez said:
If you read my whole post (which you obviously didn't) you would see that I said "ABOVE AVERAGE".
Technically yes, above average is anything above a 5, right? But you also said "its nothing spectacular".

So I could ask the same question just a little different.

mysticstylez said:

You can say the same thing for Call of Duty 2 for the 360 last year, out of the 360's lineup it was the highest reviewed game, and the best selling game.

I didn't buy my 360 because of Call of Duty 2, but I bought Call of Duty 2 cause it was the best game the system had to offer at that time. Which is the most likely reason people are gonna buy Resistance.

well gears is above average to right...hell so is mgs as well....great praise indeed!

anyway, I think the game looks pretty fun...of course it isnt the reason I wont a ps3...but then gow wouldn't be a system seller for me...mass effect on the otherhand, I know I will only get one console like usual, but a hell of a way to test resolve

peace

Wollan

ResClan.gif

DCharlie is now the official manager of the NeoGAF Resistance clan. Since reports so far has suggested that cross pacific play is not an issue regarding lag, this clan is worldwide for now. After you have successfully created your PS3 Network account and got your PS3 and Resistance copy in hand, pm him with your account name for him to add.

Let me revise what I said without using words that people can use to twist what I've said before.

I doubt that the majority of people buying a PS3 are buying it because of Resistance. However I believe a majority of the people buying a PS3 will buy Resistance because it is the best game out of the launch lineup.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
mysticstylez said:
I think most people are buying a PS3 to sell it for more money on EBAY
Which means there will be people willing to pay even *more* to get it, and those 'end buyers' are probably buying it because they really want to play something on it (Resistance?). Unless they too think they could re-sell it for even more money :lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
mysticstylez said:
However I believe a majority of the people buying a PS3 will buy Resistance because it is the best game out of the launch lineup.
Why would the majority of PS3 owners not buy resistance at this point? It is the best game obviously; you're saying the majority wont get other games or they will?

If they get no other games then they are indeed basically buying it for resistance (at the time, and maybe getting other games that may come down the line). I'm tired so maybe I'm just not hearing what you are trying to say correctly.

Bad_Boy said:
Why would the majority of PS3 owners not buy resistance at this point? It is the best game obviously; you're saying the majority wont get other games or they will?

If they get no other games then they are indeed basically buying it for resistance (at the time, and maybe getting other games that may come down the line). I'm tired so maybe I'm just not hearing what you are trying to say correctly.

What I'm trying to say is that I believe people are buying a PS3 for 1 of 3 reasons.

1. to sell on ebay
2. its a new system and they gotta have it
3. its the predecessor to PS2 so you know its gonna be a quality system.

I don't think people are like "OMG I gotta get a PS3 cause of Resistance", but more like " I gotta get a PS3, and I'll pick up Resistance cause its got the best reviews.

Dahbomb

If you actually "read" anything about Resistance then you would know its a great game, and the PS3 killer app. Average is not even close to describing the game.

Kittonwy

Banned
Bad_Boy said:

I would buy a PS3 for Resistance alone (I'm not sure if I'm up for camping tonight though, I've already tried camping for a pre-order at Eb but no luck), from what people are saying it's an awesome game. ~_~

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
mysticstylez said:
What I'm trying to say is that I believe people are buying a PS3 for 1 of 3 reasons.

1. to sell on ebay

I don't think people are like "OMG I gotta get a PS3 cause of Resistance", but more like " I gotta get a PS3, and I'll pick up Resistance cause its got the best reviews.
so umm... you just described like every other console launch if you take out resistance and swap it with another game and switch a couple other words. I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make.

People not buying the ps3 JUST for resistance? is that even a surprise? sure there will be some who do, but for the majority, people dont buy consoles for one game, they buy it for what the console can do and what games will come in the future. Atleast I hope so.

Maybe besides the Wii, but even then theres probably not a majority of people buying the wii JUST for zelda. People are not just going to sell their Wii's after they finish zelda.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wollan said:
Is there a PS3 bluetooth headset compatibility list somewhere? I'm almost 100% sure I've read somewhere that someone tried to pair some headset with PS3, and it didn't work.

Bad_Boy said:
so umm... you just described like every other console launch if you take out resistance and swap it with another game and switch a couple other words. I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make.

People not buying the ps3 JUST for resistance? is that even a surprise? sure there will be some who do, but for the majority, people dont buy consoles for one game, they buy it for what the console can do and what games will come in the future. Atleast I hope so.

Maybe besides the Wii, but even then theres probably not a majority of people buying the wii JUST for zelda. People are not just going to sell their Wii's after they finish zelda.

I was referring to a quote from someone else saying Resistance is a system seller. I think it will probably be a great game, but not a system seller. Thats the point I was trying to get across

Wollan

Marconelly said:
Is there a PS3 bluetooth headset compatibility list somewhere? I'm almost 100% sure I've read somewhere that someone tried to pair some headset with PS3, and it didn't work.

I heard someone say Sony was supposed to release one but I don't think it has arrived yet. Most headsets, USB or Bluetooth, should work though. I'm not sure if I would go out and buy the most expensive Bluetooth one just now but the console should support the majority.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
mysticstylez said:
I was referring to a quote from someone else saying Resistance is a system seller. I think it will probably be a great game, but not a system seller. Thats the point I was trying to get across
Fair enough. I personally wouldnt consider resistance a system seller. The PS3 was going to sell way before resistance. The system kinda sells itself. That said, Resistance seems more than just an above average game. The point I was orginally trying to make.

Zaptruder

Banned
mysticstylez said:

1. to sell on ebay

4. It's a the new Playstation and they know prices won't be going down for at least another 12-18 months, so they want to pick it up ASAP to get the most out of it, before the price drops?

Yeah, it's true... People aren't going to buy a PS3 just to get resistance. Instead they're looking at overall collection of games headed to the PS3 and seeing a collection of games they'd like to play on it (which would differ from person to person).

I know this is true for me for the X360 too (the Wii... not so much. I just gotta have Zelda).

Kittonwy

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
Fair enough. I personally wouldnt consider resistance a system seller. The PS3 was going to sell way before resistance. The system kinda sells itself. That said, Resistance seems more than just an above average game. The point I was orginally trying to make.

I personally would consider Resistance a system-seller and I'm not even a big FPS fan, frankly in terms of FPS genre, this is the best game this holiday season.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Latest review from GamesRadar.

http://gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/reviews/article.jsp?articleId=20061115121111232062&sectionId=1000

It's got looks, it's got brains, it's got a lot of stuff to shoot. It doesn't revolutionize the genre or even introduce much new, but Resistance remains an utterly solid shooter that should keep you entertained for quite a while. It's an excellent introduction to the PS3 and points toward even greater experiences in the future. Does it justify the enormous cost of the console? Not really, but if you're going to get a PS3 anyway, then this is clearly the game to get with it. If only all launch titles were this good.

Safe Bet

Banned
mysticstylez said:
I think most people are buying a PS3 to sell it for more money on EBAY...
The new doesn't make any goddamn sense F.U.D. of the week...

Will PS3s that end up on Ebay drop into a Black Hole or something never to be seen again?

*arch*

Top Bottom