• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Zaptruder

Banned
Gamespy said:
Our other grievance at this point pertains to the graphics and physics. Granted, Insomniac CEO Ted Price espoused the power of the Cell processor and how it can render multiple things onscreen at once (case in point: our much touted statement that dead soldiers and Chimera stay where they are on the battlefield, no matter where you go), but while the lack of dissolving enemies is decidedly next-gen, the environmental destruction is not. Sure, windows shatter and react to gunshots, and it looks great, but when we fired a tank at a building during one of the vehicular sub-missions, only the glass was destroyed. Dead Chimera lie strewn around a warzone, but a wooden crate disappears. What's up with that? Hence, while Resistance is still a great game, I can't help but to coin the term "PS2.5" when describing it.

PC FPS fans will likely scoff at Resistance: Fall of Man. It's probably not nearly as stellar as anything you can play with a keyboard and mouse, but then, it's really good for a console shooter. Since I haven't played a multiplayer build of the game since E3, which is tantamount to saying that I haven't played it, it still remains to be seen how it's going to perform online. Since it's GameSpy's editorial policy that we will not review a game before we get online with gamers like you, consider this Out of the Box a pre-review of what you can expect from this excellent title.

This guy is an asshat. How many PC FPS have a single player campaign better than Resistance? Probably less than a handful, including HL2.

And because buildings are none destructible and destroyed wooden crates disappear he labels it PS2.5?

GoW is every bit next gen, despite its problems. The bodies in that game disappear, it's 30FPS with occasional slow downs, they're clipping problems, some animations are problematic; the death rag doll animation can be particularly ugly and unrealistic and indeed buildings are non destructible (although sections can be on occasion destroyed), even with some invisble railings... I don't think anyone could get away with calling it Xbox 180 or some such similar without been absolutely flamed to hell and back.

Face it mr smarmy reviewer. Your expectations are way out of line with the time and resources available to next gen devs... I wouldn't expect to see full dynamically destroyable materials (and as a result destroyable everything) until the next next gen or even further beyond.

Just saw the GameTrailers review, good stuff. I'm thinking of getting this when I eventually get an European PS3. It really looks great fun and hopefully the multiplayer will keep it going after the campaign mode is over.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This guy is an asshat. How many PC FPS have a single player campaign better than Resistance? Probably less than a handful, including HL2.
Exactly.

Over the past 6 years, there really haven't been a whole lot of GREAT single player first person shooters released on the PC.

PS2.5?

What kind of PS2 were these guys playing?

Geez, under those "next-gen" criteria barely any game would make it, kind of hypocritical if they don't call out other games on it since most games don't have the thing they are asking for and are still clearly a generation beyond PS2.

Wollan

Looking at that GameTrailer Review, Nathan Hale has to be the best in game model I've seen in a game released so far. Really detailed that guy.

Dahbomb

Expect 4.5/5 by Gamespy. Also expect to see a PS2.5 comment in the "Cons" section.

Also I am tired of all these Resistance review where they say crap like "Its good, but is it $600 good?" :lol Are we going to see this for every PS3 review? It's like how some reviewers are bashing the Wii games' graphics for no reason.

aku:jiki

Luckyman said:
Now that's some truth right there. The game is exceedingly average in everything it does. Keep in mind that "average" in my mind doesn't mean "bad" as it does in most IGN reviews. Just pretty decent, no more and no less.

HomerSimpsonMan said:
PS2.5?

What kind of PS2 were these guys playing?
You're in for some crying into your pillow at night if you're banking on the game looking like it does in screens. PS2.5 is just about right. Especially if you're playing it right after a certain 360 game I won't name since I don't want to start a war in here.

PhatSaqs

Banned
aku:jiki said:
Now that's some truth right there. The game is exceedingly average in everything it does. Keep in mind that "average" in my mind doesn't mean "bad" as it does in most IGN reviews. Just pretty decent, no more and no less.

You're in for some crying into your pillow at night if you're banking on the game looking like it does in screens. PS2.5 is just about right. Especially if you're playing it right after a certain 360 game I won't name since I don't want to start a war in here.
AB-MB-24482.jpg

Er, I've already seen the videos and already appreciative and mindful of what these games are doing visually, and considering what PS2 does...it sounds something stupidly blanket ignorant...saying Xbox 1.5 at least one leave some more leeway considering PS2 didn't even do pixel-shading.

You know under the same criteria...that game doesn't match up too well to what they think "next-gen" either.

But go ahead, tell me I'm crying for one game I look forward against another game I'm also going to get!

antiloop

Dead Chimera lie strewn around a warzone, but a wooden crate disappears. What's up with that? Hence, while Resistance is still a great game, I can't help but to coin the term "PS2.5" when describing it.

Read the whole thing... a crate disappears but not the bodies. (almost) :)

That's why he calls it a PS 2.5 game. It is stupid, but he did.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

We have already had people who HAVE THE GAME, say it does. The blurry textures seen in the screenshots ARE in the game.

Gears has destroyed so many brain cells, that the count is probably astronomical. Gears isn't next gen either, if you go by what the reviewer was saying.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Wollan said:
http://www.myresistance.net/ goes live. It's the games online profile and stat tracking page.

Yup, it's up, but a lot of our stuff isn't running yet (due to some challenges we didn't predict) We hope to have the stat tracking up in the next couple weeks - it does work and is in prototype form, but we want to make sure it's perfect and can handle the load and all of the stats hitting before we let it go live.

When that update is ready, you'll be able to have a profile page, link your stats to your account, and check the leaderboards. You guys will know when that stuff is live :).

JS

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
SilentHill said:
Yeah I thought that was neat too. JS you should give us the password for the two unlockable events! :D

You can find the passwords hidden in the game.

They are VERY well hidden though... good luck.

JS

Treo360

Kittonwy said:
I personally would consider Resistance a system-seller and I'm not even a big FPS fan, frankly in terms of FPS genre, this is the best PS3 game this holiday season.

Fixed for greater accuracy.

Wollan

I was looking at that Gametrailers review again, looks like Nathan Hale grows a beard over the game. Neat touch.

M3wThr33

Banned
Picked it up at EB yesterday. I'll get the PS3 later today.

My name SHOULD be M3wThr33.

Also, I just spent the last 4 hours playing Ratchet: Deadlocked. (I'd beaten it once, so I'd been going through a second time on the highest difficulty) Most of the guns are mega now, aside from 2. The Flail is at level 62 now. HA!

watership

Chris_C said:
Thanks man, Gametrailers really has some of the best reviews around right now, very well done.

I really like gametrailers reviews, but sometimes they severely NIT PICK. "The exclusion of ____ really doesn't make sense.. and its sad."

J-Rzez

Graphics are so clean on my Sony! Art is awesome... while there are better in those departments, I'll tell you what... the Sound Effects in the game are so EPIC... the gameplay is perfect! AI is awesome as well, they'll flank, they'll rush if they have numbers, they'll retreat if you're knocking them off...

And the framerate is DEAD-LOCKED... There is so much chaos going on... so many baddies and good guys fighting, stuff exploding everywhere, dust/smoke, stuff going on in the sky... man, not a SINGLE drop once... that is incredible I think personally...

Can't wait to try out online soon! and work igTedPrice over with the sniper rifle like it recommends in the game! lol...

Hat's off Insomniac... absolutely incredible for a launch title! Can't wait to see what's in store from Rachet!!!

lunlunqq

picked it up together with my PS3 this morning. have been playing it unstop... anyone playing online now?

My PSN ID: lunlunqq. plz add me!!!

antiloop

I am kinda jealous. This is the only launch game together with RR7 I would pick up. :)

(I am hoping for Motorstorm and HS at European launch)

NeOak

jstevenson said:
You can find the passwords hidden in the game.

They are VERY well hidden though... good luck.

JS

Sadly, i don't have 600 bucks to buy the PS3 with the ONLY game i am interested in.

So, please, someone post the passwords. Gaffers are supposed to help each other :)

A question for the dudes who have played it online

Is the Conversion mode what I hope it is? I posted this earlier in this thread:

We used to play a paintball event type called Assimilation, which worked in a similar way. Two teams at the start, with 4-8 players in each team. If you got hit, you'd convert to the rival faction, and the game would go on until all players belonged to a single dominant faction (or in the case of 16 player matches, until one team controlled 12 players). It's pretty intense, as you can go from having a full team on your side, to being the one player that everyone is hunting.

Now is that kind of how Conversion works or no?

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
watership said:
I really like gametrailers reviews, but sometimes they severely NIT PICK. "The exclusion of ____ really doesn't make sense.. and its sad."

what was the nitpick for Resistance?

Zen

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
I guess Fight Night 3 never exisited in your world.

I'd say that Nathan Hale has a lot more real modeled detail to him then a Fight Night model. That might be the distinction.

BuddyC

AltogetherAndrews said:
A question for the dudes who have played it online

Is the Conversion mode what I hope it is? I posted this earlier in this thread:

We used to play a paintball event type called Assimilation, which worked in a similar way. Two teams at the start, with 4-8 players in each team. If you got hit, you'd convert to the rival faction, and the game would go on until all players belonged to a single dominant faction (or in the case of 16 player matches, until one team controlled 12 players). It's pretty intense, as you can go from having a full team on your side, to being the one player that everyone is hunting.

Now is that kind of how Conversion works or no?
Yes and no. You've got a set number of lives in Conversion, everyone's trying to kill everyone, and once you're gone, you're gone. Now, what that number is can be tweaked by the host, but there's no concept of teams, it's every man for himself.

Bebpo

Banned
One nitpick I have that is a personal thing that most will laugh at and find trivial...is that I don't like that there is cursing in the game and even the f* word.

If Resistance was made by any other developer that'd be fine, but Insomniac has been making fun, family-friendly titles that appealed to everyone with R&C, and I thought Resistance was in the same trend since there really isn't much blood or any gore/gibs. But then soldiers are cursing and it makes me a little sad :(

Top Bottom