• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, already did that a few times today. Haven't tried Resistance online yet but since it uses its own non-psnetwork friends system I'm not really sure what the deal might be with that.

And this is another good question. Why did RR7 (a 3rd party dev) get the invite online players from the PSN right and not Resistence (a damn near 1st party dev)?

You would think it would be the other way around.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
the glass in resistance is amazing. :eek:
DSC00520rs1.jpg

Raistlin

aku:jiki said:
Now that's some truth right there. The game is exceedingly average in everything it does. Keep in mind that "average" in my mind doesn't mean "bad" as it does in most IGN reviews. Just pretty decent, no more and no less.

I haven't played many PC FPS's ... but I've played plenty of console FPS's.

So far, the game seems well above average, and everything I've heard tells me it gets better and better.

I'm not saying it the best game ever ... but it is certainly well above aberage.

You're in for some crying into your pillow at night if you're banking on the game looking like it does in screens. PS2.5 is just about right. Especially if you're playing it right after a certain 360 game I won't name since I don't want to start a war in here.

Interestingly, it does look like the pics I've seen here on my TV.

Raistlin

I'm starting to wonder ... did some of the reviewers simply play the first 2 areas and write their review?

Some of them sure read like it. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Cheddar Gorge just made Resistance a ****ing classic. And the Hailstorm ROCKS.

This and the level before it...I'm starting to like Hale.
I feel bad he's infected. lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I've made it to Northern Command thus far and the things that stand out for me lay in the fact that Insomniac did just what they had to make shooting and hitting stuff feel really good. The combination of location specific hit detection combined with a well-heeled ragdoll system that doesn't go too floppy makes it so satisfying when a well aimed rifle butt to a menial head literally sends them head over heels.

There's just enough stuff that breaks or explodes in the environment to help round things out but I do wish they pushed the envelope here. Those 3-packs of the spherical Chimeran power sources are fun in particular but there's also setpieces like the underground cafeteria at Northern Command where all the chairs and tables start off neat and orderly but by the time you're done with the swarm of crawlers that ambush you, just about everything is upended, scattered and in pieces. In combination with the persistent bodies it leaves a nice "I was here" mark on the game environment which is why it would have been nice if it was more pervasive.

Azrael

Cheddar Gorge was awesome. I loved parking the jeep behind those gate control structures, then blasting the hell out of the Chimera inside with the Augur from behind the walls.

no_to_co

I finally got a PS3. Man what an ordeal! Stupid freaking scalpers. It's after midnight and there is no store open that is selling Resistance. And I am not driving to a freaking 24hr Walmart for an hour. I'll see you guys online after work tomorrow. ;) not sure what my tag will be.

mckmas8808

no_to_co said:
I finally got a PS3. Man what an ordeal! Stupid freaking scalpers. It's after midnight and there is no store open that is selling Resistance. And I am not driving to a freaking 24hr Walmart for an hour. I'll see you guys online after work tomorrow. ;) not sure what my tag will be.

Make it the same as your name here on GAF. :)

And I just past the part that kaching was talking about above. Damn this game is great. And Manchester is ****ing ridiculas. It's unbeliveable.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah best glass ever. Nothing like breaking a pea-sized hole in the glass and tossing a grenade through it blowing everything inside the room to smithereens :)

And yeah the Jeep was surprsingly FUN, despite the stigma for all vehicle levels to suck. Running over dudes, taking jumps, and being able to hop out at any time and clean up was INTENSE and awesome.

God I'm loving every minute of these levels/battles. So, so good. GoTY maybe...?

DCharlie

Banned
still trying to get "that other game" out of my system , but did find time to pick Resistance back up. Starting to really enjoy it, the game took a massive jump up in quality at Manchester i felt...

Anyways - more postcards from the battle front ... this game makes me feel home sick! It's like being back "oop north" ... except the chimera are a little better looking than the usual inhabitants...

300759468_426a5ef26d_b.jpg

300759869_3ffff8ded3_b.jpg

300760276_90cd8f5fe8_b.jpg

300760740_37c83ad001_b.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wait until you get past Manchester, DC. The game just keeps getting better and better.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hooray, DC and Bebpo hit the curve!

When I started Resistance, I was like "...not bad."

Then I played farther. And the game BLEW ME AWAY.

DCharlie

Banned
lol - seriously - this game is making me feel homesick! ha ha.

(for the secret alien hive that i come from, not for the horrid open country side of the north of england!)

TheTrin said:
Hooray, DC and Bebpo hit the curve!

When I started Resistance, I was like "...not bad."

Then I played farther. And the game BLEW ME AWAY.

Yeah, same here. My initial impressions a half hour in were that the game looked pretty good but not what I had hoped for. Now that I am deeper into the game..HOLY JEBUS!!...graphics are just incredible.
The Chimera really take and AI jump as well. Once you get into the level with the tunnels they really start to take cover and try flanking moves.
I tried my hand at multiplayer and got my ass handed to me. So impressed though.

What is everyone using for the control config? Originally, I left at the default settings and only changed the Y axis and upped the sensitivity...but in MP I saw why this control config had flaws. Tried changing the controls around but cant find anything that feels just right. Any ideas?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bebpo said:
Yeah best glass ever. Nothing like breaking a pea-sized hole in the glass and tossing a grenade through it blowing everything inside the room to smithereens :)

And yeah the Jeep was surprsingly FUN, despite the stigma for all vehicle levels to suck. Running over dudes, taking jumps, and being able to hop out at any time and clean up was INTENSE and awesome.

God I'm loving every minute of these levels/battles. So, so good. GoTY maybe...?
Wow, so you're actually liking it now? That's great news.

300760740_37c83ad001_b.jpg

Weren't 20mph areas first introduced in the 90s? I know it's an alternate history, but still.. :D

Are there any real life areas that are recognisable in the game? I'm sure there'll be some in London, but what about further north?

jax (old)

Banned
Mmmm.... this thread is quite spoilerific, the pics are anyhow, but damn they look so sweet. Bebpo's commentary on the AF is good too. I can't wait for the aussie launch and this game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Once you hit the more alien architecture, the game just goes "teh wow."

Resistance is so fantastic for a few reasons: first, it's really the first great "Playstation franchise shooter" that is going to become symbolic of FPS on PS3 for the next generation, and second, the core elements of the game are done SO DAMN WELL. Satisfying gunplay, smart AI, rocksolid framerate, huge open environments...

DCharlie

Banned
this thread is quite spoilerific, the pics are anyhow

they aren't too bad - i've deliberately left out a number of things! ;)

There are low res shots back in the thread, i'm at the point now where i think anything shot will possibly spoil it so i'll cease :)

Tieno

DCharlie said:

There are low res shots back in the thread, i'm at the point now where i think anything shot will possibly spoil it so i'll cease :)
Or you can just post the url to the pics?:D

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So was the Gaf Clan DCharlie had up regional? :( We need to get up a NA gaf clan then, I've been playing alot of MP lately and it would be nice to get some other gaffers in the servers. I think I saw BobTheFork in one match.

It's funny, Before I bought the game, I said I would invest my time in SP before I ever touched MP. I said what the hell and played a couple matches of MP thinking I would go back to SP after I was done.

I ended up playing MP for hours. :lol

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
DCharlie said:
see above - we can't!
i'm going to disband my Neo-Gaf and start a Neo-GAF Japan :(
I wonder if we can even clan match between Neo-gaf and NGJ?
looks like we probably can't :(

please patch , mr. resistance people.

Hey guys,

Sony currently doesn't support international servers, and while we did indeed test cross-Pacific multiplayer with Resistance, in the release version, this isn't available. We are currently working with Sony in the hopes of supporting it in the future.

JS

Dahbomb

jstevenson said:
Hey guys,

Sony currently doesn't support international servers, and while we did indeed test cross-Pacific multiplayer with Resistance, in the release version, this isn't available. We are currently working with Sony in the hopes of supporting it in the future.

JS
Yes please get it working. I want to own some Japanese n00bs on the Internetz.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Argh! Seeing all these pics is making the wait a lot harder. Unfortunately, I just couldn't say no to $2000.00 in cold, hard cash.

nataku

jstevenson said:
Hey guys,

JS

When you say "in the future", do you mean future games, or is it possible to patch Resistance to allow international online play?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
nataku said:
When you say "in the future", do you mean future games, or is it possible to patch Resistance to allow international online play?

Patch/server change/etc. is possible for Resistance: Fall of Man. Obviously some things have to happen, but we're working on it.

mckmas8808

DCharlie said:

DC you take the best pictures out of anybody on GAF. How do you do it? I want to utlize your skillz.

Also keep posting pics of the later levels. Just post the urls instead, so guys have to click on the link to view the pics.

nataku

jstevenson said:
Patch/server change/etc. is possible for Resistance: Fall of Man. Obviously some things have to happen, but we're working on it.

That's awesome. Thanks for letting us know it's possible. :)

Here's hoping things do get worked out, I'd love to play against others from around the world.

DCharlie said:
guys, i've set up a GAF clan , i need names.

the people who have requested entry so far - your names aren't found by the system (??)

Add me please, if you haven't already.

Based on my performance so far, I will be a serious liability. :)

DCharlie

Banned
Hey guys,

thanks JS for the update. And thanks for the game, really enjoying it ! :)

Mckmas, thanks :) I'm doing it all old skool ! Large projector image + 30D.

I took this spoiler-ish one from last nights gaming :

stalker attack

Ignatz + others looking for clan entry - seems like the better idea would just be to have two clans for now : A Neo GAF US and a Neo GAF JPN. I'll run Neo GAF JPN for now, so if you are in the asian region , please let me know. Can someone take the Neo GAF US role? White Man?

lunlunqq

DCharlie said:
thanks JS for the update. And thanks for the game, really enjoying it ! :)

Mckmas, thanks :) I'm doing it all old skool ! Large projector image + 30D.

I took this spoiler-ish one from last nights gaming :

stalker attack

Ignatz + others looking for clan entry - seems like the better idea would just be to have two clans for now : A Neo GAF US and a Neo GAF JPN. I'll run Neo GAF JPN for now, so if you are in the asian region , please let me know. Can someone take the Neo GAF US role? White Man?

damn... DCharlie, you should give us a tutorial on "how to take nice pics off your TV scree." i just got my bravia 40XBR2 and PS3. i always wanted to show off my new toys a little bit, but all the pics i took looked like ass... any tips? thx a lot in advance!

Anyone else start the game on hard? I consider myself pretty good at this genre but I'm getting my ass whomped. :lol I'm only on the third level so I'm considering tucking my tail and restarting on medium.

I gotta say I really love how well the game controls, aiming and shooting just feels intuitive and natural. I don't know if it's the new pad or Insomniac's touch (combo of both probably) but I was surprised how smooth and precise it is. And like kaching said the impacts are incredibly satisfying (ragdoll system kick ass). Among the best FPS control on a console IMO (yeah, even that one). My only complaint is it's a bit fidgety when aiming down the sights, you can't toggle back to normal view while moving the camera for some reason.

mckmas8808

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Anyone else start the game on hard? I consider myself pretty good at this genre but I'm getting my ass whomped. :lol I'm only on the third level so I'm considering tucking my tail and restarting on medium. .

Yeah the game isn't really easy. The AI is sorta smart and kinda unpredictable.

I love how the bullets have to actually travel to hit the enemies or to hit you. It's not like as soon as you shoot the bullet hit the guy. Anybody else notice this?

White Man

DCharlie said:

US GAF CLAN INFO

Yep, I have US neoGAF covered. If people want to PM their IDs, I'll add them in. PMing me would be easier than just sticking your name in this thread since this thread is kinda big. My PM box doesn't get full so just keep em coming.

Dunpeal

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Yeah the game isn't really easy. The AI is sorta smart and kinda unpredictable.

I love how the bullets have to actually travel to hit the enemies or to hit you. It's not like as soon as you shoot the bullet hit the guy. Anybody else notice this?

Games do that since like...max payne 1.

Anyway, good to see all the good impressions, hopefully when i get my hands on it when it launches here.

lunlunqq

White Man said:
US GAF CLAN INFO

Yep, I have US neoGAF covered. If people want to PM their IDs, I'll add them in. PMing me would be easier than just sticking your name in this thread since this thread is kinda big. My PM box doesn't get full so just keep em coming.

count me in! PM sent. :D

One thing I really like about this game is the general sound of the chimera hybrids. Sounds like animal samples to me, which really seems to aid in making these creatures seem fierce and menacing. There isn't any "monglish" in the game though, is there? I haven't played it yet, so I'm just going by what I've heard in the vids.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I played online for about two hours and damn was it ever fun, I wasn't expecting much online honestly but i'm satisfied. Meltdown was awesome and the mics are always free, no lag either and the hit detection is spot on.

I love this game i'm glad I picked it up yesterday.

mckmas8808

MrToughPants said:
I played online for about two hours and damn was it ever fun, I wasn't expecting much online honestly but i'm satisfied. Meltdown was awesome and the mics are always free, no lag either and the hit detection is spot on.

I love this game i'm glad I picked it up yesterday.

How does voice chat sound in-game?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
mckmas8808 said:
How does voice chat sound in-game?

I could only speak to one person during the time I was online, he said it was bluetooth problem, maybe someone can clarify that. All I heard was static from another player in a TDM match. Not many people seem to talk or have mics.

Top Bottom