• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Bebpo

Banned
OH MY GOD THE SNOW

I don't even know how they pulled that effect off. It was just TOO REAL :O!!!

Incredible. Wish I wasn't half-asleep already from all the Wii escapades, I'd be playing the rest of this non-stop tonight. It's really engrossing, but I can't play very well with my eyes closing ;_;

DCharlie

Banned
This sounds like one hell of a turnaround for you Bebpo, especially considering you just a few pages back.

.... lets just see where the Bebpo train comes to rest at first!

Some of us remember the FFXII thread (amongst others) - we just need to hold on for the final judgement.

datamage

I gotta say this game is growing on me. On launch day I played it for a bit, and was really underwhelmed. Now, I just reached the Manchester level, and it keeps getting better. Not sure why I get a war of the worlds vibe from it. Anyhow, the AI is pretty damn good too.

DCharlie

Banned
Not sure why I get a war of the worlds vibe...

here's the weird thing - i got the same vibe, but from the album art work and the original story , not from the recent film.

Given that the original (story and album) was based in late 19th century england, then i guess it's not too surprising, but a lot of the colours used remind me of the art work of the album . :)

Bebpo

Banned
One design decision that I think got a little out of hand towards the end of the game is the spacing out of checkpoints to basically zero checkpoints/saves for the equivalent of a level. While I respect that it makes the game challenging and forces you to learn the upcoming firefights, the fact of the matter is that playing through 15-20 mins of really intense close battles and emerging victorious only to die in the next room and have to redo the 15-20 mins of life or death firefights...only to die in the next room and then having to redo the same 15-20 mins of firefights for the 3rd time...ummm..it does get a bit annoying.

For those without the game who've played Gears, the checkpoints spread further and further apart (plus the game gets harder and harder) until you're at the point of doing about 1/2 an act (or maybe like 1/3rd an act) of Gears without any checkpoints so if you die you start at the beginning again (and in Resistance on the later enemies you can go from full life to dead in < 2-3 seconds if enemies get the jump on you).

Otherwise the game is damn near perfect as an FPS. But really, the challenging enemies and outnumered odds are tough enough, we don't need "extra" challenge from lack of checkpoints . ^^;

Zaptruder

Banned
DCharlie said:
here's the weird thing - i got the same vibe, but from the album art work and the original story , not from the recent film.

Given that the original (story and album) was based in late 19th century england, then i guess it's not too surprising, but a lot of the colours used remind me of the art work of the album . :)

Too bad there aren't daddy long leg spider bots with the green windshields in this game.

Jonnyram

Wow, that checkpoint thing sounds poor.
Can you save between checkpoints or do you still start at the checkpoint when you reload?

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Wow, that checkpoint thing sounds poor.
Can you save between checkpoints or do you still start at the checkpoint when you reload?

If you load a save you just start from the last checkpoint.

Honestly, I usually make it through an area on the 2nd or 3rd try (though I always die on the last screen it seems [not knowing it's the last screen). It's only this one section I'm currently at near the very end that's just realllly long (not because of tons of rooms but rather tons of enemies/huge fights in each one) and I keep dying on the same spot after tons of stuff (knowning my luck the next checkpoint is right after this spot :\)

Until now it's been slightly annoying but when you pass the section you feel really good that you did it. But when you've spent about an hour and accomplished nothing...it's ;_;

*edit* yep, the stupid guys I died on 3 times in a row were of course, right before the checkpoint @_@ Oh well, at least you get faster at wiping out the rooms each time you redo a section. Cut my time from about 15 mins, to 10 mins, to 5 mins or so when I finally passed it.

DCharlie

Banned
i'm finding the spacing of Resistance's check points both challenging and annoying all at the same time...

i did erm... fought a number of things (4 minutes) then erm... protected something (5-6 minutes) , then had to hold off another attack... (4-5 minutes)

i kept dying in the final part and it was annoying as hell for a while, but then i started to enjoy the challenge - making sure i took the right choices of weapon at various points.

I'm in the gorge at the moment... having Halo flash backs! ;)

It did make me nervous as the checkpoints got further and further apart, but only in the final area
(climbing the spire)
did it become an outright frustration (at that point enemies are powerful, aggressive, and numerous...it's just so easy to die and have to fight through several life-or-death battles all over again).

Other than the final stretch though, the pacing, increasing difficulty, and varied environments left little room for complaints my first run-through.

Oh, and I just started playing on Hard...died about 20 times just getting through the first two checkpoints, and that's when they are as close together as they get. Scary...

Ditto on the checkpoint stuff; that's my only real complaint right now. It's like, if I clear an area and I get to a point where there are no enemies and a bunch of health pickups... make that the checkpoint!

Surprisingly awesome otherwise (especially as I don't normally play FPS).

M3wThr33

Banned
I kinda dig the checkpoints. It makes you REALLY want to survive, rather than you know you can fall back after a tough point.

I'm at...
the point where I am with that angry British guy who just split up from me
right after the driving mission.

I'm disappointed there's no skill points for running over hybrids.

Edit:

For voice chat, I'm using a Plantronics M2500 Bluetooth headset. From what I setup, it could read my voice, but in game I only heard some static, so it was connected, but I never heard anyone else. I talked about my headset. Maybe someone heard me?

That's why I want to try video chat, (You DON'T need an EyeToy, I can just use mine) because I want to see if it's the game or the headset.

My ID is M3wThr33.

DCharlie

Banned
Surprisingly awesome otherwise (especially as I don't normally play FPS).

this isn't meant as a thread derail, but i'm hearing a lot of people say this - and a lot saying that this is their first FPS ever.

Now, i think Resistance is a great game, i'm just curious what it is about Resistance that appeals to people where other games haven't?

I mean , there are a number of FPS games that are -at least- as good as Resistance out there on other platforms. This is not meant as a slight - it's just that the FPS genre has a number of high quality games.

It's all good - if Resistance has turned you on , then there are a number of FPS's that people who haven't played FPS's will really REALLY like.

M3wThr33

Banned
On a similar note, I want to know what you guys thought of Ratchet: Deadlocked.
Especially how it tells you what the skill points take to unlock them.

JB1981

datamage said:
I gotta say this game is growing on me. On launch day I played it for a bit, and was really underwhelmed. Now, I just reached the Manchester level, and it keeps getting better. Not sure why I get a war of the worlds vibe from it. Anyhow, the AI is pretty damn good too.

Same here, partly because I reworked the control set-up. Basically I tried as best I could to match Halo's control scheme. I use L1 for crouch and triangle for reloading. R2 is my secondary fire and melee is now L2. Melee is basically useless so I relegated it to the least used button in the game. L2 for crouch was just terrible. Now I can crouch and move around with ease. I'm loving my new control scheme and I'm really digging where this game is going. It's kinda slow going, but it becomes more and more rewarding as you slog through.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i kind of like the distance between the checkpoints. in games where the checkpoints are closer together you're freer to experiment and take risks, but spaced checkpoints kind of create the tension of an old arcade game. though i'm still early in the game, so perhaps it gets annoying.

edit: i'm trying to think of console fp shooters that are 'at least' as good as resistance, and i'm not coming up with a whole lot. the halo games certainly, half-life 2, perhaps riddick, though it isn't a straightforward shooter, and...uh...from there it seems to drop off into killzones and far cries and countless clancy games.

DCharlie said:
this isn't meant as a thread derail, but i'm hearing a lot of people say this - and a lot saying that this is their first FPS ever.

Now, i think Resistance is a great game, i'm just curious what it is about Resistance that appeals to people where other games haven't?

I mean , there are a number of FPS games that are -at least- as good as Resistance out there on other platforms. This is not meant as a slight - it's just that the FPS genre has a number of high games.

It's all good - if Resistance has turned you on , then there are a number of FPS's that people who haven't played FPS's will really REALLY like.

A lot of PS owners have never owned an Xbox or gaming PC.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I personally like the checkpoint spacing. I think I'm half way through and I see nothing wrong with them. I like the tension.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Guys, wait until u reach Thames before prising the game. Oh, and the final sections are so Halo-ish it's awesome.

DCharlie said:
It's not even so much that I wouldn't play other FPS games, it's that I haven't had the occasion to. But why do I like this one? Probably the pacing and the cinematics. Dramatic storytelling plus the fact that the design really nails the "one more level" sort of addictive quality all adds up to a really enjoyable experience.

Make no mistake, I put it in because I kind of have to. But I'll go back because I want to.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished it.

Incredibly impressed by the game and Insomniac's fantastic level design, weapon design, enemy AI, graphics, story. The game does so many things right and yet this is just the start for awesome Insomniac FPS games.

Since I don't want to overhype it for those who haven't finished it and have it not be as good because they were expecting something beyond all expectations, I'm just going to spoiler text my glowing thoughts for those who've finished it already.

GoTY (been a crazy good year. I thought Okami would be an unbeatable GoTY, and then came Gears with it's excellent graphics and multipalyer with good single player, and now comes Resistance to top even that [will Zelda top even Resistance?]). Beyond just GoTY, I'll even say that personally I think this is the best FPS I've ever played. Until now my favorite FPS titles have been Half-life 1/2 and Halo 1/2 with everything else a good notch below. When I was about 75% through the game I came to realize that already Resistance was the best FPS I'd played on a console, even better than Halo :O But I still thought there's no way it could take the crown from Half-life. But by the end, the battles which were SO INTENSE (oh man in that walk up the tower at the end my heart was racing as I had 1 bar of health left and did not want to die and redo it all. I played sooo careful and well and luckily got through all that in one run. But wow it was crazy.), and the way the story was told both actively with the cutscenes and subtlely with the notes (cloven) and the hinting along the way about the American aspect...it was all so well done.

It had the architecture and interesting story of Half-life (though the characters were a bit underdeveloped in comparison), combined with the incredible AI and firefights from Halo combined with the enemy variety of an action game rather than an FPS with the same 4 enemies the whole game. All these pieces merged together to become my new favorite FPS, and to think this is only the start. I can't even begin to imagine how amazing Resistance 2 could be.

PS. Robots rule

PSS. Spider tank vs. GOLIATH = AWESOME (mecha fans will go crazy)

Graphics - Though I was definitely underwhelmed at first, by the end of the game I do not have a single complaint about the visuals but rather just pure praise. There are moments when it was hard to even believe I was playing a game and not watching some gorgeous CG movie. This is often thanks to the just excellent animation that is beyond probably anything we've seen in an FPS before. Everything moves so smooth and CGish...it's just WOW. One part in particular topped even the best Visuals in Gears IMO.

Music - The weakest aspect of the game IMO. The music was ok, but after hearing Gears with it's amazing soundtrack, this was a tad bland. Voice acting was good though as were the sound effects.

AI - Holy crap! The AI here is the best you will see in an FPS outside Halo (maybe even as good as Halo?). By the end the enemies use awesome tactics and they're out there doing the same stuff you're doing. It's really crazy to see how they think and how different the same scenes can play out each time. Also makes the game HARD but in a good way.

Enemy Variety - Completely awesome. Tons of enemy's all with their own unique weapons. Insomniac does a good job mixing them up and keeping players on their toes. The 'major' enemies in particular are a sight to behold and very enjoyable to fight.

Story - Good stuff! I was talking to TheTrin and much of the plot is hidden in the game and left for the player to put together themselves. This actually makes the plot a lot more interesting and we were discussing some various theories.

Level Design - Fantastic. The pacing is perfect, the difficulty ramps up just right, the architecture gets better and better, the levels are filled with all sorts of neat little things that you just catch out of the glimpse of your eye and go "woah".

Weapon Variety - Couldn't ask for more. Having so many options let's you make your own way through each fight. Also low supply of ammo keeps you switching around and making use of everything to make it through.

Vehicles - What? Fun vehicle levels in an FPS? How could that be!? I'm not sure how they pulled it off but the vehicle parts are really fun and some are just plain AWESOME. I loved them all.

Length - Great game length, just the right amount for a full FPS. PLUS unlike any other FPS out there (that I can think of) you get 2nd play GOODIES so like say RE/DMC, you actually want to go through it all AGAIN :) Plus there's Multiplayer but I haven't really played it besides a lame one-hit kill match with 2ch clan people, so I won't comment.

Loading - Could be better. It's not that the loading is bad (10 seconds or so for a level that'll last 10-20 mins), but rather that the levels feel like a few sections (20 mins) and then a cutscene/loadscreen. Maybe in their next FPS Insomniac can do seamless transitions between levels :)

Overall, the game might be inspired by all the greatest FPS games out there, but there's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from the greats and build off that for your own unique game. Resistance has everything I could ever want in an FPS. It has very smart AI + a wide spectrum of enemies and guns + a GREAT physics engine; so that every battle plays out differently and firefights are always great fun. It has excellent atmosphere, great presentation, gorgeous levels and art, and a neat story w/solid characters; so the game is always engaging even when not in battles. For the single player campaign there really isn't a single flaw I can think of besides maybe not having a checkpoint at 2 or 3 of the longer/harder points, and less loading/longer levels between loads.

Single Player score (all I really care about in an FPS): 9.8/10; Worth buying a PS3 for. I think that once the PS3 gets in more hands and more people have time to play Resistance through to the end, word of mouth will get around and Resistance will be 'the' console FPS that all console FPS games (single player) will be judged by

wow, nice impressions....people are surprised that this actually turned out good...anyway, goty from an rpg fan, pretty high praise. Im thinking I will pick this up in march, even though there will be some big stuff out here in Europe by then

peace

mr_nothin

Banned
Bebpo said:
Finished it.

Incredibly impressed by the game and Insomniac's fantastic level design, weapon design, enemy AI, graphics, story. The game does so many things right and yet this is just the start for awesome Insomniac FPS games.

Since I don't want to overhype it for those who haven't finished it and have it not be as good because they were expecting something beyond all expectations, I'm just going to spoiler text my glowing thoughts for those who've finished it already.

GoTY (been a crazy good year. I thought Okami would be an unbeatable GoTY, and then came Gears with it's excellent graphics and multipalyer with good single player, and now comes Resistance to top even that [will Zelda top even Resistance?]). Beyond just GoTY, I'll even say that personally I think this is the best FPS I've ever played. Until now my favorite FPS titles have been Half-life 1/2 and Halo 1/2 with everything else a good notch below. When I was about 75% through the game I came to realize that already Resistance was the best FPS I'd played on a console, even better than Halo :O But I still thought there's no way it could take the crown from Half-life. But by the end, the battles which were SO INTENSE (oh man in that walk up the tower at the end my heart was racing as I had 1 bar of health left and did not want to die and redo it all. I played sooo careful and well and luckily got through all that in one run. But wow it was crazy.), and the way the story was told both actively with the cutscenes and subtlely with the notes (cloven) and the hinting along the way about the American aspect...it was all so well done.

It had the architecture and interesting story of Half-life (though the characters were a bit underdeveloped in comparison), combined with the incredible AI and firefights from Halo combined with the enemy variety of an action game rather than an FPS with the same 4 enemies the whole game. All these pieces merged together to become my new favorite FPS, and to think this is only the start. I can't even begin to imagine how amazing Resistance 2 could be.

PS. Robots rule

PSS. Spider tank vs. GOLIATH = AWESOME (mecha fans will go crazy)

Graphics - Though I was definitely underwhelmed at first, by the end of the game I do not have a single complaint about the visuals but rather just pure praise. There are moments when it was hard to even believe I was playing a game and not watching some gorgeous CG movie. This is often thanks to the just excellent animation that is beyond probably anything we've seen in an FPS before. Everything moves so smooth and CGish...it's just WOW. One part in particular topped even the best Visuals in Gears IMO.

Music - The weakest aspect of the game IMO. The music was ok, but after hearing Gears with it's amazing soundtrack, this was a tad bland. Voice acting was good though as were the sound effects.

AI - Holy crap! The AI here is the best you will see in an FPS outside Halo (maybe even as good as Halo?). By the end the enemies use awesome tactics and they're out there doing the same stuff you're doing. It's really crazy to see how they think and how different the same scenes can play out each time. Also makes the game HARD but in a good way.

Enemy Variety - Completely awesome. Tons of enemy's all with their own unique weapons. Insomniac does a good job mixing them up and keeping players on their toes. The 'major' enemies in particular are a sight to behold and very enjoyable to fight.

Story - Good stuff! I was talking to TheTrin and much of the plot is hidden in the game and left for the player to put together themselves. This actually makes the plot a lot more interesting and we were discussing some various theories.

Level Design - Fantastic. The pacing is perfect, the difficulty ramps up just right, the architecture gets better and better, the levels are filled with all sorts of neat little things that you just catch out of the glimpse of your eye and go "woah".

Weapon Variety - Couldn't ask for more. Having so many options let's you make your own way through each fight. Also low supply of ammo keeps you switching around and making use of everything to make it through.

Vehicles - What? Fun vehicle levels in an FPS? How could that be!? I'm not sure how they pulled it off but the vehicle parts are really fun and some are just plain AWESOME. I loved them all.

Length - Great game length, just the right amount for a full FPS. PLUS unlike any other FPS out there (that I can think of) you get 2nd play GOODIES so like say RE/DMC, you actually want to go through it all AGAIN :) Plus there's Multiplayer but I haven't really played it besides a lame one-hit kill match with 2ch clan people, so I won't comment.

Loading - Could be better. It's not that the loading is bad (10 seconds or so for a level that'll last 10-20 mins), but rather that the levels feel like a few sections (20 mins) and then a cutscene/loadscreen. Maybe in their next FPS Insomniac can do seamless transitions between levels :)

Overall, the game might be inspired by all the greatest FPS games out there, but there's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from the greats and build off that for your own unique game. Resistance has everything I could ever want in an FPS. It has very smart AI + a wide spectrum of enemies and guns + a GREAT physics engine; so that every battle plays out differently and firefights are always great fun. It has excellent atmosphere, great presentation, gorgeous levels and art, and a neat story w/solid characters; so the game is always engaging even when not in battles. For the single player campaign there really isn't a single flaw I can think of besides maybe not having a checkpoint at 2 or 3 of the longer/harder points, and less loading/longer levels between loads.

Single Player score (all I really care about in an FPS): 9.8/10; Worth buying a PS3 for. I think that once the PS3 gets in more hands and more people have time to play Resistance through to the end, word of mouth will get around and Resistance will be 'the' console FPS that all console FPS games (single player) will be judged by
ok, so i'm soo hyped for this game now

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Can someone with the US version of the game confirm there is actually blood in there? (cos JPN version lacks blood completely). And also, what happened to the "Hero moments"? You know, when a comrade is attacked by a Chimera in a nasty way and you have the chance to save him. I haven't seen anything like that during the whole playthrough.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
there's blood in the us version. i've had at least one "hero moment" --
i saved a soldier from one of those big lanky chimera which was strangling him when i walked into the room.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Loading - Could be better. It's not that the loading is bad (10 seconds or so for a level that'll last 10-20 mins), but rather that the levels feel like a few sections (20 mins) and then a cutscene/loadscreen. Maybe in their next FPS Insomniac can do seamless transitions between levels
That doesn't sound too bad, but how is it handled? You say cutscene/loadscreen. Do they attempt to mask the loading then? Is it at least better than Half-Life 2 (which initially could take upwards of 30-40 seconds to load a map with just "loading..." pasted in the middle of the screen. That was always annoying to me.

Is there an option to install the game?

Dahbomb

Oh man, for Bebpo to be wholly impressed by this game even after experiencing GOW says something to me. I need to go and finish this game some where.

By the way did anyone get the Resistance strategy guide? It's pretty damn big but it's still a whopping $20. :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dark10x said:
That doesn't sound too bad, but how is it handled? You say cutscene/loadscreen. Do they attempt to mask the loading then? Is it at least better than Half-Life 2 (which initially could take upwards of 30-40 seconds to load a map with just "loading..." pasted in the middle of the screen. That was always annoying to me.
It's cutscene followed by loading screen. Not sure if there's any loading going during the cutscene itself, but there's a distinct loading screen.

Is there an option to install the game?
Not really - RFOM does an automatic install, which seems to be a fairly small cache (130 Meg or so). There's no option to install more of the game on the HDD.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Crazily enough, this talk about crazy good animation and the best looking snow ever, made me hyped for this game - Bebpo's impressions just sealed it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So do we know if there's an Insomniac Museum in this game yet? I see that they seem to have put a good amount of extras in, to be unlocked with skill points but all I've done so far is unlock the 10 skill point concept art pack. That by itself was rather meaty. Usually you see these concept art slide shows and its just a few pics. But that first pack has at least a dozen pics of concept art.

Is Hale basically what The Cloven are? Humans that were immune to the full Chimeran transformation, but still took on some Chimeran traits? Does the game say one way or another?

TTP said:
Can someone with the US version of the game confirm there is actually blood in there? (cos JPN version lacks blood completely). And also, what happened to the "Hero moments"? You know, when a comrade is attacked by a Chimera in a nasty way and you have the chance to save him. I haven't seen anything like that during the whole playthrough.

There have been a few of those moments so far for me. If you see a soldier being attacked physically by Chimera if you save them from dying they will stay with you and protect you (sort of) for the level. It has happended a number of times throughout the game so far ( a few times they died before I could save them)...

I agree with the other guys. This game is AWESOME. It borrows so much great inspiration from Half-life, Aliens, some Doom. Absolutely beatuiful and coherent gfx. Just theh right level of difficulty and great story. Looking forward to more Insomniac FPSs. The PS3 is starting to show its might.

Bebpo

Banned
Arde0 said:
There have been a few of those moments so far for me. If you see a soldier being attacked physically by Chimera if you save them from dying they will stay with you and protect you (sort of) for the level. It has happended a number of times throughout the game so far ( a few times they died before I could save them)...

Hmmm...when the US version drops in price (sale/greatest hits) I'll probably pick it up then and go through a 3rd time to see all the stuff I missed with the JPN version (plus if the region server thing doesn't get patched, I can play with US gaffers).

jjasper

Man I thought I would be able to handle not being able to get a PS3 at launch with my brother getting a 360 and gears, but damnit Bebpo you are killing me here.

I want to play this right now and I don't know a soul with a ps3. Knowing that I am not going to be able to play this is probably Feb or March hurts. Now I know what living in Europe feels like.

I am praying to god I can find one when Motorstrom hits so I can get it and Resistance together.

jjasper said:
Man I thought I would be able to handle not being able to get a PS3 at launch with my brother getting a 360 and gears, but damnit Bebpo you are killing me here.

I want to play this right now and I don't know a soul with a ps3. Knowing that I am not going to be able to play this is probably Feb or March hurts. Now I know what living in Europe feels like.

I am praying to god I can find one when Motorstrom hits so I can get it and Resistance together.

only if you buy the console from ebay, those are the prices we will have to pay in the UK....still getting it day one though, with this game and a few others

peace

mr_nothin

Banned
Bebpo said:
Hmmm...when the US version drops in price (sale/greatest hits) I'll probably pick it up then and go through a 3rd time to see all the stuff I missed with the JPN version (plus if the region server thing doesn't get patched, I can play with US gaffers).
US version of what? The PS3 or the game?
Because JS of Insomniac said that the game detects which system it is being played on and then selects which version gets played. There's only 1 SKU of the game....just different casing.

Top Bottom