• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Banned
Yeah only BrHueHue2.0 seems to work here.

I found one!
ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9NP49Z3PX8J6

try this one and tell me if it works, it does seem to work by doing a simple test on PC (the PC store opens a working page), which is usually a good sign

edit: I updated the OP with the new working links and icons/names.
Xbox Series X users should use the AVX2 version btw as I think that's a native SX app or optimized for it.

I will later download each version and update the OP with the emulator version numbers of these new uploads

pcsx24brc4b.png

ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9N35FC6L6PSZ

pcsx25tfdiz.png

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Yeah that AVX2 version works, installed it immediately.

And AVX2 is an instruction set that makes it work (somewhat) faster on Series consoles (but isn't available on Xbox One), so that should indeed be the one to be installed on those. Great work!

Banned
Yeah that AVX2 version works, installed it immediately.

And AVX2 is an instruction set that makes it work (somewhat) faster on Series consoles (but isn't available on Xbox One), so that should indeed be the one to be installed on those. Great work!

let's hope these uploads keep coming 😬
don't forget to immediately start the emulator to activate your license too! if they delete it tomorrow and you didn't start it it's gone

Soltype

I found one!

try this one and tell me if it works, it does seem to work by doing a simple test on PC (the PC store opens a working page), which is usually a good sign

edit: I updated the OP with the new working links and icons/names.
Xbox Series X users should use the AVX2 version btw as I think that's a native SX app or optimized for it.

I will later download each version and update the OP with the emulator version numbers of these new uploads

pcsx24brc4b.png

ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9N35FC6L6PSZ

pcsx25tfdiz.png
Brhuehue sse4 or avx2

Banned
Brhuehue sse4 or avx2

they are all the same Emulator version but the AVX2 one will run faster on Series X consoles while the other 2 are not optimised for that.

that's the only difference tho.
people upload them under different names and with sometimes weird icons.

so if you have a Series X or S get thr AVX2 version. but if you have an Xbox One get one of the other 2.

not that this will make much sense anyways on Xbox One, but a handful of games will be playable on Xbox One systems, just don't expect any games to run well on that slow CPU they have.

Shifty1897

So, how is PS2 performance? I want to emulate my PS2 games again, a Series X is cheaper but if it can't handle full speed PS2 I guess I'll just build a new PC.

Banned
So, how is PS2 performance? I want to emulate my PS2 games again, a Series X is cheaper but if it can't handle full speed PS2 I guess I'll just build a new PC.

Series X and Series S can handle PS2 absolutely fine.
the bigger issue is the still spotty compatibility with PS2 emulation.

so the limiting factor on the 2 new Xbox systems is the PCSX2 (called AetherSX2 for no apparent reason on Xbox) Emulator not the hardware.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Series X and Series S can handle PS2 absolutely fine.
the bigger issue is the still spotty compatibility with PS2 emulation.

so the limiting factor on the 2 new Xbox systems is the PCSX2 (called AetherSX2 for no apparent reason on Xbox) Emulator not the hardware.
Thanks for the info. Since two of the games I want to emulate are Tri-Ace, which are pretty emulator-unfriendly, I may just go with PC then.

Banned
Thanks for the info. Since two of the games I want to emulate are Tri-Ace, which are pretty emulator-unfriendly, I may just go with PC then.

which will also not run the games any better. like I said, the Emulator itself is the issue, and the Emulator is basically the same on PC and Xbox.

so if you want to buy either for the purpose of playing PS2 games, they are basically the same.

maybe you'll be able to play some games in software mode to get around emulation issues if you have a really fast CPU on PC which might run slower on Xbox systems due to the Laptop grade CPUs they have.
for that I highly recommend either a Ryzen 5600 or an intel i5 11th gen or later at the very minimum

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I've tried the Saturn emulation on my One X, but performance in the games I've tried (Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon RPG) is really really bad. Is that just the state of things for Saturn on the One X or is there some magic setting in Retroarch that I can use to improve performance?

Banned
I've tried the Saturn emulation on my One X, but performance in the games I've tried (Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon RPG) is really really bad. Is that just the state of things for Saturn on the One X or is there some magic setting in Retroarch that I can use to improve performance?

accurate Saturn emulation is currently really CPU heavy.
I haven't played around eith Saturn emulation yet. are there multiple cores available on Xbox?

all I know is that Beetle Saturn is the best Emulator, but also by far the most CPU hungry one.
so if there's another core available like Kronos (if that one is available on Xbox, I know it is on PC) try that one. but I think that one has way less accurate emulation and is less compatible

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
accurate Saturn emulation is currently really CPU heavy.
I haven't played around eith Saturn emulation yet. are there multiple cores available on Xbox?

all I know is that Beetle Saturn is the best Emulator, but also by far the most CPU hungry one.
so if there's another core available like Kronos (if that one is available on Xbox, I know it is on PC) try that one. but I think that one has way less accurate emulation and is less compatible
Thanks man, I'll check it out ;)

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
For Daytona why would you not just use the native port? Unless it’s no longer for sale?

Soltype

they are all the same Emulator version but the AVX2 one will run faster on Series X consoles while the other 2 are not optimised for that.

that's the only difference tho.
people upload them under different names and with sometimes weird icons.

so if you have a Series X or S get thr AVX2 version. but if you have an Xbox One get one of the other 2.

not that this will make much sense anyways on Xbox One, but a handful of games will be playable on Xbox One systems, just don't expect any games to run well on that slow CPU they have.
How much difference are we talking? I have everything set up on my series x, do I have to start over if I get a new app?

Banned
How much difference are we talking? I have everything set up on my series x, do I have to start over if I get a new app?

not sure how better the version is, but going to a new version isn't hard to do, you don't have to set up anything again.
all you need to do is copy and paste all the files inside the "local state" folder of the Emulator into the new install.

I even made a quick video to show how easy it is for people that want to switch versions.

if you want to transfer your files really quickly from one install to the new one (which is what I just did, because fuck that weird ass icon and name) here's how you can super quickly do it using FileZilla
(look up the folder names of your emulator in the emulator first to know which folder is the correct one for you)

this also works for any other Emulator you might want to switch to a different version to btw... the folders will be different of course but the principle works either way

SpiceRacz

I can't speak for PDS, but original Daytona USA doesn't run well even on Saturn hardware. I suggest trying more games.

Soltype

not sure how better the version is, but going to a new version isn't hard to do, you don't have to set up anything again.
all you need to do is copy and paste all the files inside the "local state" folder of the Emulator into the new install.

I even made a quick video to show how easy it is for people that want to switch versions.
Is the video in the OP?

Patrick S.

Banned
For Daytona why would you not just use the native port? Unless it’s no longer for sale?
Thanks, I had been playing the original Daytona USA on the arcade perfect Nebula emulator for years before the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions came out ;) I bought those on launch, too. I also bought a Saturn on launch day for Daytona USA :)

Yeah, I adore this game and must play it on everything haha

Last edited:

Banned
Is the video in the OP?

it's literally in the comment I quoted. start your emulator fist and see what the folder is called of course, and then just do the same thing I do in that video.
(you don't have to click on every folder like I did, I just wanted to show that they are different)

Last edited:

Soltype

it's literally in the comment I quoted. start your emulator fist and see what the folder is called of course, and then just do the same thing I do in that video.
(you don't have to click on every folder like I did, I just wanted to show that they are different)
My bad bro, didn't see it on my phone, thanks.

BlackTron

Note, I was able to install AVX2 on Series X without even setting my region to Brazil. The format of the OP implies you need to switch the region for all 3 options.

I was excited to jump on this just for a better icon than brhuehue, it was so bad the optimized performance bump is like a side bonus.

Banned
Note, I was able to install AVX2 on Series X without even setting my region to Brazil. The format of the OP implies you need to switch the region for all 3 options.

I was excited to jump on this just for a better icon than brhuehue, it was so bad the optimized performance bump is like a side bonus.

yes but I will leave that in the OP for now, because some re-uploads will have that restriction. i will add a note that not all require the region change tho. I am redoing parts of the Op anyways since I re-recorded all my "how to download" videos via remoteplay instead of holding my phone in one hand and the controller in the other xD

Last edited:

Banned
Tried the AVX2 on my Series X, for some reason Brhuehue runs better. Anybody have the same results?

nope. for me both are basically the same. and both are the same Emulator version.

the SSE4 version should be 100% identical to the Bruehue upload tho, so that should fix your issues.

I might actually try if I see performance differences in some games on my end.
with the games I played on it I couldn't see a difference, but then again, the ones I played on both ran at full speed basically at all times, so it's hard to say

Soltype

nope. for me both are basically the same. and both are the same Emulator version.

the SSE4 version should be 100% identical to the Bruehue upload tho, so that should fix your issues.

I might actually try if I see performance differences in some games on my end.
with the games I played on it I couldn't see a difference, but then again, the ones I played on both ran at full speed basically at all times, so it's hard to say
I noticed that in Tony hawk 3 in the airport, I checked the settings and made sure everything was the same. I'll check it again when I get in from work.

Banned
I noticed that in Tony hawk 3 in the airport, I checked the settings and made sure everything was the same. I'll check it again when I get in from work.

I'll try in software mode late. that is where they should show their differences if there are any, as the AVX2 version should utilize the CPU better.

Raw Danger in software mode should be a crazy benchmark I think, as it has lots of transparencies and stuff all on screen.
I will install both the SSE4 and the AVX2 versions and see if there's a difference.

the HUEHUE thing should be the same as SSE4 as it runs on both Xbox One and Series X|S and I think AVX2 wouldn't even start on Xbox One as the Jaguar CPU doesn't support AVX2

Banned
Soltype Soltype
I played a very demanding scene of Raw Danger (Disaster Report 2) on both versions and ran it in Software mode, meaning this stresses the emulator REALLY hard

the differences are very small, basically margin of error differences (very blurry sorry)

you can see the framerate on the top right. it's the first number. it's a bit hard to see, but it's basically 16fps with drops to 15fps and spikes to 17fps in the same scene on both versions

I also made a better video on how to switch from one version to another...
which I will add to the OP

Last edited:

Esppiral

The CPU on the One X is trash for Sega Saturn emulation you need a series console

Soltype

Soltype Soltype
I played a very demanding scene of Raw Danger (Disaster Report 2) on both versions and ran it in Software mode, meaning this stresses the emulator REALLY hard

the differences are very small, basically margin of error differences (very blurry sorry)

you can see the framerate on the top right. it's the first number. it's a bit hard to see, but it's basically 16fps with drops to 15fps and spikes to 17fps in the same scene on both versions

I also made a better video on how to switch from one version to another...
which I will add to the OP

Yeah I just tested again it's the same, the airport level of thps3 is just hard to run I guess.

Banned
Yeah I just tested again it's the same, the airport level of thps3 is just hard to run I guess.

or it ran that way originally. you can try to overclock the PS2's cpu in the emulator options to see if that cleans it up maybe.

never played it on PS2, always played these old THPS games on GameCube

which, btw. could be an option through Retroarch, could run and/or look better.

Soltype

Lol that's what made me install the PS2 standalone, I couldn't get them to run in retroarch dolphin. I'll try to overclock.

Banned
Lol that's what made me install the PS2 standalone, I couldn't get them to run in retroarch dolphin. I'll try to overclock.

that is kinda surprising not gonna lie. usually Dolphin runs smoother than PCSX2 (unless a game has some major shader stutters)

Soltype

that is kinda surprising not gonna lie. usually Dolphin runs smoother than PCSX2 (unless a game has some major shader stutters)
Yeah I was surprised too. I just turned off vsync and I'm getting better performance, not sure what else to try.Is there a difference between d3d11 and 12?

Banned
Yeah I was surprised too. I just turned off vsync and I'm getting better performance, not sure what else to try.Is there a difference between d3d11 and 12?

could be, DX11 is sometimes more stable, but I haven't really experimented much. I mostly played games that run fine or games that have known issues anyways.

Banned
ok, so I updated the OP, now all you have to do is click the icons in the quote below (or of curse in the OP) on your Xbox Browser to download XBSX2.

XBSX2 also allows for easy changing of folders, meaning you can run it completely from USB now it seems. I will test that later as it would make updating to a newer version down the line way easier

CURRENTLY WORKING METHOD:
Open this Page on your Xbox Broser and click on the corresponding Emulator version that is meant for your System
(do not expect good performance on Xbox One/One X systems)
👇

XBSX2 has a much nicer icon, way more pleasant to look at than the boring ass blue cube AetherSX2 uses

Last edited:

Banned
Your updates on this topic are greatly appreciated, as someone who routinely dabbles in emulation.

thx :)

also update on USB, it works indeed fully from USB now by changing the directories to the corresponding ones on your USB drive.
I simply copied my old emulator folder from AetherSX2 from my Xbox via FTP into the USB HDD I use and changed the directories real quick.

all I had to do is change my games folder after that, as it seems XBSX2 is not fully compatible with the emulator settings file of AetherSX2.

also one minor gripe, you currently can't change the button combination for some of the stuff like Switching between hardware and software renderer. and the default menu back button is "View" (select)... which is weird as you expect it to be B

the default button combo to bring up the emulator menu is now Start + Select

Last edited:

Banned
Is there a compatibility list for the PS2 games?

there's a PCSX2 wiki that should have one.
the compatibility is basically the same on PC and Xbox.

general PSA to XBSX2: I recommend turning off Vsync! with vsync enabled the input lag is pretty bad. and with vsync off it's way better + Series X|S systems give Xbox One games automatically Vsync anyways (even tho the version for SX is optimised for it, it's still technically an Xbox One app), so turning it off should have no visual impact

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

I have played Sega rally on there and had no issue. Think we have to remember games (especially Daytona() never ran that well in the past

YCoCg

DuckStation will soon be removed from Gamr13's app store, so if you want it get it now!

That sucks as DuckStation is a brilliant emulator and the options it provides far outclass what RetroArch cores offer.

I have played Sega rally on there and had no issue. Think we have to remember games (especially Daytona() never ran that well in the past
Yeah Daytona on Saturn ran at like 20fps didn't it?

Top Bottom