• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That sucks as DuckStation is a brilliant emulator and the options it provides far outclass what RetroArch cores offer.

Yeah Daytona on Saturn ran at like 20fps didn't it?

Yeah was pretty bad, they did release a championship edition which ran better was still a bad port of the game

Harlock

Instaled Retroarch last year. I need to install again or can just update the cores? My main reason is to run ISO beyond 2gb in external storage.

My Retroarch is the 69+, whe was in the Live store. Is better to uninstall this one before installing the Gam13r? Or they use two separed folders?

Last edited:

WoJ

Maybe I am totally missing something but how do I set hot keys on the new PS2 emulator? Whenever I try it times out.

Banned
Instaled Retroarch last year. I need to install again or can just update the cores? My main reason is to run ISO beyond 2gb in external storage.

My Retroarch is the 69+, whe was in the Live store. Is better to uninstall this one before installing the Gam13r? Or they use two separed folders?

you have to download the most recent version. that's sadly the only way to be up to date these days.

if you want to switch to USB then I would FTP all folders of your Retroarch install to your PC, then put the folders on your USB drive, and follow the Retroarch USB setup that can be found here:

by copying all your folders to your USB, most of your settings and preferences should be simply detected by the new version and work right away after changing the directories and restarting Retroarch.

from that point forward all you have to do if you want to download a new version of Retroarch is change the directories again to your USB folders.

Banned
seems like an automatic patch for XBSX2 has been uploaded and should be pushed out soon (great to see we don't need to reinstall, this time at least :) )

Last edited:

Harlock

you have to download the most recent version. that's sadly the only way to be up to date these days.

if you want to switch to USB then I would FTP all folders of your Retroarch install to your PC, then put the folders on your USB drive, and follow the Retroarch USB setup that can be found here:

by copying all your folders to your USB, most of your settings and preferences should be simply detected by the new version and work right away after changing the directories and restarting Retroarch.

from that point forward all you have to do if you want to download a new version of Retroarch is change the directories again to your USB folders.

Thanks. Installed the new without problems.

One question: I tried change the internal resolution in Dolphin/Wii and N64, but in my 1920p TV I not sure if changed anything. This don´t work on Series S or I doing something wrong?

Banned
Thanks. Installed the new without problems.

One question: I tried change the internal resolution in Dolphin/Wii and N64, but in my 1920p TV I not sure if changed anything. This don´t work on Series S or I doing something wrong?
1920p? 1920x1080 I assume...

in Dolphin there should be an internal resolution multiplier setting. change that and then save the config, either as a core wide configuration or a game specific configuration which you can do at the very top of the core options menu where it says "Manage Core Options"

it then should work, maybe you need to restart the game tho not sure

Soltype

Anybody been able to get shaders to work with flycast? I end up with missing graphical layers or other weird effects when I use shaders, only on flycast though.

Edit- figured it out, flycast with direct 3D has issues with shaders in general.

Last edited:

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Does xbsx2 not run well at 4K on the series s? Duckstation seems to work great at 4K but I guess ps2 is a bit more graphics hungry for the s than x. I ran soul caliber 2 at 4K and it was 30fps but 1080p was a nice 60fps

RAIDEN1

I am looking to hopefully get the Dolphin emulator running on the Series X this weekend, to finally experience some Gamecube games for the first time in 15 odd years, even though I have the original console..I am hoping Dolphin gives the better experience, of particular interest is the last Wave Race game from 2001

Hayabusa83

Banned
Got the PS2 standalone emulator and have been playing Shadow of Rome, which so far runs perfectly. Gonna give Ace Combat Zero and Ace Combat 4 a shot later tonight.

Last edited:

Banned
Got the PS2 standalone emulator and have been playing Shadow of Rome, which so far runs perfectly. Gonna give Ace Combat Zero and Ace Combat 4 a shot later tonight.

yeah Shadow of Rome runs really well, only issue being the fake motion blur Capcom gave the game is really not looking that great on a modern tv 😭

I think in some games you can get rid of such effects by tinkering a bit in the render settings, but I haven't tried yet.

just started Maximo today, also runs basically perfectly outside of a minor graphics glitch with the Capcom logo in the splash screen

edit: the PCSX2 wiki has a fix for Shadow of Rome's motion blur
Workaround: You will want to tick the "Disable Interlace Offset" option under the Display tab, and also enable the Skipdraw hack with values 12,40 to remove the blur strips. Lastly, enable the Half-Pixel Offset: Normal (Vertex) hack to properly align the remaining blur filter.

I really hope that works, because I can't stand motion blur in the best cases, but SoR's weird blur due to PS2 effects meant for CRTs is really not pleasant to say the least

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
Was playing Ace Combat Zero last night in 1440p. Unfortunately, Ace Combat 4 only works perfectly when running the game in Software Rendering. Also played some Shaolin Monks, which looked spectacular and ran perfectly!

Crew511A

Was playing Ace Combat Zero last night in 1440p. Unfortunately, Ace Combat 4 only works perfectly when running the game in Software Rendering. Also played some Shaolin Monks, which looked spectacular and ran perfectly!

How do you turn on Software Rendering?

Banned
How do you turn on Software Rendering?

it's in the video options pretty high up in the list.

you can also (which is what I would recommend) bind a button combination to switch from Hardware to Software renderer. I bound it to Select+dpad Up

Last edited:

Crew511A

it's in the video options pretty high up in the list.

you can also (which is what I would recommend) bind a button combination to switch from Hardware to Software renderer. I bound it to Select+dpad Up

For Video, the only three choices I see are gl, d3d12, and d3d11. Am I doing something wrong?

Banned
For Video, the only three choices I see are gl, d3d12, and d3d11. Am I doing something wrong?

there should be software as an option 🤔

if it's not there look in the controller shortcuts for the Software Render shortcut and bind it to something (I always recommend Select + a dpad direction as that's the least intrusive button combination)

Last edited:

Banned
Yep, I meant PCSX2 on Retroarch. I was trying to turn on Software mode.

your first mistake is using Retroarch 😉

download XBSX2 and use that instead.
XBSX2 is uses the most recent PCSX2 PC version and is therefore not only faster but also has better compatibility.

you can move over all your PCSX2 files you already have should you have save files there you want to bring over.

Last edited:

Crew511A

your first mistake is using Retroarch 😉

download XBSX2 and use that instead.
XBSX2 is uses the most recent PCSX2 PC version and is therefore not only faster but also has better compatibility.

you can move over all your PCSX2 files you already have should you have save files there you want to bring over.

You weren't kidding. This is much better! Still some rough FPS drops on Outrun 2006, but I can finally play the PS2 version of Sega Rally. Thanks!

Banned
You weren't kidding. This is much better! Still some rough FPS drops on Outrun 2006, but I can finally play the PS2 version of Sega Rally. Thanks!

PS2 emulation is still a very mixed bag of course, but XBSX2 is basically as good as it currently gets.

and the dev behind it is really fast too, he already pushed out 3 patches since the Emulator released a week or so ago, ironing out some of the interface stuff

Last edited:

Banned
XBSX2 patches keep on coming

Fbo-qNrXwAENmji

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

As stated earlier in the page I was looking to get RetroArch activated on the Series X, which is what I did, but I have a query I need help with, Mario Kart the gamecube edition, and Mario Tennis also for the cube run relatively ok, but no matter the changes I make in RetroArch, they still have the black borders down the side, why would that be? Same goes with the James Bond game, everything or nothing......F-Zero fails to launch at all, and Wave Race for the cube launches ok, but the frame-rate in-game is very "jumpy" the screen remains unstable, why is that the case?

Banned
As stated earlier in the page I was looking to get RetroArch activated on the Series X, which is what I did, but I have a query I need help with, Mario Kart the gamecube edition, and Mario Tennis also for the cube run relatively ok, but no matter the changes I make in RetroArch, they still have the black borders down the side, why would that be? Same goes with the James Bond game, everything or nothing......F-Zero fails to launch at all, and Wave Race for the cube launches ok, but the frame-rate in-game is very "jumpy" the screen remains unstable, why is that the case?

which renderer do you use? if you use DX11 try switching to DX12 or the other way around.

I had issues like these in a very old version of Retroarch, haven't played much GC on Xbox since.

as for Framerates, that's an issue with Dolphin, some games do have weird stutters when emulated.
F-Zero GX, which should work btw I tried that back in the day, also has stutters on Dolphin sadly.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

which renderer do you use? if you use DX11 try switching to DX12 or the other way around.

I had issues like these in a very old version of Retroarch, haven't played much GC on Xbox since.
Hmmm, ok I'll try that next time I am on, I assume this would fix the border issue and get F-Zero GX and Wave Race for the cube to work?

Banned
Hmmm, ok I'll try that next time I am on, I assume this would fix the border issue and get F-Zero GX and Wave Race for the cube to work?

F-Zero GX should work but I had stutters with it.
the renderer shouldn't be an issue to make them launch tho.

make sure you have the newest Dolphin version folder btw. this can cause issues if outdated.

RAIDEN1

F-Zero GX should work but I had stutters with it.
the renderer shouldn't be an issue to make them launch tho.

make sure you have the newest Dolphin version folder btw. this can cause issues if outdated.
It was so much easier getting new roms onto the SNES mini than this! I'm sure I did download the latest Dolphin, but it is strange that Tennis and Kart and James Bond aren't having those issues, but F-Zero and Wave Race have problems...

Banned
It was so much easier getting new roms onto the SNES mini than this! I'm sure I did download the latest Dolphin, but it is strange that Tennis and Kart and James Bond aren't having those issues, but F-Zero and Wave Race have problems...

what are you using to store the games, do you FTP them into the internal storage of the Xbox or do you use the Windows User Permissions USB setup to play them?

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

what are you using to store the games, do you FTP them into the internal storage of the Xbox or do you use the Windows User Permissions USB setup to play them?
USB stick put them in the folder there, admittedly they do take a while to load but then these games are bigger in scale to what you got on the SNES cartridges..

Banned
USB stick put them in the folder there, admittedly they do take a while to load but then these games are bigger in scale to what you got on the SNES cartridges..

if you use USB, did you do the full USB setup where you change the user permissions in the Windows Folder settings?

because if you don't do that you will not be able to load games bigger than ~2GB and bios files will also not work correctly if stored on USB.

do you store your Bios files/Dolphin folder on your Xbox or USB?

RAIDEN1

Dolphin folder would be on the Xbox, as the only folder on the USB stick in relation to all of this would be the "gamecube games" folder, in order to access the roms that I can at present...ie Mario Tennis, and Mario Kart for G.C....I am beginning to think at this rate I might as well buy a Wii that is cube compatible that will allow me to go back and play these titles at this rate! No border issues or anything... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Banned
Dolphin folder would be on the Xbox, as the only folder on the USB stick in relation to all of this would be the "gamecube games" folder, in order to access the roms that I can at present...ie Mario Tennis, and Mario Kart for G.C....I am beginning to think at this rate I might as well buy a Wii that is cube compatible that will allow me to go back and play these titles at this rate! No border issues or anything... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I would recommend you to first backup all the files you currently have in your Xbox's Retroarch local state folder onto your PC and then follow the USB guide in this video

if you set this up you will never need to FTP anything onto your Xbox again and everything should work.

you need a Windows PC for that tho.

this is the cleanest setup possible IMO. the folder structure is of course not set in stone, the video only has a suggested setup.

the important part is the permissions for the folders and sub folders

Last edited:

Banned
there have been a few updates to XBSX2 again.

02-09-2022 Release

XBSX2 Updates:

Widescreen and No Interlacing Patches are finally fully functional thanks to t3.

Fixes an issue with ICO that previously made the game unplayable thanks to t3.

03-09-2022 Release

XBSX2 Updates:

The Reset Option in Controller Settings actually works now

Added a new Reset Option in Hotkey Settings so that hotkeys can now be reset independently, solves #9.

Changed the Game Fixes Icon.

Changed the terminology for No-Interlacing and Widescreen Patches.

05-09-2022 Release

Latest

XBSX2 Updates:Removes Logging from Directory Settings due to it only working when writing to internal.

New Assets - Credit: Katakana.

Backported some commits pertaining to the Renderers.

Small tweak to how the Game List is sorted, regardless of title capitalization game titles should now be sorted more conveniently.

Enables Full (Hash Cache) Texture Preloading by default.

not sure if these all went live on retail already, if not they will most likely come soon

Banned
So what has everyone been playing through? I finally beat UN squadron using save states. Crap was impossible when I was a kid.

I finished Disaster Report, currently playing its sequel Raw Danger (both of which sadly need to be played in software render mode due to annoying graphics glitches in hardware render... but at least that really gives you that true PS2 experience 🤣)
when I'm finished with that I already have Maximo, Maximo 2, Onimusha 2 and Shadow of Rome lined up.

every game here, except for Shadow of Rome, I never finished or even played before. so basically, I'm going through the PS2 catalogue and see which of the games that interest me did I never play or finish.

Last edited:

Soltype

So what has everyone been playing through? I finally beat UN squadron using save states. Crap was impossible when I was a kid.
Been playing SSX Tricky/3 and Outrunners on mame. I'm thoroughly impressed with the PS2 emulation, outside of Yakuza 7 I don't play any new games on my series x anymore.Also shoutout to 01011001 01011001 . This thread has been crazy helpful.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Been messing around with arcade games in FB Neo. Started with AvP, TMNT, and Night Slashers. Got an itch for beat 'em ups.

Top Bottom