• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return of the Jedi Cinematography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstripes

Banned
return-of-the-jedi-duel.gif

Empire is better, but there is nothing that tops this sequence.

Give me that any day of the week over wuxia wannabe bullshit.

Why? Kylo proposes that Rey joins him and as he waits for her to respond she does some slow-mo meditating for 5 seconds before letting the Force 'flow through her' and bitchslapping him.

Because it breaks the whole scene. Kylo can't push past her in those five seconds? The Force suddenly makes her a badass lightsaber duelist? To be fair none of this bothers me when I watch the film, but if I'm gonna compare the scene to ROTJ or ESB duels it's important to note that the TFA duel just comes out of nowhere. Like the Finn part was cool, but the Rey part just looks cool but really doesn't make sense to me, even under the pretense she "absorbed" a lot of Kylo's training when she probed his mind. Admittedly all the scene's problems are in the narrative, it does look damn good.

It just breaks a lot of what Jedi training is. I mean hell in Episode VIII is she just gonna probe Luke's head and be the most badass Jedi ever? Because that seems entirely possible after what she did in TFA.

oMs6ZBW.gif

IMO the Rey vs Kylo duel combines the powerful cinematography of ESB with the emotional impact of the ROTJ duel. It's a perfect mix of the two styles.

bionic77

Because it breaks the whole scene. Kylo can't push past her in those five seconds? The Force suddenly makes her a badass lightsaber duelist? To be fair none of this bothers me when I watch the film, but if I'm gonna compare the scene to ROTJ or ESB duels it's important to note that the TFA duel just comes out of nowhere. Like the Finn part was cool, but the Rey part just looks cool but really doesn't make sense to me, even under the pretense she "absorbed" a lot of Kylo's training when she probed his mind. Admittedly all the scene's problems are in the narrative, it does look damn good.

It just breaks a lot of what Jedi training is. I mean hell in Episode VIII is she just gonna probe Luke's head and be the most badass Jedi ever? Because that seems entirely possible after what she did in TFA.
She was most likely a student of Luke's before Kylo burned it to the ground.

Just like with Luke there is a huge hole in her background story that will be filled in during the next 2 movies.

That whole scene gave me feels to the max. Starting from when she gets the lightsaber to when she levels up at the end. Granted I am a huge Star Wars nerd, but I loved TFA.

oMs6ZBW.gif

IMO the Rey vs Kylo duel combines the powerful cinematography of ESB with the emotional impact of the ROTJ duel. It's a perfect mix of the two styles.

This really wasn't a duel in the sense that Vader was simply testing Luke. He was never in any real danger. But the use of contrasting colors in the freezing chamber was great.

She was most likely a student of Luke's before Kylo burned it to the ground.

Just like with Luke there is a huge hole in her background story that will be filled in during the next 2 movies.

That whole scene gave me feels to the max. Starting from when she gets the lightsaber to when she levels up at the end. Granted I am a huge Star Wars nerd, but I loved TFA.

But even when I take the age at which she was dropped off, it doesn't make sense. I agree that it was probably Luke that dropped her off on the planet, but she appeared to be a youngling, how much training did she actually have that put her on an equivalent level to an older student of Luke's who was then trained by Snoke? I just can't suspend my disbelief enough to where that works, at least with what we know so far.

And don't get me wrong, I love TFA, but the Rey vs. Kylo duel is easily my least favorite part of the film. Well not worse than that rathtar sequence but still.

TheXbox

Aside from a few shots it's a really ugly movie, Richard Marquand had no business directing a film like this. The lighting is so bad that it makes some of the sets look like they're from a TV show, the Emperor's throne room in particular. The space battles and some of the Jabba's palace shots look good but that's about it.

I don't know what budget they were working with but the end product looks incredibly cheap compared to Empire. I still can't believe that shot of the Star Destroyer hitting the Death Star made it into the movie.
I love ROTJ but I have to agree with this. I guess the pool of capable directors willing to direct Star Wars and not in the director's guild was pretty small? idk. Maybe Lucas should've got off his ass and directed it himself. ANH was made with five dollars and shoestring and it still looks better than ROTJ.

edit: just to be fair, ANH, ESB, and TFA are the only Star Wars movies with good cinematography. The prequels are shot like a CW show; nothing but alternating close-ups and gross CGI establishing shots. All of these movies are elevated by fantastic art, because otherwise they'd look like fucking shit (excepting those other three).

Window

The most enduring memory of Jedi from my first viewing as a kid I have is Luke in black against the bright blue sky and the yellow sand dunes of Tatooine with the green lightsaber in his hand. However on recent viewings I found the entire opening to be pretty atrocious.

From a visual standpoint nothing comes close to ESB in the series. It feels truly operatic in every way.

Ogodei

I don't think I have seen a space battle that tops what we got in ROTJ.

Maybe in the next SW movie it can finally be surpassed.

Yup. Coruscant in Episode III was close but it was too limited in scope (mostly because we drop in en media res so we don't get the same amount of stakes), while episode VII's slavish devotion to recreating the battle of Yavin meant we didn't get any real ship-to-ship combat.

Endor was a high-water mark for the franchise in terms of battles.

dave_m123

Yup. Coruscant in Episode III was close but it was too limited in scope (mostly because we drop in en media res so we don't get the same amount of stakes), while episode VII's slavish devotion to recreating the battle of Yavin meant we didn't get any real ship-to-ship combat.

Endor was a high-water mark for the franchise in terms of battles.

High water mark for any space battle seen in film IMO. Still how they did the crazy movement back then.

bionic77

But even when I take the age at which she was dropped off, it doesn't make sense. I agree that it was probably Luke that dropped her off on the planet, but she appeared to be a youngling, how much training did she actually have that put her on an equivalent level to an older student of Luke's who was then trained by Snoke? I just can't suspend my disbelief enough to where that works, at least with what we know so far.

And don't get me wrong, I love TFA, but the Rey vs. Kylo duel is easily my least favorite part of the film. Well not worse than that rathtar sequence but still.
The force was never really well defined. Is Rey just more talented or powerful and how much of a difference does that make? It is also hard to tell if Kylo is a scrub or he was just weakened from his serous injuries.

For me the scene worked in the moment. As for the mystery of Rey's background and her becoming a badass in the star killer and against Kylo we will just have to see how well developed that story actually is in the next 2 movies.

GhaleonEB

Yeah. The ending fight to Jedi works because of the music, setting and emotion built from the trilogy. In context it's amazing, and it's shot beautifully. The choreography is really bad, though, but I'm more than happy to forgive it since it worked so well.

But that TFA shot alone shows how far the choreography has come, and it was beautifully shot; having the sabers actually glow added to a visually stunning sequence. My favorite duel in the series so far.

GhaleonEB

I like the vapour coming off the sabers, as well as that they actually cast light now. Proper use of improved technology to enhance the saber fights while keeping their core intact.

I also like how hefty they look, how weighty the impacts are. As you said, it's a great evolution of the saber. It helps that they actually had lit sabers when shooting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just noticed Luke's lightsaber actually ricochets off the railing I mean, shouldn't it slice clean through some wimpy metal?

ExVicis

I just noticed Luke's lightsaber actually ricochets off the railing I mean, shouldn't it slice clean through some wimpy metal?
Maybe the Emperor knew there might be a fight there and had specifications that his throne room be made of saber resistant material.

Honestly getting that material is probably what caused such a delay in the construction of the Death Star. That shit takes fucking weeks to get shipped in from the Outer Rim. I don't know how the Emperor was expecting to have his deadline met with such ridiculous conditions.

GhaleonEB

Sabers don't cut through anything just instantly, it takes power behind them to do it. They bounce and ricochet off objects all the time in the films (even people, as when Luke whacks Vader's shoulder in Empire).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The snowy forest lightsaber battle from TFA is my favorite now.

This GIF is amazing. I just stared it at for a long, long time looking for the looping point.

That shot is barely lit. It doesn't have any visible atmosphere. It succeeds through music and the dolly but otherwise, like most of Jedi, it looks like it takes place in an artificially lit set.

Empire is incredibly shot and lit. It used a more narrow depth of field. The as before mentioned millennium falcon cockpit shots between the films shot how much more lush and warm Empire is in comparison.

I'd also like to know why hair and makeup is so poor, especially on Luke.

Thank you much.
That shot is barely lit. It doesn't have any visible atmosphere. It succeeds through music and the dolly but otherwise, like most of Jedi, it looks like it takes place in an artificially lit set.
We can critique all the individual pieces that make up this scene, but at the end of the day this sequence as a whole is still the best out of anything else in Star Wars.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Empire is incredibly shot and lit. It used a more narrow depth of field. The as before mentioned millennium falcon cockpit shots between the films shot how much more lush and warm Empire is in comparison.

I'd also like to know why hair and makeup is so poor, especially on Luke.

I think Lucas was determined to keep ROTJ within budget, unlike Empire which went over. He was much more strict with the production and was able to impose himself on Marquand whereas Kershner wouldn't give a shit about his influence.

Travo

Thank you for this thread. I knew there was something about Jedi's cinematography that seemed off and inferior to Empire. I just couldn't put my finger on what exactly it was.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I also love how in this scene you can really tell who the person with training is. Rey and Finn are clumsily swinging their lightsaber around while Kylo makes his lightsaber look like an extension of his arm.

And yet he still gets beat by an untrained person. They hype Kylo as the most powerful and he struggles with Finn who isn't force sensitive and then gets bitchmade by Rey who has never touched a sabre.

And yet he still gets beat by an untrained person. They hype Kylo as the most powerful and he struggles with Finn who isn't force sensitive and then gets bitchmade by Rey who has never touched a sabre.

He's severely injured and weakened physically and emotionally. The force is also not something that you level up by putting in hours in a training class, it's vague and mysterious and can be channeled, and the extent to which someone can use it may vary greatly depending on that individual.

But yeah, that shot and entire sequence is very well filmed.

He's severely injured and weakened physically and emotionally. The force is also not something that you level up by putting in hours in a training class, it's vague and can be channeled and the extent to which someone can use it may vary greatly depending on that individual.

I don't think he "struggled" with Finn either. Finn managed to get a hit in, but that only pissed Kylo off even more and he put Finn down right after.

He may be more powerful (not a Sith master, just more trained), but he is also near dead. Did you forget what happened on the bridge?

He's severely injured and weakened physically and emotionally. The force is also not something that you level up by putting in hours in a training class, it's vague and can be channeled and the extent to which someone can use it may vary greatly depending on that individual.

Seriously, the fact he's even standing after taking the bowcaster hit - shown in the movie to hit like a freaking grenade - is a testament to Kylo's physical strength. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it served as setup for him dominating when they face each other again - him at full power and with no handicaps in Rey's favour.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Agree, although 'The force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet' comes damn close.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it served as setup for him dominating when they face each other again - him at full power and with no handicaps in Rey's favour.

I strongly suspect he will absolutely annihilate her in the inevitable rematch.

I really don't get these comments at all, were you not watching the preceding 5 mins of the movie?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Well that was the point. Rey was calm and "felt the Force" whereas Kylo was completely deranged after murdering his own father and being shot by his furry uncle.

Clashes between Force users are decided by a battle of wills, not by whoever has the most training or midichlorians.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Clashes between Force users are decided by a battle of wills, not by whoever has the most training or midichlorians.

Exactly, look at what happened with Darth Maul, he got arrogant and lost.

I wouldn't say he struggles with Finn. He knocks him to the ground and lets him get back up instead of taking him out. It's his arrogance that lets Finn get a hit on him.

I think this fight is awful because it lacks emotional depth. We know nothing about Rey, so there's just no reason to care about her victory. The vast amount of information that is withheld really hurts the film. The fight between Vader and Obi-wan has a lot more meaning to it because we know why these two guys want to kill each other. Vader murdered Obi-wan's best friend and ruined his whole life. Vader hates his former teacher and has a massive inferiority complex. And underneath it all, there's a new kid who might change everything - and Vader has no idea. That twinkle in Kenobi's eye before he lets himself be killed says it all.

Kylo, who is a really well drawn character up to this point, seems to want to kill Rey because he's... jealous? Then he wants to train her because... I honestly don't know.

Markitron

That's honestly my favorite line in the series. It has such an aura of menace in the way Vader says it.

Mine too, followed closely by every single line from the Emperor in RotJ

I think this fight is awful because it lacks emotional depth. We know nothing about Rey, so there's just no reason to care about her victory.

She is an extremely likeable character, who is in mortal danger from a guy who just killed the series' 2nd most popular character in cold blood. Was that not enough for you?

Kylo, who is a really well drawn character up to this point, seems to want to kill Rey because he's... jealous? Then he wants to train her because... I honestly don't know.

He wanted to Kill Finn because he was a traitor that took the map away from him. He wanted to train Rey as he was explicitly ordered to do so by his master.

I think this fight is awful because it lacks emotional depth. We know nothing about Rey, so there's just no reason to care about her victory. The vast amount of information that is withheld really hurts the film. The fight between Vader and Obi-wan has a lot more meaning to it because we know why these two guys want to kill each other. Vader murdered Obi-wan's best friend and ruined his whole life. Vader hates his former teacher and has a massive inferiority complex. And underneath it all, there's a new kid who might change everything - and Vader has no idea. That twinkle in Kenobi's eye before he lets himself be killed says it all.

He fights her because Snoke ordered him to bring her to him. I assumed he wants to train Rey as he's probably having thoughts of trying to overthrow his master.

I wouldn't agree about having no reason to care for Rey's victory either. No, we don't know who her parents were. But we know she's a good person and that she's brave enough to defend her friend in a fight against a trained force user.

-shadow-

This always gave me the chills, Luke hiding from his father and also hiding from the darkness that could potentially doom him. The whole segment with him, Vader, and the Emperor is really stunning overall.

tumblr_oc8568b85U1tghj17o5_r1_540.gif

This scene in its entirety elevates Return over Empire. I won't deny that Empire isn't the better made, paced, shot and what not film. But seriously the final sequence between Luke/Vader/Emperor is so ridiculously well done. And that music... Oh man! X3

The cinematography in ESB is so amazing. i still watch the Luke Vs Vader seen to this day.

The lighting, atmosphere, direction, they're all so perfect. Plus, the 'I'm your father' at the end just tops it off with a cherry on top. I hope episode 8 tops it or atleast tries.

The fighting in TFA is awesome until Rey starts fighting. Shes just swinging and too much slow mo shots. When Kylo was fighting Finn it was much better

She is an extremely likeable character, who is in mortal danger from a guy who just killed the series' 2nd most popular character in cold blood. Was that not enough for you?

Those are the same stakes as in every other action sequence in the film, which is my point. Rey is super likeable, which is why we want to see her survive being chased by Tie fighters or stormtroopers. But the fights that are being talked about in this thread are personal conflicts that two characters are trying to resolve. They're like violent therapy sessions; father versus son, student versus teacher, a young man trying to avenge his father versus a general trying to redeem his greatest defeat. These scenes would be just as interesting if the duelists were sitting on couches screaming at each other. They matter in an emotional way, which is why they can overcome deficiencies in the choreography and special effects - while the duels in the prequels can't.

TFA comes halfway toward meeting this standard. It has the most sympathetic villain in the series' history. But there's nothing between Rey and Kylo because the filmmakers refuse to tell us what their connection is. It's one of the film's biggest flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom