• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return of the Jedi Cinematography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Lucas was determined to keep ROTJ within budget, unlike Empire which went over. He was much more strict with the production and was able to impose himself on Marquand whereas Kershner wouldn't give a shit about his influence.

My guess is really that Lucas had the movie storyboarded ahead of time and Kershner came in to direct the actors and not so much the camera. Empire is framed like all of the other Lucas produced/directed Star Wars films. The art of books pretty well show key shots and lighting is determined way ahead of time and before Irvin was even hired.

My understanding is Richard Marquand was under intense pressure to get it finished on time and under budget (ANH and ESB were both over budget and at risk of bankrupting Lucas).

wat

You dont just automatically master the force.
What happened in TFA was just something called:
Writer's convenience
No, the Force isn't something to master. But something that helps if you open yourself to its guidance. Like helping someone nail an impossible shot or overcome a superior but less Force-attuned foe

J_Viper

I'll be rewatching the OG trilogy for the first time since I was a kid sometime this week, and RoTJ is the one I fear most going back too.

a916

I'll be rewatching the OG trilogy for the first time since I was a kid sometime this week, and RoTJ is the one I fear most going back too.

I went through all 6 before Force Awakens, and there's a significant chunks I would remove. That movie has a lot of bad parts (for example the 3CPO worshipping and Ewok stuff)

The force being stronger as an ally than as a weapon is like.... core Star Wars, dude.

Vader still curb stomped Luke in their first fight... untrained in the force, should still be untrained in the force.

I went through all 6 before Force Awakens, and there's a significant chunks I would remove. That movie has a lot of bad parts (for example the 3CPO worshipping and Ewok stuff)

Vader still curb stomped Luke in their first fight... untrained in the force, should still be untrained in the force.

Thats what I didn't like about TFA. Rey's victory didn't feel earned. Why even have an Academy? Yoda was wasting his time with the younglings. Apparently, Luke just needs to sit down with people for a couple hours.

Its not like Luke using the force to nail an impossible shot. Rey fought off a trained duelist for several minutes.

Its not like Luke using the force to nail an impossible shot. Rey fought off a trained duelist for several minutes.

He guided a torpedo with the force. He didnt destroy someone that was trained for 10 plus years and he didnt use the mind trick on anyone

He was injured and was clearly a bit messed up mentally after killing his dad. Plus it's not like Rey didn't know how to handle herself in close quarters combat. She was pretty lethal with that staff.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Thats what I didn't like about TFA. Rey's victory didn't feel earned. Why even have an Academy? Yoda was wasting his time with the younglings. Apparently, Luke just needs to sit down with people for a couple hours.

Luke had Obi Wan to introduce him to the force, was getting taught by Yoda for a while. And still got curb stomped.

You have Kylo getting trained by Luke prior and now Snoke.

And then you have Rey who, just found out the force is real a day ago calling upon its power like a Saiyan.

Luke had Obi Wan to introduce him to the force, was getting taught by Yoda for a while. And still got curb stomped.

And then you have Rey who, just found out the force is real a day ago calling upon its power like a Saiyan.

Luke never really faced Vader until Jedi. His ESB duel was Vader testing Luke. Vader wanted to convert Luke, not kill him.

But I don't think we're disagreeing about Rey using haxxorz to win.

He was injured and was clearly a bit messed up mentally after killing his dad. Plus it's not like Rey didn't know how to handle herself in close quarters combat. She was pretty lethal with that staff.

Ehhh yeah. But how does she know that she can even control someones mind? And how does she do it?

Ehhh yeah. But how does she know that she can even control someones mind? And how does she do it?

Kylo interrogates her earlier in the film and though he manages to extract some things from her mind, Rey manages to fight him off and rummage around his mind as well. Maybe this triggers an 'awakening' of her powers or she discovers some of the other ways she can use the Force by doing this.

Timu

return-of-the-jedi-duel.gif

Empire is better, but there is nothing that tops this sequence.
This is not only one of my fav Star wars scenes but also one of my fav scenes in movie history. Dat music, dat emotion, just everything is perfect!!!

Motherfucker, if you found out tomorrow that wizards are real and you were interrogated by an evil one, lord knows you'd try to Gandalf your way out of it.

DavidDesu

Yeah this is the really redeeming feature of the film stylistically. Loved when Luke is hiding in the shadows while Vader lurks about leading up to this climax. What I didn't like was how lame and dull the lightsaber duel is up to that point. Some REALLY shaky camera work at point, like the steadicam operator was drunk kind of shots, and the lightsaber choreography was dull. I don't want Obi/Abi duel tomfoolery, but it could have been a little more dynamic (Cloud City's multi-part duel was full of cool little moments).

I can't help but feel that Johnson is going to knock it out the park in terms of tone and dynamism and then that guy that made the pretty-average-nothing-spectacular Jurassic World is gonna pull a Jedi on us in the last film with much of the drama sucked out of it with lame shots and direction...

EDIT: OH FOR FUCKS SAKE GUYS.

Reading the latest comments on a Return of the Jedi cinematography thread and your talking about the Rey being a Mary Sue bollocks. Fucking hell get a grip.

WillyFive

tumblr_o0lz1cbYC21tbrq9vo2_1280.jpg

EPVII_Kylo_Ren_Final_Battle-1536x864-350327783729.jpg

This was a great shot, especially with the score.

wat

Writer's convenience

The Force got Luke to blow up the Death Star (without a targeting computer).
The Force got Leia to find Luke on Bespin (without knowing where he was).
The Force got Vader to learn he had a daughter from Luke (despite having no reason to believe this).

And The Force wasn't even the thing that made Rey win the battle against Ren, it was Chewie's laser blast from 10 minutes earlier.

Kylo interrogates her earlier in the film and though he manages to extract some things from her mind, Rey manages to fight him off and rummage around his mind as well. Maybe this triggers an 'awakening' of her powers or she discovers some of the other ways she can use the Force by doing this.

Ok im convinced.
I gotta start looking at the bigger picture

A-V-B

The Force got Vader to learn he had a daughter from Luke (despite having no reason to believe this).

I will say that two out of three of these characters had already received some kind of training or supernatural assistance, and two of the moments had to do with blood relationships allowing people to find each other with the Force. And Luke was already a freaking awesome pilot. It's part of his backstory, right? What's more, the scene was about trusting your own humanity/the Force, and not letting a machine take over your judgement (Darth Vader, anyone?) so there's a thematic grounding to support the moment.

tumblr_o0lz1cbYC21tbrq9vo2_1280.jpg

EPVII_Kylo_Ren_Final_Battle-1536x864-350327783729.jpg

This was a great shot, especially with the score.

And The Force wasn't even the thing that made Rey win the battle against Ren, it was Chewie's laser blast from 10 minutes earlier.

Seriously ppl pay attention when you watch the movie.

AxelFoley

Exactly.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Easily in my Top Five favorite scenes ever; and absolutely the best scene in Star Wars. The build up, the emotion, the dialogue... DAT MUSIC. DAT RAGE. That tracking wide shot. So fucking good.

rekameohs

Banned
And yet he still gets beat by an untrained person. They hype Kylo as the most powerful and he struggles with Finn who isn't force sensitive and then gets bitchmade by Rey who has never touched a sabre.
Yeah people are usually known to be quite composed right after murdering their father.

teiresias

I love ROTJ but I have to agree with this. I guess the pool of capable directors willing to direct Star Wars and not in the director's guild was pretty small? idk. Maybe Lucas should've got off his ass and directed it himself. ANH was made with five dollars and shoestring and it still looks better than ROTJ.

edit: just to be fair, ANH, ESB, and TFA are the only Star Wars movies with good cinematography. The prequels are shot like a CW show; nothing but alternating close-ups and gross CGI establishing shots. All of these movies are elevated by fantastic art, because otherwise they'd look like fucking shit (excepting those other three).

Was there a Director's Guild strike at the time? I don't know the history.

And yeah, that final fight between Luke and Vader is amazing (I make sure to never watch the version with the "Nooo" inserted), and Williams score just elevates it even higher. I can't wait to see what they do with Luke in the next one(s).

Ren had also just been shot by The Bowcaster, which they spent half the movie explaining to you was basically a fucking rocket launcher.

Meowster

I never understood why Vader tripped at the end of the fight, it looked a bit out of place
I think you can see this throughout that fight though. At the very beginning of it, Luke knocks him down a flight of stairs. The Darth Vader from Empire wouldn't have allowed that. He's trying to turn his son to the dark side while struggling himself with the possibility of turning to the light. He's unfocused and I don't think he really cared about winning at that point. You knew at that point he really wouldn't hurt his son anymore. He gave up.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ren had also just been shot by The Bowcaster, which they spent half the movie explaining to you was basically a fucking rocket launcher.

So many people forget or ignore this. He got shot by a bowcaster, that alone is enough explanation for his severely weakened state. You see others flying through the room after being hit with that thing.

WillyFive

So many people forget or ignore this. He got shot by a bowcaster, that alone is enough explanation for his severely weakened state. You see others flying through the room after being hit with that thing.

They even frequently made a point to show Ren was bleeding and fighting intense pain when facing off against Finn and Rey during the lightsaber battle.

As far as "The Force saves the good guys" moments go in the series, this one has more story-given excuses to be more believable than most of the others.

A-V-B

They even frequently made a point to show Ren was bleeding and fighting intense pain when facing off against Finn and Rey during the lightsaber battle.

As far as "The Force saves the good guys" moments go in the series, this one has more story-given excuses to be more believable than most of the others.

Wait... if it's the bowcaster that saves them, that doesn't mean the Force scene is believable. It means Kylo was weak and gave Rey enough of a chance to survive.

jelly

Also, Han Solo basically tells the audience how powerful that bow caster is and you see it being used a few times to devastating affect.

Finn got his ass kicked.

Rey was scrambling a lot of the time too until the end were she realised the force could be used for power after Kylo tells her then I dunno, lets it in and unleashes stronger blows on a broken Kylo.

RevenWolf

Also, Han Solo basically tells the audience how powerful that bow caster is and you see it being used a few times to devastating affect.

Finn got his ass kicked.

Rey was scrambling a lot of the time too until the end were she realised the force could be used for power after Kylo tells her then I dunno, lets it in and unleashes stronger blows on a broken Kylo.

Exactly, and the reason she was pushed back was because she wasn't using the force AT ALL.

When he asks her to join them, you can see/feel the desperation, he's bleeding out from essentially ranking a hand grenade to the gut, and just defeated another person.

Not to mention his emotional turmoil at killing his father and not feeling anywhere near as powerful as he thought he would be (evidenced by being hurt by Finn).

Frankly it's a demonstration that he's physically tough as the best of them, but reinforces what's always been implied that the force is as much about mind and body.

Hell he was shown several times earlier in the movies lose confidence in his abilities and having the force fail him as a result.

mrkgoo

wat

Writer's convenience

Lest we forget luke nails the exhaust port in A New Hope with minimal training in the Force, with a shot that wasn't made by a trained rebel squadron leader with a targeting computer.

GhaleonEB

wat

Writer's convenience

She didn't master the force. She learned some basic concepts and applications from someone who was (inadvertently) teaching what it could do, and then manged a few moments of tapping into it when she focused and believed that she could. Her usage makes sense in both the context of the film and the context of the series. It's quite comparable to what Luke pulls off.

A farmer using a sword for the first time blocking laser blasts while blind after mere moments of practice and a few sentences from Obi-Wan about the Force is at least on par with what Rey does in TFA.

J_Viper

Oh fuck ewoks, I somehow forgot about those things.

Well, is there anything good about RoTJ aside from the legendary Luke/Vader confrontation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom