• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return of the King: AMD's R9 290x is faster than the Titan and almost 1/2 the price

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
shit-just-got-real-o.gif

J-Rzez

I'm a hardcore green guy and I really applaud team red on this. We needed them to step up their game and get Nvidia to remove their green tax.

On a side note, I'm not sure why these manufacturers, those known for their non-reference coolers, don't have their solutions available at launch.

Holy shit. 93c??? That's absurd. I was all about this but now I'm not sure.

I keep seeing this but I don't understand. If the card is warrantied at that temperature.. and was designed for that.... what's the problem?

Plus it's winter, this thing can help heat my room.

Sethos

Banned
Usual AMD product; way too loud and way too hot.

Luckily this means Nvidia needs to respond, thank god for competition.

Tablo

Super impressed, really smart architecture and power management (that I desperately want more info on).

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/23/long-look-amds-hawaii-volcanic-islands-architecture/

They break it down pretty well, really freaked out for Nvidia's sake in terms of sheer performance, Nvidia still wins for me on software and value feature sets. 780 Ti at 500 please? This only makes my impatience for Maxwell more desperate, got to see what it's going to include.

HariKari

Usual AMD product; way too loud and way too hot.

Luckily this means Nvidia needs to respond, thank god for competition.

So Origin PC comes out and says AMD cards are unreliable. What do they do? Go and release a card that runs hot as shit stock in the year 2013. I'll wait for the Nvidia counter-punch. Price wars are good for consumers.

woober

Hmm...what's the best GPU water cooler? I have a Corsair H110 for CPU...

I have a modified Antec 620 cpu cooler that I use for my 6950. I'm wondering if I can do the same mod to the 290x. The mount screws might be different... but I think it's worth a shot.

antonz

What did AMD just produce a titankiller at half the cost?

Or am I going crazy?

It's more AMD finally pulled their head out of their ass so NVidia can no longer charge whatever they want. Titan was nothing more than Nvidia milking the high end market with a midstep while their real next gen cards were still in development.

It's more AMD finally pulled their head out of their ass so NVidia can no longer charge whatever they want. Titan was nothing more than Nvidia milking the high end market with a midstep while their real next gen cards were still in development.

See that makes sense. The titan card always seemed a weird move on Nvidia's part but I guess it was as you said

antonz

See that makes sense. The titan card always seemed a weird move on Nvidia's part but I guess it was as you said

It works so well. You have people already trashing their rather new 780s etc. to make that tiny leap. Then in 4 months when Nvidia unveils their nextgen it will happen again oh time to dump the 290x for whatever

dmr87

I'm not gonna buy, but this will force Nvidia to lower some shit, 780 and Titan specifically. I'll probably hold out for Maxwell though.

If I can't hold out I'll look at 780s after the price adjustment, my 670s are getting old and boring.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I have an OC GTX 780, and I'd rather buy another and go SLI then ever use an AMD card again. Can't stand their drivers. But good on AMD for being competitive. Just makes Nvidia hungry to get the crown back.

Demon Ice

Banned
HOoooooly shit, welcome back to the party AMD, we missed you.

THIS is the type of competition the market needs. Nvidia's $1000 GPU finally got kicked in the pants, and by a card half its price! Haaa

Stock coolers are always shit. Wait for Gigabyte or Asus to slap a good cooler on there, or water cool it.

Jockel

Am I the only one that read the title as "AMDs R9 is 290x faster than Titan"? I was getting excited for no reason.

According to the Guru3d review, the first run might be limited production and we probably won't see aftermarket coolers and non reference designs until mid december.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
God this is tempting.

That said, having already bought a PS4 and Xbox one this year, and having a admirable rig still (3770k, 69502GB, 16GB) I think I can wait till the next iteration or maybe longer.

This is impressive, but I want something that can play Elder Scroll's VI modded at 1080p 30fps+.

Which judging by the past, will take a pretty beefy card.

(Not to mention Occulus Rift requirements in which case, crossfire)

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Well this is perfect, cancelled my ps4 preorder and now I see this! PC gaming is back in a big way :)!!!

... will still get a ps4 later, just waiting for the 1 tb HD+ bundled game + games I actually care about ;)!

sirap

Holy shit, those temps @ that draw is nuts for someone living in a tropical country. Fans will be loud as fuck if I want to keep this thing cool.

Too loud, too hot and way too expensive for me... but it's nice to see a very powerful GPU that is priced better.

AMD and Nvidia need to keep driving down prices. I'm ready to upgrade my 6950 but the prices of GPUs lately has put me off with the affordable cards not offering a big enough upgrade.

Rafterman

Banned
Yeah lol. 95c is nothing! It really isn't a big deal. Run dual 480gtx's and that's some heat.

I had SLI 480's...they never came close to 95c and they were thrashed by people for their heat issues. Even if the card is stable at that temp, there is no way in hell I'd let it run that hot. The amount of heat it would pump either into your case or into your room would be incredible. There's no way I'd own one of these without water cooling.

Shitballs

My thoughts exactly. This thing screams for some additional cooling. But, maybe it plays in my favor since I am waiting to see what the 780Ti has to offer.

Thacker said:
Did you do buy it now or just do a .99c no reserve type deal?

BIN. Probably could have made a little more auction style. I have a second 580 to sell when I make up my mind on the new card.

Top Bottom