• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews: Monster Hunter Generations

squall23

Looked into it and you're right. This time they can only make charms that are actually possible to get in the game.
I've always found people that hack charms that way to be extremely dumb. Even the best possible legitimate charms in the game can be super OP as long as you have the correct armour, so they could've at least done that and at least kind of hide that they're cheaters.

Kinsei

Banned
I know they were in the japanese version, but has NOA/Capcom confirmed the Link/Samus/etc DLC from MH4U would be returning to MHG? I assume they will be, no? It actually will influence which weapons I main, tbh.

They're in. Data mining the demo has revealed that pretty much all of the DLC is in the NA version, even ones that are normally Japan only like the Pirate J stuff and some anime crossovers like the Dark Magician armor for your cat.

For some reason it lists the varia suit as male only and the zero suit as female only. I really hope that's an error and in the full game they can be used by both sexes.

georly

They're in. Data mining the demo has revealed that pretty much all of the DLC is in the NA version, even ones that are normally Japan only like the Pirate J stuff and some anime crossovers like the Dark Magician armor for your cat.

For some reason it lists the varia suit as male only and the zero suit as female only. I really hope that's an error and in the full game they can be used by both sexes.

Zero suit was usable by both in 4U? Huh. neat, never knew.

Wonder how long before they're unlocked. Thanks for letting me know though.

Mupod

Water battles were fine. Don't know why they get such a bad rap.

They were very weapon dependent. It was free wins as HBG but tedious on hammer or GS. The slow movement sucked the fun out of it for me in Tri, having my HBG back in 3U made it tolerable but only because I murdered all the Plesioths in 2 minutes.

Adamator

Maybe not the right thread for this but here goes.

I've never played Monster Hunter but I thought I would give 4 a try because I heard it was a great entry point. However due to my backlog, I've yet to play the game except for the 5-10 min I did when I first got it.

But now that Generations is out. I've been wondering if that should be my first Monster Hunter game or should I stick with MH4U?

How is Generations for a total beginner? Better/worse than 4U?

Couple questions (sorry if they sound basic, this will be my first MH game):

1. Is there matchmaking for online play?

2. I already have a 3DSXL. I was wondering if it would be better to upgrade to a New3DSXL for this game or will it not make much of a difference?

Thanks for the help!

2. I already have a 3DSXL. I was wondering if it would be better to upgrade to a New3DSXL for this game or will it not make much of a difference?

Thanks for the help!

1. In MonHun online, you select the specific monster/quest you want to hunt/do, and then you get a list of all the rooms available that match your criteria. So, no matchmaking.

2. The target camera helps mitigate the need for a dedicated camera stick, but to maximize flexibility/ease of use/hi-level play I recommend using the c-stick and/or frankenstick. Performance-wise, it should be roughly the same on both systems.

Kinsei

Banned

Thanks for the help!

1. It's a lobby system. You join (or create) a lobby with certain parameters. Say you want to farm a low rank Rathalo because you need his materials, you would look at the lobbies and join one that says "Hunting Rathalos".

2. Getting the new3DS or circle pad pro would help, but I sank hundreds of hours into MH3U without them. You can place a D-pad on the touch screen and use it for camera control with your right thumb.

Fistwell

Thanks for the help!
1) No matchmaking afaik, if it remains comparable to what it's always been, there are lobbies, and you can browse them. It's not difficult to find a party, especially when the game's just come out. Easier still if you want to roll with gaf people and post in the OT.

2) The game is infinitely more comfortable with a second stick/nub for the camera. If you have a frankenstick, I'd say you're fine. There are performance enhancements on N3DS but dunno if it's worth it. The nub is convenient enough, although not as comfy as the frankenstick to me.

Beaten...

Fandangox

Maybe not the right thread for this but here goes.

I've never played Monster Hunter but I thought I would give 4 a try because I heard it was a great entry point. However due to my backlog, I've yet to play the game except for the 5-10 min I did when I first got it.

But now that Generations is out. I've been wondering if that should be my first Monster Hunter game or should I stick with MH4U?

How is Generations for a total beginner? Better/worse than 4U?

If you already own MH4U Might as well play that and see if you enjoy it before you drop $40 more on the new one.

If that doesn't really bother you though, then there's no reason not to pick Generations.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Does anyone know if the EU and US servers will be the same again? I'm in EU with a US n3DS and I'm hoping that I'll be able to play normally with people in the EU.

The drop rates are kinda a thing in MonHun and I doubt that will ever change. I know it can get tiring to kill the same monster repeatedly. In my case, I see every fight as an opportinuty to master the monster. I try different weapons, sets, etc to take them down. I try to do it faster every time, and in the end, every fight ends up being fun.

They really should adjust them based on the number of players. Or give 100% guaranteed drops based on breaks/cuts/capturing.

It's kind of a weird thing that MH eschews traditional exp grinding by making everything equipment based, and that fans argue it's the most skill-based ARPG out there as a result, and yet you're still essentially grinding for better stats by farming drops.

I think it depended what you used, I was a lancer and adored the water battles. There was only, what, three of them anyway, it helped with pacing for me rather than having lots of monsters that fight in a very similar way. I loved the way the battles moved in and out of water. And fishing for Gobul, having laced the lakeside with traps, was always fun.
They were very weapon dependent. It was free wins as HBG but tedious on hammer or GS. The slow movement sucked the fun out of it for me in Tri, having my HBG back in 3U made it tolerable but only because I murdered all the Plesioths in 2 minutes.
Hmmm... I use Great Sword exclusively and I thought they were a nice change of pace. I enjoyed land battles more but didn't mind the water battles at all. But I know it's common for people not to like the underwater battles. Hence, Capcom removing them from subsequent games.

Squishy3

It's kind of a weird thing that MH eschews traditional exp grinding by making everything equipment based, and that fans argue it's the most skill-based ARPG out there as a result, and yet you're still essentially grinding for better stats by farming drops.
I'll elaborate on this a bit: I've been playing back since the Freedom Unite days, and there'd be dudes who play on hacked savefiles and then upload videos of them playing the game decked out in endgame equipment and unlimited health and stamina and be fighting monsters showing how "1337" they were.

They'd proceed to get hit by every attack and take ages to kill the monsters because they didn't do the grind and are completely unable to identify tells, when it's safe to attack monsters, etc.

Sure, you can brute force it to a degree with great equipment, but that doesn't mean you're a "great" player. I guess I sound like an elitist, but it's fine if you aren't perfect at Monster Hunter. Even if you can't attack the monster as often as some of the good players, you're still contributing. The only way you'd actually be a hindrance in Monster Hunter is if you just troll and die the 3 times to fail the quests. At worst even if you aren't really doing anything in terms of damage you're still another target for the monster to latch onto so other players can attack it.

FWIW I don't mind the actual farming stuff for equipment but I absolutely loathe collecting the basic necessities stuff you need to gather for traps, bombs, etc. Fucking spiderwebs.

I'll elaborate on this a bit: I've been playing back since the Freedom Unite days, and there'd be dudes who play on hacked savefiles and then upload videos of them playing the game decked out in endgame equipment and unlimited health and stamina and be fighting monsters showing how "1337" they were.

They'd proceed to get hit by every attack and take ages to kill the monsters because they didn't do the grind and are completely unable to identify tells, when it's safe to attack monsters, etc.

Sure, you can brute force it to a degree with great equipment, but that doesn't mean you're a "great" player. I guess I sound like an elitist, but it's fine if you aren't perfect at Monster Hunter. Even if you can't attack the monster as often as some of the good players, you're still contributing. The only way you'd actually be a hindrance in Monster Hunter is if you just troll and die the 3 times to fail the quests. At worst even if you aren't really doing anything in terms of damage you're still another target for the monster to latch onto so other players can attack it.

FWIW I don't mind the actual farming stuff for equipment but I absolutely loathe collecting the basic necessities stuff you need to gather for traps, bombs, etc. Fucking spiderwebs.

I get what you're saying, but I don't know that I enjoy that type of design. I would argue this is why the Souls series is stronger from a mechanical perspective.

In Monster Hunter, you need both gear (gained from grinding) and skill (gained from experience/talent with the gameplay) to overcome the most challenging obstacles. The time limits mean that playing G-Ranks (or equivalent) with sub-optimal gear is foolish, while the lack of traditional leveling forces you to learn or die.

In Souls, you can get by with either, or a mix of both. A skilled player can beat the whole game at level 1 with minimally-upgraded gear, an unskilled one can fill the gaps in their playstyle by grinding levels or farming upgrade materials.

MH, in my opinion, is still too restrictive and doesn't allow players enough options to succeed in their own way. If Capcom truly wants big success in the West with MH, they have to make the gameplay way more free-form and eliminate a lot of the tedious elements.

Things that would help:

-No time limits on quests when playing solo.

-The ability to tailor a basic supply loadout beyond the normal guild supply items (I.E. certain villager requests that unlock permanent supplies at the start of each quest) to cut down on harvesting.

-100% drop rates for rare materials based on breaks/cuts/captures.

-Instead of the convoluted charms/decorations/etc, give your hunter a level. As you level up, you get to pick innate passives that can be equipped and swapped out on the fly. No more wasting hours of your life trying to find specific skill combos on drops, you pick and choose as you please.

Small steps in the right direction, at least.

Kinsei

Banned
I get what you're saying, but I don't know that I enjoy that type of design. I would argue this is why the Souls series is stronger from a mechanical perspective.

In Monster Hunter, you need both gear (gained from grinding) and skill (gained from experience/talent with the gameplay) to overcome the most challenging obstacles. The time limits mean that playing G-Ranks (or equivalent) with sub-optimal gear is foolish, while the lack of traditional leveling forces you to learn or die.

In Souls, you can get by with either, or a mix of both. A skilled player can beat the whole game at level 1 with minimally-upgraded gear, an unskilled one can fill the gaps in their playstyle by grinding levels or farming upgrade materials.

MH, in my opinion, is still too restrictive and doesn't allow players enough options to succeed in their own way. If Capcom truly wants big success in the West with MH, they have to make the gameplay way more free-form and eliminate a lot of the tedious elements.

Things that would help:

-The ability to tailor a basic supply loadout beyond the normal guild supply items (I.E. certain villager requests that unlock permanent supplies at the start of each quest) to cut down on harvesting.

-Instead of the convoluted charms/decorations/etc, give your hunter a level. As you level up, you get to pick innate passives that can be equipped and swapped out on the fly. No more wasting hours of your life trying to find specific skill combos on drops, you pick and choose as you please.

You don't need good gear to take on G rank. I've beaten G rank monsters in low rank gear before.

The gear is just there to make things easier.

1. Then there would be absolutely no threat of dying in single player. I got hit? Guess I'll run back to base camp.

2. That's what the farm is for. I can tell you that I've never gone out gathering after 3-4* quests.

4. Yeah sure. I'd prefer it to be from hunting "X" amount of monsters though. Say every 5 low rank Rathalos fights you get a plate. This way people still learn the fights and they can;t get incredibly unlucky. *Cough*20SteelUragaanèsforapallium*Cough*

I can agree with some of this. That being said, I do enjoy going on "naked" runs in Monster Hunter but I guess the weapon would be upgraded. No armor though. There was a Deviljho quest in one of the past games that required no armor and that was quite a rush.

Exactly

Anteo

In Monster Hunter, you need both gear (gained from grinding) and skill (gained from experience/talent with the gameplay) to overcome the most challenging obstacles. The time limits mean that playing G-Ranks (or equivalent) with sub-optimal gear is foolish, while the lack of traditional leveling f

But why?, I just upgraded my high rank gear to g rank defense and kept playing. I only stopped to grind some monsters cause I wanted their sets as a thropy and to experiment a bit.

Things that would help:

Again, why? Do you need more than 50 minutes to finish quests?

After unlocking the farm, never had a problem with supplies. If you are having problems with suplies you are taking too much damage on quests and wasting too many resources.

I guess I would like some sort of pseudo random, basically the chance goes up a bit every time I dont get the rare item, then resets when I get it.

You can just craft any gem you want provided you collect the materials, I'm fine with that.
The point of the charms is to add variety to the sets, so 2 hunters rarely have the same setup even with the same armor. The charms never make or break your hunts/sets, they are never mandatory so this isnt necesary

stn

I'm somewhat interested in this. Do you basically just fight boss battles nonstop? Do areas have smaller enemies and then an end boss? Thanks.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Some of these things you're describing sound like you essentially want a MH Game For Busy People rather than improving on the current design.

A 100% drop rate on rare parts would cut the game time from 200-300 hours down to probably 50-60. You could easily make any armor/weapons with just two or three hunts of each monster, giving you almost no incentive to fight a monster more than a few times each. This would discourage players to get good at fighting a monster and learn its patterns.

The way the drop rates are set up is actually an important core design principle for MH. MH's reward loop functions similarly to MMOs and games like PSO. People don't play PSO to run through once really quickly to see all the content in a handful of hours and be done with the game. They run the same content over and over in an effort to find rare weapon drops etc. and build their characters, all while enjoying it. While it can be sometimes frustrating, having to fight a monster more than a few times in MH makes finally getting the rare drop you needed to make the weapon/armor you want rewarding and actually meaningful.

It gives players a goal that actually takes a bit of effort to always work towards. It's understandable if it's not for you, but this gameplay loop is something most of the current MH fanbase enjoys and finds satisfying. No one wants to run through the game quickly just so they can be done and move on to the next one.

Seil

I'm somewhat interested in this. Do you basically just fight boss battles nonstop? Do areas have smaller enemies and then an end boss? Thanks.

The core of the game is fighting big monsters, yes. But you also gather materials like plants, ore etc. There are small monsters of various types that also populate the areas. Usually larger monsters actually scare off the smaller ones, with some exceptions actually having smaller versions aiding them in combat.

You'll take on quests that range from collecting some herbs to slaying giant monsters. You may be sent out to kill 15 small monsters, or to capture a large monster rather than kill it via traps and tranquilizers. Or even painstakingly collect and bring wyvern eggs back to the base.

Things aren't really set up like a dungeon, as you described, you'll be sent to a location with ~10 interconnected zones, populated with monsters and gathering nodes. If there's a large monster involved, it will travel between areas. They can run away, try to find something to eat or even go to sleep when they're near death.

You utilize materials you've gathered from the environment and from monsters to create items to help you in your hunt as well as equipment. So the general game loop is kill things, make better gear and kill stronger things lol.

Kinsei

Banned

The majority of the game is indeed boss fights. You're plopped down into an area and you then have to find the monster and then as you're fighting it you also have to track it with items like paint balls.The bosses don;t have HP guages, instead you need to figure out how weak it is by learning it's tells. You break off bits of the monster throughout the fight and then once it's finally almost dead it will limp off to it's nest to try and sleep and restore some health.

There are regular monsters, both herbivores, and carnivores, around to help flesh out the world. An example of them doing this is with a boss called Nargacuga. When the Nargacuga is low on stamina it will actually stop fighting you and run off in search of food.

not every quest is about slaying huge beasties though. There are quests to kill the smaller monsters,mine for ore, fish, gather plants, and so on (Although most of these are totally optional.). These quests are important as they give you the items necessary to create tools that help you on your hunt. You wouldn't want to go into battle without potions, would you? Of course not, so go out and gather some herbs and blue mushrooms and then make some! Regular potions just not doing it for you? Go find a beehive to gather honey from and combine that with your potions to make mega potions!

Anteo

No, its more like if you got send to a forest to kill a Monster, you have to walk through the forest's different areas looking for the thing you have to kill. The thing can also move between areas midfight and specific monsters will roam certain areas, for example a if your target is a Dragon it might be around the north of the forest on the hgihests points of the map, while some other monsters may never go there even midfight fleeing from you. There will be smaller enemies around that you can kill for loot but they are not important and can be ignored unless you are looking for specific materials

Some of these things you're describing sound like you essentially want a MH Game For Busy People rather than improving on the current design.

A 100% drop rate on rare parts would cut the game time from 200-300 hours down to probably 50-60. You could easily make any armor/weapons with just two or three hunts of each monster, giving you almost no incentive to fight a monster more than a few times each. This would discourage players to get good at fighting a monster and learn its patterns.

The way the drop rates are set up is actually an important core design principle for MH. MH's reward loop functions similarly to MMOs and games like PSO. People don't play PSO to run through once really quickly to see all the content in a handful of hours and be done with the game. They run the same content over and over in an effort to find rare weapon drops etc. and build their characters, all while enjoying it. While it can be sometimes frustrating, having to fight a monster more than a few times in MH makes finally getting the rare drop you needed to make the weapon/armor you want rewarding and actually meaningful.

It gives players a goal that actually takes a bit of effort to always work towards. It's understandable if it's not for you, but this gameplay loop is something most of the current MH fanbase enjoys and finds satisfying. No one wants to run through the game quickly just so they can be done and move on to the next one.

You can't really make the comparison to MMOs in a game with no PvP. The entire thrill of getting better gear in an MMO is the knowledge that you'll have an advantage in fights with players that didn't have the time to grind for it. In a pure PvE game, it's mostly for showing off and artificially lengthening the game time.

If hardcore MH fans are so adamant that the game is skill-based gameplay, then having to grind for hours to get better gear is totally against that philosophy. It's almost exactly the same as traditional RPG leveling, you're still grinding to get your numbers higher.

This loop has persisted for so long because the series is designed for short play sessions on portables. It's perfect for playing on commutes. Fighting a monster for the 20th time is way less of a pain when the alternative is having to pay attention to your awful subway ride to work.

Thing is, the future of portables is very uncertain right now, and it's looking more and more like the series is going to have to make a serious transition to consoles in some form. This loop simply doesn't work when you're playing for 2-4 hours at a time, as most Western console/PC gamers do, instead of 20-40 minute chunks on a 3DS.

Monster Hunter Generations is an amazing greatest hits, but I also think its a sendoff for the traditional series. I have faith that Capcom can change the formula without ruining what makes the game great, and it's undeniable that they could learn a lot from the Souls series and their own Dragon's Dogma, games with far less grinding that people still play for hundreds of hours.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
You can't really make the comparison to MMOs in a game with no PvP. The entire thrill of getting better gear in an MMO is the knowledge that you'll have an advantage in fights with players that didn't have the time to grind for it. In a pure PvE game, it's mostly for showing off and artificially lengthening the game time.
You are making a very poor generalization if you think people that play loot based games only get excited for rare drops so that they can have an advantage in PVP. Many never touch it at all.

If hardcore MH fans are so adamant that the game is skill-based gameplay, then having to grind for hours to get better gear is totally against that philosophy. It's almost exactly the same as traditional RPG leveling, you're still grinding to get your numbers higher.
You act as if skill-based gameplay and gear based progression are mutually exclusive. They're not.

This loop simply doesn't work when you're playing for 2-4 hours at a time, as most Western console/PC gamers do, instead of 20-40 minute chunks on a 3DS.
Speak for yourself, I and many others in previous MH OTs have played hours at a time, sometimes spending entire evenings hunting in groups.

Monster Hunter Generations is an amazing greatest hits, but I also think its a sendoff for the traditional series. I have faith that Capcom can change the formula without ruining what makes the game great, and it's undeniable that they could learn a lot from the Souls series and their own Dragon's Dogma, games with far less grinding that people still play for hundreds of hours.
Sounds like at this point you're just asking for them to make a game catered to a specific audience that you identify with, rather than a Monster Hunter game.

EDIT - nvm, you were the one that made this thread. I'm wasting my time here.

Toxi

Banned

This loop has persisted for so long because the series is designed for short play sessions on portables. It's perfect for playing on commutes. Fighting a monster for the 20th time is way less of a pain when the alternative is having to pay attention to your awful subway ride to work.
The "grind" in Monster Hunter is killing monsters, exactly what the vast majority of people are playing the game for. I don't get why this is so hard to understand. Killing 50 Teostras for Lrg Elder Dragon Gems may be repetitive, but it works because killing Teostra is fun. Every time I fight the monster, I get better at avoiding its attacks and finding opportunities to deal damage. Every time I'm challenging myself as much as I'm challenging the monster. After farming a certain monster for days, I can see actual improvement.

The things I'm farming for? They are gonna help me kill monsters like Teostra faster so I can do more "grinding". And that's the fun of Monster Hunter.

ohlawd

can't believe people still think portables are for occasions where you can only play for a little bit of time cuz that's how long the commute or my breaks are.

what dumb shit is that anyway. what happened to playing portables for hours on end at home or something. I do it all the time

Part of my end gamd addiction to MH is the adventure of planning and making an entire armor set with specific skills, gems, and weapon type for each specific monster.

It's all about that prep time.

can't believe people still think portables are for occasions where you can only play for a little bit of time cuz that's how long the commute or my breaks are.

what dumb shit is that anyway. what happened to playing portables for hours on end at home or something. I do it all the time
It's inconvenient

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The "grind" in Monster Hunter is killing monsters, exactly what the vast majority of people are playing the game for. I don't get why this is so hard to understand. Killing 50 Teostras for Lrg Elder Dragon Gems may be repetitive, but it works because killing Teostra is fun. Every time I fight the monster, I get better at avoiding its attacks and finding opportunities to deal damage. Every time I'm challenging myself as much as I'm challenging the monster. After farming a certain monster for days, I can see actual improvement.

The things I'm farming for? They are gonna help me kill monsters like Teostra faster so I can do more "grinding". And that's the fun of Monster Hunter.
Yeah this is the critical part, the part that got me into MH when I really don't care about "loot games" in the slightest. The core combat is just so damn fun and rewarding that doing fights over and over doesn't stop being enjoyable

Thing is, the future of portables is very uncertain right now, and it's looking more and more like the series is going to have to make a serious transition to consoles in some form. This loop simply doesn't work when you're playing for 2-4 hours at a time, as most Western console/PC gamers do, instead of 20-40 minute chunks on a 3DS.

Okay seriously don't shit up anymore MH threads with your Dragon Dogma's/MH on Home systems nonsense. You have your own thread for that.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Things that would help:

Harvesting is already out.
No Time limits would encourage low-skill players into overly-safe playstyles which aren't any fun.

For the rest.. that'd ruin MH for me, at least partially.
Monster Hunter often put next to Dark Souls, but past being ARPGs and being hard, they're radically different games.
Decking out gear is awesome, and far better than the "swap perks at no cost" design. It gives everything meaning and a reason to go back to.

Dark Souls is about mastery of the environment.
Monster Hunter is about mastery of the monsters.
Much like Souls will have you run again the 'trash run' to try again a boss, until you beat it, Monster Hunter will have you do again the boss run, until you can farm it properly.
Monster Hunter isn't about first kills. First kills are messy, and not that satisfying.
Monster Hunter is about going against a monster knowing this is going to happen:
tumblr_n08nhqZfq71tqxxzeo1_500.gif

And that's exactly where you can proceed to the next monster.
Obviously you're not going to farm all of them until mastery, just the ones you like.

.. That said, 3% drops could sure use some pseudo-randoming. MH4U was a bit better about rare drops chances.

redcrayon

Is someone putting together an OT? Would be great to have some links to some tutorial videos for he new hunting styles in there.

PokéKong

Is someone putting together an OT? Would be great to have some links to some tutorial videos for he new hunting styles in there.

Gaijin Hunter's videos are overall the best and go into great detail on how to get the most out of each weapon type, with stuff like optimal combos and showing motion value numbers. But I also recommend Arekkz Gaming's channel if you want some more easily consumable videos that are brief and to the point, have nice snazzy production value, and simply tell you all the basics to generally understand each weapon.

Jimrpg

Hi, this is off topic - Ive been considering getting into Monster Hunter and want to buy MH4U and getting two copies.

Would a US MH4U work with a EU MH4U?

EDIT: ok I googled this and seems it works. Carry on gents!

Top Bottom