• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews: Monster Hunter Generations

VandalD

So I am debating picking this up for my New 3DS but I also bought MH 4 when the N 3ds launched and only could make it a few hours in. Here are the issues I had. It was my first MH game i've ever played:

- The controls - I just couldn't wrap my head around them. Their were so many weapon types and each one seemed to have it's own control scheme. I could never get the hang of locking onto enemies, moving effectively, etc.

- The world "zones" and map - The map made no sense at all to me. I would go into a loading zone (transitioning from one part of an area to another) and it would look nothing like what I appeared to be walking towards. The maps were equally confusing. I wasted so much time trying to identify how the hell to get to wherever I was trying to get to. I play many open world games as it is my favorite type and I've never struggled with a game map before.

- The graphics were also a touch on the grainy side which got kind of annoying but was not that big of a deal.

Does this new one improve on those things or do you think i'm better waiting for a console version? Or getting MH 3 U for Wii U?
So I can't speak to how Generations compares for newbies, but:

You'll absolutely want to focus on a single weapon if you're new to MH. Run the tutorial for the weapons that look interesting, then just swing them around and see how they feel. If you like how a weapon feels in general with the attacks and how quickly you move around unsheathed, then try to learn it in more depth.

Did you have the map up on your upper or lower screen? Yeah, the areas can be pretty disjointed, but there are lines indicating where the paths out of each zone go to. Make sure you grab the Map item from the supply box at the beginning of every hunt if you weren't already.

Give the Generations demo a shot, try out the weapon tutorials. If you can break the barrier to entry, you've got a hell of a game to play.

I played MH4U and loved it.... right up until I found out that in order to progress past my current set of armor (giving me bonuses I worked hard to craft) I'd have to kill the same massive monster 10-20 times hoping for several drops in order to craft new armor. Did they cut down on that grind at all?

The drop rates are kinda a thing in MonHun and I doubt that will ever change. I know it can get tiring to kill the same monster repeatedly. In my case, I see every fight as an opportinuty to master the monster. I try different weapons, sets, etc to take them down. I try to do it faster every time, and in the end, every fight ends up being fun.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah! Gonna pick this one up for sure. Love me some MonHun (even if I currently only have a dinky 2DS, I'll make it work, for playable felynes I'll make it fucking work).

Mupod

Right, I'm just not finding a single video from him explaining what each style does

the thing is, he has to do it per weapon. Some of the differences are subtle, especially between Guild and Striker. With Aerial, the tradeoff is usually 1 or 2 moves that are specific to that weapon in exchange for the jump attack, and the jump attack itself differs too. Adept even more so as the followup to the perfect dodge is different for every weapon.

Raven77

Thanks for the replies addressing my concerns. I'll give the demo a shot and hopefully I can "get" it better and play through the game. Sounds really fun.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What time does the digital download usually go up? I'm flying at 6am on Friday to hang out with people who I play MH with, and I probably won't have time to swing by a store

Nottle

In 4U I went primarily with the long sword.

This game I'd like to branch out to some other weapons. Any recommendations?

Edag88

Banned
So I like the MonHun concept, but the combat gameplay was so not my style. Is it flashier and faster, a little more action game style? Could get me to give the series another shot.

Ridley327

So I like the MonHun concept, but the combat gameplay was so not my style. Is it flashier and faster, a little more action game style? Could get me to give the series another shot.

It's still pretty much the same kind of gameplay, but with a bit more customization available. I don't think any of the options they give you here is going to change your mind much, but there is a demo out there where you can decide for yourself.

Mupod

Try em all in the training, go with the one you like. SA might be similar playstyle wise but you might mesh better with a wildly different weapon now that you know more about the game. Once you know how to fight a monster type with one weapon it's actually not that hard to learn with a different one.

In my case I spent 50 hours in MHF2 as a Longsword user, but when I picked up a hammer that was basically when Monster Hunter started for me.

it's more along the lines of moveset tweaks per style and some added 'supers'. They didn't turn MH into DMC or Ninja Gaiden.

Pejo

Give a try to Adept Hammer. It's still a fairly straightforward weapon, and the dodge can be used to power up your charge move (instead of that directional run that most weapons have). It's super satisfying to land that headshot that KO's a monster.

Samemind

Can't argue with you, until I get the game I have no idea what I'm talking about :p

Yeah, even if you want to ignore the attack arts, it makes little sense to not at least use the healing fountain. It's a renewable source of health recovery, so all you're really cheating on is the depletion of your potion stock.

Bought MH3 Ultimate, tried and couldn't get into it.
Bought MH4, tried and still coudn't get into ti.

Do I dare take another plunge? =\

I bought MH4U not long after release and bounced off it hard. Eventually I tried again like a year later and ended up pouring over a hundred hours into it.

It's dense with systems and mechanics, so it's kind of overwhelming to try to take it all in. It does take some effort to push your way through it, but it's worth it if you can keep at it. It also doesn't help that the first few monsters it sends you against are kind of annoying to fight.

If you want to give it another go, my advice would be to not try to absorb it all at once. Try a few weapons, find one you can tolerate, and try to just work your way through to the second area. Once you start fighting the bigger monsters, it starts showing you what the game can actually be.

Ogodei

One of those GIFs in the OP reminds me that Agnaktor always looks like it's sneezing when it's trying to fire its laser.

I typically only play Greatsword...

That being said Adept Bow and Aerial Dual Blades might be some of the most fun I've had in a MH game. Prowlers kind of fun, too.

Listonosh

Adept bow is so much FUN.

Is this viable for playing solo? I tried all the ranged weapons but man I just cannot get the hang of them. I feel like I need another player bashing the monster while I keep my distance to shoot.

What exactly makes the Bow and Adept combo so good? I really want to learn the ranged weapons, I just don't "get" them

Hype hype hype!

l0E1vgT.jpg

Kansoku

Is this viable for playing solo? I tried all the ranged weapons but man I just cannot get the hang of them. I feel like I need another player bashing the monster while I keep my distance to shoot.

What exactly makes the Bow and Adept combo so good? I really want to learn the ranged weapons, I just don't "get" them

I think so. I've soloed Narga in the demo with Adept Bow a couple of times, and I played a little with the bow on MH4U. It's the most blademaster friendly gunner weapon, as you don't need to worry about ammo, only coatings.

Adept bow is great because after doing the evade you can instantaneously get max charge and IIRC without spending stamina. It's very easy to dodge, get into position and fire.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

My friend plays Bow exclusively and he's scary good at it. Some people just click with the ranged weapons in Mon Hun. I could NEVER figure them out.

Kensuke

Reviewer here. For those wondering about the grind to make armor sets and weapons, they've slightly tweaked the process. You will no longer need to have any plates or rubies (materials with sub 10% drop rate) to actually craft the set. Instead the rare stuff has been moved to the upgrade path, so if you fully want to upgrade the armor or weapon you'll eventually need that ruby or plate. In essence the grind is the same, but I like that it's not as front-loaded anymore.

Kind of a bummer, but I think there are already people with modified saves out there. My friend saw a guy with charm that had attack +9 and tenderizer +10 and some slots. Charms only being max level 7 that combination is totally impossible. Oh well, at least they're always easy to spot.

KdylanR92

https://discordapp.com/invite/0friOU65jpQxcueC
Join us! Download discord on your PC, Tablet, or Smart phone. You can gather a group for MHO, MH3U, 4U, Gen, etc. There are chat channels and voice channels. Voice channels are like party chat. It's pretty sweet my friends and I just jump in a channel and voice chat as we hunt. There's so many people willing to help, it's a good community. Check it out.

People that regularly play MH3U that I can talk to!? Thank you

Reviewer here. For those wondering about the grind to make armor sets and weapons, they've slightly tweaked the process. You will no longer need to have any plates or rubies (materials with sub 10% drop rate) to actually craft the set. Instead the rare stuff has been moved to the upgrade path, so if you fully want to upgrade the armor or weapon you'll eventually need that ruby or plate. In essence the grind is the same, but I like that it's not as front-loaded anymore.
When I heard there were some overhauls in the armor crafting, this is something I was wondering about. Not quite what I was hoping for, but I guess it's an improvement.

Personally, I'd rather fight a monster ten times for ten guaranteed drops than who knows how many times for a 10% drop. But the random-ass nature of Monster Hunter is probably a little too ingrained to expect them to change it at this point.

Kind of a bummer, but I think there are already people with modified saves out there. My friend saw a guy with charm that had attack +9 and tenderizer +10 and some slots. Charms only being max level 7 that combination is totally impossible. Oh well, at least they're always easy to spot.

I read that charms that are illegal / couldn't be generated by the game are turned into dummy items.

When I heard there were some overhauls in the armor crafting, this is something I was wondering about. Not quite what I was hoping for, but I guess it's an improvement.

Personally, I'd rather fight a monster ten times for ten guaranteed drops than who knows how many times for a 10% drop. But the random-ass nature of Monster Hunter is probably a little too ingrained to expect them to change it at this point.

There are straight up t-shirts that reference the Desire Sensor. They likely consider it part of the fundamental game now.

redcrayon

Water battles were fine. Don't know why they get such a bad rap.
I think it depended what you used, I was a lancer and adored the water battles. There was only, what, three of them anyway, it helped with pacing for me rather than having lots of monsters that fight in a very similar way. I loved the way the battles moved in and out of water. And fishing for Gobul, having laced the lakeside with traps, was always fun.

I played several hundred hours of solo MH on PSP before I ever played online in Tri.

There is solo-only content balanced for one person, and 'online' content where the monsters have more hp and are harder to stagger. You can beat everything in the game including the online stuff solo and offline, but other people make it easier.

I personally like both. Soloing feels like a very intense 1 on 1 experience, where it really is almost like Punch Out. I know some people that HATE soloing and only play online, but I wouldn't say the game is co-op only at all. I spend as much time solo as I do with others if not more, it's a different experience.

That said - you don't need to go alone, you're on GAF. Despite an ignorant drive by comment in this thread, GAF's MH community is amazing. There will always be someone willing to help and you don't need to worry about elitism or cliqueyness. People here are happy to guide new players, hell the last two MH game releases I just sat in the OT all day and did only that.

Thanks for all the replies. This one in particular resonated with me. The games have always seem fun and this post will push me over the edge into a purchase. Thanks again.

georly

I know they were in the japanese version, but has NOA/Capcom confirmed the Link/Samus/etc DLC from MH4U would be returning to MHG? I assume they will be, no? It actually will influence which weapons I main, tbh.

Listonosh

I think so. I've soloed Narga in the demo with Adept Bow a couple of times, and I played a little with the bow on MH4U. It's the most blademaster friendly gunner weapon, as you don't need to worry about ammo, only coatings.

Adept bow is great because after doing the evade you can instantaneously get max charge and IIRC without spending stamina. It's very easy to dodge, get into position and fire.

Damn, I might have to play around with it then. I REALLY want to understand at least one ranged weapon, but...

My friend plays Bow exclusively and he's scary good at it. Some people just click with the ranged weapons in Mon Hun. I could NEVER figure them out.

...this might actually just be my case ^

Top Bottom