• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews: Monster Hunter Generations

Mupod

Even though or perhaps because I 'main' HBG (usually godlike in every MH game) I don't care at all about nerfs or tiers really. Youtube felyne heroics speedruns don't apply to a realistic gameplay situation I'll be in anyways.

Even the HBG isn't always the best choice, there's always a few monsters that I can fight faster/more easily with other weapons. There's absolutely situations, especially online, where you might want a hunting horn or LBG or SnS. But in general if you think someone using a specific weapon in a room needs to be booted, I sure as fuck don't want to play with you ever.

Playing what you're good with and have fun using is what's important. MH simply doesn't hold up difficulty or fun-wise if you go full tryhard on it - watch any video of organized 4 player bombing speedruns. The game is completely broken if you go that route.

Charge blade's ultimate move thing got nerfed in area, you can't combo into it from a shield trust and energy stored in the shield was nerfed too. However guard points are now visible, making it easier to master them, regular guards detonates like a guard point when you have energy into your shield and the shield trust was buffed when you have energy in your shield I think.

I'm still trying to understand what happened in this GIF:

84c64348ecc397653269b53a17b35238.gif

They're all using the style that has Absolute Evasion, so they all dodged through the attack.

I'm hoping that if adept style makes a return to MH5 that they reduce the window to something closer to adept insta block. Currently it's way to easy and pretty much a crutch imo. Adept heavybowgun is a big joke atm lol.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
you know, i always thought i wanted a story from a MoHun game.... then I played 4 and realized maybe it wasnt a good idea.

less is more sometimes, folks

To be fair, the review may have gone into more detail on that vague conclusive statement (lacking a soul).

It's mostly an overused ploy from review outlets to often describe personal faults in the product when its clear tangible verbage is beyond their ability to communicate what they are. (It's a fine game but it's missing something...I can't explain it so let's just say...a soul! Yea, that's obtuse enough but the audience will all have their own conclusions on the meaning so let them fill in the gap where I am unable!)

So I presume that contextually the gameplay loop wasn't enough on its own to maintain engagement for this French review(that I am unable to read translated), and the lack of 'soul' is just a lazy summation for that missing something. (Usually involving more direct narration in many cases...but again maybe it is explained well enough beyond my guesswork). I just hate when critics fall back on that closing point.

Bushido is my favourite style :D
I feel like I'm cheating with it, at least from the demo.

I'm going with HBG for Generations and was expecting to learn how to deal with it's immobility. However not only does it save me from tight spots I otherwise would not have been able to escape from, but I naturally start to abuse it as well.

I find myself constantly going into Siege mode because no matter what I can invincible-dodge out of it. In the past the Evasion skill felt like you really had to get your timing down, but Adept styles window seems so large and forgiving.

It's fun but it's making HBG a lot easier than I imagined.

To be fair, the review may have gone into more detail on that vague conclusive statement (lacking a soul).

It's mostly an overused ploy from review outlets to often describe personal faults in the product when its clear tangible verbage is beyond their ability to communicate what they are. (It's a fine game but it's missing something...I can't explain it so let's just say...a soul! Yea, that's obtuse enough but the audience will all have their own conclusions on the meaning so let them fill in the gap where I am unable!)

So I presume that contextually the gameplay loop wasn't enough on its own to maintain engagement for this French review(that I am unable to read translated), and the lack of 'soul' is just a lazy summation for that missing something. (Usually involving more direct narration in many cases...but again maybe it is explained well enough beyond my guesswork). I just hate when critics fall back on that closing point.

Understood

Still... I'm still wondering if I should just wait and go back to finish 4's campaign instead....

Listonosh

I see a bunch of people asking whether this is a good game to jump into if they've never played a MonHun game before, and as someone who has had access to the early review copy thanks to a buddy (who's review is up, if anyone is still adding links to the OP) I can wholeheartedly recommend this for beginners.

For starters, I'd say the inclusion of the Styles makes the game more accessible, especially if you choose the Striker or Aerial style. Both make taking down monsters much easier. The Hunter Arts also help since they can do some devastating damage, help buff you, etc.

There's also the Palico mode which many might gloss over, but it is a totally viable mode for beginners. It eliminates the need to prepare for a hunt in many ways since you don't bring any items with you, they have infinite stamina, big monsters are always shown on your map, have healing skills that are infinite (depending on their skill loadout), have a lot more lives in case you die a lot, have infinite uses of pickaxes and bugnets, and they do some solid damage. They're a legit good way to play the game to get acquainted with how the game works when actually hunting, and you can slowly ease your way into playing as a Hunter that way.

But even so, playing the Single Player campaign always offers you the necessary items to get by in the starting zone chest, such as a map, some healing items, stamina items, and even a hot or cold drink if you happen to be in an area that requires them (though this has been a staple of past games as well). As you get used to this gameplay loop, you'll start to bring your own and rely less, or stop relying completely on those items and create your own loadouts.

It's true that MH4U also had a lot of these features as well, but the hunting styles and Palicos make this game a lot more new player friendly. But both are solid options, especially if MH4U is cheaper.

Alric

you know the nerf was necessary.

And I would say adept style charge blade is still OP as fuck. And I'll go with that.

Yeah I went in worried that maybe i'd main a different weapon this time around but after playing around with the Adept style, I see no reason to. I actually like the changes the Adept style brings and the followup counter-attack moves after a perfect block.

Monster Hunter series >>>>>>>>>> Uncharted 2 + Witcher 3 + Last of Us + Bloodborne + Rocket League combined.

Fact.
Well, shit. I love all those games, but apparently I was playing inferior shit all this time? Guess I'm buying this then.

I'm ready to buy this but I already have MH4U with a decent amount of time in it. I play 95% of the time solo and have heard that this might have even more solo content than any other MH. I told myself a few months back that I wouldn't jump into a new MH unless they make some massive changes out a personal philosophy of not liking to support small iterations in sequels. MH has remained largely unchanged for it's entire history, and this sequel looks to be more of the same.

Yet, I still can't help but feel the pull towards getting it and having that great time of riding up the ladder of items and quests.

MH is so weird because every time I play a new one I feel like "they nailed it! This has everything I need!" And then the next one comes out and the cycle begins anew. I will say though that not having G-rank in this version turns me off, since that was always a goal for me that I never reached but always aspired towards.

I can't be the only one feeling this split of emotions, can I? Should I jump in with this one or pick back up MH4U and continue where I left off there?

Simbabbad

Understood

Still... I'm still wondering if I should just wait and go back to finish 4's campaign instead....
I loved Tri Ultimate on Wii U and MH4U is amazing, but I hated Generation's demo. It's hard to nail down, but everything feels a little wrong. So I'm just going to pass until the inevitable episode on NX.

As for the French review, the "lacking a soul" thing is at the very end of the review, and there are tons of relevant points raised before it. It's not so much an "I'm unable to explain" thing as a "let's sum up everything explained so far with a short formula" thing, so it's silly to attack it. Besides, it's a web site specialized in Monster Hunter, they're not amateurs.

massoluk

Banned
Bought MH3 Ultimate, tried and couldn't get into it.
Bought MH4, tried and still coudn't get into ti.

Do I dare take another plunge? =\

Fandangox

I'm hoping that if adept style makes a return to MH5 that they reduce the window to something closer to adept insta block. Currently it's way to easy and pretty much a crutch imo. Adept heavybowgun is a big joke atm lol.

I tried Adept Gunlance on my way to work and yeah it seems the window for perfect guard is a bit smaller, although the ability to reload all your pellets at once and do a slam burst allows for quick damage if you keep getting it right.

Kyoufu

I'm going with HBG for Generations and was expecting to learn how to deal with it's immobility. However not only does it save me from tight spots I otherwise would not have been able to escape from, but I naturally start to abuse it as well.

I find myself constantly going into Siege mode because no matter what I can invincible-dodge out of it. In the past the Evasion skill felt like you really had to get your timing down, but Adept styles window seems so large and forgiving.

It's very powerful, yeah. You can even use friendly fire to evade off if you need that mobility.

Bushido Long Sword is so, so fun.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Wait what how? I loved the CB (my 2nd favorite right after the Switch-Axe). Did they remove a lot of the guard points? That was the only thing that really felt busted.

GPs are actually buffed (Longer window, more recharge), but you can't Burst off them anymore, and you can't Burst off the shield thrust either.

Bought MH3 Ultimate, tried and couldn't get into it.
Bought MH4, tried and still coudn't get into ti.

Do I dare take another plunge? =\

It took me a few games for the loop to make sense for me and trigger what causes these games to be so damn addicting. I played one of the PSP ones for a bit, then the Wii one for a little bit more, but it wasn't until the MH4U that I put it together and was able to feel like I was playing the game for real. I think these games deal a lot on incremental knowledge that you pick up on each time which makes the next iteration easier to get into.

That being said, if you get into a mindset "I'm going to learn this thing" and actually grind through EVERY quest you can you WILL get it. It also takes time to play around with the weapons enough to find one that you actually like. For me, I went with the Hammer because it felt powerful and the damage dealt to the monsters was actually noticeably more than other weapons I had previously tried. Taking them down faster to me ended up being the fun.

The long sword is a lot of fun too (but make sure you actually make use of its in-combat leveling up mechanic).

Listonosh

IMH is so weird because every time I play a new one I feel like "they nailed it! This has everything I need!" And then the next one comes out and the cycle begins anew. I will say though that not having G-rank in this version turns me off, since that was always a goal for me that I never reached but always aspired towards

I think this is kind of bad school of thought, because the Deviant monsters offer the same type of challenge and crazy good rewards. It's basically G Rank quests by another name. If it's a lack of content you're worried about also, don't be.

deim0s

Yeah.

You still have to be careful tho. Even after an evade, the monster might just do something else while you're recovering/countering.

Owensboro

I played MH4U and loved it.... right up until I found out that in order to progress past my current set of armor (giving me bonuses I worked hard to craft) I'd have to kill the same massive monster 10-20 times hoping for several drops in order to craft new armor. Did they cut down on that grind at all?

I mean, I still burned like 90 hours playing MH4U, but I was so disappointed when I hit that wall and just thought "I really want to get a new set of armor and keep playing, but I really really don't want to kill that same monster 10 more times for the *chance* of getting what I need".

Damn it, I just want to pop in and have fun with my Hunting Horn and kill progressively harder monsters!

I played MH4U and loved it.... right up until I found out that in order to progress past my current set of armor (giving me bonuses I worked hard to craft) I'd have to kill the same massive monster 10-20 times hoping for several drops in order to craft new armor. Did they cut down on that grind at all?

I mean, I still burned like 90 hours playing MH4U, but I was so disappointed when I hit that wall and just thought "I really want to get a new set of armor and keep playing, but I really really don't want to kill that same monster 10 more times for the *chance* of getting what I need".

Damn it, I just want to pop in and have fun with my Hunting Horn and kill progressively harder monsters!

Yes, to a degree. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the armor sets don't require 100% super specific monster parts anymore. There are more "general" category crafting materials now.

So, yes, I believe there's less reliance on super rare, specific monster parts -- until the endgame then it's a grind again.

Eusis

Well, shit. I love all those games, but apparently I was playing inferior shit all this time? Guess I'm buying this then.
No, he's just a rabid fanboy.

I'd put Bloodborne ahead of the rest and Witcher 3 as equaling. Do you want story focused monster hunting, or hardcore MP monster hunting?

Kyoufu

The Deviant armour and weapons require a huge grind at endgame. I'm talking at least 30 kills to fully upgrade just an armour set.

No, he's just a rabid fanboy.

I'd put Bloodborne ahead of the rest and Witcher 3 as equaling. Do you want story focused monster hunting, or hardcore MP monster hunting?

Uh, I don't agree with the post you're referencing, but to differentiate the act of monster hunting in Witcher 3 and the MH series with just "story focus vs multiplayer focus" is totally misguided.

The Witcher 3 is an amazing game but its combat doesn't hold a candle to Monster Hunter's.

Eusis

Uh, I don't agree with the post you're referencing, but to differentiate the act of monster hunting in Witcher 3 and the MH series with just "story focus vs multiplayer focus" is totally misguided.

The Witcher 3 is an amazing game but its combat doesn't hold a candle to Monster Hunter's.
Yeah, it was a gross oversimplification (and there's more to Witcher 3 than monster hunting anyway.) MH is definitely more hardcore with the Monster Hunting though.

Each iteration of the series manages to do just enough with its new lick of paint to keep me coming back for more - gilding that wonderful lily of the central gameplay loop with near-perfect filigree.

From that Eurogamer review, I learned a new word today: filigree.

Also, I loved MH4U and could see myself enjoying this as well, but I want me a console version of MH I think it's overdue!

RedFury

Right, I'm just not finding a single video from him explaining what each style does
Every one of his weapon tutorials has a break down of what changes are made in each specialization. Find his videos more informative than Arekkz. Also off topic if I don't except your overwatch invite I promise I'm not ignoring you, my 7 yr old is playing. I doubt you want him on your team lol. I get invites to my phone and I immediately know he must be playing. I've been playing a lot of MH4U lately just got a new3ds (normal not XL).

Top Bottom