• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews: Monster Hunter Generations

Eusis

I forgot Nintendo releases games on Friday, for the past 2 weeks I thought it came out today =/
It's not Nintendo, but they probably consider this a tentpole 3rd party release to coordinate with Capcom and pull this with anyway. 7th Dragon this isn't.

Meesh

My man. Four copies here. The family that slays together stays together.
*fist bump explosion*

Absolutely. Of course we all go online too from time to time, but that local co-op is great with this series. I'm telling ya, I spent over 600 hrs on TriU, and easily 200 on X (we import MH too.) we'll break some mad time records on generations no doubt... This weekend is gonna be a crazy MH waster lol.

Kinsei

Banned
So what replaces G rank this go around? Super hyped and want to be informed for once, was totally in the dark for 4U

Level 10 deviant monsters (Dreadqueen Rathian, Crystalbeard Uragaan, etc). They're basically super subspecies.

So what replaces G rank this go around? Super hyped and want to be informed for once, was totally in the dark for 4U

There's no G Rank but the Hyper Monsters and Deviant Monsters/Ticket System kinda act as the more harder parts of the game ala G rank

So I only played 15 hours of MH3U but got hooked with online in MH4U and put in 123 Hours so far. I got to GRank 1 and could've spent so much more time on MH4U but I just bought MHG from amazon along with Kirby Robobot for free shipping/it was on sale since I only had $76. There possibly goes my NX money but NX is still a mystery and this is now damnit.

I do think I'll still play MH4U. Plus since it doesn't have online I still have a unique single player MH3U at some point...

I hope theres lots of new monsters as someone who has basically only played MH4U. The bouncy snake in the demo was so cool.

Please don't let Splatoon 2 be a NX launch title. I'd be pissed at missing out lol.

See you all online. I'll be playing as character name "Yume" if you see me. Tho my order says arriving between the 21st-23rd so it'll be a bit.

Into the backlog you go Kirby! But I loved Triple Deluxe and would want to play this for the GOTY list so not for long!

sephi22

I impulse bought a 3DS for Pokemon and MonHun, and this is going to be my first one.
The last time I had gaming handhelds they were during the dark ages (PSP and DS). IIRC MonHun on PSP didn't work too well with wi-fi unless you used that AdHoc Party app and the DS Wifi never worked for me.

I'm hoping I can play this MonHun without any issues on my home Wifi on the new 3DS XL, and that I can find enough gaffers to play with. I have no idea what to do in these games and it'd be great if I could find some GAF first timers to mess around with.

Ocho

you know, i always thought i wanted a story from a MoHun game.... then I played 4 and realized maybe it wasnt a good idea.

less is more sometimes, folks

I loved the story and cinematics. /shrug

I'm fine with no story in Generations. Hope they do something even better for 5.

Shiggy

It's not Nintendo, but they probably consider this a tentpole 3rd party release to coordinate with Capcom and pull this with anyway. 7th Dragon this isn't.

He's not completely wrong. The game is distributed by NoE. And those titles typically follow NoE's release timing. Minecraft Wii U is the same case.

wbacon

Capcom USA
I really wished that this was available for pre-load on the 3DS, but I'll cope.

Just seeing videos of Glavenus in action is enough to get me pumped up.

We really wanted to offer pre-order and pre-loading but had to forego that route due to logistical reasons on the backend.

Either way, the download should be fairly quick if you have a half way decent internet connection.

On a somewhat positive note, you'll have slightly faster in-game load times on the digital download version provided you have a good SD/SDXC card. (as was the case with MH4U)

As a total noob, this will be my first MH game that I plan on investing some serious playtime (missed the boat on MH4U). So much so that I ordered one of them Cyber Gadget snap-on controller grips a couple of days ago in anticipation of long weekend play sessions -- but without getting carpal tunneled. ;-)

heringer

The game looks the same on either console unlike 4U where there was some minor boosts. N3DS version has less pop in and slighty better load times. Game runs at 30FPS with dips on BOTH consoles

IG8rc0S.png

Glad to see they improved the god awful textures of MH4. That is the one reason I always thought 3 looked better (though I'm aware I'm the minority).

Glad to see they improved the god awful textures of MH4. That is the one reason I always thought 3 looked better (though I'm aware I'm the minority).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but the ground texture in generations looks much worse in that pic. Look at how tiled it is. No details whatsoever.

Mugenjin

I really dislike the lower FOV compared to MH4U. It was quite noticeable for the first couple of hours but I guess we'll just have to deal with it.

heringer

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but the ground texture in generations looks much worse in that pic. Look at how tiled it is. No details whatsoever.

Hmm, I was only looking at the ground directly below the character. In the distance the textures do look worse.

I'd still take that tradeoff because the N64 textures close to the player are really, really jarring to me.

Mupod

I have 48h to beat Strange Journey and three Fire Emblem games.

I hope I don't end up dropping Zero Time Dilemma for years. I only just finished Virtue's Last Reward a few days ago and getting back into that was tough. Tokyo Mirage Sessions, yeah that has no chance of being finished before the weekend.

I plan to take my time with MHX so maybe it can coexist with those.

I've been interested in the Monster Hunter games for a very long time but never played one. My understanding is that while in CAN be solo'd, it is essentially made for co-op. Is that correct?

I don't have many gaming friends, and certainly none who would be interested in playing something so far away from Halo or COD. I would love to play a Monster Hunter but would be soloing the whole thing. Would it be an enjoyable experience solo?

I've been interested in the Monster Hunter games for a very long time but never played one. My understanding is that while in CAN be solo'd, it is essentially made for co-op. Is that correct?

I don't have many gaming friends, and certainly none who would be interested in playing something so far away from Halo or COD. I would love to play a Monster Hunter but would be soloing the whole thing. Would it be an enjoyable experience solo?

There's a whole 100hours solo content in the game. You can also solo the multiplayer side but it's harder obviously.

Tarps

Would it be an enjoyable experience solo?

Totally, yes. This game supposedly has more single player content than earlier games. You can still solo the online content, it just takes longer as the monster HP is scaled for more players.

You can still play against people online, my experience with online rando's has been largely very positive.

tuffy

There's essentially two independent sets of quests: Village and Guild. The Guild quests can be done either solo or with other players and monster defense is balanced for 2-3 people. Village quests can only be done single-player (including the optional AI helpers) and monster defense is balanced for 1 person. There's a ton of quests for both the Village and Guild lines and either one will take a lot of time to fully complete.

All I wanna kno':
  • How's the hammer holding up in gen...?
  • I heard you can't knock off a hunter riding a monster anymore. They didn't get rid of longsword spam interrupting friendlies did they?

Mupod

I played several hundred hours of solo MH on PSP before I ever played online in Tri.

There is solo-only content balanced for one person, and 'online' content where the monsters have more hp and are harder to stagger. You can beat everything in the game including the online stuff solo and offline, but other people make it easier.

I personally like both. Soloing feels like a very intense 1 on 1 experience, where it really is almost like Punch Out. I know some people that HATE soloing and only play online, but I wouldn't say the game is co-op only at all. I spend as much time solo as I do with others if not more, it's a different experience.

That said - you don't need to go alone, you're on GAF. Despite an ignorant drive by comment in this thread, GAF's MH community is amazing. There will always be someone willing to help and you don't need to worry about elitism or cliqueyness. People here are happy to guide new players, hell the last two MH game releases I just sat in the OT all day and did only that.

Ridley327

All I wanna kno':
  • How's the hammer holding up in gen...?
  • I heard you can't knock off a hunter riding a monster anymore. They didn't get rid of longsword spam interrupting friendlies did they?

From the demo, friendly fire across all weapons is still very much a thing.

Pheace

Absolutely worth it as a solo experience as well. 99% of my time in MH I've played solo (well, me and my felyne companions :3)

Raven77

So I am debating picking this up for my New 3DS but I also bought MH 4 when the N 3ds launched and only could make it a few hours in. Here are the issues I had. It was my first MH game i've ever played:

- The controls - I just couldn't wrap my head around them. Their were so many weapon types and each one seemed to have it's own control scheme. I could never get the hang of locking onto enemies, moving effectively, etc.

- The world "zones" and map - The map made no sense at all to me. I would go into a loading zone (transitioning from one part of an area to another) and it would look nothing like what I appeared to be walking towards. The maps were equally confusing. I wasted so much time trying to identify how the hell to get to wherever I was trying to get to. I play many open world games as it is my favorite type and I've never struggled with a game map before.

- The graphics were also a touch on the grainy side which got kind of annoying but was not that big of a deal.

Does this new one improve on those things or do you think i'm better waiting for a console version? Or getting MH 3 U for Wii U?

So I am debating picking this up for my New 3DS but I also bought MH 4 when the N 3ds launched and only could make it a few hours in. Here are the issues I had. It was my first MH game i've ever played:

- The controls - I just couldn't wrap my head around them. Their were so many weapon types and each one seemed to have it's own control scheme. I could never get the hang of locking onto enemies, moving effectively, etc.

- The world "zones" and map - The map made no sense at all to me. I would go into a loading zone (transitioning from one part of an area to another) and it would look nothing like what I appeared to be walking towards. The maps were equally confusing. I wasted so much time trying to identify how the hell to get to wherever I was trying to get to. I play many open world games as it is my favorite type and I've never struggled with a game map before.

- The graphics were also a touch on the grainy side which got kind of annoying but was not that big of a deal.

Does this new one improve on those things or do you think i'm better waiting for a console version?

-Controls are going to be the same, and yes, every weapon type plays and combos completely differently for the most part.

-The way maps work is going to be the same.

-4U on New 3DS looked/ran better than 4U on regular 3DS, while Gen on New 3DS apparently doesn't have as many perks compared to regular 3DS this time around. So if you had issues with the graphics on New 3DS on 4U, you'll likely have issues here.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Damn.
I just remembered they nerfed my dear Chargeblade
: (
: (

I don't see an improvement, really. All they've done instead is repeat a smaller texture, and the result is a less organic looking environment (this is particularly obvious in the distance where texture quality matches far less).

Though I'm generally disappointed by the presentation in Generations, it's still technically impressive but it lacks polish. The giant arrows at enter/exit points are really tasteless and could have been done more elegantly, and for some bizarre reason the dev team ruined the excellent 3D effect. Good 3D requires both depth and convergence, the depth shows how far away objects can physically be and convergence determines the separation between objects. MH4U had a balanced amount of both, but Generation only really has depth, so everything looks like it's far away from the player, even stuff that should appear close.

Kansoku

It's largely going to be the same. I suggest you check out the gaijin hunter videos on the weapons. He explains the controls and the combos, as well as the mechanics. For example, his MH4U videos.

It's not open world, so don't think of it as that. They're basically individual arenas which are interconnected, meaning, you can "travel" between them. You can see the connections, where each area connects with another, through the lines on the map. Sometimes these connections are only one way, so they will have arrows in the line.

Example.

Base connects to 1 and 2. 1 to Base, 3 and 4. 2 to Base, 6 and 7. 3 to 1 and 4. 4 to 1, 3, 5 and 10. 5 to 4 and 8. 6 to 2. 7 to 2, 8, 9 and 10. 8 to 7. 9 to 7. 10 to 4, 7 and 11. 11 to 10.

heringer

I don't see an improvement, really. All they've done instead is repeat a smaller texture, and the result is a less organic looking environment (this is particularly obvious in the distance where texture quality matches far less).

Well, whatever they did, the result is more appealing to me. Like I said, the N64 textures close to the character in MH4 are really, really jarring to me.

Top Bottom