• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rez Infinite |OT| Fear is the Mind Killer-App

KiraXD

More Area X levels via DLC would be awesome too (though id rather just a straight up Sequel)

My Rez HD Leaderboards for Direct Assault (233rd @ 1,186,630)
X67OP8h.jpg

muteki

I was able to finish areas 2-5 and X last night. This was my first time playing and really had a wonderful time. There is still quite a bit I haven't 100% yet but I can already tell I will want to go back and play a ton. The running man boss where he goes behind you was probably my favorite.

I had a bit of motion sickness after my first stint where I only did area 1 - felt like I was sweating a bit more than I should for the temperature and was a little disoriented. Didn't have any problems getting though the rest of the game last night. Can't wait to get back.

Area X was pretty damn cool.

But I gotta say, Area 5 is the one that really had me grinning. The music and environemnt was awesome and I love the dialogue inbetween worlds! That was so cool.

I'm a sucker for physical releases so I'm tempted to get the LE physical, but..... I've already bought Rez no fewer than four times in the past (NA, Japanese with vibrator, NA sealed, Qubed compilation) and it's getting a little hard to justify. And yet I still haven't beaten the final boss despite trying about a dozen times.

KiraXD

I'm a sucker for physical releases so I'm tempted to get the LE physical, but..... I've already bought Rez no fewer than four times in the past (NA, Japanese with vibrator, NA sealed, Qubed compilation) and it's getting a little hard to justify. And yet I still haven't beaten the final boss despite trying about a dozen times.

Ha yeah same... well, 3... PS2, HD, and iam8bit... HD was sooo good... and i couldnt pass on another physical version... ive spent hundreds of hours perfecting my scores XD

So, I just spent $460+ on a PSVR headset and camera just for one game...this game. Well, that's not entirely true, after playing the demo disc I want to get Thumper also. I pre-ordered the physical version as soon as it was announced, but that mid-November ship date is unfortunate. I'm starting to think "hey, what's $30 more?" and just buy the digital version to avoid the wait. I'll keep the physical copy sealed so I can gaze upon it lovingly 25 years from now when it goes for $300 on Ebay.

KiraXD

So, I just spent $460+ on a PSVR headset and camera just for one game...this game. Well, that's not entirely true, after playing the demo disc I want to get Thumper also. I pre-ordered the physical version as soon as it was announced, but that mid-November ship date is unfortunate. I'm starting to think "hey, what's $30 more?" and just buy the digital version to avoid the wait. I'll keep the physical copy sealed so I can gaze upon it lovingly 25 years from now when it goes for $300 on Ebay.

yeah im thinking of getting a PSVR for this as well... ive still not bought into VR that much, but i really really want it for Rez...

LiK

Area X was pretty damn cool.

But I gotta say, Area 5 is the one that really had me grinning. The music and environemnt was awesome and I love the dialogue inbetween worlds! That was so cool.

Area 5 was a revelation if you didn't know about it. One of the coolest reveals.

OmahaG8

Thanks! I've gone ahead and updated the OP headers with these. :)

--------------------

Exciting news for the thread - I have a digital code for Rez Infinite to give away for FREE! (Unfortunately the code is for US accounts only, apologies)

Now, I'm not a big fan of the 'First come, first served' form of giveaway, so I thought we'd try something a bit different. Every post made in this thread with 'Rez Code' in your post title in the next day I will consider an entry into the competition. I'll announce the winner in this thread at about 2pm BST on the 19th October. PLEASE NO EMPTY POSTS OR 'ME PLEASE' ENTRIES, THESE WON'T BE CONSIDERED AS THEY'LL CLOG THE THREAD.

If you write a more thoughtful post about why you deserve the Rez code or why you're a Rez fan then this may have an effect on the decision ;) - but mostly I'd also just love to see this thread become a bit of a Rez shrine of people talking about why they love the game!

Good luck to all entrants!

I can't say I deserve the code more than anyone else - in fact, I never even played Rez until the PS VR demo when it I got my headset last Thursday. Dreamcast is still and most likely forever to be my favorite console of all time - and I have no idea how I missed out on Rez during that time period.

I can say that I am in love with the music and I've been checking this thread daily in hopes of movement on people's iam8bit's orders, because I am a huge proponent of physical games, but the task of having to wait to play the full game until iam8bit gets their stuff in order is a daunting one. I think I've played this demo at least 15 times. I never "got it" from watching videos of it over the years, but after playing it, I totally get it.

"Just hook it to my veins!"

Shoeless

I have to admit, I missed Rez the first around, which is one of those regrets I've always had since I enjoy distinct on rails shooters. I did however, not completely miss this train, as I got the chance to play the PS3 version of Child of Eden when it finally made the jump from Kinect.

Having seen all the glowing praise for this game, and hearing that it's somehow related to Child of Eden, I'm enthusiastic about finally playing this game. I've already heard that Rez provides some almost transcendental experiences in VR, which I think I've already had to some degree with Here They Lie in later stages, so if this is anything like that, I'm all on board for a digital religious epiphany.

LiK

I have to admit, I missed Rez the first around, which is one of those regrets I've always had since I enjoy distinct on rails shooters. I did however, not completely miss this train, as I got the chance to play the PS3 version of Child of Eden when it finally made the jump from Kinect.

Having seen all the glowing praise for this game, and hearing that it's somehow related to Child of Eden, I'm enthusiastic about finally playing this game. I've already heard that Rez provides some almost transcendental experiences in VR, which I think I've already had to some degree with Here They Lie in later stages, so if this is anything like that, I'm all on board for a digital religious epiphany.

I also think Rez has a vastly superior soundtrack over Eden.

This game has always amazed me with its visuals and soundtrack. I used to own the import PS2 version, and now I have it on 360, but this is going to be the version that I will show my twin boys when they get old enough to appreciate it.

liquidtmd

Banned
It was 2002. Around the end of October. It was a very rainy month and I'd fallen out with my first true girlfriend. We'd been together around five years. I loved her but we'd both gone to separate universities and we were drifting. I knew it and she knew it.

We'd gotten into a cycle of either her coming to my uni (Stoke on Trent) or me going to her (Huddersfield). She had red flame hair and was incredible in bed. She was also temperamental, shy and sarcastic all in a bundle. We would meet on a Friday, go partying, drink, screw, feel something wasn't quite right on Saturday but power through it, do the same Saturday night and argue on the Sunday. Then cry. Then leave, declare we were splitting only to text each other on the Tuesday or Wednesday and say 'Hey let's meet this friday and try and work it out'....rinse and repeat. We did that for the last six months of our relationship (I know). It reached a head around the end of October and we broke all contact, knowing that was the only way we'd get each other out of our system. I was down in the dumps. My mates dragged me to a Morrissey (who I liked at the time but no longer in his bitter old age) gig in Birmingham the following week (reviews here on checking I didn't imagine it http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=02/10/23/0724224)

The following two days after that gig I had nothing to do. I remember I mooched into town and hit the local game shop, Forbidden Planet. It sold crazy stuff amongst the games. On the shelf I saw two games of interest - Garou mark of the wolves and Rez. I was a passionate fighter fan but I was feeling in the mood to take a punt and after having read about Rez I bought it. I hit home and started drinking some left over Jack Daniels. On Rez went and...GOOD LAAAAWWWWWD. For a game that I didn't think would have any depth, it absolutely hooked me I remember it so vividly. I played for about four hours straight on our shared houses MASSIVE 28 (lol) inch television. My housemates later joined me and we played it virtually for another day straight in a binge of drinking, talking and putting the world to rights.

I sold my Dreamcast due to things being tight back then at the start of 2003. I've never managed to play Rez again. I'm married and happy now, and seeing Rez keep popping in the front page has been bringing it all back. I've not managed to buy yet but the chance of a copy for my US profile...too good not to reminisce, so throw my hat in the ring for a chance to win. I'd like to hit up Rez as an almost time machine this weekend and see if my mythical lost two days with that bad boy 14 years ago live up to the present.

My god I rabble. I'm sat waiting to pick my daughter up in the car and typing this all on mobile. Sorry to derail, on with the Rez Infinite impressions!

Ferr986

I think both soundtracks were really good. Rez has the higher highs with Mind Killer but there's some really good stuff on CoE.

Also it tried to be a lil different, with being like a mix of various tracks per stage instead of one track. That probably can also be a problem for some because it doesn't let any track stand on it's own. Take Star Line (Stratos mix), where it only sounds for a tiny section, scrapping like 80% of the original track.

On the bad side CoE's music doesn't "meld" with the game as good as Rez, and the sound effects from enemies or your shooting aren't as good too. Sometimes they really clash with the music, instead of fusing perfectly with it. Again, Area 5 of Rez is a brilliant example on how to do it.

Allthough if we count Area X then yeah I'll choose Rez lol

EDIT: No Rez Code because i'm an EU peasant lol But yeah I discovered Rez on 360, even though I had a Dreamcast since day 1. Fantastic stuff! I also discovered the other Mizuguchi DC musical game, Space Channel 5, on 360. Another awesome (yet way different) game!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wonder if Lazy8s is around. He must be in 7th heaven over this.

I remember him and I were always going back and forth if PS2 version of Rez was better than DC version.

I would totally play a VR update of Child of Eden, even though the music is a bit meh, compared to Rez.

( I have a ripped-from-the-gamedata soundtrack for Rez in permanent rotation )

CLEEK

The bit in Area 5 when the cylindrical mother ship appears and the sample from California Soul plays is still the single greatest moment in all of videogaming.

KiraXD

Its funny, when i first heard about Rez back in the day... i was REALLY into the whole rave scene (late 90's early 00's) I read an interview with Mizuguchi where he said his experiences at raves directly influenced the look and feel of Rez and gave it the whole synesthesia vibe... i immediately ran out and bought the game on PS2 (I picked it up for my birthday that month, January 2002). lol. Immediately fell in love with it. It was a game i would take to my friends houses and would show everyone every chance i got. I even upgraded my sound system just for Rez. The music and sound design directly influenced my decision to purchase more music games i normally wouldnt have checked out. ( Every Extend Extra, Every Extend Extra Extreme, Frequency and Amplitude... which were ALSO some of my favorite! Amplitude even got an amazing Brand new sequel on PS4/XB1)

When It was released as Rez HD on 360... I FLIPPED out. I went out and bought extra controllers just to use them for the beat rumble when playing it lol. I spent hundreds of hours in Rez HD trying to get into the top of the leaderboards, which i actually did quite well... (i was ranked 200 a few years ago in Direct Assault, but now im sitting at 233rd, im STILL really proud of that) And I was SUPER hyped when Child of Eden got announced. (Though its not nearly as good as Rez imo... it felt more organic and pop-y, where Rez feels more digital/technical... Music in Rez is definitely better!)

And when i heard iam8bit was releasing a physical version for Rez Infinite... i preordered that day 1! (im just super sad that i cant play with everyone for another month while waiting for it... almost bought the digital version a few times, but been holding out since my wife would kill me if i purchased it twice... now that i have a 2 year old daughter, money cant be spent like that anymore... lol) XD

Cant wait for it to chill on my shelf next to these though:
bQAlbyj.png

Anyway... yeah.

Also, since theres no online leaderboards (from what ive heard... is that correct?) Id love to see what everyones scores are for each Area, and Direct Assault. as i posted earlier...

my Direct Assault score from Rez HD:

Anyone here beat that yet? ;P

Kyonashi

Ha yeah same... well, 3... PS2, HD, and iam8bit... HD was sooo good... and i couldnt pass on another physical version... ive spent hundreds of hours perfecting my scores XD

you don't have to put the title in every post you make, i've got your entry ;)

KiraXD

you don't have to put the title in every post you make, i've got your entry ;)

ha! oh dang, i misunderstood then, for some reason i thought you meant each post we personally make with that in the title... lol sorry (got a little too excited) XD

KiraXD

Side Note: During my raver days... I think '98 or '99 i actually saw Adam Freeland (Area 5) spin at some LA underground rave.

CLEEK

I remember him and I were always going back and forth if PS2 version of Rez was better than DC version.

I can't understand people who prefer the DC version over the PS2 version. The DC game ran at half the frame rate. The smooth 60fps-ness of the game is a key ingredient to what makes it so magical. The only improvement the DC version had was a very slight reducing in jaggy lines, but not worth the frame rate trade off at all.

Plus the PS2 had digital sound and the controller vibrated.

vsMIC

holy rez god, praised be your game, please enlight us with rez 2. your paradise x shall overvome us!

long time rez fan and finally played area x. what an experience even w/o psvr.

i feel young again...

KiraXD

I have a few other things im getting done first... but im adding this to my collection of geek tattoos (already have Darksiders, Death Note, and Deadpool tattoos) Getting a Battle Chasers tattoo first... but this is definitely going on my body...

hqGxcbu.png

I was under the impression that this game would support Stereo 3D and Move support without needing VR, like Child of Eden. I could have sworn someone said 3D support. I'm disappointed to see that it's not the case. Overall though, I'm really glad to have an HD version of this game (I had the DC Japanese import). One day I'll get PSVR and immerse myself.

Alucrid

Banned
are the lasers just cosmetic differences? and what exactly are the differences between the direct assault types? i think i've heard changes in the music, colors and enemies but am not 100% certain.

Jesus christ is there really a trophy for finishing Rez 30 times

30 areas in score attack.

Jesus christ is there really a trophy for finishing Rez 30 times

It's play score attack 30 times, in score attack you select an area so it's more like playing through Rez 6 times.
Also all of the trophies for the main game just correspond to the ways you unlock all of the Beyond Mode features, so it's not like it's an arbitrary grindfest just for the trophy.

robotrock

Banned

It's play score attack 30 times, in score attack you select an area so it's more like playing through Rez 6 times.
Also all of the trophies for the main game just correspond to the ways you unlock all of the Beyond Mode features, so it's not like it's an arbitrary grindfest just for the trophy.

Thanks guys, that's way more manageable than I thought.

can't for the life of me figure out how to get 95% shot ratio in area x

Alucrid

Banned
Thanks guys, that's way more manageable than I thought.

can't for the life of me figure out how to get 95% shot ratio in area x

at first i didn't realize that the orange/brown enemies at the end explode into more enemies, so if you didn't know that as well it's good to focus on them right after killing the one that spawns them

1upsuper

Is this the definitive version of Rez? I don't have VR but I've been wanting to play Rez for years but never got around to it. Is now the best time?

mcw

Is this the definitive version of Rez? I don't have VR but I've been wanting to play Rez for years but never got around to it. Is now the best time?

In VR, this is absolutely the definitive version of Rez. There's no question about that.

Without VR, this is still a must-own for Area X.

robotrock

Banned

Yep, non VR or with VR, absolutely the definitive version of Rez.
at first i didn't realize that the orange/brown enemies at the end explode into more enemies, so if you didn't know that as well it's good to focus on them right after killing the one that spawns them

Appreciate the tip

border

I don't know what to do. I am dying to play this game, but I ordered the physical version and the wait is killing me.

Should I just cancel my order from iam8bit and buy the digital version now? Is Thumper good enough to satisfy me until Rez discs finally get released?

I don't know what to do. I am dying to play this game, but I ordered the physical version and the wait is killing me.

Should I just cancel my order from iam8bit and buy the digital version now? Is Thumper good enough to satisfy me until Rez discs finally get released?

Are you playing in VR?

Thumper is really good. Different game from rez though. I'm not into physical so I would just buy it on PSN (especially if you're playing in VR, so you don't have to change discs).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I can't understand people who prefer the DC version over the PS2 version. The DC game ran at half the frame rate. The smooth 60fps-ness of the game is a key ingredient to what makes it so magical. The only improvement the DC version had was a very slight reducing in jaggy lines, but not worth the frame rate trade off at all.

Plus the PS2 had digital sound and the controller vibrated.
I preferred the PS2 version for those reasons as well, but it was unfortunately rendered at that PS2-interlaced mode that didn't look all that great. DC version on the other hand looked pretty awesome output over VGA.

KiraXD

I preferred the PS2 version for those reasons as well, but it was unfortunately rendered at that PS2-interlaced mode that didn't look all that great. DC version on the other hand looked pretty awesome output over VGA.

i never saw the DC version (sadly i never had a DC) but i thought the look of the PS2 version was perfect... it STILL holds up these days imo.

Shin-Ra

I was under the impression that this game would support Stereo 3D and Move support without needing VR, like Child of Eden. I could have sworn someone said 3D support. I'm disappointed to see that it's not the case. Overall though, I'm really glad to have an HD version of this game (I had the DC Japanese import). One day I'll get PSVR and immerse myself.
That might have been Bound which added s3D and PSVR support together.

The last trophy I need! 10 down, 20 to go.

Kyonashi

Sorry it's later than I said guys, but I had something come up.

Been great reading all your stories (special shoutout to liquidtmd, loved your history with the game and what it makes you think of) but unfortunately there can only be one winner.

I put all your names in a randomiser (two entries per person whose post I particularly enjoyed) in the interest of fairness, and the winner is...

KiraXD!

I can tell you were excited from the posts so hope this makes your day. ;) Check your inbox for the code.

Sorry to everyone else, I wish I had more codes to give!! I can only hope you all find the money (or the patience for your iam8bit versions) and come back here to post impressions.
Thanks all.

KiraXD

Sorry it's later than I said guys, but I had something come up.

Been great reading all your stories (special shoutout to liquidtmd, loved your history with the game and what it makes you think of) but unfortunately there can only be one winner.

I put all your names in a randomiser (two entries per person whose post I particularly enjoyed) in the interest of fairness, and the winner is...

KiraXD!

I can tell you were excited from the posts so hope this makes your day. ;) Check your inbox for the code.

Sorry to everyone else, I wish I had more codes to give!! I can only hope you all find the money (or the patience for your iam8bit versions) and come back here to post impressions.
Thanks all.

Oh man thanks so much! I was dying to play it... One playthrough of Area X and i dont think i blinked once... tears running down my face! ..cant wait to get through Score Attack... gotta practice chain-pathing and powerup linking. (Hint for higher score: Take your time with the Bosses, dont kill them quick, anything that doesnt directly hurt you can be chained for higher score (missles, enemies, projectiles)

1upsuper

Where has this game been all my life? Played through the first two levels and I'm in love. I've heard people praise Rez for years and years but only just now played it myself.

Top Bottom